March 28, 2024, 03:24:41 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 241876 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 Greece vs Sweden
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »
Finally some body beat Greece 4ys later I cyah understand how them win dat cup

Yuh understand!!....4 years ago I didn't even know Greece had a football team....so imagine mih shock dem even reach de tournament far less to win it... :o
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 - Germany v Poland June 8
« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Dey win Eurocup in 04 and couldn't even make WC in 06
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 Italy vs Holland
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2008, 03:38:24 AM »
I think they slipped up here and do not want to admit it as there is no way Panucci should be considered an active player ....they probably did not envisage this situation happening !

The rule was put in to discourage defenders from deliberately stepping off the field and thus artificially making the offensive player offside.  The rule applies (apparently) if the defensive player goes out of bounds on his own and has an opportunity to get back on the field.  Obviously this wasn't the case here Panucci was legitimately hurt, but an assessment must be made as to whether he was truly hurt or whether he had an opportunity to get up and get back in play.  If you look at the replay the ref was following the ball, and the call (correctly) was left to the linesman on the far side of the field, with the goal between him and Panucci.  In the time it would have taken to make an assessment of Panucci's status (is he hurt or is he just loafing on the ground?) the goal scored.  Between the time of Buffon knocking Panucci down, and Ruud scoring, there was only about 3 seconds that passed. 

Unless they stopped play to take a look at Panucci, the only other thing the linesman could have done was give Panucci the benefit of the doubt (that he was legitimately hurt) and disallow the goal.  I think the proper call was to give the benefit of the doubt to the offensive team here.  The rule may or may not get looked at later on, but I think the proper call was made.

Bakes, I agree the lino missed some calls, but Van Nistelrooy was clearly in an offside position if the lino hadn't seen Panucci. Even he would have flagged for that. I think if Panucci had been clobbered by a Dutch player, the ref would have given offside, as Holland would have benefitted from the use of that law.

I think this is justice for all of the times these big men lie down and feign injury. You saw Van Nistelrooy  could have gained a penalty by hitting the turf, but tried to play on (I don't think contact was made, but I think he would have got the call) Only Panucci will know if he was winded or feigning injury. It matters not, if he had been on the goal line there would have been no offside.

I saw football managers commenting that this decision went against the spirit of the game. These are the same managers who tell their players to hit the turf in an around the penalty box and to stay on the floor to slow down the game and break the oppositions rhythm.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
Germany - Austria on espn 2 now.

Neuer Germany looking a little shaky in this 2nd half.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:02:15 PM by Flex »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2012 Qualifying
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
Belarus 1 (Abidal OG 20')
France 1 (Malouda 22)
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »
ah see Borat and dem rest 2 on Azerbaijan...
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »

Did Borat score?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »

Did Borat score?
Yuh didn't see him in a mankini highfiving everyone after he leggo dat 40 yard screamer?
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »
I caught the 2nd half of Austria - Germany.....Austria equalize at the start of the 2nd half and had a good spell for most of the half then in true German style dey poison Austria in the 89th minute.....ah switch off after that but I'm assuming Germany won the game.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
I caught the 2nd half of Austria - Germany.....Austria equalize at the start of the 2nd half and had a good spell for most of the half then in true German style dey poison Austria in the 89th minute.....ah switch off after that but I'm assuming Germany won the game.....

Yep!! Final score Aus 1 - 2 Germ.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
Where all the Eng-ger-land fans? How Switzerland giving allyuh trouble so?

As i type that Bent just miss a sitter.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #251 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
France 1 (Malouda 22)

looks like they're still in 2010 WC form.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
France 1 (Malouda 22)

looks like they're still in 2010 WC form.

What you talking about? They score twice.  :devil:

giggsy11

« Reply #253 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Where all the Eng-ger-land fans? How Switzerland giving allyuh trouble so?

As i type that Bent just miss a sitter.

Ah think Arry's missus would have scored that!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »
England very unconvincing against the Swiss.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »

England were poor... the two free kicks were absolute gifts, Hart on the first, Milner on the second.  Bent throw way about two very good chances as did Downing at the end.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »

England were poor... the two free kicks were absolute gifts, Hart on the first, Milner on the second.  Bent throw way about two very good chances as did Downing at the end.

i think it was a fair result. the swiss surpisingly came out attacking in the first half, they usually play the "not to lose" brand, they had some luck with both goals especially the first.  england got a lifeline with that penalty and took control of the game from there but poor finishing let them down.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
not to derail the thread but the USA get a good beatdown, the commentators kept repeating over and over and over and over that the US did not field their strongest team.  Spain lead 3-0 at HT and I didnt see casillas, xavi, iniesta, puyol, llorente and torres on the field in the first half.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
I looked at the first and part of the 2nd. Honestly at times Eng. looked liked the visiting team. Yes, the Swiss 2 goal were gifts but they were goals. That is part of the game. They were lucky Swiss defender commited that foolish fowl. But Eng. still plays disjointed. Not fluid. It hard to pin point why this is so. And Capello has been at the helm for about 5 yrs now. Like Latas there should be a fire Capello thread. Look at the amount of players he has at his disposal. No foreign based ballers to confuse the situation, all the facilities and the amount of money he makes. The only bright spots for England was Ashley Young, Glen Johnson, Milner and Gareth Barry, I think.

giggsy11

« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »
I looked at the first and part of the 2nd. Honestly at times Eng. looked liked the visiting team. Yes, the Swiss 2 goal were gifts but they were goals. That is part of the game. They were lucky Swiss defender commited that foolish fowl. But Eng. still plays disjointed. Not fluid. It hard to pin point why this is so. And Capello has been at the helm for about 5 yrs now. Like Latas there should be a fire Capello thread. Look at the amount of players he has at his disposal. No foreign based ballers to confuse the situation, all the facilities and the amount of money he makes. The only bright spots for England was Ashley Young, Glen Johnson, Milner and Gareth Barry, I think.

England's talent pool is not all dat. If you watch their players week in and week out in the EPL, I feel their success is aided by the more creative foregn players they play with.These England players as acollective unit don't have much to offer as a team. Plus most of them lack football sense and can't seem to move beyond the next level. Capello only still in that job for a paycheck plus he would have to be a magician to make anything out of the 'talent' available to him.

giggsy11

« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
Can't wait to hear Capello's take on the type of talent he had to work with after he leaves his England position.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
No easy matches in football anymore....UEFA Euro 2012 seedings

England have been guaranteed that they will avoid Germany in the group stages at Euro 2012 after UEFA announced the seedings for the draw in December.

England have been placed in Pot 2 alongside Germany, Italy and Russia, meaning that they cannot face any of those three sides until the quarter-finals of the tournament.

But they could still face a brutal group draw, with Spain, Netherlands, France and Portugal among their potential opponents - and one potential outcome being a 'Group of Death' that could see Spain, England, Portugal and France placed together in the same pool.

Republic of Ireland, who confirmed their place at the finals following a 5-1 aggregate play-off win over Estonia, are in Pot 4 and will be one of the bottom seeds when the draw is conducted in Kiev on Friday December 2.

As hosts, Poland and Ukraine are guaranteed of a place among the top seeds, as are reigning champions Spain, while Netherlands complete Pot 1 as they are the side with the next highest UEFA co-efficient.

The remaining pots are determined by where the respective countries are placed in the European governing body's co-efficient rankings.

Results in Tuesday's play-off second legs were taken into account and Croatia's failure to win against Turkey in Zagreb, even though they triumphed across the two legs, means it is Russia who join England, Germany and Italy in Pot 2.

The finals will comprise four groups, with one team from each pot represented in each group.

Pot 1: Poland, Ukraine, Spain, Netherlands

Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Russia

Pot 3: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland

When you look at how the groups could go, there really isn't any team you would be confident to go through. Imagine the easiest route for Spain would be possibly a group with Russia, Greece and Rep of Ireland, but it could go Germany, Portugal and France!!  Should be a great tournament....but watch out for plenty of negative play with teams content to draw 0-0 or win 1-0 and just play offensively against the weakest team!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:46:48 PM by Flex »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: No easy matches in football anymore....UEFA Euro 2012 seedings
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
Euro's is the best..  I cannot wait

check them group possibilities  :o :o

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
EURO 2012 Final Draw
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
On now on ESPN News
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:56:13 AM by elan »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: EURO 2012 Draw
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »
Group A - Poland (1), Cech. Republic (4), Greece (2), Russia (3)
Group B - Netherlands (1), Denmark (2), Portugal (4), Germany (3)
Group C - Spain (1), Rep. Ireland (3), Croatia (4), Italy (2)
Group D - Ukraine (1), France (3), Sweden (2), England (4)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:55:29 AM by elan »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: EURO 2012 Final Draw
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
Look at group B, wow, that is actually crazy.  :o :o

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
No easy groups , but B is the group of death.

My predictions at this early stage:

A)Poland & Greece  (maybe Russia)
B) Portugal & Germany
C) Spain & Croatia (This real tight too!)
D) France & England (probably on goal difference!)

England will lose on penalties in semi final as usual  :rotfl:

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Yuh don't feel that Italy can get by Croatia and Ireland?

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
italy takin at least 7pts from that group

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
italy takin at least 7pts from that group