March 28, 2024, 05:42:33 AM

Poll

how much of a part should they play?

start
half time subs
last 30 min
last 15 min
not even on d bench

Author Topic: Thread for the T&T vs England Game (01-Jun-2008).  (Read 284872 times)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the T&T Team
« Reply #2430 on: June 03, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »
Anyone worried about facing Bermuda?
I just asking eh cause I know we beat up El Salvador or San Salvador, some type ah door, shock the people up the island and then had a great outting to the Over lords.
So with this prestigious record in mind, anyone worried about facing Bermuda?

T&T 3 - Bermuda 0

I eh think nobody afraid but as you post that score there it make me realise : wha's the most we ever score under Pacho? Two, right? And is not like if in them games we real throw away plenty either.
Creativity is still a big problem when we have the ball...not enough chances being created for Stern to throw away.

I wonder if Scotty will get a call -up before that game seeing as there is no real need to risk Kenwyne
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: June 03, 2008, 07:02:04 AM »
Elan nobody getting carried away by Hyland..all some man in here saying is his selection in the team was justified based on his performance (did I mention anthything bout a bleddy spanner or did I mention "his performance!!")..Now we see why Maturana is impressed with the 18 year old..He played better than most of de fellas who rep the warriors in de game...so all that writting yuh did still cant erase that de man deserve to be on the team...and all de complaining allyuh fellas was doing about his selection was unjust..

NOBODY ever once remotely suggested that Hyland didn't deserve to be on the team because of his capacity. People attacked Maturanton's rationale that certain players were being left out/included because of their (non) performance with their clubs. Scotty's exclusion and Hyland's inclusion both seem to fly in the face of that. If Hyland ripping up, good for him and even better for us, but the fact of the matter is he was as much or even more unattatched than plenty men that we KNOW have potential, including birchall, sancho, avery etc.

If what men are saying about Hyland is true, and i notice that men have conflicting opinions on his performance, then is now we need someone like a birchall to complement whitley in d mid and let hyland do the yorke type distribution to the wingers running riot on the flanks...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: June 03, 2008, 07:19:05 AM »
WELL WELL!!...All de people in here who was mad over Hyland selection not saying sh*t bout that issue anymore..Now is evident why Maturana has him the squad..For a player of his age that does not have much international experience he was impressive...Lawrence was not impressive same for Ince...Makes me wonder if Sancho, Jack, Gay and all of de older fellas allyuh crying bout,were to come back how would they perform with this team!!

Good point.

Yorke and Latas retire.
Birchall , the jury still out on his season.
Avery , where is he ?
Cyd breaking his ankle in India.
Sancho , maybe hard done by
Dog doh need this , should try to make as much money as he can with Raith.
Shaka retire.
Cornell Glen like he disappear.
Jack suffer this season.
Theobald was used as a man marker by Beenie, not in Maturana's plans.
Avery playing same level as Telesford and Patterson, and just make a USL team of the week.
Birchall had a half season, but if he was good enough for the SPL during that half a season, he have to be good enough for Bermuda et al.
Cornell Glenn scoring goals. He just playing for a shite PFL squad. I admit though that he probably still not back to his old level.
I never did see why Beenie persist with Bleeder, but he young and he have enough experience. Maturana should at least keep him in the mix for the weaker opposition. Is not like he have to go Hungary to find him anymore - he right they with Cali.

Dog, Jack and Cyd are all recuperating from injury/surgery and will both have to find a club and playing time this summer if they are to be part of the early campaign as will Sancho.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Extra Time-Politics Invades Celebration in Trinidad
« Reply #2433 on: June 03, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
By JACK BELL
New York Times

In the often politicized world of soccer, England’s recent four-day visit to Trinidad and Tobago to celebrate that country’s soccer centenary was, well, political.

Jack Warner, a special adviser to Trinidad’s soccer federation, is also the top official in the regional governing body, Concacaf, and a member of FIFA’s powerful executive committee. He was clearly being wooed by English officials, who are seeking support for their bid to host the 2018 World Cup. Warner would be expected to support regional bids from the United States and Mexico, but he told The Daily Telegraph of London that “America will not win” on the first ballot, which would make his vote available on subsequent ballots.

But beyond the festivities in Port of Spain, where England won Sunday, 3-0, Trinidad’s federation and Warner have been involved in a dispute with 16 players from the 2006 World Cup team over how to divide the tournament booty. Last week, an arbitrator in London ruled that the players were entitled to half of the federation’s profit, which is estimated to be $28 million. A hearing later this month will decide who receives what.

“Not a single member of the team was even offered a ticket to the game,” Shaka Hislop said of the match with England in a telephone interview from Dallas. He was the goalkeeper on the World Cup team and is currently a soccer analyst for ESPN. Only one of the players involved in the dispute, Dwight Yorke, attended the centenary celebration.

“Everyone can see it was simply a way for England to get on the good side of one of FIFA’s most powerful men,” Hislop said.

After the arbitrator’s ruling, Hislop said, the players feel “some relief and a lot of justification” in their feud with the federation in Trinidad. “We entered into an agreement, one that Mr. Warner offered us, for 50 percent of the profits,” he said. “This is our trade, this is how we earn our living. It took a special group of players to take it to the courtroom.”
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: June 03, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
Oh yess see wha we does deal with ..............

Reggae-Fan 
Reggae Guru   Join Date: Jul 1995

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-0 for england. watched teh game. The English looked to be uncomfortable playing in the tropical conditions. I think they were more thinking of hitting the beach than extending themselves agaianst T&T. They made 7 chnages in teh secnd half.

Would love to have them in the Office. I am sure we would have been able to give them a better game.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:45 AM »
the ONLY decent players i saw on Sunday besides most of england "b" side

carlos, whittley, yorke, the rest need to work on their first touch, looked like a bunch of rapist out there, england knew that and closed us too quick,

and you could clearly see the difference between them moving the ball around and us playing like everybody is ah midfield genius holding the ball too long and CONSTANTLY ball watching

lost of work to do especially if Canada giving Brazil horrors and Mexico and usa in we group so plus all them small islands feel they have ah chance too and lets nto forget them central American teams who never say die

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
ratings

there was no A for attack and definitely no G for goal

E for effort but only with a D for defense

this team needs a C for coach

sorry all you guys that are rating this one good and that one with promise. I am tired of promises. I just wish the coach would encourage the players to take shots at the net.
they looked to me like all of them (yes, including the great stern) were afraid of the net.
and by the way- what kind of set plays were those? again- not designed to score.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Questions over Soca Warriors
« Reply #2437 on: June 03, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
Questions over Soca Warriors
By ZAID MOHAMMED Sports Editor Tuesday, June 3 2008
Newsday

THE PERFORMANCE of the Trinidad and Tobago football team against England in the much touted Centennial Match on Sunday presented more questions than answers.

Coming just two weeks before the opening match of the CONCACAF qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the performance of the Soca Warriors did not give any reason to hold out much hope.

Understandably the Soca Warriors were playing one of the top teams in the world who despite being not up to full strength strolled to a comfortable 3-0 victory. But the approximately 25,000 fans who packed the Hasely Crawford Stadium at Mucurapo were left unimpressed with the make-up of the team and the tactics of coach Francisco Maturana.

England led for the 58th time by David Beckham, got the opening goal in the 11th minute from Gareth Barry and two more on each side of the half from Jermain Defoe to end their 2008 regular season on a winning note. But it was not the goals as much as the way the English ran rough-shod over the Trinidad and Tobago team that was the source of much concern. The home team never threatened except from the sheer play-making abilities of Carlos Edwards, who last season helped his club Sunderland get into the English Premiership.

Edwards sadly lacked any support in the midfield and fans were left wondering where was England-born Chris Birchall who played a crucial role in his team’s qualification for their first World Cup Finals in Germany two years ago. Birchall was present in Trinidad over the weekend but for reasons only known to the football administrators he was not included not only for the Centennial Match but for Saturday’s warm-up against Jamaica on Saturday and the Bermuda World Cup qualifier on June 15.

The former Port Vale midfielder was among several players who took the Football Federation to court for World Cup bonus money, a matter which was ruled in their favour by the Court of Arbitration in London, England.

This led to speculation that there was a “blacklist” in existence after several other top players involved in the court action were unexplainably omitted from the national team.

Another of those players, Jason Scotland who plays for Swansea City in the second tier of English Football was a notable omission against England on Sunday .

His future too on the national team and the important role he can play in the forward line have been clouded in uncertainty despite being top scorer for his club which earned him “Player of the Year” honours in Wales.

Not only has the Birchall and Scotland omissions to be addressed seriously and in quick time but also other issues surrounding players who have shown the credentials to assume a place in the campaign for South Africa 2010 and others who clearly lack the qualities to go forward. One player, Kern Cupid has been selected on the 18-man squad and actually played against England on Sunday but has not been included in the starting XI for W Connection, his local club team in the TT Pro League. Darryl Roberts, who played last season for Dutch First Division side Rotterdam and did not particularly distinguish himself is currently without a professional contract
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 01:27:18 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Questions over Soca Warriors
« Reply #2438 on: June 03, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »
good article
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: June 03, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »
good article

I beg to differ. No offense to Mr. Mohammed, but tt sounds like someone ask a high school or first year university to write a essay on "The selection controversy in the Trinidad and Tobago football team"
Everything sounds slightly artificial, as if the person ent follow the events in question but read about them several years after piecing together newspaper and internet reports.
It talks about Birchall omission as if the author just wake up from a coma and realise Birchall not on the team. The talk about Roberts completely ignores that we are smack in the off season and a number of other inconsistencies/omissions that you can't really let slide...

The only real piece of useful info in there was the fact that Cupid benching for Connection.
However it says that Birchall not included for the other matches either, so does that signify that only men in the 23 training squad will be eligible for the Bermuda match?

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »
allyuh doesn't realized that the team is at rebuilding mode. i wish i saw de game on the internet. we de soca warriors should have subscribtion

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2441 on: June 03, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »
Roberts didn't distinguish himself for Sparta? I thought he was the second top scorer with 7 goals (the joint top scorers had 8 ). Ah guess Kenwyne didn't distinguish himself either.

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: June 03, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »
THe team is re-building. Let the youths learn from now. Trinidad was the oldest team in the WC. Are we suppose to wait till, those guys reach 39, then to suddenly replace them? Who are u going to replace them with? Let these young guys play these types of matches NOW and learn. How else they going learn? Imagine guys like Jermey Short, Brent Rahim, David Austin, Cecil Hinds, etc, etc......had the chance to play against, Ian Wright, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoigne,, etc, etc, back in the early 90's, where these guys could have learn and elevated their gaime, instead of wasting their talents in the NCAA College Nonsense......imagine the progress that we could have made?

To be honest, these young T&T footballers are talented. But there and no way better talented these crop of guys I mentioned earlier. I am glad that Hyland and company are getting the chance to play at this level, rather than waste away in the USA College nonsense, league, which they can EASILY waste away.  If these guys continue on this track, they will sign contracts in Europe.

Let them take de licks now. Even if Trinidad does not qualify for 2010, these guys are still young, and if they continue and learn from now, there is 2014 and 2018 to look fwd too, which by then thery would be VERY seasoned and EXPERIENCED players...........

Yes, we can't discard ALL the experienced WC guys from 2006, but at the same time, Rebuilding has to be done. It happens in ALL sports. Look at the NBA. U have to rebuild...........

Chris Birchall, Jason Scotland and Colin Samuel should all be the squad in my opinion, but the coach makes the final selection. It eh matter who in or who out, not everyone go be pleased............

truetrini

« Reply #2443 on: June 03, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »
Roberts didn't distinguish himself for Sparta? I thought he was the second top scorer with 7 goals (the joint top scorers had 8 ). Ah guess Kenwyne didn't distinguish himself either.

de man say roberts eh distinguish heself against england...

what dry so?

Yuh thought processes?  :)  ah js on kicks eh

and midnight, i is ah dunce eh..why yuh find de man article so puerile?

Yuh should axe T&T public why dem eh support de blacklisted players and further axe dem why dem clap Jack so hard.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: June 03, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

de man say roberts eh distinguish heself against england...

what dry so?

Yuh thought processes?  :)  ah js on kicks eh

Dat eh wha he saying at all. He talking about all de men who make de team with questionable credentials and "who clearly lack the qualities to go forward". First he bring up Cupid and say he cyah even start for W Connection. Den he bring up Roberts, talkin bout he eh distinguish himself wit Sparta. He was done talking bout England long time.

truetrini

« Reply #2445 on: June 03, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
DRY SO YUH BUFFING MEH WHEN AH SAY i ON KICKS?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: June 03, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
DRY SO YUH BUFFING MEH WHEN AH SAY i ON KICKS?
lol. Me eh buffing yuh, brudda. Just clarifying.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »
and midnight, i is ah dunce eh..why yuh find de man article so puerile?

Yuh should axe T&T public why dem eh support de blacklisted players and further axe dem why dem clap Jack so hard.

Puerile ent de real word. Just not really spot on. Like a movie scenario with holes in the plot or a concert with off key singing. I glad somebody other than Lasana writing something other than just a "T&T loses to England article, , but you could almost see the duct tape sticking out from the edges as you reading. Anyway, I suppose I shouldn't criticise when men trying they best...

As for the T&T public, I not asking them nothing cos i done know the answers.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: June 03, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »
Don't worry Ann men will get sign in the Prem and come back as super heroes in the next few years. So hold tight for a little, yuh don't want the players to force ripe do you!?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: June 03, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »
Nah Nah I going with Cupid over Seon Power any day.

Seon Power cyar make my team no way no how....I glad he get a rest.

HATER!!!  :shameonyou: :flamethrower: :busshead:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: June 03, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »
game plan on sunday: not to conceed too many

because we looked liek a side that hardly knew what was going on

we should have been gung-ho from the start

with on ething on yuh mind "do yuh job and support the rest of the men on d pitch"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Time-Politics Invades Celebration in Trinidad
« Reply #2451 on: June 03, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »
"Not a dyam ticket fuh dem". I eh even realize it was dah bad. Laaaaaad dis man sick no tail. Point well acknowledged. Thanks MP for de post. Eh!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 03, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
game plan on sunday: not to conceed too many

because we looked liek a side that hardly knew what was going on

we should have been gung-ho from the start

with on ething on yuh mind "do yuh job and support the rest of the men on d pitch"

Yuh have to bear in mind, we have men who don't know the game.

Only Ince, Lawrence, Whitley (to some extent), Edwards, John & Jones really KNOW the game (I eh countin Yorke).

By "knowing the game", I talkin bout positional play, off the ball running, moving into space, playing without the ball etc.

When you have 75% of yuh backline DOH KNOW DE GAME....wha yuh expeck?  De backline fuh example have to learn how to operate as a unit.  When to step up, how to keep yuh shape, who coverin fuh who etc.

It go take time to understand yuh role, and to LEARN dese tings.  Tings dat frankly yuh supposed to at least have a basic understanding of by de time yuh graduate to de senior national team.

Whitley know a lil bit because of his WC qualifying and WC experiences.  But we doh teach dem ting in football.  Men want to play WITH the ball but doh have much of a clue how to play when de opposition have de ball.

Is why Keon Daniel out of position so often, why we defence was constantly under pressha, why Cupid had such a terrible game.

If yuh remember well.....Cupid's performance in dis game was almost a carbon copy of Cyd Gray's performance against Costa Rica in a WC qualifyin match in Costa Rica back in 2000 ah tink it was.  It was his debut.  Poor fella get LIX dat game and why?  Because de Keon Daniel of dat game, Angus Eve never once track back to help him out.  Medford and dem had a ball runnin rings rong poor Cyd.

Cyd Gray end up bein arguably we best player in Germany.  Why?  He LEARN to play de position and dat aligned with his natural qualities such as speed, recovery and tackling all combine to make him a relative success in de position.  Most imporatantly, he had man like Birchall and Yorke who was coverin ground and workin WITH him so dat he was hardly ever isolated.  DAT is team work and fuh a man who know so much football, I really cyah understand why Alvin does hate on Birchie so much.

Cupid could have had it much worse.  He was lucky it was a fete match but he have de raw tools, jes like Cyd to succeed.  Whether he have de mentality, discipline and focus to follow through like Cyd remains to be seen.  Same goes fuh all dem youths.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:32:29 PM by palos »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
Ann excelent post especially when we woman are bein encourage 2 go on a netball site
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Time-Politics Invades Celebration in Trinidad
« Reply #2454 on: June 03, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »
Dey eh deserve no ticket dey go up against d man who gave more 2 football than football gave 2 him. D arbitrator say what we have been sayin except frico and youth baller d man is a Krook he rob  d SW.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 03, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
Where d hell he was all d time. When u rebuildin u does have have some foundation 2 build on d period rite after d WC was d time 2 merge dold wit d new it nevahappen all yuh have an A Level student in d side leave out a man who just get he c promoted and tell me we rebuildin.

Jamal Gay not Scotland betta come of d bench because he was originally in d squad dat mean he is a betta player.

We luv 2 discard in TNT we me 2 phone wukin good but we want d latest phone u 4get d good service d me 2 was given u. Nobody say carry Dog 2 d WC but y was he not dey 2 help Noreiga out. Yes Noreiga d man who Youth Baller and Frico boi leff 2 hang out 2 dry in d USA.

Where Noreiga 2day?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 03, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »
GOOD  POINT, we rebulding with little or no foundation
Brick and mortar on top of quicksand :rotfl:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »
Ann excelent post especially when we woman are bein encourage 2 go on a netball site

By who?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: June 04, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
What rock did Zaid crawl out of to write dat article?
That article is shit.

Where was he when we played all those friendlies?  What were his comments?  He just expected us to play against a top quality team just so?

The fact that he only singled out Edwards (probably the only player he can recognise) as having a good game and ignored the contributions of Whitley, Hyland and even Stern shows that he aint really know what he talking about.

He speaks about Birchall as if he would have made us a greater attacking threat from midfield.  He waste down Roberts talking about how he aint distinguish himself in Holland without knowing anything about the player and how he has been playing for both club and country in recent times.

His comments on Cupid were spot on, but even my little non football loving sister thinks that Cupid should not have played.

Yuh cant please Trinis.

Wim aint want to work with de locals........we vex

Maturana working with the locals........we still vex

steups, ah going and look for de newsday with dat article and bun it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: June 04, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »
Thank u Andre

1]; } ?>