June 04, 2024, 12:08:24 AM

Author Topic: T&T Championships 2008  (Read 18992 times)

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Championships 2008
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:11:38 PM »
How do you guys think the big race will go this weekend ? I read an article quoting Asafa's agent saying that he will only run one or two rounds this weekend but NOT the final. If that is the case, I wonder how he will appraoch those heats?

Richard vs Darrel- who will come out on top. Had Richard not just run all those races last week at NCAA's, I would say he is the favourite, but those championships bound to take something out of him, so Darrel probably has the edge. I think Mark would come in third, but you never know as Armstrong ran well at Hampton last month.

BTW, anybody know if Richard decide what he doing as a pro yet? As in if he done choose any deal, coach, agent, etc. Probably will wait till after the trials.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:13:54 PM by jw107 »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Championships 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
I can't call it....Asafa will murder both of them but darrell might have the edge over richard.....I just have to wait and see
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:56:37 AM by Ngozi »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:00:53 AM »
I can't call it....Asafa will murder both of them but darrell might have the edge over richard.....I just have to wait and see

Well I just read an article in the JA Observer and Asafa will only be running one race. He will not be in the final, but he says he plans on going sub-10. I think the order will be Darrel--Richard--Marc
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »
Darrel can't beat Rich this weekend, Asafa not "murdering" anyone after this much time off. End of story.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
Darrel can't beat Rich this weekend, Asafa not "murdering" anyone after this much time off. End of story.

Yuh saying Richard ready to uncork ah next bullet race and break yuh collegiate record ;D I hear de plan is for Asafa to run in whatever semi Richard is in and to break Bolt's stadium record.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »
Ato.........ah taking dat bet.....Darrel go beat Richard ..... not too concerned bout Asafa

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »
I for one like Brown cause he from my hometown, but that boy thompson, have the form right now.....but any given day in ah 100m race. anything can happen.. glad to see that it actually have a competitive race in trini

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »
Ato.........ah taking dat bet.....Darrel go beat Richard ..... not too concerned bout Asafa

Darrel beating who?  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
Boss looking picture..............

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »
what monique cabral does run boy........ that reds sweet fuh days

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161341731

TIME FOR SPEED
Brown, Powell on show in National Championships
Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Friday, June 20th 2008

SPRINT STARS: Trinidad and Tobago sprint star Darrel Brown, left, and former 100 metres world record holder Asafa Powell of Jamaica train at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, yesterday, ahead of this weekend's Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships, at the same venue. Both sprinters are part of the Jamaica-based UTech/MVP Track Club. Looking on in the background is UTech/MVP president, Bruce James. -Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK

One of the most eagerly anticipated sprint showdowns in local track and field history takes place this weekend, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

The men's 100 metres dash is the blue riband event at the Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships, and Darrel Brown is the reigning champion.

Brown, whose best 2008 clocking to date is 10.02 seconds, opens the defence of his century title in the seventh of eight preliminary round heats this evening.

Shortly after arriving home from his training base in Jamaica, on Wednesday night, the 23-year-old sprinter told the Express he is keen to retain his title.

"Of course, to win, but the main thing is to secure a top-three spot for the (Olympic) Games, and just take it from there."

Brown said he is pleased with the performances he has produced so far this season.

"I'm satisfied because I haven't been doing as much speed work...hopefully, as the season goes on and coach (Stephen Francis) sharpens us up more I should be faster."

Richard Thompson, Marc Burns and Aaron Armstrong are all gunning for Brown's crown.

Thompson is the NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Track and Field Championship 100m gold medallist. The Louisiana State University (LSU) sprinter captured the title in Iowa, USA last Friday, and returned to the track the following day to seize silver in the 200m.

Last month, Thompson dived under ten seconds for the first time in his career. He stopped the clock at 9.93 seconds to win the Southeastern Conference (SEC) title. Thompson is the third fastest man in the world this year, behind new world record holder Usain Bolt (9.72) of Jamaica and reigning world double sprint champion Tyson Gay (9.85) of the United States.

Thompson has been drawn in heat five, Armstrong in four and Burns in the opening heat.

The Sagicor century will have added flavour in 2008 with the inclusion of Brown's UTech/MVP Track Club training partner Asafa Powell, the second fastest human being in history.

Powell, though, will not be on show in this evening's preliminaries. The 2007 World Championship 100m bronze medallist has been given a bye into tomorrow's semi-final round.

The winner of each preliminary round heat and the seven "fastest losers" will join Powell in the semis.

Powell is returning to competition, following an injury layoff. The 25-year-old Jamaican hurt his shoulder earlier in the season.

"I'm ready to run. I'm in great shape. My coach has been going through a lot of stuff so I just want to go out there and put what I'm doing in practice on the track.

"I'm always happy to run against Darrel and Marc and all those guys," he continued. "I'm very excited. I just want to get on the track and give the crowd a good event."

Powell's 9.74 seconds personal best was the 100m world record up until Bolt clocked 9.72 in New York, USA, last month.

"The world record is pretty much the easy part. To get the (Olympic) gold medal is what I'm focusing on right now. I can go out there on the track any day and I can produce a world record, so I'm not really focusing on the record, just on the Olympic Games."

Thompson's LSU teammate Kelly-Ann Baptiste is the overwhelming favourite for gold in the Sagicor Championship women's 100m.

The newly-crowned NCAA Division 1 women's century champion will run in heat three in this evening's preliminary round.

Also on show today will be Ato Stephens (formerly Modibo) and Renny Quow in the opening round of the men's 400m, and Sherridan Kirk and Jamaal James in the men's 800m preliminaries.

The first title at the Championships will be decided this evening, in the men's 10,000m.

Action at the Crawford Stadium is scheduled to start at 5.30 p.m. with the men's 110m hurdles preliminaries.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »
I say is d final d man runnin now self I go have 2 skip 8 I could reach HC anyting b4 go b stress have 2 remain stress free till sun because come sun dat is stress
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
how come so much 100 meter heats .. i guess we have alot of quality
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 04:33:16 PM »
On paper, the order is brown, thompson, burns,armstrong, i eh know what bledman doing these days

But paper doh mean anything, if yuh have doubts ask bermuda football team

right now thompson in form so i expect him to win and brown being his main challenger...as i have said before burns is the man with nuff talent but bad  attitude..aka..ah jumbie runner..he could crash de party or he could false start or run dead last in the finals.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »
So any results yet?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »
All d top guns in d semi in d 100 m
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
All d top guns in d semi in d 100 m
I doh believe in this day and age we doh even have ah live results link. Steupsssssssssssssssssssss. ::)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 10:47:34 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161342243

Brown cruises into 100 semis
Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Saturday, June 21st 2008

EASY WIN: Kelly-Ann Baptiste, right, en route to victory in the third and final women's 100 metres preliminary round heat, on day one of the Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, late yesterday. The Zenith sprinter won easily in 11.36 seconds to advance to today's semi-final round as the fastest qualifier. Baptiste is the overwhelming favourite for gold. -Photo: MICHEAL BRUCE

Darrel Brown sounded a stern warning to the challengers for his men's 100 metres crown when he jogged to the line in a wind-assisted 10.23 seconds in the seventh of eight preliminary round heats, on day one of the Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, late yesterday.

Brown seized early control of the race, and by the 60-metre mark was in cruise control, virtually trotting to the line.

Aaron Armstrong (10.29), Emmanuel Callender (10.44), Marc Burns (10.50), Richard Thompson (10.53), Jacey Harper (10.55), Nicconnor Alexander (10.63) and Keston Bledman (wind-assisted 10.49) also won their qualifying round heats to advance automatically to the semi-final round.

In today's semis, scheduled for 4.50 p.m., Jamaica's former world record holder Asafa Powell will be on show. The championship race takes place at 7.45.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste was the fastest qualifier in the women's 100m. She triumphed in heat three in 11.36 seconds. Semoy Hackett topped heat two in 11.42, while heat one was won by Grenadian Sherry Fletcher in a windy 11.52.

Emmanuel Meyers, who recently received his T&T passport and is expected to represent the country at next month's World Junior (under-20) Championships in Poland, celebrated his new citizenship with a national junior record in the men's 400m hurdles. He clocked 52.21 seconds in finishing second to Daniel Greaves (51.65) in the second of two qualifying heats.

Meyers bettered the previous T&T under-20 standard of 52.51, established by Jahue Gordon at last weekend's National Junior Championships, in Tobago. Yesterday, Gordon was third in heat two in 53.80.

Greaves, Meyers, Gordon, heat one winner Ansil Nicholson (52.91), Roshawn Aberdeen, Mikel Thomas, Denzil Del Pesche and American Adrian Mann are the eight qualifiers for tomorrow's final.

No athletes reported for the men's 10,000m, and the event was scratched.

In today's women's 100m hurdles, Penn State University student Aleesha Barber squares off against national record holder Josanne Lucas. Barber is American-born but of Trinidadian parentage, and is in the process of acquiring her T&T passport.

Late last month, in Florida, USA, 21-year-old Barber seized NCAA East Regional Championship silver with a 12.90 seconds clocking, six-hundredths of a second faster than the 12.90 Olympic "A" qualifying standard.

Annie Alexander, the national record holder at 57.14 metres, will be on show in the women's discus. And in the men's long jump, Cleavon Dillon squares off against Chris Hercules. But in the women's long jump, Rhonda Watkins will not be competing. The UCLA student is nursing a hamstring injury, and is being given the opportunity to recuperate ahead of the Beijing Olympics.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:09 AM »
Aleesha Barber in NCAA 100h  FINALS lane 2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=navknu-Ya7Y&feature=related

SHE CAME 4TH
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »
We still want she!!!!

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
Who is this Emmanuel Meyers fella? Anybody?

Offline Verteidiger

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 12:53:55 PM »
I know I asking for plenty..but anyone know if they streaming it at all?  I in the States and it killing me that I cannot see the math ups this weekend..Help

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
No live link

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »
it was on NCC whole day, Brown fall down, it look like he trip on he self, he was going too fast to control he speed, but he not injured , Burns win, Brown push Thompson out the race i think he come third. Amstrong i think come 2nd. im still stunned by what i saw, never seen anything like it  :o. but it was a sure sub ten race. Kelly win her race in 11.01 and ayanna come second 11.26 i think, think the wind was over the legal limit
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:58:56 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
Youtube Channel

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
Diehard yuh serious ?   I aint get to see de race, but if what yuh saying is true then dat is real drama. Brown fall down ? Murda. Boy that is a sad ting cause from what I was hearing the guy was looking real good, like he coulda run sub 10 easy this year.

Folks might know better than me, but what is the selection procedure ? Any chance he could still run the 100m in Beijing ? I read in an article that the first 3 in each event will be selected once they have made the 'A' standard. Not sure if that is the case. But if it is I feel real sorry for Brown cause the top 3 done mek d standard.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »
unbelievable

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
Diehard yuh serious ?   I aint get to see de race, but if what yuh saying is true then dat is real drama. Brown fall down ? Murda. Boy that is a sad ting cause from what I was hearing the guy was looking real good, like he coulda run sub 10 easy this year.

Folks might know better than me, but what is the selection procedure ? Any chance he could still run the 100m in Beijing ? I read in an article that the first 3 in each event will be selected once they have made the 'A' standard. Not sure if that is the case. But if it is I feel real sorry for Brown cause the top 3 done mek d standard.

dread that is something that i still trying to understand lol. from all that i hear from the coaches, he was running faster than he body could handle, he was leaving Thompson a sure 9.8 brown would of run, then all of a sudden he just loose he balance, he legs give away and he fall in Thompson lane, push him and he push amstrong, while all this going on Burns come up from the side and win, and think burns run a 10.1 . But brown bounce off the flecking track like a ball and flip all kind ah shit, he aint injured he just bruise his hand from the fall. from what i hear he could still be on the team once he running the times in other meets, so for sure he still on the team. but what it look like was ,Brown first, Thompson second, Amstrong third, then Burns. I really thought Brown was injured, the way it looked was like he pulled his hamstring and flip over. but he just trip on he self lol  :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:57:23 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »
Don't say that, nah!!!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
dread i wish i record it. the man trip, flip and bounce on the track. horrifying to look at, but he ok thats all that matters.

it will be on news tomorrow look the links 7pm ET

CNMG
http://gnxnetwork.com/trythis/new.php

Gayelle
http://www.jumptv.com/en/channel/gayellethechannel/

CNC3
http://www.jumptv.com/en/channel/cnc3/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:10:36 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
Youtube Channel

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the update diehard. At least he not injured, I'm happy for that. Hopefully he could run well d rest of the year including in Beijing. I still feel it for him though. I wish him all the best and hope he come back stronger.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:22:16 PM by jw107 »

1]; } ?>