March 29, 2024, 12:37:57 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 241959 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Euro Thread.
« Reply #2550 on: July 12, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
During the course of the tournament, I noticed that England had a base of supporters among Trinbagonians. This surprised me. I almost swear there was a moment in time when Trinbagonians "respected" English football but would NOT support an English team.
you’re quite wrong with that assumption. I am a colchester, west brom and a lions fan, I love the lions as well as countless trinis jamaicans and Africans. the reason why Caribbeans did not support England in the past was because they ignored some wonderfully talented players like Garth crooks for instance, so the older Caribbeans was never interested in supporting English football let alone go to the parks for club games be because of the racist intent and lack of representation.

It was only after John barns made the English team did caribbean people in my generation started paying serious attention to the lions, and as the years rolled on the second and third generation English born caribbean and african fans became more interested. the reason why most caribbeans don’t support their caribbean home football teams is because they are shit…..putting it quite frankly, and there are lots of trinis who follow England for that reason, in fact there are lots of trinis who were crushed by this loss including my cousins, in fact I’m crushed TBH.

I believe southgate got it wrong wrong wrong by playing a defensive strategy and even more wrong for brining on rashford and sancho at the end of the game when they should have been introduced for the whole 30 mins of extra time, and even more wrong for letting them kick penalties without a full 20 minutes of action, none the less I’m disturbed by this loss….maybe we’ll win the world cup and make up for it….maybe.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:05:13 PM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 12, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »
During the course of the tournament, I noticed that England had a base of supporters among Trinbagonians. This surprised me. I almost swear there was a moment in time when Trinbagonians "respected" English football but would NOT support an English team.
you’re quite wrong with that assumption. I am a colchester, west brom and a lions fan, I love the lions as well as countless trinis jamaicans and Africans. the reason why Caribbeans did not support England in the past was because they ignored some wonderfully talented players like Garth crooks for instance, so the older Caribbeans was never interested in supporting English football let alone go to the parks for club games be because of the racist intent and lack of representation.

It was only after John barns made the English team did caribbean people in my generation started paying serious attention to the lions, and as the years rolled on the second and third generation English born caribbean and african fans became more interested. the reason why most caribbeans don’t support their caribbean home football teams is because they are shit…..putting it quite frankly, and there are lots of trinis who follow England for that reason, in fact there are lots of trinis who were crushed by this loss including my cousins, in fact I’m crushed TBH.

I believe southgate got it wrong wrong wrong by playing a defensive strategy and even more wrong for brining on rashford and sancho at the end of the game when they should have been introduced for the whole 30 mins of extra time, and even more wrong for letting them kick penalties without a full 20 minutes of action, none the less I’m disturbed by this loss….maybe we’ll win the world cup and make up for it….maybe.

Oh, so you have somewhere else to be if you're not here. :devil:

No assumption made, merely inquiring. You are spot on about Garth Crooks and the why of that period. In my view, the legacy of Crooks' exclusion has evolved but is still part of a pernicious aspect of England, magnified by Windrush revelations ... the same people that called into 606 cussing Sterling in recent time have been the ones with amnesia as they marched to the final.

There isn't a Cross of St. George I would waive for football.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:34:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 12, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »
The few English supporters I know do so out of an affinity for the Premier League.  I happy for dem....I root for every team that plays against England.  De trophy must never go home....

p.s. I watched de game with some friends including a man who spent most of his life in England and moved back to Trinidad about 5 - 6 years ago.  He was NOT backing England....the 6 of us all supported Italy...... ;D ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: July 12, 2021, 10:43:09 PM »
The few English supporters I know do so out of an affinity for the Premier League.  I happy for dem....I root for every team that plays against England.  De trophy must never go home....

p.s. I watched de game with some friends including a man who spent most of his life in England and moved back to Trinidad about 5 - 6 years ago.  He was NOT backing England....the 6 of us all supported Italy...... ;D ;D
i understand your sentiments on good ole john bull dog and his checkered past, but at the same time in your disgust for one team, you must also be careful as to whom you lend your support too, and i could tell you that italy is no haven for black people especially in football.

as bad as england is perceived you don't have black players being tormented and abused at league games in any tier, not even when i first came to england, but to this day black players are subject to monkey chants, nazi salutes and all manner of abuse by the italian fans in the stands and very little is done if any at all to deal with these obvious infractions.

this still happens today in the top five leagues in europe with the exception of the english leagues, and if it does happen the individual is pointed out by the fans and is banned for life, in addition to that there are under cover stewards in the stands monitoring all manner of ill conduct to ensure a level of civility is maintained at all times, but in loveable italy, spain, france, portugal and russia black players and left to deal with these insipid fans and their racial taunts.

never forget how they treated super marrio, even his own team mates hated the fact that he was representing italy. countries with this ethnocentric culture that leans towards nationalism and exclusion are the biggest culprits of racist xenophobia, mexico, spain, italy, russia and the whole of the eastern block, and  to some extent the orient who may not throw bananas or make stupid noises, but they IMO would love to keep their leagues homogenous for the most part.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 12, 2021, 11:04:07 PM »

Oh, so you have somewhere else to be if you're not here. :devil:

No assumption made, merely inquiring. You are spot on about Garth Crooks and the why of that period. In my view, the legacy of Crooks' exclusion has evolved but is still part of a pernicious aspect of England, magnified by Windrush revelations ... the same people that called into 606 cussing Sterling in recent time have been the ones with amnesia as they marched to the final.

There isn't a Cross of St. George I would waive for football.
you must remember i spend much more of my time in england than any where else, and as much as i know how utterly shitty the brits can be, a part of me see it as home. and TBH i don't see the caribbean as any less racist than england. in fact i saw this in my own household.

my mother is half indian black and french creole and my dad is white chinese and black, his mother never liked my mom because she was darker than my dad, mean while she loved my mother's dad because he was a french creole white skinned man, plus she was married to a black and white mixed man, and even though he was very light with gray eyes he still had black blood, so you trinis are just as jacked up as the brits who sired you.

another thing you all don't know is that english whites talk a lot of shite but at the emd of the day means very little of it, in fact  when you get down to it all they have a lot of lip, but they don't attack black people like in the old days of the teddy boys and the races do actually get along quite well, at least better than here in the states where white people avoid blacks at every end.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 13, 2021, 12:04:18 AM »

I beg to differ asylum. Ever since I following football and that is from the mid 60s, England and the clubs teams have had a strong following. Just go back to the names of clubs of the past. Straight otta of England. But that did not mean everything was all English. South America and Brazil were very popular. The Brazilians fostered great fantasy. Garrincha and Pele and Di Stefano to an extent.

I think by 70/74 things started to change with satelite TV. We able to see games 74 WC live for the first time. So we started to see different countries and clubs. Bayern, Ajax, Madrid, the Milans, Juve, etc

But their is still a strong nostalgia for English football. Just ask those who grew up when Liverpool used to run thisngs in the late 70s and 80s. It have diehard pool fans in TT.

I agree with that on a club level, but as far as NT support from 1970 on, I sensed that ppl were for Brazil or Argentina, maybe the Dutch at a point, France at a later point, maybe Germany a lil ... but England?

I'm curious how posters see this by decade. Maybe the ppl who came of age being suckled on the Premier League post-2000 have a different perspective on favoring England support.

I agree with that on a club level, but as far as NT support from 1970 on, I sensed that ppl were for Brazil or Argentina, maybe the Dutch at a point, France at a later point, maybe Germany a lil ... but England?

I agree. But England just was not winning. Until recently, not even at youth level. People just like winners.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 13, 2021, 12:14:42 AM »

Spot on, pull. You should doing colour for bbc or sky!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: July 13, 2021, 01:28:39 AM »

I beg to differ asylum. Ever since I following football and that is from the mid 60s, England and the clubs teams have had a strong following. Just go back to the names of clubs of the past. Straight otta of England. But that did not mean everything was all English. South America and Brazil were very popular. The Brazilians fostered great fantasy. Garrincha and Pele and Di Stefano to an extent.

I think by 70/74 things started to change with satelite TV. We able to see games 74 WC live for the first time. So we started to see different countries and clubs. Bayern, Ajax, Madrid, the Milans, Juve, etc

But their is still a strong nostalgia for English football. Just ask those who grew up when Liverpool used to run thisngs in the late 70s and 80s. It have diehard pool fans in TT.

I'm curious how posters see this by decade. Maybe the ppl who came of age being suckled on the Premier League post-2000 have a different perspective on favoring England support.

I agree. But England just was not winning. Until recently, not even at youth level. People just like winners.

That's a good point. However, I surmised that everyone was comfortable with England losing.   ;D

Ah mean by 2002, I just can't imagine that Gary Griffith would be looking for a body of water to be cheering against Ronaldinho or Rivaldo. So I see it as a "modern trend" that's probably taken shape after 2010.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 01:34:47 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>