April 29, 2024, 04:57:06 AM

Author Topic: Euro 2008: France vs Italy  (Read 8862 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008: France vs Italy
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »
Imagine France coach love he old men so much that he stick with an injured Vieira who could not even recover by this third game..

And he leave out Flamini who had a boss season...

Plus he wouldn't sweat a youth like Diarra instead of Makalele who wasn't up to the pace. He coulda even drop the keeper and go with Frey.

Imagine he leave out a big player like Phillipe Mexes to pick Boumsong.

Imagine he leave out Trezeguet for man like Govou..

Also he stick with Abidal who had a poor season over Evra who had an excellent one. Lewwe doh even talk about Willy Sagnol and Thuram, some grandfathers starting.

Too much favoritism in that side. I glad they going home.

Agree with you except for Makalele- didn't see the Italy game (yet), but in the other two games he was pretty damn good....old or not.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

giggsy11

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
Italy lucky Romania in their group or their arses would have been out. The only good thing on that team is Buffon and they should give thanks he on their team! Holland will mash dem up!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
Italy lucky Romania in their group or their arses would have been out. The only good thing on that team is Buffon and they should give thanks he on their team! Holland will mash dem up!

Huh? Italy is drawn in the group of death with Holland & France, and you saying how they're lucky that Romania was in their group or they'd be out? How many "big sides" you want in a group? I'm probably missing your point, but in no football tournament would I consider being in a group with Holland & France as being lucky, regardless of who the third team is.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

giggsy11

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »

Huh? Italy is drawn in the group of death with Holland & France, and you saying how they're lucky that Romania was in their group or they'd be out? How many "big sides" you want in a group? I'm probably missing your point, but in no football tournament would I consider being in a group with Holland & France as being lucky, regardless of who the third team is.....

My point is Italy and France were very poor and if Romania was any better they both would have been sent packing.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »

My point is Italy and France were very poor and if Romania was any better they both would have been sent packing.

I see your pt., but in many a competition several so-called big-sides have stumbled, so the fact that France were poor this Euro for many a reason doesn't take away from Italy's 2nd place finish.  Having said that though I do agree w/you that Italy too were poor, but remember they always start tournaments slow (90 being an exception) and have a history of triumphing at the end when they do, case in point 82 and 06
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
Ey the best thing about this game was the keepers.
Some real boss saves by both of them.

Italy lucky Mutu choke on that penalty.

Ey I just read that Makalele and Thuram retired.
I hope Makalele get permission this time.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
time to rebuild france around:

ribery, benzema, nasri, sagna, frey, flamini and a new coach. bring in tigana or desailly to coach.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:33:26 AM by Andre »

giggsy11

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2008, 11:02:44 AM »
time to rebuild france around:

ribery, benzema, nasri, sagna, frey, flamini and a new coach. bring in tigana or desailly to coach.

France was always on borrowed time. They did not do enough after the World Cup, may be they thought they had enough. I agree their manager needs to go and did not did not help the cause. Another poster made a great point about some the inept selections made by the manager. They should offer Zico the job.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2008, 11:08:19 AM »
they should give didier deschamps the job..

i aint no france fan, but is time to leggo de deadwood and also time to respect players for form and not reputation.

that means, in addition to the players Andre mentioned, they should have players like Clichy, Flamini, Frey, Ben Arfa, Mexes and Diarra come into the reckoning based on them all having great seasons..

giggsy11

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
they should give didier deschamps the job..

i aint no france fan, but is time to leggo de deadwood and also time to respect players for form and not reputation.

that means, in addition to the players Andre mentioned, they should have players like Clichy, Flamini, Frey, Ben Arfa, Mexes and Diarra come into the reckoning based on them all having great seasons..

Yes Omar, I was indirectly quoting you.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
luca toni is de worst footballer ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 i never see a touch soo bad in my life ....

his touch was perfect when he take dong that long pass by Pirlo for the penalty tho'  :devil:

Toni pull real stones against France, but he is class and has great technique. Watch the absolutely sublime touches he was making for himself and teammates against Romania. And he still unstoppable - cyah score...but defenders cyah get close to him. So is jess a matter of form. Kinda like how man like Klose looking like toots...But we all know he is a boss.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2008, 12:22:51 PM »
luca toni is de worst footballer ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 i never see a touch soo bad in my life ....

his touch was perfect when he take dong that long pass by Pirlo for the penalty tho'  :devil:

Toni pull real stones against France, but he is class and has great technique. Watch the absolutely sublime touches he was making for himself and teammates against Romania. And he still unstoppable - cyah score...but defenders cyah get close to him. So is jess a matter of form. Kinda like how man like Klose looking like toots...But we all know he is a boss.

Speaking about that, did you see that 1st touch by Van Persie from a long pass in which he turned the defender and shot on goal but was saved?  That was an amazing 1st touch.  Toni is an enigma, if he plays like that on Sunday it will not help Italy's cause
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
Toni is tears.. right now he looking due for a game where he will buss a hattrick out of nowhere.

Puyol and Marchena, watch allyuh nut!!

Anybody see that diving back flick he try against France yesterday that just miss the far post?

that woulda be goal of the year.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
Look ... the thing about Thuram starting ignores at least one consideration ... Thuram is no faster or no slower than he was during the WC ... However the French presented as a considerably different team  ...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »
With respect to Romania ... since its mentioned on the thread ... in my view Mutu did not appear mentally prepared to take that penalty ... he seemed unsettled ...

Also, Romania is not a quote unquote shit side ... the squad features very competent players ... several respected in Serie A

Sure dey doh present household names by the dozen but shit ... nah ... France was shit ... Romania nah ...

Romania/Italy turned on that penalty and calling it as it happened ah doh think the temperamental Mutu should have kicked it ...

in any event, that's the danger of going down the middle ... looks like Buffon never took his eyes off that ball

one man's opinion

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Domenech's wedding and a funeral angers French

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/euro-2008-how-was-that-for-starters-849883.html

An attempt by the France coach, Raymond Domenech to temper national grief with personal joy on prime time television drew a furious response from the French media yesterday.

As he was questioned about France's ignominious exit from Euro 2008 after a 2-0 defeat by Italy, Domenech turned towards the camera and announced to millions of crestfallen viewers that he had decided to propose to his long-time partner, Estelle Denis.

"My only thoughts from now on are about getting married to Estelle. I would like to ask for her hand," said Domenech, who has been widely criticised for the poor performances of the France team.

A series of French news and sports websites hit on the same mocking headline yesterday – "A wedding and a funeral" – to express their disapproval of Domenech's timing.

The newspaper Le Parisien said that the national coach has imposed a scene from "reality television, trash television" on viewers desperately disappointed by the France performance. Libération said that the moment was "so pathetic" that the only possible response was – in English – "No Comment".

Domenech, 56, has lived with Denis, 31, a television presenter, for several years. They have two children. The national coach, a defensive hardman for Lyons and France in the 1970s, has a somewhat flaky reputation. He revealed before the 2006 World Cup that he selected his squads partly on the basis of his players' star signs.

After a miserable performance in Euro 2008 – two defeats and a draw and a goal difference of minus five – Domenech is not expected to retain his job for long. Didier Deschamps, the former Juventus and Monaco manager and captain of the France team who won the World Cup in 1998, is widely tipped to replace him.

Asked about his touch-line wedding proposal at a later press conference, Domenech said that he had intended to provide a "gimmer of light on a cloudy night". He admitted, however, that he had made a "communication error".

He claimed he should have dwelled on the talent of the young players in the France squad and pointed out that Euro 2008 was just the "preparation of a new generation for the (2010) World Cup."

John Lichfield in Paris

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2008, 01:17:55 PM »
D man had 2 apolgize 4 proposin I hope d gyul eh sorry if she say yes. Dey could eh so what he was tinkin bout proposin rather than coachin?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
A series of French news and sports websites hit on the same mocking headline yesterday – "A wedding and a funeral" – to express their disapproval of Domenech's timing.

The newspaper Le Parisien said that the national coach has imposed a scene from "reality television, trash television" on viewers desperately disappointed by the France performance. Libération said that the moment was "so pathetic" that the only possible response was – in English – "No Comment".

Timing is a word that lacks equivalents in several languages ... but I thought tact and diplomacy was a French thing?

Domenech mussee figure ... Sarkozy geh way wid it ... steups, why not me?

When the French start putting things in English dahs both insult and injury.

Anyway ... Deschamps already? Via breach and default.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »
France opts to stick with Domenech

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/8307726

Raymond Domenech will stay on as France coach despite a humiliating first-round exit at last month's European Championship, the French federation said Thursday.

The decision - taken at a Paris meeting between FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes and several council members - means the 56-year-old Domenech gets a chance to lead Les Bleus to the 2010 World Cup.

The FFF president said he did not want to make a rash decision based on the public outcry that followed Euro 2008.

"Domenech's record is not that bad as coach," he said. "It is not catastrophic. He qualified us two straight times for a major competition," the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008.

"I did not want emotion and passion to get the better of reason," Escalettes said.

Escalettes said the council members voted 18-0 in favor of keeping Domenech, with one abstention.
However, he suggested that Domenech may stand down if France does not get a good start to its 2010 qualifying campaign.

"He is the first to be self-critical," Escalettes said. "Everyone is fully aware that the French team must evolve. We will see where things are in mid-October. But we have not asked him to sign a contract. It is a moral contract."

He also insisted that Domenech must improve his current communication strategy, criticizing the coach for remarks that were "sometimes like pouring vinegar on a wound."

"That has to change to reconcile him with the French fans," the federation president said.

Domenech's team flopped dismally at Euro 2008 last month, where it was among the favorites just two years after reaching the World Cup final.

But two-time European champion France failed to win a match and scored only one goal, in a 4-1 loss to the Netherlands.

The French also drew 0-0 with Romania before losing 2-0 to an unimpressive Italy team.

"No more France-Romania's," Escalettes said, urging Les Bleus to start playing attractive football again.

French football league president Frederic Thiriez said the fans were let down at last month's tournament.

"We apologize to the fans of the French team, but the failure was collective and everyone must take their part of the blame," Thiriez said. "I back the decision taken by the president. When you are in trouble the only answer is solidarity."

Former France captain Didier Deschamps had been among the candidates to replace Domenech, who now has a first World Cup qualifying match at home against Serbia on Sept. 10.

Domenech was reproached for the brittle way in which he answered questions, for alienating French players from the fans by having too many closed-door training sessions and for proposing marriage to his girlfriend, Estelle Denis, live on television just moments after the French were eliminated.

"He only has one mission now, to concentrate on what happens on the field," Escalettes said. "Now the communication has to be focused on the French team, not personal viewpoints. ... In my opinion this communication was sometimes disastrous, aggressive and lacking clarity. He has a few years of experience behind him, and it's up to him to show he can bounce back from this failure."

Domenech was publicly backed by captain Patrick Vieira, defender Willy Sagnol and several other players.

"That carried some weight," Escalettes said "If it was just Vieira and Sagnol, that would have been worrying but that there was (Franck) Ribery, (Karim) Benzema, and (Hatem) Ben Arfa proves something."

Escalettes said he even went to Vienna, Austria, during Euro 2008 and spoke at length with UEFA president Michel Platini, who advised him to keep Domenech in place.

Several members of France's 1998 World Cup winning team, including Zinedine Zidane and Bixente Lizarazu, called for Deschamps to take over.

1]; } ?>