April 26, 2024, 01:41:11 AM

Author Topic: Our path to World Cup South Africa.  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Our path to World Cup South Africa.
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »
Our path to World Cup South Africa.
By: Alvin Corneal (Guardian).
[/size]

The taste of World Cup Germany 2006 is still very much on our lips and this magnificent experience has brought to the people of this country, a spirit of patriotism, a desire to reach further, and most importantly, an image which our young people can catapult into a driving gear for a better sporting life.

It’s a pity that our neglect of history has never demonstrated a definitive path from the early days when outstanding athletes like Ahamad Charles, Thor Scholset, Babsie Daniel, and Alvin Rodrigues, none of whom I have been privileged to see on the football fields, were unassumingly setting a strong base upon which this little nation could build.

This highly qualitative array of super talented players continued consistently throughout the fifties to the end of the century and wrestled through some roller coaster rides to a senior world Cup Finals in Germany.

The success of that journey has now left today’s team of players towards another effort to reach a repeat of 2006.

There are still those who believe that the dice rolled heavily in our favour and we capitalised upon the opportunity which culminated into an arena which included Sweden, Paraguay, and our previous superiors, England.

In the midst of that euphoria, few would have recognised the meaningful investment into youth programming, where our Under-20 of 2005 and our U-17 of 2008 had made enormous strides towards today’s challenge of World Cup football.

The picture is now clearer, as names like Aklie Edwards, Makan Hislop, Ataullah Guerra, Keon Daniel, Kareem Smith, Khaleem Hyland, Jamal Gay and Marvin Phillip, have joined with a young, but more experienced group of Darryl Roberts, Osei Telesford, Stephan David, Ancil Farrier, Kern Cupid and Kevaughn Connell.

Put this lot together with the vast and still capable Clayton Ince, Dennis Lawrence, Stern John, Carlos Edwards, Marquee player Kenwyne Jones (still only 23 years old) and keep an eye on the bubble players Jason Scotland, Randi Patterson, Lester Peltier, Kerry Baptiste, and Hayden Tinto.

Yes, the names with which we are playing could produce some excellent results if they are prepared to stay the course. And exactly what do they have to do in order to achieve their goals?

The passion is already there within the fans and seemingly among the players as well, so we can rest assured that one stage of the task is in focus.

The other areas of our game were actually exposed when we played against England, where the defensive and over cautious approach to the game, sometimes left us with a role as spectators.

There was an absolute need for assertiveness, a businesslike and aggressive attitude, plus the need to show that we are on the field to win.

The Jamaica match brought out two interesting features in our game. The first is that our young players improved their intensity and became ball winners, as opposed to ball watchers which we displayed against England.

The other feature was courage! Yes ! Courage !

What a pleasant sight is was to see the fighting spirit of youngsters like Hyland, Whitley, Hislop, Edwards, Daniel and Telesford. This brought to my mind a new trend in our football, and one can thank the likes of Lawrence, Edwards and Ince for their injection into the hearts of the youngsters.

Admittedly, this determined aggression may have been incited by the tough tackling of the “Reggae Boyz”, and could even be mistaken for retaliation. But the lesson must have been learned from the exercise.

So, with just three days to the opening day of our World Cup encounter, I reckon that this team is ready for Bermuda. This must not be seen as a fait accomplit (a done deal), as we have had a serious setback against this same country many moons ago, when we were alleged to be a much better team than they are, yet still lost the game. It deprived us of a silver medal in the Pan Am Games of 1967 in Winnipeg Canada.

This is not only about winning the matches on the next two Sundays, but firmly sending a message to the football world that we are ready to compete against the likes of North and Central America.

I would expect that Francisco Maturana and his staff will be making a demand from their players from the very first touch and let the opponents know that this will be a tough, intense, aggressive and courageous exercise for which the “Soca Warriors” are ready.

We must also show up with our thousands of supporters to turn the Marvin Lee Stadium (Macoya) into a den where visiting teams come to be devoured by a nation committed to making numbers count and victory our main goal.

And speaking about the stadium, I am really bothered by the fact that the Hasely Crawford Stadium is not used for this encounter. I do not know who is responsible, but they are doing an injustice to the game while players and supporters are living the passion of improved football.

Politics in not my game, but getting it into the mix and putting the players at a disadvantage is tantamount to being disloyal to our country.

I have nothing personally against the Marvin Lee Stadium, but with 15,000 more voices and the atmosphere which could affect the focus of the Bermudans, whose population will not even fill our stadium, that is an environment which will benefit our team.

For the sake of this country, I humbly ask the stakeholders to be more responsible and let the priority for playing our World Cup fixtures reflect our commitment to a matured society.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:16:01 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
Re: Our path to World Cup South Africa.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:25:31 AM »
Put this lot together with the vast and still capable Clayton Ince, Dennis Lawrence, Stern John, Carlos Edwards, Marquee player Kenwyne Jones (still only 23 years old) and keep an eye on the bubble players Jason Scotland, Randi Patterson, Lester Peltier, Kerry Baptiste, and Hayden Tinto.

Maybe it is just me but after reading Lasana's article it is glaring the ommission of Spann or Birchall (the Jack listed players), especially when KJ's age is listed.  But then again is Alvin corneal writing the article.

This is not only about winning the matches on the next two Sundays, but firmly sending a message to the football world that we are ready to compete against the likes of North and Central America.

Alvin keep focusing on the courage we shown in the Jamaica game and not on the lack of creativity in the midfield or lack of strucutre in the last third of our field.  You are simply praising Maturana as Caesar before you plunge the dagger in his back to have Anton assume the head coach role for T&T.  Though you barely mention the coaching staff in your entire article some can read between the lines.

Politics in not my game, but getting it into the mix and putting the players at a disadvantage is tantamount to being disloyal to our country.
   :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Blessings

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:38:21 AM by Lower St. John »
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:30:19 AM »
or the fact that we will do well if we sell out the marvin lee stadium
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:31:41 AM »
i feel like RTG today
Cornmeal....HYSAFHN
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:53 AM »
my sweet TnT.......if it isn't one thing is the next.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:21:37 AM »
The players deserve that acknowledgement for their fighting spirit. It was not always a strong characterisitc of some past teams. Nice to see Alvin Corneal praise them for it.

But  the source of that courage and pride was and still is the-under-blacklist 2006 Soca Warriors. And to not even mention Birchall name in any discussion pertaining to that spirit....that Mr. Corneal is loyalty to your own biases and disloyalty to the country.

We eh go forget....
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 07:30:35 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl::bs:

Alvin yuh take meh for ah ass or what!

This has to be one of the most un-objective pieces of writing i've read in a long time.

the man starts his talking about the build up to World Cup 2006 and how we have kicked on since then and MAKES ZERO MENTION OF THE BLACKLIST and how it has retarded our football..

The man waxes lyrical about our current player pool and MAKES ZERO MENTION OF THE OBVIOUS DEFICIENCIES shown in the last few games..

These Corneals really starting to get on my nerves, especially the way Alvin is constantly tries to force feed his agenda to us like we is some kinda blind lemmings or something.

I feel if Bermuda give us a 10-0 spanking he will write that he saw positives and how his players (yes the ones from the Corneal brood) gave a spirited showing.  steups

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:47:32 AM »
These Corneals really starting to get on my nerves, especially the way Alvin is constantly tries to force feed his agenda to us like we is some kinda blind lemmings or something.
98.3% of the people who read that article will swallow it and embrace it without question.

The average person don't follow behind-the-scenes business as closely as we do or particularly care to.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:49:21 AM by Dry So »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »
Is d snr Cornmeal what all yuh expect indepth analysis pleezeeeeeeeeeee. He have a broken record 4 decades
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
I am happy that allyuh mention Ahamad Charles,he is family or should I say was coz he is now deceased.Anyway as a little boy when my parents went to visit the  gran children I used to go and look at all the trophies he got for cycllying,football cricket and running.I always wanted to be a TT sportsman like him but I came to England.I played football and cricket but life was too difficult to carry on with sports.I have to say doh I was wicked as a right wing back.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
98.3% of the people who read that article will swallow it and embrace it without question.

The average person don't follow behind-the-scenes business as closely as we do or particularly care to.

Dry, I would really, really, really hope yuh wrong bredda wid dat 98.3%. ah want to believe plenty people know what de real story is.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Dry, I would really, really, really hope yuh wrong bredda wid dat 98.3%. ah want to believe plenty people know what de real story is.
Fyzo, dais probably low as the crowd at the England match gave Hunt a good boo in he tail and Clapped Jackula. :(
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

The thing is... If you talk to anyone who involved in Trinidad football they will all tell you the same thing. The Corneals are renowned for pushing their own players to the fore to get the caps and make a profit when their players get signed up on overseas contracts. This is common knowledge.

Up to last night I talking to a breddren who in turn was talking to a national player recently and is the same talk coming up.

Really and truly, are the players in our team the pick of the local based crop?? Anyone ever wonder how it is the established local based who were in the pool pre Maturana are all of a sudden not good enough to be anywhere around the team?

Players like Trent Noel, Romald Aguillera, Kerry Baptiste, Nickolson Thomas, Andrei Pacheco, Seon Power, Nigel Daniel and the pro league MVP Marvin Oliver.

At some point or the other I remember each of these players putting in reputable performances. What happened all of a sudden?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »

The thing is... If you talk to anyone who involved in Trinidad football they will all tell you the same thing. The Corneals are renowned for pushing their own players to the fore to get the caps and make a profit when their players get signed up on overseas contracts. This is common knowledge.

Up to last night I talking to a breddren who in turn was talking to a national player recently and is the same talk coming up.

Really and truly, are the players in our team the pick of the local based crop?? Anyone ever wonder how it is the established local based who were in the pool pre Maturana are all of a sudden not good enough to be anywhere around the team?

Players like Trent Noel, Romald Aguillera, Kerry Baptiste, Nickolson Thomas, Andrei Pacheco, Seon Power, Nigel Daniel and the pro league MVP Marvin Oliver.

At some point or the other I remember each of these players putting in reputable performances. What happened all of a sudden?

Not enough CORNMEAL in dey diet.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:54:39 AM »

Preach it!

Although ah tink Seon Power still injured, yuh leffin out man like Clyde Leon, Kwame Wiltshire, Gary Glasgow, Errol MacFarlane, Densil Theobald, Andre Toussaint, Keyeno Thomas, Christon Baptiste etc.

Ah go get buse fuh dis, but yuh see dah question yuh ask bout are de current players really de pick of de crop of de local based?  IMO, Wim picked more players who were deemed to be the best available players than Corneal-Maturana. 

Wim pick the best from who he was allowed to pick.

When you see man like Farrier, Smith, Edwards and Gay gettin pick in front a some a dem fellas dey....yuh have to ask wha it is really goin on?

But of course....we done know de answer.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 10:59:31 AM »
hear nuh, I feel you will need this

;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »

Preach it!

Although ah tink Seon Power still injured, yuh leffin out man like Clyde Leon, Kwame Wiltshire, Gary Glasgow, Errol MacFarlane, Densil Theobald, Andre Toussaint, Keyeno Thomas, Christon Baptiste etc.

Ah go get buse fuh dis, but yuh see dah question yuh ask bout are de current players really de pick of de crop of de local based?  IMO, Wim picked more players who were deemed to be the best available players than Corneal-Maturana. 

When you see man like Farrier, Smith, Edwards and Gay gettin pick in front a some a dem fellas dey....yuh have to ask wha it is really goin on?

But of course....we done know de answer.

Well imo Gary Glasgow, Kwame Wiltshire (even though that is meh boy, he fall orf bad), Toussaint and Christon Baptiste is stretching it a lil bit eh...

But yeah, definitely not the cream of the local based crop and you know what Palos.. I agree with that point you make about Wim because he was looking to work with the best local based on offer. Now let me temper that one time by saying that is not a stripe on Wim shoulder because he still find the best local based on offer was too shitty and he was vocal about that at every opportunity given.  But Maturana on the other hand seems to be working with the best that is presented to him by the Corneal scouting network.

And that was just touching on the local based. Where is Chris Birchall, Avery John,  Randi Patterson, Scott Sealy, Julius James as well??

I'll admit when I saw the youths like Gay, Adams and Cupid getting their opportunities in March, I for one was all for them getting exposure and caps and growing the national pool and increasing competition for places.

But I thought that was temporary while he was trying stuff out and that the best players would get summoned to prove their worth so that we would have the best team going forward. Basically something like what Dunga was doing with Brazil, leaving out Dinho, Kaka, Robinho and some big guns etc at various points to see what he have before summoning them back for the World Cup qualifiers.

Now I realizing like this is what we going with here, I ready to jump ship and lambast the blatant insularity. I am now fully on board with the men who say that the national team should be for the best players and not a breeding ground for emerging talent when we are playing crucial world cup qualifiers..

WE WANT THE CREME DE LA CREME!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »
It’s a pity that our neglect of history has never demonstrated a definitive path from the early days

yes it's a pity that some people fail to see that when certain people are involved with the national coaching staff players seem to mostly come from a certain training school

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
Frico,
          If Ahmad Charles is your cousin, then Sandra Charles is cousin, too. Nice!!!!. She was an excellent hockey player. I think she was the captain.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Hunt get booed and Jack get applauded... Dat is yuh 98% right dey. take it or leave it.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 08:18:04 PM »
But right on the board here men who in the know and educated on the traits of JW still blaming Hunt. So what we expect from the people who only hearing something now and then?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
But right on the board here men who in the know and educated on the traits of JW still blaming Hunt. So what we expect from the people who only hearing something now and then?
yes
amazing eh
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>