March 29, 2024, 05:56:37 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Euro Thread.  (Read 241977 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Euro 2012 Thread.
« Reply #1710 on: June 24, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Oh and dat penalty from Pirlo......lawd.  Ah love it!!!!   :applause: :applause:

pirlo in a league of his own

uncharacteristically from pirlo, in an interview given yesterday he went on about how england were just.not.good. i think with that penalty he calmed the nerves of the kickers to come and had them believing yea we can do this. to pull of that pk at that kinda moment..lawwwddd...thats what juventus does to you...d man reborn..

is clips of yorkie he watch over and over
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: June 24, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Ah never support Italy till today
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: June 24, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
Ah never support Italy till today

After Man U you can only go up  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: June 24, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
but yuh never see meh call yuh a liar.  Yet.  :rotfl:

;D True.

So how come yuh like one but not de oddah?  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: June 24, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
It serve England right tho, because they played for penalties today from the start. Imagine a nation paranoid of penalty kicks playing for them from the start of a game, very confusing to me. Anyway on to big teams now.

i dont think they were playing for penalties...they're just not good technically to impose a certain style of play. for all d millions each of them are worth, its kinda unacceptable for them to play shit game after game after game...

We all know they are vastly overrated but they tried to play for the first 10 mins in each half and looked ok and when they didnt score they dropped into a defensive shell for the rest of each half.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: June 24, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: June 24, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
but yuh never see meh call yuh a liar.  Yet.  :rotfl:

;D True.

So how come yuh like one but not de oddah?  ;D

Same style, different teams.   :rotfl:

Anybody see de picture of Buffon clowning "the two ashleys" on fb yet?  Hilarious!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: June 24, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
The look on the English fans in the bar was almost disheartening. I saw their faces go from joy at the beginning of the penalty shootout to an anguish when they lost.

I almost felt sorry for them.....

Almost  ;D

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 24, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
Buffon before the game - ''I've not been watching penalties, I've been watching dirty movies in my room instead''

Edin Džeko ‏@EdDzeko

Andrea Pirlo-RESPECT!

-------

Xavi Hernandez ‏@XavierH6

Que gran penalty de Pirlo.. fenomeno!

------

“At the moment I saw the goalkeeper making strange movements, so I waited for him to move and hit it like that.

“It was easier for me to chip it at that stage. Maybe my effort put some pressure on England and in fact Ashley Young missed the next one after me.

“I didn’t fear an upset, as England barely created anything, just tried to defend the result and drag us to penalties. We stayed in control and in the end won out.

“We knew that we could control the match, as England are a very defensive team and we saw that from the way they played throughout the group phase. It’s just a shame we took this long to beat them and used up a lot of energy.

“We dominated the encounter and it’s a pity we didn’t take our chances during the 90 minutes or extra time. At least the penalties sent the right team through.

“Mario Balotelli worked hard and helped his teammates. He made a few mistakes when finishing, but he has the quality and will improve.”

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: June 24, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Was in a "genuine" English pub. Them fellas was sour after the game boy. But not that vex, they didn't do anything for 120 minutes and looking to squeeze though via penalties.

I thought Italy would have brought on Di Natale to put the finishing touch on the chances, but the subs who came on didn't do too badly.

England didn't excite, but they also had their chances when they dared to go forward. Once the game settled in both periods, then they dropped back and tried to work on the counter, but Rooney didn't offer much. I might have left Wellbeck on and subbed Rooney for Carroll. Young didn't do much either, though I realize that he was more tuned into his defensive responsibilities. Millner contributed more and I was surprised to see him go out. Then, once he left, England proceeded to ignore that side of the field. Wasting the potential of Walcott to stretch the field. 

In the end I think the better team won. Those who don't like Spain can see now that the reason they are the #1 team in the world is because they can beat teams that park the bus. Italy could only gain style points.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:31:36 PM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: June 24, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
This is how it could have gone badly for Pirlo in the penalty shootout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCMtLOb6Jjw

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 24, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
True to form? The same Ashley Cole who scored the penultimate penalty in the Champions League Final? Haters gonna hate...

Does that even make any sense... that I would be 'hating' on player I'm rooting for to score?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 24, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
It serve England right tho, because they played for penalties today from the start. Imagine a nation paranoid of penalty kicks playing for them from the start of a game, very confusing to me. Anyway on to big teams now.

i dont think they were playing for penalties...they're just not good technically to impose a certain style of play. for all d millions each of them are worth, its kinda unacceptable for them to play shit game after game after game...

This is what I doh get... men want to say England play for penalties as though they were deliberately kicking the ball back to Italy every time they had it.  Fact is England eh ready to play on this level... they could barely string together three passes without losing possession.  That's not an indictment of Hodgson or his "style", that's an indictment of the quality (or lack thereof in the squad)... a question not of style but substance.  Roy did yeoman's work in getting that team together on short notice and with all the internal distractions.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 24, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
We all know they are vastly overrated...

LOL... by whom?  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 24, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
I think this is what Lalass trying to say out the side of his mouth, You Brits always laughing and berating us Yanks for calling football soccer and showing little league "world" series, nascar, golf, "girls" softball and fly fishing instead of an international fotball game, yet on the world stage you have to park the bus, you have to play kick ball, you can't attack with style, you have no style and you have to play simple soccer. So there in your face.

I don't think he was really supporting or agreeing that they play well, he was - to me- being Lalass
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: June 24, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
I tell one of my friends today after Pirlo penalty that the first time I saw that was in Euro 1975 final, Chec player
pulled the chip penalty.

Look it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1Hr96IenI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1Hr96IenI

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:32:40 PM by Observer »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 24, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/g6xJWuhJTfU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/g6xJWuhJTfU</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 24, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »

ha ha - nail on de head boss. england go home.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 24, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
Wais D big deal? He jus pull a Yorke  ;)
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #1729 on: June 25, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »
As far as England could go, playing that brand of football.  Hope Hodgson will look to improve that style of play. They were horrible at possession, but that's Hodgson.  Thankfully, he's not at Liverpool any longer. :beermug:

Neither Fulham or WBA were as inept with the ball as England was against Italy. It is less to do with Hodgson than it is the players he working with and the opposition they up against.

This was par for the course, or even better, with these players. In general the tchnique poor and the “star man” that they turn to just is not good enough. This rounds is Rooney, before that was Beckham and before that Gascoigne.

Not surprisingly the only two semi-finals they make (going out on penalties after playing even games with the eventual winners) was with Gascoigne. Despite the different supporting casts he was a true talent good enough to give the team a spark and run the attack.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 25, 2012, 07:10:25 AM »
Seriously all them players and they can't run ball with the best? They were looking good the few first minutes then they just went into a shell.
Youtube Channel

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #1731 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »
You NOW seein' dat?!   Rooney capitalizes on the spaces his teammates afford him and he could do something on a counter attack.....once yuh limit the space he have to operate in, or force him to have to be creative with the ball at his feet....he dawgs dead

Rooney seems to be regressing. Either he getting older and just feeling his oats or he more enamored of scoring as he has become a better goalscorer/poacher.

He is no longer the player yuh could ask to play out on the left wing and get consistently good results. Asking him to drop into midfield to make a 4-4-2 a 4-4-1/4-2-3-1 also doesn’t seem to work. He does run plenty and give his all but it is doing what he wants to do, not really what the rest of the team expecting him to do.

He used to excel at the team game when Ronaldo was around. He was also much better for England earlier in his career when he was a youth breaking through (Euro 2004), than in these tournaments where the whole team waiting on his appearance after break foot/suspension (2006, 2012). He was wretched in 2010 too.

With United this year it will be interesting to see how much time he spends playing in a creative role behind Welbeck or Hernandez or playing in front of Kagawa as a striker, sharing time with Welbeck and Hernandez.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 25, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »
FORZA ITALIA!!!

I have to grudgingly admit... Watching that England brand yesterday make me understand what it must have felt like to be a Bayern Munich fan in the CL Final versus Chelsea.... Only, that England's use of them kinda tactics look much much worse.

At least Chelsea could string some passes together and try to make something happen when they had the ball, and at least they had a viable outlet up front in Drogba, who you always feel could make something happen in that system. England on the other hand had NOTHING.

What a tepid performance. What pain me the most is that man for man, that England team really shouldn't have to play a team like Italy in such a cowardly fashion. On paper, this Italy side doesn't have that many individually talented players outside of Pirlo, Cassano, Balotelli and De Rossi. England could have matched that with Rooney, Gerrard, Young, Wellbeck in their lineup.  Yet the way England line up, you would swear they up against a Brazil, Spain or Germany.

Imagine man like Abate have the freedom of the right flanks and have Ashley Young acting like an auxillary left back. Shameful. Better they had just start with Carroll and hoof everything up to him as he was winning all the headers, then try to profit off a knock down. I woulda respect that more.

Anyway enough about that shit side.

Pirlo dread... Lets forget the rank disrespectful, "Keep calm", "STFU Hart" nature of that penalty kick in injury time to swing momentum back to Italy (Yorke did it for Man U, Zidane did it for France, Abreu did it in Copa America for Uruguay). This man is such a boss and a joy to watch in midfield. At 33 years old and still a cut above the rest with that ball in midfield pulling the strings at walking pace, flighting passed over the top and dominating the midfield. There was one particular play when he collect the ball and Parker rush in too eager and get a simple "pull and push" and end up flailing all over him. "Easy yuhself my youth".

I thought Balotelli played really well but he needs to be a bit more clinical with his finishing. He need to watch some Romario tapes, when you get a flighted ball over the top is one touch to control and then another to slap hard or lob the keeper without thinking it. However he was giving them serious problems whole game, physical presence and coming short or going deep to play it simple. It will come!.

De Rossi needs to hold a bench. This is an immensely talented player who aaalways purging Italy in tournaments dating back to the elbow against the USA. I could never understand how come a player who supposed to be one of the leaders on the side could never make the difference when it counts. Easy chance to score a big player like that supposed to finish with aplomb. No surprise that he wasn't a factor when Italy won the World Cup in 2006.

Looking forward to the Italy v Germany semi-final, a repeat of one of the best games of football i've ever seen in my life (Italy v Germany world cup semi final 2006). Pirlo issue a football lesson that game. Hope he can repeat.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 25, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »
i was thinking it was just me who find spain boring. effective but boring.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spain-wont-change-despite-boring-tag-alonso-125024735--sow.html

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: June 25, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »
....apparently, Buffon had made it clear in a (pregame?) press conference? that there is no way ashley young was going to score on him....or Ashley Cole, for that matter. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81200188@N06/7439590022/sizes/m/in/photostream/

:D

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 25, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
You NOW seein' dat?!   Rooney capitalizes on the spaces his teammates afford him and he could do something on a counter attack.....once yuh limit the space he have to operate in, or force him to have to be creative with the ball at his feet....he dawgs dead

Rooney seems to be regressing. Either he getting older and just feeling his oats or he more enamored of scoring as he has become a better goalscorer/poacher.

He is no longer the player yuh could ask to play out on the left wing and get consistently good results. Asking him to drop into midfield to make a 4-4-2 a 4-4-1/4-2-3-1 also doesn’t seem to work. He does run plenty and give his all but it is doing what he wants to do, not really what the rest of the team expecting him to do.

He used to excel at the team game when Ronaldo was around. He was also much better for England earlier in his career when he was a youth breaking through (Euro 2004), than in these tournaments where the whole team waiting on his appearance after break foot/suspension (2006, 2012). He was wretched in 2010 too.

With United this year it will be interesting to see how much time he spends playing in a creative role behind Welbeck or Hernandez or playing in front of Kagawa as a striker, sharing time with Welbeck and Hernandez.

I think he will always do well in the EPL because teams are generally weaker and manu as a team, is more formidable against their average opponents than England is against theirs.  Teams on the international stage know how to shut down England because they really don't have the weapons, individually or otherwise, to "create space" and you know, dat space is one of the most important requirements in being able to move the ball.  Notice they couldn't string 4 passes together yesterday, and rooney was part of that problem, IMO, because every time HE received the ball, the Italians just closed on him and, as you said, with England sort of waiting for him to deliver something special, it wasn't going to happen.  England has ZERO midfielders that could either make defenders backpedal or draw a double team, so it doesn't create that space rooney needs to run helter-skelter with the ball and line up a good shot or pass orff to a man in a next space.  Once he have to think with the ball, he is done and even at his peak, I always felt this was his limitation.   When he had ronaldo to attract as much defensive attention as he does, plus a scholes to pick apart weaknesses in their opponents' defenses, he could do what he want.  But yesterday even captain courageous, steven gerrard couldn't do nutting fuh england and ashley young was a wast of a selection so, aside from his clinically taken penalty, the most prominent thing about rooney was his hairline.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 25, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »
FORZA ITALIA!!!

I have to grudgingly admit... Watching that England brand yesterday make me understand what it must have felt like to be a Bayern Munich fan in the CL Final versus Chelsea.... Only, that England's use of them kinda tactics look much much worse.

At least Chelsea could string some passes together and try to make something happen when they had the ball, and at least they had a viable outlet up front in Drogba, who you always feel could make something happen in that system. England on the other hand had NOTHING.

What a tepid performance. What pain me the most is that man for man, that England team really shouldn't have to play a team like Italy in such a cowardly fashion. On paper, this Italy side doesn't have that many individually talented players outside of Pirlo, Cassano, Balotelli and De Rossi. England could have matched that with Rooney, Gerrard, Young, Wellbeck in their lineup.  Yet the way England line up, you would swear they up against a Brazil, Spain or Germany.

Imagine man like Abate have the freedom of the right flanks and have Ashley Young acting like an auxillary left back. Shameful. Better they had just start with Carroll and hoof everything up to him as he was winning all the headers, then try to profit off a knock down. I woulda respect that more.

Pirlo dread... Lets forget the rank disrespectful, "Keep calm", "STFU Hart" nature of that penalty kick in injury time to swing momentum back to Italy (Yorke did it for Man U, Zidane did it for France, Abreu did it in Copa America for Uruguay). This man is such a boss and a joy to watch in midfield. At 33 years old and still a cut above the rest with that ball in midfield pulling the strings at walking pace, flighting passed over the top and dominating the midfield. There was one particular play when he collect the ball and Parker rush in too eager and get a simple "pull and push" and end up flailing all over him. "Easy yuhself my youth".

I thought Balotelli played really well but he needs to be a bit more clinical with his finishing. He need to watch some Romario tapes, when you get a flighted ball over the top is one touch to control and then another to slap hard or lob the keeper without thinking it. However he was giving them serious problems whole game, physical presence and coming short or going deep to play it simple. It will come!.

De Rossi needs to hold a bench. This is an immensely talented player who aaalways purging Italy in tournaments dating back to the elbow against the USA. I could never understand how come a player who supposed to be one of the leaders on the side could never make the difference when it counts. Easy chance to score a big player like that supposed to finish with aplomb. No surprise that he wasn't a factor when Italy won the World Cup in 2006.

Looking forward to the Italy v Germany semi-final, a repeat of one of the best games of football i've ever seen in my life (Italy v Germany world cup semi final 2006). Pirlo issue a football lesson that game. Hope he can repeat.

Dinho, wha happen to Quagliarella?  Is he injured?

Italy redeeming themselves somewhat from that abysmal 2010 WC, still a far cry from the 06, 90, or 82 teams

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 25, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »
Oh and dat penalty from Pirlo......lawd.  Ah love it!!!!   :applause: :applause:

pirlo in a league of his own

uncharacteristically from pirlo, in an interview given yesterday he went on about how england were just.not.good. i think with that penalty he calmed the nerves of the kickers to come and had them believing yea we can do this. to pull of that pk at that kinda moment..lawwwddd...thats what juventus does to you...d man reborn..

Agreed. Uncharacteristic.

On the pk ... the man's deadball practice ethic is excellent ... it's likely he's sampled that variation of kick before.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 25, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
i was thinking it was just me who find spain boring. effective but boring.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spain-wont-change-despite-boring-tag-alonso-125024735--sow.html

I not saying be ah ass an' fall in ah counter attack trap hook line and sinker, but dem fellas have enough talent for targeted small incursion into d other team box without risking everything ah mean bomb rush dem open ah hole and shoot for fuuck sake, all d talk man talkin bout spain ability to possess d ball what about dey ability to get it back....dey dam good at it so wutdf**kk shoot lil bit nah, try to buss tru d fence nah....yuh goh get back d ball anyway.......but playin one touch in d middle ah d park whole game cause man refuse to jus let yuh wine on dey head, come nah man............
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:38:08 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 25, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
FORZA ITALIA!!!

Dinho, wha happen to Quagliarella?  Is he injured?

Italy redeeming themselves somewhat from that abysmal 2010 WC, still a far cry from the 06, 90, or 82 teams

quagliarella in prando's eyes didnt do enough to warrant a place...a surprising exclusion to some...last season quags was coming off a serious injury and during the season he had injuries here and there which limited his appearances with juve and his goal tally was unsurprisingly poor as a result...

1]; } ?>