March 28, 2024, 07:58:19 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 241893 times)

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 Italy vs Holland
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2008, 06:46:14 AM »
I am absoloutely amazed by the "expert panel" on ITVs coverage of this match. I understand most of you guys wouldn't have seen the ITV coverage, but their comments about the first goal amazed me.

Obviously, like everyone else who watched, my initial reaction was that is was offside. However, on seeing the reply it was immediately clear that Panucci was behind the touchline. I'm not an offside expert, but I assumed he was playing Van Nistelrooy onside. I did'nt know there was a speciic rule, but these "experts" should have been aware, or at least commented on Panucci's involvement.

They described it as a "horrible, horrible decision" whereas, it must be the best refereeing decision ever made in a major tournament.

The referree and his assistant should be publicly applauded and the decision explained clearly.

Its not often I feel a referee was the star man in a match, but in this occasion I think that was the case.

Mind you, the second goal was outstanding!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
Its not all that bad for the Azzurri..

Check the maths, assuming that Italy take out their revenge on Romania in the next game.

France draw with Romania and have 1 point. If they beat holland then that means Holland will have 3, France will have 4 and Italy will have 3 going into the last round of game.

If Holland beat them, then France will have 1 still, Holland will go clear with 6 points and Italy will have 3.

If France and Holland draw, then Holland will be on 4, France will be on 2 and Italy on 3.

Italy has their destiny in their own hands with the last game against France.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:14 AM »
I am absoloutely amazed by the "expert panel" on ITVs coverage of this match. I understand most of you guys wouldn't have seen the ITV coverage, but their comments about the first goal amazed me.

Obviously, like everyone else who watched, my initial reaction was that is was offside. However, on seeing the reply it was immediately clear that Panucci was behind the touchline. I'm not an offside expert, but I assumed he was playing Van Nistelrooy onside. I did'nt know there was a speciic rule, but these "experts" should have been aware, or at least commented on Panucci's involvement.

They described it as a "horrible, horrible decision" whereas, it must be the best refereeing decision ever made in a major tournament.

The referree and his assistant should be publicly applauded and the decision explained clearly.

Its not often I feel a referee was the star man in a match, but in this occasion I think that was the case.

Mind you, the second goal was outstanding!!

Kent... the ref may have gotten that call correct, and even that is debateable depending on interpretation (of Panucci's status on the endline).  However ther rest of the calls in this game threatened to mar what was an overally quality game for the Netherlands.  Italy can complain 'til the cows come home about that goal, but they're lucky they didn't collect more...Ruud got fouled near the edge of the box and very nearly earned a penalty, except no call was made.  Later Van Persie was fed an exquisite ball right thru the heart of a sleepwalking Italian defense (I guess they want to blame that on the "offside" goal too  ::) ) he was onside by a mile.  1 v. 1 on the keeper and the flag was raised.  

"horrible, horrible decision"

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2008, 07:27:05 AM »
level licks for Italy !
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2008, 07:37:05 AM »
I'd be very worried if I were France after their turgid display yesterday.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2008, 07:40:16 AM »
wha bout the 3rd goal!van bronk pelt he frame straight up the field to score the 3rd goal! talk about an attacking wing back!

Van B had a great game..... Never a fan of his but yesterday he played his a$$ off.... The tall left-footed black man in the middle had a stellar game too...

Italy had no penetrative runs going forward- everything was going through Pirlo, and Pirlo is a distributor, not really a runner...... so if he only has luca Toni as a post up target and no cutting runs through the spaces, Italy will have nothing in attack- so said so done.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »

Euro 2008 - Controversy over "legal" Ruud goal
Eurosport - Tue, 10 Jun 09:49:00 2008
Austrian referees' commission chairman Gerhard Kapl said the goal was correctly awarded.

"The injured player behind the goal counts as a player on the field and therefore it was not offside," said Kapl.

This seems, at  best, counter-intuitive...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2008, 08:04:03 AM »
wha bout the 3rd goal!van bronk pelt he frame straight up the field to score the 3rd goal! talk about an attacking wing back!

Van B had a great game..... Never a fan of his but yesterday he played his a$$ off.... The tall left-footed black man in the middle had a stellar game too...

Engelaars (playes for Schalke I think)...agreed.  He hasn't been called up a lot, but he certainly made the most of his cap yesterday and put his name in the mix for future international starts.  I thought he was a close second to Van Bronckhorst in my personal MOM voting.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »

Euro 2008 - Controversy over "legal" Ruud goal
Eurosport - Tue, 10 Jun 09:49:00 2008
Austrian referees' commission chairman Gerhard Kapl said the goal was correctly awarded.

"The injured player behind the goal counts as a player on the field and therefore it was not offside," said Kapl.

This seems, at  best, counter-intuitive...

Not really...not if you understand the purpose behind the rule.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2008, 08:08:58 AM »
I think they slipped up here and do not want to admit it as there is no way Panucci should be considered an active player ....they probably did not envisage this situation happening !

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
I think they slipped up here and do not want to admit it as there is no way Panucci should be considered an active player ....they probably did not envisage this situation happening !

The rule was put in to discourage defenders from deliberately stepping off the field and thus artificially making the offensive player offside.  The rule applies (apparently) if the defensive player goes out of bounds on his own and has an opportunity to get back on the field.  Obviously this wasn't the case here Panucci was legitimately hurt, but an assessment must be made as to whether he was truly hurt or whether he had an opportunity to get up and get back in play.  If you look at the replay the ref was following the ball, and the call (correctly) was left to the linesman on the far side of the field, with the goal between him and Panucci.  In the time it would have taken to make an assessment of Panucci's status (is he hurt or is he just loafing on the ground?) the goal scored.  Between the time of Buffon knocking Panucci down, and Ruud scoring, there was only about 3 seconds that passed. 

Unless they stopped play to take a look at Panucci, the only other thing the linesman could have done was give Panucci the benefit of the doubt (that he was legitimately hurt) and disallow the goal.  I think the proper call was to give the benefit of the doubt to the offensive team here.  The rule may or may not get looked at later on, but I think the proper call was made.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »
I totally agree that the correct call was made......just that the law was crafted badly.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »
Panucci just sorf, de man didn't have to get no treatment.
He came back on the field for the restart.
He just feel some pain and decide to stay down.
The goal shouldn't be disallowed just becuz Panucci is a panty man.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
under all that talk..

has anyone considered that the linesman just missed the offside call altogether but is taking undue credit for a moment of genius officiating?

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
yuh could be right there !

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »
                              http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/newsid=711341.html#uefa+supports+dutch+goal+decision

UEFA has emphasised that the goal scored by Netherlands striker Ruud van Nistelrooy in last night's UEFA EURO 2008™ match against Italy in Berne was valid, and that referee Peter Fröjdfeldt acted correctly in awarding it.

Not offside
UEFA General Secretary David Taylor was reacting to claims from some quarters that Van Nistelrooy was standing in an offside position when he scored the first of the Netherlands' goals in their 3-0 win. "I would like to take the opportunity to explain and emphasise that the goal was correctly awarded by the referee team," he said. "I think there's a lack of understanding among the general football public, and I think it's understandable because this was an unusual situation. The player was not offside, because, in addition to the Italian goalkeeper, there was another Italian player in front of the goalscorer. Even though that other Italian player at the time had actually fallen off the pitch, his position was still relevant for the purposes of the offside law."

Still involved
The starting point, said Mr Taylor, is the Laws of the Game – Law 11 – which deal with offside, whereby a player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents' goalline than both the ball and the second-last opponent. "There need to be two defenders involved," the UEFA General Secretary said. "If you think back to the situation, the first is the goalkeeper, and the second is the defender who, because of his momentum, actually had left the field of play. But this defender was still deemed to be part of the game. Therefore he is taken into consideration as one of the last two opponents. As a result, Ruud van Nistelrooy was not nearer to the opponents' goal than the second-last defender and, therefore, could not be in an offside position.

Rare incident
"This is a widely-known interpretation of the offside law among referees that is not generally known by the wider football public," he continued. "Incidents like this are very unusual – although I'm informed that there was an incident like this about a month ago in a Swiss Super League match between FC Sion and FC Basel 1893. [It was] initially suggested that this [goal] was a mistake by the referee in terms of the offside law – the commentator later apologised publicly, as he didn't realise that this was the correct application of the law."

Law applied
Mr Taylor concluded: "So let's be clear – the referees' team applied the law in the correct manner. If we did not have this interpretation of the player being off the pitch then what could happen is that the defending team could use the tactic of stepping off the pitch deliberately to play players offside, and that clearly is unacceptable. The most simple and practical interpretation of the law in this instance is the one that is adopted by referees throughout the world – that is that unless you have permission from the referee to be off the pitch, you are deemed to be on it and deemed to be part of the game. That is why the Italian defender, even though his momentum had taken him off the pitch, was still deemed to be part of the game, and therefore the attacking player put the ball into the net, and it was a valid goal. The law in this place was applied absolutely correctly."

Or maybe Omar, the referees are more aware of something like this than we think :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Euro 2008 Spain vs Russia
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
 ah forget that game playin. spain is a deadly team

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Euro 2008 Greece vs Sweden
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
well, the lucky bastards current  tournament  champs  playing the team we tie with in the world cup, so i guess people might watch this....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:19:28 AM by legal alien »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 Spain vs Russia
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2008, 10:18:10 AM »
Russia lookin good

whooops, spoke too soon, dem spaniards ent play de ball bounce in their favour for that goal
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:22:31 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 Greece vs Sweden
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
Yep 2yrs 2 d day dey must not want 2 play dat game 2day
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »
ha ha 1-0 for spain
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2008, 10:23:59 AM »
end - to end action

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
Russia are the underdogs to watch in this tournament.

ah like how mii barca midfield looking though ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:28:14 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
Russia off de post
den spain nearly get another
more action dan de latest Harrison Ford Movie

Идет Россия
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:40:21 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »
Yeah d score but Spain what is stress in Spanish dem is dat Pancho help meh out nah
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »
this is a very entertaining match

it raining heavy, the crowd is noisy, the players are moving the ball all over the field

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »
GO SPAIN!!!.... :wavetowel:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:26 AM »
Russia hit de cross bar

:o :o :o :o
SWEET Goal España
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:46:35 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2008, 10:45:40 AM »
what a lovely goal for spain
2-0

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2008, 10:45:58 AM »
2-0 Spain

1]; } ?>