March 29, 2024, 12:33:29 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 241958 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #1110 on: June 16, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
Not sure if they have "Young Player of the Tournament" for Euro Championships, but if there was  then Dzagoev would get it hands down.  Fantastic player.  The Greek captain embellish that foul ah little and sell he way outta a penalty perhaps.  Clear foul though.  My Eastern Bloc bias in full throttle, although ah back the Czechs in this match.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 16, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
How is Russia out?  Didn't they beat cezch 4-1 and draw 1-1 with Poland?

Czech top the group with 2 wins against Greece and Poland.

Greece lost to Czech, beat Russia, and tied with Poland.

That would mean Russia & Greece ended with 4 points each

So what's the first tie breaker? Couldn't be goal difference because Russia has plus 2 and Greece has a goal difference of zero. Has to be head to head which isn't "typical".

Unless Greece beat Poland which I don't remember happening but I must be wrong
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 16, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
poland and russia still have to meet....TUH FIGHT!!! im sure both sets of fans heated right about now..

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 16, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »

So what's the first tie breaker? Couldn't be goal difference because Russia has plus 2 and Greece has a goal difference of zero. Has to be head to head which isn't "typical".

(a)   Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.   
(b)   Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).   
(c)   Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).   
(d)   Goal difference in all the group matches.   
(e)   Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.   
(f)   Higher position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking.   
(g)   Fair Play conduct of the teams (final tournament).   
(h)   A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #1114 on: June 16, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »

(a)   Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.   
(b)   Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).   
(c)   Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).   

(b) on that list is head to head. Brings it in line with the CL rules that UEFA uses.

Problem is this works well in the CL where you usually have a bobolee to beat, not so much when you have four competitive teams like most of these groups have.

In the CL a 4th place side could start off competitive in September and by the time November reach and they have no chance of qualifying they focus on domestic competition and start collecting 6 in the CL. It that case it kinda unfair to use H2H to separate teams.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:36:28 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 16, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »

Head to head is the 1st tie breaker
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 16, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 16, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
Well ah now reach and two things....

1.  Imagine de team dat get de soundest cut arse in dey opening game, top de group and de team dat give de cut arse gone home.

2.  How de arse de Czech player stop de ball from going in de net in de 92 min??   :o :o Mih mouth still hanging open.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
elan is right. russia today needed a walcott type player to just run with the ball and cause havoc in the greek defense.  russia's defense (in particular the #2 were never settled even though they were chasing the game.  tbh i expected more from a dick advocaat coached side but i guess it wasn't to be.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 16, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
Before the game, Greece knew if they won, they would qualify, Russia knew if they won or drew they would qualify. The system may suck, but everyone knew what was needed. Greece stood up and Russia wimped out.

Personally, I believe that Goal difference is the best "footballing" method. I don't like Head to Head as its based on one game, which may not reflect the other two game performances. For example, in the head to head game, you may miss several top players through injusy or suspension or a bad refereeing decision may hand a team a victory. These incidents would have less impact on a teams performance over 3 games.

truetrini

« Reply #1120 on: June 16, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Before the game, Greece knew if they won, they would qualify, Russia knew if they won or drew they would qualify. The system may suck, but everyone knew what was needed. Greece stood up and Russia wimped out.

Personally, I believe that Goal difference is the best "footballing" method. I don't like Head to Head as its based on one game, which may not reflect the other two game performances. For example, in the head to head game, you may miss several top players through injusy or suspension or a bad refereeing decision may hand a team a victory. These incidents would have less impact on a teams performance over 3 games.

I cannot beleive that I am agreeing with you again....I going and buy lotto

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 16, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

So why are the two systems allowed to exist??  Head to head in one tournament and goal difference in another??  Before the game I didn't realise Russia was facing elimination but I was working with goal difference........
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »
Well Holland going to qualify tomorrow the way things going
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »

I cannot beleive that I am agreeing with you again....I going and buy lotto

...and I going and celebrate independence with the Palestinians.  :devil:

Well ah now reach and two things....

1.  Imagine de team dat get de soundest cut arse in dey opening game, top de group and de team dat give de cut arse gone home.

2.  How de arse de Czech player stop de ball from going in de net in de 92 min??   :o :o Mih mouth still hanging open.....

I SWEAR dat was a goal and was about to see bedlam in dat stadium!  I still cyah believe it!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 16, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »

Suppose Team A loses to Team B and and now both teams have one loss each. A rest 5 goals on de group minnow while B only scored 4 on them.  Let's make it juicy, B really scored 6 but two goals negated by bad offside calls.  So B should be ahead on goal differential but due to a foul up they trailing. 

B lost it's only game in stoppage time... despite missing "several top players thru injury or suspension or bad refereeing decisions".  Despite beating Team A, under your scenario Team B would not advance.  How that better than head-to-head?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:37:49 PM by Bakes »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: June 16, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
I don't follow you about the insecurity complex... what is there to be insecure about?  I watch and enjoy all good football and I personally try to be objective and appreciate it wherever it originates, with a little bias based on personal preference like everybody else, so I don't follow you.  I support a team, not a league.  I'm not one of them men who blindly backing a team from a particular league...

As for the England - France game, I wasn't calling for England to play any one way or the other - they played for a result and got it.  Who eh like how they do it (even if that includes me), that's not England problem - them men there to do a job...

I was just giving my interpretation of what Elan was implying by responding to tenorsaw.  England played an exciting game against Sweden and the plaudits of EPL's excitement factor came showering down... Elan reasonably (to me) asked "where was all that excitement the France game?"  I doh see what the fuss is all about. 

I similarly doh see what the fuss is about Tenorsaw's comment either... he said you have to like the EPL brand of football, it's not always pretty, but it's exciting.  Elan countered by mentioning the France game. My point is that England didn't play a typical "EPL game" versus France, but more a boring defensive, cautious game, hoping for the counter, ala Stoke City.  So since this particular style isn't typical of the EPL game, you cannot use the France game to counter Tenor's point about the excitement of the EPL brand.

As for the "insecurity" comment... seems that every time a comment is made referencing the EPL as the best, most exciting etc.  you are one of the first men to comment about bias towards the English game and it eh all dat and Spain better... I eh quoting yuh verbatim so leh we eh argue about what yuh actually say on those occasions.  For me, fuh ah man to be doing that year after year says he still feels insecure about his preferred league... if you confident in your heart that La Liga is better then you wouldn't have to be defending it at every slight, real or imagined.  Not saying this is what yuh doing, but just how I see it.  Tenor want tuh praise he EPL woman... rock so with yuh bo-bo foot La Liga gyul and 'low de man nah  ;D

Nah not me...Madrid is my side but if yuh check back I doh blindly fly no spanish league flag - that league have real issues with the way they handle TV rights that f-ing it up bad...look at the immense gap the Madrid and Barca open up over the pack in the last 5 or so seasons...it bordering on being a joke.  Madrid is my side, and I admire alot about the style of many teams in Spain, but I doh put my head on a block for that league...They not doing a good job of keeping league competitive in my opinion...I does even get jones off the amateur production quality of the broadcasts..yuh can't get no vibes off plenty la liga games....But what does annoy me is the nonsensical statements I hear men make about the EPL (not tenorsaw's statement) that in my opinion are a reflection of an inferiority complex...Either way, I does siddong and watch my EPL (and la liga) every weekend because I just like football. 

I think Elan's post was tongue in cheek...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
Nah not me...Madrid is my side but if yuh check back I doh blindly fly no spanish league flag - that league have real issues with the way they handle TV rights that f-ing it up bad...look at the immense gap the Madrid and Barca open up over the pack in the last 5 or so seasons...it bordering on being a joke.  Madrid is my side, and I admire alot about the style of many teams in Spain, but I doh put my head on a block for that league...They not doing a good job of keeping league competitive in my opinion...I does even get jones off the amateur production quality of the broadcasts..yuh can't get no vibes off plenty la liga games....But what does annoy me is the nonsensical statements I hear men make about the EPL (not tenorsaw's statement) that in my opinion are a reflection of an inferiority complex...Either way, I does siddong and watch my EPL (and la liga) every weekend because I just like football. 

I think Elan's post was tongue in cheek...

Until they figure out a more equitable profit-sharing model for La Liga that disparity will continue.  But Madrid and Barca so powerful that doh expect to see that happening any time soon.  Real shame too, under all talk it have certain sides I does follow, Getafe up until de Arabs buy it, Atletico and Villareal up until they get relegated (hard to follow them now, even online).  Is a shame to see these clubs struggling in the standings in large part because they can't get over the financial hump to spend like the top two. 

As to the larger issue I can appreciate both styles of play, but ah partial to the EPL.  That said, the great thing about these international competitions is that you get to see the contrasting styles on display... makes for some very good football... most ah de time  :D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 16, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »
Thanks for the clarification everyone
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 16, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

Suppose Team A loses to Team B and and now both teams have one loss each. A rest 5 goals on de group minnow while B only scored 4 on them.  Let's make it juicy, B really scored 6 but two goals negated by bad offside calls.  So B should be ahead on goal differential but due to a foul up they trailing. 

B lost it's only game in stoppage time... despite missing "several top players thru injury or suspension or bad refereeing decisions".  Despite beating Team A, under your scenario Team B would not advance.  How that better than head-to-head?

Trying to follow this, but in your scenario I will assume B lost 1-0 and A won 1-0 and B beat A 1-0.

P W D L   F A   PTS  G/D
A  3  2 0  1  6  1    6      5
B  3  2 0  1  5  1    6      4

So as I understand your scenario, Team A wins on goal difference. Why is that a problem? Man City won the EPL on a goal difference of 8. Now it could have happened that United beat City twice and City would still be Champions. Traditionally, its always been points, then goal difference. Although I believe there was something called goal average at one time, but I can't remember how that worked or if it was the same mathematic, just named differently.

Goal difference, in my opinion, encourages teams to go for more goals rather than sit back on a 1-0 and park the bus.

A scenario for Group D could be that if France lose to Sweden 4-0 and England draw with Ukraine, France will go forward as they beat Ukraine, yet Ukraine would have the better overall record.

But I'm wondering about Group B. If Spain and Croatia draw 0-0 and Italy win 2-0, the 3 teams will have 5 points. Croatia and Italy would both have a plus 2 g/d and scored and conceded exactly the same goals. So which team goes forward?

According to the rules:

Equality of points after the group matches
8.07 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the
following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:
a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;
b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more
than two teams finish equal on points);
c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if
more than two teams finish equal on points);
d) superior goal difference in all the group matches;
e) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches;
f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I,
paragraph 1.2.2); SEE  BELOW
g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
h) drawing of lots.
8.08 If two teams which have the same number of points, the same number of goals
scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still
equal at the end of that match, the ranking of the two teams in question is
determined by kicks from the penalty mark (Article 16), provided no other teams
within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group
matches. Should more than two teams have the same number of points, the criteria
listed under paragraph 8.07 apply.

1.2.2. Final draw
For the calculation of the national team coefficient to be used for the final draw for
the 2010–12 UEFA European Football Championship, the following competitions
are taken into consideration:
a) UEFA EURO 2008 (qualifying competition and final tournament)
b) 2010 FIFA World Cup (qualifying competition and final tournament)
c) UEFA EURO 2012 (qualifying competition)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
You lost me with all that verbage yes... I couldn't get past the table.  The final goal differential isn't 5 to 4 in my scenario... 5 to 4 was the number of goals the teams respectively scored on the weakest team in the group.  So by virtue of having scored more goals against the weakest team, A advances over B who defeated A in the head to head match up.

To make it more interesting, I used the same excuse you offered in the "one bad match" example... B would have scored more except they were missing players due to injury, suspension etc.  Or in my exaggerated example... they actually scored more goals, but 2 goals were erroneously wiped out by poor officiating.

So A ends up with a superior goal differential thanks to fluky circumstances, and despite losing head to head to a team that was in every other regard equal or better.  How is that fair?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 16, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »
You lost me with all that verbage yes... I couldn't get past the table.  The final goal differential isn't 5 to 4 in my scenario... 5 to 4 was the number of goals the teams respectively scored on the weakest team in the group.  So by virtue of having scored more goals against the weakest team, A advances over B who defeated A in the head to head match up.

To make it more interesting, I used the same excuse you offered in the "one bad match" example... B would have scored more except they were missing players due to injury, suspension etc.  Or in my exaggerated example... they actually scored more goals, but 2 goals were erroneously wiped out by poor officiating.

So A ends up with a superior goal differential thanks to fluky circumstances, and despite losing head to head to a team that was in every other regard equal or better.  How is that fair?

Because football games are effectively won by scoring more goals. Therefore, it follows that tournaments should be won the same way. A team may play out of their skins in one match and average in the others, while another team could play well in all games, yet have some bad luck in one game. Whether it be 3 games or 38 games, I think the team with the best goal difference deserves to win.

But whatever the case, all teams know the rules when they enter, so they can't complain. I just prefer goal difference to head to head.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #1131 on: June 17, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »

So as I understand your scenario, Team A wins on goal difference. Why is that a problem? Man City won the EPL on a goal difference of 8. Now it could have happened that United beat City twice and City would still be Champions. Traditionally, its always been points, then goal difference. Although I believe there was something called goal average at one time, but I can't remember how that worked or if it was the same mathematic, just named differently.

Goal difference, in my opinion, encourages teams to go for more goals rather than sit back on a 1-0 and park the bus.

A scenario for Group D could be that if France lose to Sweden 4-0 and England draw with Ukraine, France will go forward as they beat Ukraine, yet Ukraine would have the better overall record.

But I'm wondering about Group B. If Spain and Croatia draw 0-0 and Italy win 2-0, the 3 teams will have 5 points. Croatia and Italy would both have a plus 2 g/d and scored and conceded exactly the same goals. So which team goes forward?

I don't know that one method is innately better than another. It is just what we are accustomed to at this time.

And there are different systems in place everywhere. Spain uses H2H and Italy used a one-game playoff up until recently.

Also goal difference as the main tie breaker is a relatively recent convention. Before that it was goal average up until the seventies which really favoured stopping goals over scoring goals. To us now that seems crazy and unfair but that was the accepted system for donkey years.

You could also argue that 3 points for a win (another recent convention) is unfair since a side that gets a win and a loss gets more points than one that gets 2 draws. 3 points for a win penalizes draws which is exciting. H2H prolongs teams' interest in the tournament which also has its benefits.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 17, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
Ah goin' wit de "Oranje" today!!.....well...not as mush that ah goin' with them as ah goin' against Portugal.  Later fuh dem!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
Denmark and Portugal going home today! Watch thing.. ORANJE!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 17, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »

Because football games are effectively won by scoring more goals. Therefore, it follows that tournaments should be won the same way. A team may play out of their skins in one match and average in the others, while another team could play well in all games, yet have some bad luck in one game. Whether it be 3 games or 38 games, I think the team with the best goal difference deserves to win.

But whatever the case, all teams know the rules when they enter, so they can't complain. I just prefer goal difference to head to head.

You are making my point for me. A team can very well have one superlative game where they score 10 goals, and be dreadful or average in every other game. Whereas the other team plays well in every game but by some sheer force of circumstance ends up with the exact same record as the team with the one great game. Under this scenario the average team with the one great game scoring 10 goals advances. Again I ask, how is this fair, or forget fair, how is this a better solution? We should want the better teams to advance not just the teams who have scored the most goals. In my estimation if two teams play and one team defeats the other than that team has proven itself to be better than the defeated team

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 17, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
My crystal ball crack after the first holland game. Taking ah chance with Portugal, Ronaldo wants to prove himself, holland will choke.
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 17, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »
My crystal ball crack after the first holland game. Taking ah chance with Portugal, Ronaldo wants to prove himself, holland will choke.

ronaldo always wants to "prove" himself.....holland go mash dem up today!!  (:praying:)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 17, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »

Well I never.....yuh jump ship on mih??!!   :o smh..... :(

Thanks eh Jumbie.....ah thought ah was alone.....well here goes....

GO ORANJE!!!!!

:praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #1138 on: June 17, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

Well I never.....yuh jump ship on mih??!!   :o smh..... :(

Thanks eh Jumbie.....ah thought ah was alone.....well here goes....

GO ORANJE!!!!!

:praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

I am also a hardcore Portuguese fan. Whoever win today I safe. But holland disapoint.
Youtube Channel

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #1139 on: June 17, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »

ronaldo always wants to "prove" himself.....holland go mash dem up today!!  (:praying:)

My one father's day wish is for a Holland win and a Denmark draw, preferably a 0-0. Gomez mashing up man fantasy league and Holland or Portugal in the knockout phase will be pressure

1]; } ?>