April 28, 2024, 02:32:36 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 243434 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Spain are the team to beat: Dwight Yorke on Euro 2012.
« Reply #2010 on: June 30, 2012, 06:00:52 AM »
Spain are the team to beat: Dwight Yorke on Euro 2012.
By DNA Correspondent.

Having moved to England from Trinidad and Tobago to pursue professional football in the late 1980s — a period when the foreign players were starting to make a mark in the English league – Dwight Yorke remembers the frequent racist remarks directed towards him. At the time, there weren’t any anti-racism rules and even if there were, the issue wasn’t considered to be quite as serious.

“It’s a very touchy subject. I have played and lived in England for the past 24 years and I have played with a lot of black players. I too have been a victim of racist comments,” Yorke said.

There’s little doubt that racism is one of the biggest issues that has marred international football. The ongoing European Championship has witnessed more than once incident of a player being racially abused. In fact, Europe’s governing body UEFA attracted a lot of criticism following its decision to levy a hefty fine on Denmark’s Nicklas Bendtner for ambush marketing while not dealing with more serious issues like racism with similar urgency.

He insisted that the FIFA and UEFA are dealing with the subject with a lot of seriousness. He cited the example of England and Chelsea defender John Terry, who will be facing a trial for racially abusing QPR’s Anton Ferdinand. Terry’s case, Yorke suggested, could prove to be a landmark one. “Football has now become a global sport. There’s a minority down there who bring disrespect; we’ve all kinds of people out there. But FIFA is taking it seriously.

The Terry case shows that. What happens there will be very interesting to see,” said Yorke.

Talking about the European championship, Yorke conceded that Spain are the team to beat yet again. “You need a bit of luck some times and they deserved some of it. Spain have been good and whoever meets them in the final will have a huge challenge.

Though I feel Germany can give them a tough time, they have a tough semifinal opponent in Italy. So it’s not easy at all,” he said.

He was also of the opinion that the much-debated goal-line technology will come into place very soon, especially after the fiasco during the Ukraine-England match, where the co-hosts were denied a goal despite the ball crossing the line. “There are additional referees on the lines now. But I think in future this (introduction of goal-line technology) will happen. Too much is at stake,” said the 40-year-old Trinidadian.

Yorke, who was in the city for the Airtel-Manchester United promotional event, said lack of infrastructure and the cricket-crazy attitude is only an excuse and it should not hold India back. “Look at me. I come from a place where we had horrendous grounds.

Even my country is crazy about cricket. Still, I went to England and played for all the top clubs there. It’s not impossible. If you’re good, then you’ll be noticed. And it’s difficult to believe that there aren’t any good players in India,” he said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #2011 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Fabregas and Ramos unfazed by Balotelli
Reuters - Yesterday, 15:38

The threat of Italy striker Mario Balotelli and the propsect of an unprecedented treble occupied Spain's Cesc Fabregas and Sergio Ramos before Sunday's Euro 2012 final but neither thought those obstacles too big to overcome.

Spain face the Italians at the Olympic Stadium bidding to become the first national side to win three successive major honours following their triumphs at Euro 2008 and the World Cup in South Africa two years ago.

Balotelli, who scored both goals in Italy's 2-1 win over Germany in Thursday's semi-final in Warsaw, is at last on top form and joint leading scorer in the tournament with three goals. He must be stopped if Spain are to retain their title.

Barcelona's Fabregas, when at Arsenal, played against Manchester City striker Balotelli in the Premier League the season before last, and knows better than most members of the Spanish squad what his qualities are.

"I think he is a great player. He showed that yesterday," said Fabregas.

"He had two fantastic moments and scored two great goals. One a true center-forward's header and the other one from a real cracking shot from outside the area in a European Championship semi-final against a top team like Germany.

"This tells you everything. I really liked they way he played and he will be, of course, a threat as well as [Antonio] Cassano or any other forward who plays with Italy.

"They are always very dangerous, but we have the players to stop them. We have defended well. We have to neutralise their attack and midfield where [Andrea] Pirlo is the player, otherwise he will take control of the match.

Fabregas has already scored against Italy in this tournament, netting the equaliser in a 1-1 draw in their opening group game, while Ramos has played every minute of this campaign.

HIGH LEVEL

Like all their players he is fully aware that Spain can achieve an unprecedented treble on Sunday, but was trying to keep the expectations of his nation in perspective.

"We have to be realistic about Sunday's challenge.

"We need to play at a high level and, basically, we need to be at an unbeatable level because up until today, nobody has been able to achieve three titles in a row and we have the possibility to do it.

"It takes a lot of years of work, humility, sacrifice and now is the time to enjoy these moments.

"As I said the other day, no matter what happens on Sunday, Spain has already made history.

"It is evident that this is not over yet because it is evident that our goal is to win this trophy.

"And even if we do lose, which can happen as we can't win all the time, we will go home very proudly knowing that we made every possible effort to win and if we win, we will enjoy the moment with everyone at home," he added.

Spain go into the final having lost only three of their last 48 World Cup and European Championship fixtures and have not conceded a goal in nine successive knockout stage matches in finals.

Italy are also, suddenly, the form team as they bid for their first European title since 1968. That could be an omen for Balotelli, whose Manchester City team last month won their first English League title since 1968.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: June 30, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
Couldn't get chance to watch the game, but I woulda been rooting for Germany because they are one of my European teams, and because I usually can't stand Italy.  That said, I happy for Balotelli... two sweet goals, and an equally sweet gesture to honor his adoptive mother.  That moment was a thumb in the face of all the racists in Italy who would deny him as their own.  I can't stand catenaccio, and to Prandelli's credit he has changed the tactical mentality of the squad since taking over, making them more enjoyable to watch. 

Sunday will be the first time I will be rooting for Italy since the 94 final against Brazil.  Then I rooted for them because of Baggio... and because everybody else was on the Brazil bandwagon.  This time I'll root for them because I can't stand the whiny ass Spanish players, because their Federation does little to combat racism... and yes, because I want Balotelli to win yet another trophy.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: June 30, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »
Couldn't get chance to watch the game, but I woulda been rooting for Germany because they are one of my European teams, and because I usually can't stand Italy.  That said, I happy for Balotelli... two sweet goals, and an equally sweet gesture to honor his adoptive mother.  That moment was a thumb in the face of all the racists in Italy who would deny him as their own.  I can't stand catenaccio, and to Prandelli's credit he has changed the tactical mentality of the squad since taking over, making them more enjoyable to watch. 

Sunday will be the first time I will be rooting for Italy since the 94 final against Brazil.  Then I rooted for them because of Baggio... and because everybody else was on the Brazil bandwagon.  This time I'll root for them because I can't stand the whiny ass Spanish players, because their Federation does little to combat racism... and yes, because I want Balotelli to win yet another trophy.

And what exactly is the Italian Federation doing to combat racism???
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »

I'm really not sure what yuh nitpicking about... I thought I was making it clear that they are the lesser of two evils, where I'm concerned? What did the Spanish Federation do to Aragones for his slur against Thierry Henry?  To the Madrid fans who racially abused Emile Heskey and Ashley Cole? All that aside, at least the Italian Federation have a black man in the team though, Marcos Senna had a good run with Spain 4 years ago then never get call up again. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:13:33 PM by Bakes »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: June 30, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »

fine after fine after fine...if the clubs' fans keep acting up then you are forced to play in an empty stadium and further sanctions are placed on you if things persist. lazio are some of the biggest perpatrators with their nazi salutes and monkey chants etc

i guess it comes down to the anti-racism laws in that country. like UK...they seem to have a no nonsense approach where that is concerned...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 01, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »

I'm really not sure what yuh nitpicking about... I thought I was making it clear that they are the lesser of two evils, where I'm concerned? What did the Spanish Federation do to Aragones for his slur against Thierry Henry?  To the Madrid fans who racially abused Emile Heskey and Ashley Cole? All that aside, at least the Italian Federation have a black man in the team though, Marcos Senna had a good run with Spain 4 years ago then never get call up again. 

Not nick picking at all. Did not agree or disagree, I simply asked a question!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 01, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
Not nick picking at all. Did not agree or disagree, I simply asked a question!

Well ah find yuh aks it with too much bass in yuh voice  ;D

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: July 01, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

fine after fine after fine...if the clubs' fans keep acting up then you are forced to play in an empty stadium and further sanctions are placed on you if things persist. lazio are some of the biggest perpatrators with their nazi salutes and monkey chants etc

i guess it comes down to the anti-racism laws in that country. like UK...they seem to have a no nonsense approach where that is concerned...

The fines these teams have to pay is pocket change.. hand out some REAL fines and I bet they will star actually caring about the whole racism thing. Additionally (I'm asking as I don't know) which team /s were made to play behind closed doors due to racism? I know there were games, but wasn't clear if it was due to racism.

The 'fans' have to say f**k-this and stand up, so too the players on the field.. show some balls solidarity.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 01, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
As a neutral ah just want good, sweet, drama filled football.....and Balotelli to score....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 01, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Predictions, anybody?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 01, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
As a neutral ah just want good, sweet, drama filled football.....and Balotelli to score....

Same here!

And this one is hard to call. I only hope they don't play over cautious and therefore boring.

Balo has to also watch the  :yellowcard: he pick up in the last match fuh pulling off he shirt (stupid rule).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:31:12 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 01, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
BALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
very physical game so far already

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 01, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »
Spain look like they want to shrug off the "boring" tag. This game settling into a spain vs the defense pattern too early for me.

The knock is stupendous though.

Mcmanaman has never met a pass or shot he couldn't do better.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »
Goal Sah!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »
spain takes the lead via David Silva 1-0 14th min

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 01, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Spanish Aramada has set sail...................like DHW supporting the Italians
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2030 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
ETHPAIN!

damn satellite acting up now? or is that my cable? Got a frozen screen.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »
What de hell the feed gone jus so....     :frustrated:

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 01, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »
ETHPAIN!

Same here the feed is very choppy and went away for a while. Like it back now!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 01, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Can"t say I didn't see that goal coming, this first 20 mins has been mostly Spain so far......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2034 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
ETHPAIN!

Same here the feed is very choppy and went away for a while. Like it back now!

Big Up!

They are saying bad weather in NY is causing problems with the downlink.

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 01, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
great goal for spain 2-0 at 42nd min. Could this be the new style of play from Spain 4-6-0 for the 2014 campaign?

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 01, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
Iker is on point with those saves

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 01, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
De Aramada cannons firing on the port side, the star-board, from de bow and hitting de Italians in de Stern   :devil:

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 01, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
Italy fraid to send numbers forward......and no one supporting when Ballotelli play the hold up role   >:(    they will be in for a long night if they keep that up. Fortune favors the brave. A complete turn around from how they played vs Germany. Spain did not approach this game as the Germans did, all haugthy. Spain is nuetralizing Marchisimo and Pirlo getting the ball deep so no service for Cassano.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 01, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
Well, well, well......Spain look like dey going and break that drought against Italy at a competitive level.....from what I've seen so far, I eh think Italy have it to come back from this 2 - 0 deficit.....that Spanish defence solid like a rock and when Italy break that down.....Cassilas in de back dey stopping wind....

Let me go for more popcorn.....and somebody check on Dinho and Mukumsplau....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

1]; } ?>