March 28, 2024, 08:31:25 AM

Author Topic: Defeat against Bermuda, Major pain.  (Read 1930 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Defeat against Bermuda, Major pain.
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
Defeat against Bermuda, Major pain.
By: Alvin Corneal (Guardian Arena).

Yes! I saw and felt the pain of defeat on Sunday night when we lost the opening match against Bermuda. Like most Trinis, the pain of defeat tends to have this eternally dreadful memory of failure.

Quite naturally, the players also felt this deflating experience, especially as it has occurred among the local supporters, whose penchant for victory has no borders, and failure to succeed brings about criticism, personal attacks on players and coaches, most of which are reactionary and are often attempts to hurt the feelings of the team.

Being a former player myself, and incidentally, being placed in exactly the same situation some forty one years ago in Winnipeg Canada, against the same Bermuda, I understood what had been running through the veins of the players and staff alike.

I distinctly recall the experience, which started with a comment by the then national team captain, Sedley Joseph to the team on the night before kick off. Sedley, in his most suttle and sometimes sarcastic manner, commented

:”Gentlemen, it seems as though we have won this match already”.

What the experienced captain was seeing was the body language of the players and the premature tone of success of a match which was still twenty four hours from start time.

It may have reached to some of the players, but certainly not all of us. The result was that we outplayed this Bermudan team totally and mastered the art of missing goals, while Bermuda sucked up all the pressure and the three entries to our penalty area produced enough goals to take the Pan Am silver medal from us.

This night was a replica of that dreadful night in Canada. There is one exception - the players have a chance to now sit and review the happenings of last Sunday.

There are seldom occasions that we have time to take a lesson from one performance and learn from it before the next chance to rectify it.

These lessons start from the top to the bottom. I suppose that a checklist for the next event will be based upon what was actually experienced on the dreadful night. The first lesson is that the process of aiming to win starts long before the game is in progress. The self motivation of each individual must be based upon the collective process and every one’s thoughts and actions must be channeled along similar lines. The second is sacrifice, a word which often sounds like too much to offer, but quite necessary in the life of a professional athlete. If you doubt me, please ask Tiger Woods and his medical staff about the type of sacrifice which Woods had to make in order to finish the US Open golf tournament.

The next is commitment, a word which has never been highlighted in our activity, maybe because we do not have the passion for ultimate success. Being fully committed stems from the amount of time and thought which we give to the subject every minute, every day, up to the kick off time. Have we had enough sleep, have we ate well, have we considered what are our responsibilities with regards to the steps towards success ? what level of effort are we going to place in our training sessions, especially in areas where we faltered ?

There is the build up of mental aggression, a feature in the hearts of the true competitor, whose every move and action is based upon winning the battle, and in the case of the match itself, every tackle must be won, every challenge must be based upon absolute intensity, and success must be the only trend of thought.

Then there is the psychological factor whereby we must all, as patriots to this beautiful country, commit ourselves to gaining for us recognition on the universal arena, through our dominance on the field of sport and in this case Football.

I could almost here some folk saying that I have said nothing about the loss and who missed what and who did what. The reason is because we already have seen what has happened and we all have different interpretations as to what went wrong. The first half hour on leaving the stadium, the amount of criticism which has been laid out by the fans, told its own story, although the comments varied so much.

The statistics could reflect much of what the fans are saying. T&T had 68 percent of possession, they had thirteen scoring chances, five simple ones, and eight others should have been executed by the talent on the field. That is the reality. They have one week to correct the art of scoring simple chances, among the aspects already mentioned.

I have not given up hope, simply because I understand the mentality of our people. We have to be jolted into producing an improved state. We saw it against Jamaica, last week. Bermudas scored in the 6th minute and immediately the team woke to life and played with the fluidity which we expected, until that horrendous referee’s decision that presented Bermuda with their second goal.

That is now behind us, the second half of the battle is on Sunday. This team will produce for all of us. Let us keep our faith in them.

Bermudan John-Barry Nusum (centre) lets go of a shot while flanked by T&T players Makan Hislop (left) and Khaleem Hyland (right) during the two countries’ World Cup Qualifier at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Sunday. Bermuda upset T&T 2-1 in the encounter.
PHOTO: ANTHONY HARRIS

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:59:02 AM by Flex »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Defeat against Bermuda, Major pain
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
the only thing good about that game is the new kit
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »
If this was any other coach besides his son ,he would be calling for blood ,and not so understanding steups

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
Can anyone tell me what suttle mean? ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:03:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me what suttle mean? ???
:rotfl:
journalism in TnT

look the meaning here
Sut´tle
n. 1. (Com.) The weight when the tare has been deducted, and tret is yet to be allowed.
v. i. 1. To act as sutler; to supply provisions and other articles to troops.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:06:14 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »
the only thing good about that game is the new kit
it look real good

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
To bad the team wouldn need to wear it  :rotfl:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
..lol stop with de bad mind..I disagree with ur prediction

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »
Nah man we go win ,the stars go step up ,and mash them up ,the coaching staff doh even need to show up .

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »
Nah man we go win ,the stars go step up ,and mash them up ,the coaching staff doh even need to show up .
Now stop with de sarcasm. :devil:.and this game will show how much fight and  determination the players have in themselves.. de coaching staff cant do much at this point but select the correct players to play at the correct positions..dem dont even need to show up cause dem done help mash up de programme  :devil:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:47:43 PM by Sando prince »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »
Just c d author and steups so loud I must have waken up d neighbour
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>