March 28, 2024, 05:07:30 AM

Author Topic: lil swimmers  (Read 164743 times)

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
lil swimmers
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »
I have 3 swimmers at home. (no, they ain't get it from me)They are still quite young, but let the ppl in the field keep them in mind for T&T, in case they stick with it. Of Course the final decisions will be theirs.
After very 1st yr competing at their resp. age grps
9 yr old is ranked top 5 in Canada in all discp. (2nd in Province)
10 yr old ranked top 20 in back.(top 5 in Province)
11 yr old ranked top 20 in Province for the free.(attemptin P2 designation this wkend)
let's see what next year brings, cause at present they doing it for, and having fun. They are being promoted to Tier 1 in their clubs. I will let those interested know if they stick or sink.

Offline Pur_Trini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: lil swimmers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
Nice!!!  Hope they stick with it - which they will if they continue to enjoy it.  Sounds like they have some natural talent. 

So I figure your 10 and 11 year olds should be ready for London 2012 Olympics. :beermug:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:35:52 AM by Chr15 »
.........and may God bless our Nation.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »
Is swimming it eh have no Special Adviser so encorage dem 2 wave d RWB
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
Max, send me their times nah. I am heading to Jamaica this year with the junior team for Caribbean championships and would love for the Association to take notice of potential young ones who would like to swim for us.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
I have 3 swimmers at home. (no, they ain't get it from me)They are still quite young, but let the ppl in the field keep them in mind for T&T, in case they stick with it. Of Course the final decisions will be theirs.
After very 1st yr competing at their resp. age grps
9 yr old is ranked top 5 in Canada in all discp. (2nd in Province)
10 yr old ranked top 20 in back.(top 5 in Province)
11 yr old ranked top 20 in Province for the free.(attemptin P2 designation this wkend)
let's see what next year brings, cause at present they doing it for, and having fun. They are being promoted to Tier 1 in their clubs. I will let those interested know if they stick or sink.

Real impressive  :applause: :applause:...is jus so dey take to de water normal or yuh have a pool dat dey 'practisin' in since dey  was toddlers??
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:07:11 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »
Dutty, swim lessons 1hr/wk since 5. And 4 days a week, 30 mins/day for the last 2 summers.
Swima ah have it on ah xls file, ah don't now if I can attach it to a PM will  check. I'm interested to know where they are at this point.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:57 AM »
Dutty, swim lessons 1hr/wk since 5. And 4 days a week, 30 mins/day for the last 2 summers.
Swima ah have it on ah xls file, ah don't now if I can attach it to a PM will  check. I'm interested to know where they are at this point.

Max, Just PM their names to me and I will research them. I can access Canadian age group rankings. Anyway, I am currently coaching kids between the ages of 11 and 14 so I can tell you where they stack up at home as well, but I am sure that if they are that high in Canada that they will be among the top tier here.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:27:42 AM »
well pessure, the 2 boys this year competing in the same age group this year - 1st time. Last week was the first inter-pool competition in our lil town. Well the 9 yr old(competition-beast) win and beat the 10 yr(angel), and then while they was with the team on the other side of the pool, and everybody saying loud, wow your lil brother was moving, Mr. Lil man proceed to coach he older brother. Well, dat crack im lil bit, but me an he mudda apply ah lil parenting glue, an plenty hug-up, an he seem ok..ah tell him ah doh mind if he ease of this summer, just get prep to work again for the winter session..he say he like that...buh ah know he still not happy, buh the lil one juss more competitive an doh like to lose (except to 2 fellas who regularly liks him last year, an he seeing dem dis summer.....is he  mouth we fraid doh...he was second in the last 10 m of the back, and he look for the wall and see this kid in front, and just turn on some speed, and outtouch the kid..well every body surprised and cheer (bro come 3 rd)..ah say 'Mr. man', how yuh turn it on at the end so, he say when he saw the kid, he "used his emergency backstroke, 'GET' 'OUT' 'OF" 'MY' 'HOUSE' "...dat is d mouth we does deal with

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:37:41 AM »
well pessure, the 2 boys this year competing in the same age group this year - 1st time. Last week was the first inter-pool competition in our lil town. Well the 9 yr old(competition-beast) win and beat the 10 yr(angel), and then while they was with the team on the other side of the pool, and everybody saying loud, wow your lil brother was moving, Mr. Lil man proceed to coach he older brother. Well, dat crack im lil bit, but me an he mudda apply ah lil parenting glue, an plenty hug-up, an he seem ok..ah tell him ah doh mind if he ease of this summer, just get prep to work again for the winter session..he say he like that...buh ah know he still not happy, buh the lil one juss more competitive an doh like to lose (except to 2 fellas who regularly liks him last year, an he seeing dem dis summer.....is he  mouth we fraid doh...he was second in the last 10 m of the back, and he look for the wall and see this kid in front, and just turn on some speed, and outtouch the kid..well every body surprised and cheer (bro come 3 rd)..ah say 'Mr. man', how yuh turn it on at the end so, he say when he saw the kid, he "used his emergency backstroke, 'GET' 'OUT' 'OF" 'MY' 'HOUSE' "...dat is d mouth we does deal with

That is funny as hell.  :rotfl:

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »
Last wed. lil man fly by he bro an drop 3 secs on the free, down to 36, an announce "bring on Phelps." an his fly down to 17 (only 25m for summer).
they other 2 just below their best times an he startin to ask he sis questions.. ..what yuh gonna do, how fast can you go when they coming for you?"...friggin mouth
Ah trying to bribe the angel to buss he tail an shut him up please, at least in backstroke....yuh ever try to bribe ah angel ?
so ah give the angel the vex look, yuh ever see ah angel sweat ?
go see wha wed. bring

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »
Max, nice to hear that the younglings doing so well. My 14yr old was very promising at elementary school level, but decided to join her sis in competitive gymnastics instead. 1st yr she made provincial level, going against girls who is the biz for donkey years and medaling. then disaster hit.. she did something to her back and had to quit. Ah beg the chile to start back in the pool.. she say nah! I can't do my gymnastics, I eh doing dat.

Keep the updates coming.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:37:54 PM »
he saw the kid, he "used his emergency backstroke, 'GET' 'OUT' 'OF" 'MY' 'HOUSE' "...dat is d mouth we does deal with

Too funny

The small man have REAL inner drive...that will take him far
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
he saw the kid, he "used his emergency backstroke, 'GET' 'OUT' 'OF" 'MY' 'HOUSE' "...dat is d mouth we does deal with

Too funny

The small man have REAL inner drive...that will take him far
we recognise dat.buh he mouth does keep im close to meh back-hand .. ;)
hopefully the humility lesson will get thru...tonight is vs one of the top pools
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:18:22 PM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »
Goat doh make sheep how much lip u give in yuh time
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »
;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
dah's beside d point,  ;D  plus me din have no older brother to ruff up an ramfle
anyway last night races...well the  pool beat we again, by 20 pts.shim

The girl(11) win the free beating her inner pool rival, she did 31.39, close to her best, she thinks is cause she wear her fasskiin suit (get in ah sale), ah say wheyy llike dem ting wuk (even if in she head), I say 2 bad dey so expensive, cause d rate she growing she go grow out ah it soon, mammy say, dah's why she did ketch 2 large in the sale, save 3 big rite dey...hope she doh stop now. She also came 2nd in breast.45.73, definately needs work, but still improving

The angel was in back and free, placing 4 th in both, did 37.sumting which is best time in free, but still not close to his better times in back, buh guess who was in the same race. Yep...Mr. man come 2nd in the back(dn time) and win the fly (18.s). after the fly we wasn't sure who win, uh ah see him walk over an talk to the boy he was close with, an look away an shake the boy hand an ah say ah boy we gettin thru, an he come over kinda sad an ah tell im is ok, he was right dey, and some fellow spectators say good job an ting, an he say "Dad, I won by milliseconds" (milliseconds?) so ah lady next to meh say"dat's great, why are you sad?", ah see the setup, cause ah know d man, an ah kinda tryin to say "heh,heh,doh ask", He dun answer "Well I didn't win the back" so ah say "Is Ok, run along"...the nice lady still cheering up say, but you came 2nd, an he face lite up"Yeah, I beat my brother, even doh MY dad wanted him to win, couldn't happen, Sorry dad,.(big smile on he face eh)" the whole stand start to laff, even he bro come over smilin an say he didn't mean to tell him, he was jus tryin to pschye him out like I say we use to do back home (so ah guess weary not far orf), so ah realize dat is why he come 2nd, his focus was changed from winning to beatin he bro...
nb. to self : be careful of what ah tell dem bout growin up back home

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »
Nice max nice u need 2 tell dem bout TNT we need dem it eh have no JW in  d TTOC we go deal nice wit dem

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 06:44:39 PM »
Nice max nice u need 2 tell dem bout TNT we need dem it eh have no JW in  d TTOC we go deal nice wit dem
oh dey does love up we culture, buh dat final decision go be theirs, yet if T&Tians treating dem as foreigners and Canadians luvin dem up...well,,,,as much as I could want dem or anybody else in any sport represent, is whey dey feel d love would win dem.....I could tell yuh stories, buh ah won't tell dem, it would definately cloud their judgement...right now dey not digging the news of the newspapers at all, the 11 yr old ask to read the express, ah don't know why at least twice a week...an it doh be good stuff most of the time..anyway all dat for ah next discussion thread.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:49:29 PM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »
YEP is there choice y would dey choose TNT? Just do like Marion witout d steroids and wave dey father flag when dey get gold

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »
yuh never know. dey just might..Dem an T&T could change in their lifetime, Hell, we went ah World Cup in spite of ourselves, so yuh never know.
 Anyway, we gettin ah lil ahead of ourselves (an dem), they still quite young, and still have a lot of growing, and development in all areas to do, ...yet :thinking:. For now we just glad they enjoy doing some dedicated exercise an making it interesting for us...besides sticking with that program, they still have to wuk dey books an learn Life too...this thread is just to encourage others, given the proper circumstances an opportunities, to try different things..
I was a footballer/basketballer/runner, and they mudda was ah hockey-player/student, an we just wanted them to learn to swim, cause we were so dry-land oriented...an maybe they juss mite have to save me or themselves from the deep one day  ;D...as there is so much deep these days, eh?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 02:42:34 PM »
Yep plus dey could get an education out of it my niece in d US playin basketball we tell her a college scohlarship is needed if she get 2 d WNBA we go all retire well

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »
Well the boat of confidence get good rock last Wed.
I had invited one ah meh ole coach(Rugged) to check dem in the meet, an to buss ah lime at we O45 game after.
Well whole day lil man have fever an feelin to vomit. When he here ah going for Rugged, braps, fever break, an he feelin better...Ah sayin is better he rest and skip this one. But by the time ah reach back with Tom he done convince he mudda.. So ah say "nah, not ah good idea", he mom say, well we going anyway, if he want to try...when I look over at him, I getting one setta cut-eye, like if he mudda just save my life..ha lord..Well, his 1st race was the free, and they put he brother in the B race, and he seem ok..Well lil man run 3rd, but his time was 3 secs slower than last week, buhwha had him most shaken was the 2 boys who beat him was from our pool...ah give him ah lil peck, an he still feel cool an ah tell him doh dig, yuh not well..he say he have to do the ly now, so he can get a 1st ribbon......the angel come 2nd in the B race, buh it wasn't his usual swim, he hardly tried, an his time was 4 secs of his best...buh like he not diggin nuthen, so ah focus on lil man, cause he start to rock an shiver. Previously I had ask Miss Ting last week, to work on her weaker strokes(all but free) for the rest of summer, but she insist on doing the breast, an chose fly. So her race was next and she came a distant 2nd to a girl ranked 6 th in the province....Well by now lil man wasn't lookin to good at all, an feverish again, so ah went over an let the manager know he won't be doing the other events, and ah taking im home, then ah tell him, and surprise he wanted to go, ah give him ah  sick bag to hold just in case, and before we was out the parkin lot, he start to load the bag  (oh always keep ah platic bag in yuh glove, juss in case)..So i drop him home by Gran, and head off to meh O45 game.
Miss ting came 2nd in the A fly and the angel came 2nd in the A back...but again he mudda say he get pip at the end an didn't seem into it...
Next day everybody was quiet..and they went for last day swim lesson bright an early bout 9:30 ( I on vacation)...eh heh, lil man and miss ting get promoted to Jnr guard, and angel get left at Gold. Well after he football practice that evening, he crack."i'm not good at anything"...well we ipractically use up ah whole month supply of hugup an bigups, an had to borrow some from the other kids and still applying...ah think only today mommy finally gettin thru...lil man feeling much better and announce he would not be playing for Raptors by 21 as planned(big Raptors & NBA fan) as he now has to go after a Olympic medal an Phelps record...he mudda check to see if he had fever again(he still on antibiotics), buh he was ok...or could it be is lack of Raptors game fever...or Bejing Olympic fever...buh out of all the rest he is the most determined, so we .....nah...2 more inter-pool meets to go...and besides baketbal starting back in 3/4 months...
ps: ah score an setup 3, while we win 5-1 in meh O45. like ah tell Rugged, at this age nobody at home or public care, as long as ah cut the grass tomorrow   ;) :rotfl:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:20:16 PM by maxg »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 08:11:25 AM »
Yep plus dey could get an education out of it my niece in d US playin basketball we tell her a college scohlarship is needed if she get 2 d WNBA we go all retire well

I really don't think the WNBA that lucrative at all.  Even a big star like Diana Taurasi does make several times her WNBA salary playing in Russia in the offseason.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
Agree WNBA is peanuts but when I multiply by 6 and it add u my retirement I go B ah rite

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
Last night they did good
Start of with the angel in the 50 freestyle, the boy actually won the A race and drop he time to 36.16(pb), not much, but better than the mood last week. He mudda say like we confidence builder over the weekend wuk..ah din wha buss she bubble an tell her bout ah bribe the boy with money to buy ah ringpop(candy) before the race...Is dat like ah performance enhancing drug or wha ?
Meanwhile ah parent say
"Wow 'lil man', your brother really moved there, look he won!", Hear him nah,
 "So?"..
Parent: Sooo? You're not happy for him ?
 Lilman: Yeah, but..
Parent: But what ?
lilman: I can't be very happy
Parent: Why ?
Lilman: cause....(he look at me)...cause
Me: Why guy ? why?
lilman: cause he will be real sad when I beat him...there I said it !
Me: Laawwwddd ?

The girl came 2nd in freestyle- 32.23, not bad only 1 sec of best, an 2nd in breast, din get ribbon yet so doh know time(dkt), buh was out turned.

then Lilman was against angel in d A race of back, and it was neck an neck for 1st 25, an the angel stop cold on the turn, and dat was it, dey still come 1-2, but was lil disappointed...MrsG, askin meh if is trouble ah like..(dkt)...after ah givin dem fives an ting, an ah say to lilman go give yuh bro 5, an outta d corner ah meh eye ah see he bro turn way..."aye angel yuh bro want to give yuh 5...lilman give him 5 !" Yuh know lilman holdin he hand up like he givin 5, but with only d index finger...ah call him an vex facedly whisper ah threat of ah clout, and he promptly give he bredda 5...
Den lil man won the fly, swam ok, but slowed down at the wall(dkt). ah ask how come, answer, "Race was won dad !" Oh !
allyuh won't believe how quiet this kid was, we had to take him to ah speech therapist..even now he doh talk much, but is what he says...is like the therapist do too good ah job or what ? laaawwwdd
Anyways
They really flew on the relays and it was pleasant to see the boys both selected for the A relay. Lilman led orf and pulled away by 1/4 pool..his mom (who was timin) said she thinks he did the 1st 25 in about 16, considerin his best 50 has been 36, an he only 9, he was flying..ah suspect he was jus sendin a message doh..
The Girl started for her relay team, and did the same thing,( touched by bout 1/4 pool)...ah wonder if something playin dey boy ....so far the Angel has best time for free, lilman back & fly, an the Girl Free & breast, so dey may be chosen to do these events at the regional semis...still 2 meets to go before
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:03:34 PM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:02 PM »
Nice goin

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »
Last Wed., they went up against the # 1 pool  - Westmount, we lost by 37 pts...
Miss Ting came 1st in Free, 3 rd in breast
the Angel-man came 1st in Free,5 th in back
The lil Man came 2nd in back(usually best event), 1 st in fly.
The boys' team won the relay, the girl Team came 2nd .
Their time though not bad, however it was in a yrd pool
not to much excitement
ah say to lil Man, that guy was really good, I saw you really tried to catch him, he said "Yeah, but I beat the Angel, and I won the fly" - very defensive. So I said, it was great to see you really try, both of you going to have to go real fast next week. he said "I'm ready"

So far they all made Section semis(next Sat.) in their 2 events, barring any drastic changes in standing the last meet next wed..

based on their performances, lilman should make section finals in both events, the middle guy and girl should make in free. and all in relay.

their coaches are already lookin forward to next summer as lilman(9-10) & his sister(11-12) would be repeatin at the same Age group, only the angel would be having it tough, as he is movin up to 11-12....shim summer nearly over ahready, yes

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »
Nice dey progressin

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »
Well as stated before the Team was already picked for section finals before last night meet.
Lilman doing fly and back, relay (9-10 boys). Angel doing free, relay (9-10 boys), MissTing doing free, fly and relay 11-12 girls.(max 2 events+relay)
So lil man beggin the coach last night to do free, just for fun...but we know different, is cause he brother is #1 in free(37.?), and he only do ah B free at the beginning of the summer and I think he did 39.? or something like that....ah couple weeks ago ah tell the coach he does only go fast enough to win, so we don't know how fast he can go....well he get through and sure nuff. In the 9-10 swim, lilman in ln 1, angel in 3, an our pool #2( he was # 1 last year) in 6, and the other pool team occupying the other lanes.... well granny dey, pardner dey, baby-sitter dey, some parents lookin to place bets, an tension in the place...an race gone...they flip same time on the 1 st 25, bout 5 m aheah ah everybody, an neck an neck going back...ah parent, say dis look like it go have problems later....well look to me they touch same time...final results.....Shim ah have to take the angel football practice...ah comin back now...

edit: yuh know ah type out ah whole story and lose it.
summary: Lilman win 34.? free,1st in fly 17.?,
              Angel 2nd 35.? Free, 1st back didn't beat pb 41.?
              Mzting 2nd free 32.?, 4 th in breast

On to section finals Saturday : leh me know if anybody wha the web site - or go wait for meh blurb

add: We have been approached by the pres. of Point-Claire for them to join their program. They are one of the top Olympic producing swimming & diving athletes in the city. MrsG told her we kinda like the low intensity (5 dys/wk) at Dollard...den I realized she is lilman coach mudda...she expressed particular interest in lilman and msTing....ah not wakin no 5:30 am and evenin too, when dem coul carry deyself, we go look into it...right now, we still want school wuk as priority...cause when yuh come 3rd in Nationals, yuh doh go no whey..buh we will see how tings go
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:55:24 PM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
I like what I hearin

1]; } ?>