April 26, 2024, 02:00:41 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 243084 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #1740 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
I like this diamanti change...this guy is mercurial

Absolutely! Probably the most impact-filled substitution I've seen all tournament. Aside from his insistence and dynamism, his left-footedness added variation to the attack. He also relieved Pirlo on corner kicks ... and, of course, anchoring with the penalty. It was also likely a sub that England did not anticipate. We should see more of him.

Prandelli has allocated responsibilities to his squad and supporting cast well. By my calculus, only Borini and Ogbunna have not been used thus far in the tournament (aside from the keepers).

I think JL will make a similar impacting adjustment for Germany in the semi-final, but in the starting lineup. Hard to say if he will gamble, but I liked the minutes I saw of Reus, the 'gladbach player.

For all of Italy's virtues, there are still liabilities that come with having Pirlo as the fulcrum of the squad. I say that even as I concede that he has been my definitive favourite player to watch in the Italian league (he and a reincarnated Cavani). His awareness and control of his body ... particularly the ease with which he wins fouls by positioning his body are subtleties that don't catch the eye like his passing, but they count.

Italy will have a challenge dealing with Germany's speed of transition. Prandelli gained yesterday by having a left-footed Diamanti to complement the attacking quality ... and Nocerino wasn't a labourer either. If he builds on that it will become interesting. For me although Pirlo is a solid holding mid, Italy lacks a disruptive bruiser in the mid who can also transition play faster. I know Pirlo has another gear. I've seen it, but he uses that only when absolutely necessary and not for a sustained period. The team is built around Pirlo, but that slows the ticker somewhat. A fast Germany and a slow Italy would be an Italian nightmare. Fortunately, I doh expect them to sit back.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »
i was thinking it was just me who find spain boring. effective but boring.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spain-wont-change-despite-boring-tag-alonso-125024735--sow.html

I not saying be ah ass an' fall in ah counter attack trap hook line and sinker, but dem fellas have enough talent for targeted small incursion into d other team box without risking everything ah mean bomb rush dem open ah hole and shoot for fuuck sake, all d talk man talkin bout spain ability to possess d ball what about dey ability to get it back....dey dam good at it so wutdf**kk shoot lil bit nah, try to buss tru d fence nah....yuh goh get back d ball anyway.......but playin one touch in d middle ah d park whole game cause man refuse to jus let yuh wine on dey head, come nah man............

lol

Yuh know, I'se always mix you up with Just Cool!
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
I eh think Germany gonna let Pirlo just stand in midfield and spray balls all over d park like England did yesterday. Naturally Pirlo lies deep in midfield and that will help of course free up space but tactically i'm pretty sure they will try to deny him touches.

What i saw from the game was an old fashioned tough italian defense. They surely dont have the legendary names of yesteryear but is the same defensive philosophy that they will not be broken down easily. They took away the wingplay on both sides and England was pretty much stalled as an attacking threat.

Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: June 25, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spain-wont-change-despite-boring-tag-alonso-125024735--sow.html

I not saying be ah ass an' fall in ah counter attack trap hook line and sinker, but dem fellas have enough talent for targeted small incursion into d other team box without risking everything ah mean bomb rush dem open ah hole and shoot for fuuck sake, all d talk man talkin bout spain ability to possess d ball what about dey ability to get it back....dey dam good at it so wutdf**kk shoot lil bit nah, try to buss tru d fence nah....yuh goh get back d ball anyway.......but playin one touch in d middle ah d park whole game cause man refuse to jus let yuh wine on dey head, come nah man............

lol

Yuh know, I'se always mix you up with Just Cool!

doh come did dat I doh express myself quite as "loud" and I not even then ranting, just like to be profanely satirical bout tings dat irk :D
I pity the fool....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »

Yeah they refuse to play anything but a sure ball.  No risks going forward, the chasing team can't get the ball, and if the defenders and block those openings, Spain just pass the ball in triangles in the midfield like vs France.  At Barca those men can pass to Messi who makes it exciting.  For Spain in this tournament they don't even have a striker to pass to.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
....apparently, Buffon had made it clear in a (pregame?) press conference? that there is no way ashley young was going to score on him....or Ashley Cole, for that matter. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81200188@N06/7439590022/sizes/m/in/photostream/

:D

Arright, Die Hard, look ah fix it.   :beermug: :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
hahaaha...many have tried to mark pirlo out of games...antonio conte found 2 answers to that during the season...ill watch thursday to see if he gave prandelli a call...one has to do with bonnucci and the other simply has to do with marchisio and de rossi..and dont forget that marchisio can distribute the ball well too...it will be suicidal of ze germans to focus on pirlo when we have other players capable of dealing blows...heil hitler better than that...i think thursday maybe a game for giovinco to partner balotelli...

and as fuh buffon..as if d two ashleys wasnt enough...u think he wud let ah manschaaft bore he?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:33:42 AM by mukumsplau »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »

Yeah they refuse to play anything but a sure ball.  No risks going forward, the chasing team can't get the ball, and if the defenders and block those openings, Spain just pass the ball in triangles in the midfield like vs France.  At Barca those men can pass to Messi who makes it exciting.  For Spain in this tournament they don't even have a striker to pass to.

Under all the old talk about Spain, the no striker argument really not being looked at clear enough.
Spain remains the second top scoring team in the tournaments final 4.
germany have 9 goals
spain have      8 goals
portugal have  6 goals
italy have        4 goals
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: June 25, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »

Under all the old talk about Spain, the no striker argument really not being looked at clear enough.
Spain remains the second top scoring team in the tournaments final 4.
germany have 9 goals
spain have      8 goals
portugal have  6 goals
italy have        4 goals

I not makin a no striker argument, that is just an observation.  The more important point is that when they play for Barca, they not as boring because they have Messi.  Even with a striker they still do their triangles possession until the next team fall asleep.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 25, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
Interesting quote:

“How many strikers do you think Barcelona use? No strikers means that there’s not one referent point, but five different mobile reference points…set formations are an obsolete way to look at football …centre backs prefer a number 9 due to familiarity of being able to mark them” - Guillem Balagué.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 25, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
For me although Pirlo is a solid holding mid, Italy lacks a disruptive bruiser in the mid who can also transition play faster. I know Pirlo has another gear. I've seen it, but he uses that only when absolutely necessary and not for a sustained period. The team is built around Pirlo, but that slows the ticker somewhat. A fast Germany and a slow Italy would be an Italian nightmare. Fortunately, I doh expect them to sit back.

I always thought Pirlo was a playmaker.  Not a holding mid.

Pirlo remind me very much of Valderrama
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 25, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
more racism @ euro 2012.

WARSAW (Reuters) - The German Football Association (DFB) has been fined 25,000 euros ($31,200) for the improper conduct of their supporters during the 2-1 Group B defeat of Denmark on June 17, UEFA said in a statement on Monday.

Spectators set off fireworks, chanted inappropriately and displayed offensive banners, one of which was "neo-nazi", according to the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) protest group.

Germany, with four wins from four games so far and who are in semi-final action against Italy at Warsaw's National Stadium on Thursday, can appeal but must do so within 24 hours.

The DFB has already been fined 10,000 euros at Euro 2012 when German fans threw what appeared to be rolled up pieces of paper at Portugal players during their June 9 match, also in Lviv.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
For me although Pirlo is a solid holding mid, Italy lacks a disruptive bruiser in the mid who can also transition play faster. I know Pirlo has another gear. I've seen it, but he uses that only when absolutely necessary and not for a sustained period. The team is built around Pirlo, but that slows the ticker somewhat. A fast Germany and a slow Italy would be an Italian nightmare. Fortunately, I doh expect them to sit back.

I always thought Pirlo was a playmaker.  Not a holding mid.

Pirlo remind me very much of Valderrama

Yuh read my mind on 2 fronts.

First, fair as to the comparison. I think Pibe was a lil more of a rhythm player.. His angulation and blind passes might have been more pronounced than Pirlo's, buh again those are esoteric things. He definitely was more wutless than Pirlo. Valid comparison.

Playmaker or holding mid? I expected that comment to raise a question. Yes, I took some liberty there because of the attributes. Judge for yourself:

Role of Holding Midfielder

The holding midfield player has numerous responsibilities. Physical speed is not considered a
major factor for players in this position (although it never hurts) as this is, really, a sweeper in
front of the back players with little need to make long searching runs.
A low center of gravity, helps as this player, generally, does a lot of tackling.

Mentally, a thorough awareness of player movement, especially on the weak side of the field
and anticipation of when a pass is about to be made by an opposing player are excellent
psychological qualities. Continual swiveling of the head is a characteristic of good holding
midfielders.

Some of the tasks of the holding midfielder are as follows;

Defending
• Slowing down counter attacks
• Picking up, what is commonly called, the “shadow center forward” who plays behind the
lead or target center forward.
• Screens the center backs and picks off passes meant for center forwards. The holding
midfield player is in an ideal position to double team a center forward who is being held
up by a back line player.

Attacking
• Receiving ball from back players and relaying the ball to the forwards or other attacking
players.
• Being in a position to receive the ball from back line players whio are under pressure and
need a simple passing option.
• Available to change the point of attack. This is helped by virtue of the fact that the
holding player generally plays behind the other midfielders.
• Starts counter attacks with long passes or runs ball forward (only if another midfielder
holds).
• Holds in a central position to allow outside backs to go forward.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
Lippi used Pirlo to join the back line with the midfield and attack in 2006. He was not a holding Mid Per say ie Ball Winner (though he sat in that pocket) but a deep lying plamaker. he also had the license to move forward. Guardolia and Koeman played a similar role for Cruyff, at Barca and Ajax. Carlos V played more advanced & in my books was one of the best passers I have ever seen.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 25, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »
This is sad.  :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan death
Report: Fatigued Chinese fan dies

ESPN.com news services

A soccer fan in China has died after staying up for 11 straight nights to watch every game of Euro 2012, according to a report in Chinese newspaper Sanxiang Metropolis.

Jiang Xiaoshan, 26, died after Ireland's 2-0 defeat to Italy on June 18, according to the report.

Because of the time difference between China and the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, games would air at midnight and 2:45 a.m. local time. Jiang went to work after watching the matches.

"We would rest occasionally but he watched everyday and would not miss a single match," one friend told the Sanxiang Metropolis, according to a translation by British newspaper The Telegraph.

"Jiang was in good health. But staying up through the night and not sleeping enough weakened his immune system and he drank and smoked while watching the football, triggering his condition," Liu Zhiling, a doctor from the local People's Hospital ER, told the Chinese paper.

http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1114008/reportfatigued-chinese-fan-dies.html

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: June 25, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
....apparently, Buffon had made it clear in a (pregame?) press conference? that there is no way ashley young was going to score on him....or Ashley Cole, for that matter. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81200188@N06/7439590022/sizes/m/in/photostream/

:D

Arright, Die Hard, look ah fix it.   :beermug: :beermug:

:cheers: finally
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 25, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
This is sad.  :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan death
Report: Fatigued Chinese fan dies

ESPN.com news services

A soccer fan in China has died after staying up for 11 straight nights to watch every game of Euro 2012, according to a report in Chinese newspaper Sanxiang Metropolis.

Jiang Xiaoshan, 26, died after Ireland's 2-0 defeat to Italy on June 18, according to the report.

Because of the time difference between China and the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, games would air at midnight and 2:45 a.m. local time. Jiang went to work after watching the matches.

"We would rest occasionally but he watched everyday and would not miss a single match," one friend told the Sanxiang Metropolis, according to a translation by British newspaper The Telegraph.

"Jiang was in good health. But staying up through the night and not sleeping enough weakened his immune system and he drank and smoked while watching the football, triggering his condition," Liu Zhiling, a doctor from the local People's Hospital ER, told the Chinese paper.

http://espnfc.com/us/en/news/1114008/reportfatigued-chinese-fan-dies.html

That is a football peong
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 25, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Allyuh eh make out this England fan trying to distract Diamanti on his penalty kick?  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 25, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
Lippi used Pirlo to join the back line with the midfield and attack in 2006. He was not a holding Mid Per say ie Ball Winner (though he sat in that pocket) but a deep lying plamaker. he also had the license to move forward. Guardolia and Koeman played a similar role for Cruyff, at Barca and Ajax. Carlos V played more advanced & in my books was one of the best passers I have ever seen.

Interesting discussion. Italy is abt to face Germany with a much heralded Pirlo, and mention of Pibe reminds me of that WICKED!!! crafty pass he played to Freddy Rincon to bring Colombia level with Germany and to get out of WC group play. Pibe without a doubt played in a more advanced position. (Of course he sometimes showed deep for balls coming from that advanced position buh that's nothing revolutionary).

Anyway, yuh just add plenty to the discussion because iz precisely the mix of license, playing qualities and reality that much comes down to how the functionality of a position/responsibility are interpreted that prompted me to not view him through a strict lens. Such a versatile player, yet not everyone's cup of tea.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #1759 on: June 25, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
joe hart real bump his gums and he eh touch ah ball in the shootout.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 25, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »

Hart completed more passes than any other England player - 45.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »

Lol... I was thinking same thing today... not the fact that he bump he gums, I dunno about that, but more the fact that it look like he was trying to psych Balotelli out... and I doh think he come close to one ball, lol

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »

He is in a no-win situation and the odds are disproportionately stacked against his success so he have to do whatever he can to try and throw off his opponents....if it mean bumpin' he gums is no big deal.  Psychological warfare.  Gamesmanship......
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:39:22 PM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 25, 2012, 08:44:35 PM »
Man City Keeper ? not a f**k was given , he could rot
Youtube Channel

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 25, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »

Interesting discussion. Italy is abt to face Germany with a much heralded Pirlo, and mention of Pibe reminds me of that WICKED!!! crafty pass he played to Freddy Rincon to bring Colombia level with Germany and to get out of WC group play. Pibe without a doubt played in a more advanced position. (Of course he sometimes showed deep for balls coming from that advanced position buh that's nothing revolutionary).

Anyway, yuh just add plenty to the discussion because iz precisely the mix of license, playing qualities and reality that much comes down to how the functionality of a position/responsibility are interpreted that prompted me to not view him through a strict lens. Such a versatile player, yet not everyone's cup of tea.

pirlo was put into that deep lying playmaking role by his coach at brescia . he was a trequartista but the coach was marvellin at how d man could just dictate that play and distribute that ball so clean....and the rest was history..

juiventus revived him...pirlo probably played 35+ games in league last season...the majority full 90 minutes...the training regime, medical staff we have are excellent...and not to mention the team chemistry that we have it was as if he was reborn because as he put it he finally started back enjoying football since he came to turin...and it shows....juventus play a possession and pressing game with a lot of movement...marchisio and especially vidal contribute to pirlo's resurgence as it is they who allow him to flourish the way he does...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
There was an excellent article i read some time ago on the Champions League a while back that talks about Pirlo's transformation and how he revolutionized that defensive midfielder role to function as a deep lying playmaker. How he breaks up play through his interpretation of space and cuts out passing lanes rather than function through grit and brawn.

Sadly, i trying to search fuh de damn thing and all google results giving me is articles about the penalty and the game yesterday. Cyah find the thing at all.

This google circles thing is something else yes.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #1766 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »

Lol... I was thinking same thing today... not the fact that he bump he gums, I dunno about that, but more the fact that it look like he was trying to psych Balotelli out... and I doh think he come close to one ball, lol

i curious to know what balotelli told him after scoring...hart was trying to psych ppl out but he did not like he was trying to save crap.

on another note Bakes, what u think about milner?  England doesnt have any better options?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 25, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
juiventus revived him...pirlo probably played 35+ games in league last season...the majority full 90 minutes...the training regime, medical staff we have are excellent...and not to mention the team chemistry that we have it was as if he was reborn because as he put it he finally started back enjoying football since he came to turin...and it shows....juventus play a possession and pressing game with a lot of movement...marchisio and especially vidal contribute to pirlo's resurgence as it is they who allow him to flourish the way he does...

Assholery to de max.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »
i curious to know what balotelli told him after scoring...hart was trying to psych ppl out but he did not like he was trying to save crap.

on another note Bakes, what u think about milner?  England doesnt have any better options?

Dred you musse miss the post where I was wondering how the hell he still starting fuh England.  De man slow and lacking for skills... no way you could convince me he starting ahead of Walcott... limitations in Theo's game and all.  Theo need steady run... unfair to expect that youth to produce the minute he steps in the pitch, which is precisely how they've been using him his whole career (both Arsenal and England).  At least there is better quality around him on the club... what is Capello and Roy story? 

I think Milner provides experience and toughness to a City team that has more than its share of prima donnas... but Englad full ah players like that in midfield already... he surplus to requirement.  It tells the tale the fact that his replacement was Jordan Henderson in that match.  That's what English fans have to look forward to... lol.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 26, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
Milner starts for England cause he perfectly suits the typical English coward mentality when it come to football.

He is hard working and offers alot defensively, will track back, grit his teeth and guaranteed to always "put in a shift".

Starting Walcott over him would be too "adventurous" for England, especially with another attacking winger Ashley Young starting on the other side. Imagine if he went on a run and got caught up the field.. oh the horror!

Milner is nothing more than a workhorse.. I remember when he was getting all kinda pips and rating and scoring goals for Villa and he start in a friendly against Brazil. He ketch Maicon one on one on the by-line and try to hit him a fan and collect the jam of his life. That whole game he get exposed as just a run of the mill EPL 'star'.

Players like Parker, Barry and Milner will always find favor in England because they possess typical English qualities.. But they will never make a note on the international stage because they lack creativity and inventiveness which is a much bigger factor at international level than at club level.

Hodgson said it himself... At the end of the day, Italy had a player that had the immense level of confidence to try a chip in the shootout while all the English players were desperately trying to score the penalties they practiced. Go figure.

1]; } ?>