March 28, 2024, 02:55:51 AM

Author Topic: lil swimmers  (Read 164736 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: lil swimmers
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
latest news : lilman , has been selected to represent Canada...one problem tha meet is in Mexico  :-\
    :nailbiting:

add: in the meanwhile,  :cheers: :wavetowel: :applause: :party:

pass on our congrats!

you'll have to cut back on Molson now  :angel:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »
latest news : lilman , has been selected to represent Canada...one problem tha meet is in Mexico  :-\
    :nailbiting:

add: in the meanwhile,  :cheers: :wavetowel: :applause: :party:

pass on our congrats!

you'll have to cut back on Molson now  :angel:
done...well partially done  8)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
Congrats to your young one Max

Plenty highway time in your future boss
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
Any news from B'dos.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:31:37 PM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2011, 06:58:43 AM »
we in 2nd..today's results not up yet
http://swimbarbados.com/news/84/65/CARIFTA-2011-Swimming-Results.htm

Thanks man. I still hoping one of your lil ones can rep the RWB, providing the swimming fatrternity don't put you thru hell. There is a guy on the current team named Jabari Baptiste. He dad and uncle went QRC. his dad Brian played mostly 2nd XI. His uncle name is Mortimor. You may or may not remember him.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
Can't say I remember them. As far as representing the RWB, I can say only one(MZTing) has expressed such interest. And so far, the ppl I have met so far (Swima & others) have been very helpful in that regard. However, given the vast amount of talent in the caribbean and the work I saw firsthand ,being put down by the swimmers and coaches, I must say, the team is in good hands, and Mzting is aware that she will have to come better than just wanting to, she will have to see that desire and raise it to hard work, and doh she works hard as it is, I'm not sure she (or we) ready for the level of sacrifice involved as yet...but the potential & option is there, so it's up to her... I think they all would have finaled at Carifta, yet, bottom line, it's ultimately their choice, we just knocked on the doors for them, they will have to make take the next steps. Understandbly, as far as life choices go, it's a big one. (There is no way, I could have ever trained so hard for so long, even if, I would have liked to or not ( read not)- so they ahead of the game ahready)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:11:54 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
Next weekend, It's Team champs...Here Teams are divided into groups around the province, with the top 2 finishers in each group, being promoted to division higher, last 2 teams demoted. Last year if you remember, we won division 2 ,and was promoted up, admittedly, these are the big boys we're going up against, you can only get to here by winning. The problem for a smaller club like us , is staying up. An although we can compete and get points at the younger ages, it's our lack of seniors, numbers and to some extent, quality, where we suffer. Yet our few seniors go out and swim their heart out, and it cheering, and shouting, and a wild, and nice scene....Especially when they have to race against other swimmers who started off, and developed with our club, and switched to swim with the big fish... we especially (Trini-style) like beating them
yuh know we winning boys 11-12, every where else, we will probably get licks, the thing is our guys have to do best swims, and hope the other clubs beat up each other...so we does sorta cheer for everybody (this year ah carrying flag like is Intercol again)

RIP: Mrs Acres - seahawks swim club, TT
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:54:42 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
Who doh hear, must feel  :)
Big Team Champs meet, MZting, without any prior training, jump up and sign up to represent her School on a inter-school 5 k race, 2 days before. and Mr Angel who has been training just couldn't say no, to Inter school Track & Field meet the day before the 1st day...Ah say "allyuh shouldn't do that, the Team depending on allyuh", Mammy beg,"allyuh shouldn't do that". Well wha we get, "we already promised, the school dependin on us"..We say " The school not depending on allyuh, is not like dey is ah sports school, The Team really depending on allyuh" ...."we'll see what we can do?"

Wednesday, mammy get a call, "MrsG, this is MzPhysED teacher, I have Mzting on the line"..."Mommy, Mommy, I WON, I WON, I came 1st, I got a gold medal" ..Mammy : "Yeaahhh, Nice" MzTing: "but mommy"..Mammy : " Yes ???" Mzting: "mommy, I don't feel to good...my legs hurt" Mammy: "Oh Really ? How come ? You won ! Yeaahhh" Mzting: "well I think I ran too fast, I won by a lot..Mommy, I think I should try Track Again ..mommy, I did good huh ? " Mommy : "You sure did "...Daddy " Why yuh so blasted harden? " ...Next day.... "Ow..ow...my legs are hurting..ow...ow..I  am sor..ow..ow.."  me & mammy sametime : "Yeeaahh, you won..yeahhhh"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
The coach warn Angel, he probably won't beat his times, to much other activities, missed to much practices, as he was sick for a some days too...He say to us "we'll see about that"...I say, "well he's right, I have been telling yuh dat 2 weeks now" "mammy say, "I dunno nah, sometimes the boy can be determined"...not this time mammy !
we drop them for warm up, park, and as we hit the stands, lilman and they teammates make a sign and waving at meh : see below
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k_DBjr2hOxH4YWnMNNsusTj-5PxLB_SLHMucRogkKpQ?feat=directlink

I wouldn't go through all the prelims, but finals
day 1:
Lilman : 200 fly (1st : 2:31:19 club record (cr)) 50 free (4th , 28.91, best time(bt))
Angel: 50 free (2nd - 27.43, didn't bt), the boy beat his provincial leading time doing 27:11. ah throw ah heckle, cause he doh get to stressed like lilman, "ah boy, yuh get dethroned"  :devil:  he laugh," Nice one dad, you had to say something, maybe MOM will like your joke"..so I come back with "Oh K, still have the 200 IM to do, what I will owe yuh if yuh win that one  ;)
           200 IM (1st : 2.33:56 , bt, cr ; beating out the fella from the 50 by 2 secs.)- come over smiling, and buss ah small wave, I nod. Mammy look at he, look at me, look at he..I get up and went to bathroom.  :rotfl:
MzTing : 100 fr, didn't bt, 6th) and walking stiff leg whole day..."Dad, what to do, what to do"..ah break out some 'canadian healing oil' as was saving for when 'Fete match season' start, she say "dad, that stinks" That's because it working, doh worry.  8)
Well, to make a long story short,
MZTing: 200 free,2.17.70 sc, 17 th, of course didn't final, didn't bt
             100 breast: 1.37.05 sc , 35th    "                         "
              50 free , 6th, 29.14, didn't bt
              800 free, 18th 10:28
DQ on the final leg of the 4 x 100 Medley relay, by leaving to early           
Did manage a best time (lc), in the start of the winning 4 x 100 free Relay , 1.02.74 
Finally volunteered, she messed up, with doing that 5k race before the meet.

lil late, will write rest of times tomorrow, Angel, 4 gold 1 silver, lilman 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze, 1 4th place...but our club came last, and will be demoted to division 2 next year. :(

Unfortunately we don't have enough senior swimmers, and all the big boys brought their big guns, Every team except us, had a few Senior & Junior National swimmers, the closest we came to having a National swimmer is lilman. Our older swimmers did not pick up 1 medal. We have 3 girls total, I think, the other clubs had minimum, 40 to our 3. ..although we had the 2nd highest # of swimmers (140, PCsc (winners) had 162) our lack of National caliber individuals, eventually did us in. We not ready for that level, but because of it we lose our better swimmers, and have difficulty attracting strong individuals..Everyone at our club keep expecting our family to jump ship to that winning club , especially since we live closest(walking distance) to that club...but what they don't understand about us, is our Loyalty, in good times and bad. If I could back socawarriors men's senior team, how ah cyah back this club, that have my kids in a healthy sport and confidence building competition, and teaching them so many things about life . *steupes* They will have to force us to leave, we I chupid so.  ::)  ;D
add: just had a though, that at some point that decision won't be ours to make, it will be up to the lil ones, but for now...
2 Angel 13 DDO 50 Freestyle  27.43
1 Angel 13 DDO 200 Backstroke 2:33.99(club rcd 11-12)
1 Angel 13 DDO 50 Breaststroke 36.13 (club rcd 11-12)
1 Angel 13 DDO 50 Butterfly  29.52 (club rcd 11-12)

4 Lilman 12 DDO 50 Freestyle  28.91 (bt)
3 Lilman 12 DDO 200 Freestyle  2:21.18 (bt)
1 Lilman 12 DDO 50 Backstroke  32.30 (club rec 11-12)
2 Lilman 12 DDO 50 Butterfly  30.29
1 Lilman 12 DDO 200 Butterfly  2:31.19 (club rec 11-12)

6 MzTing 14 DDO 50 Freestyle  29.14
6 MzTing 14 DDO 100 Freestyle 1:03.12
13 MzTing 14 DDO 200 Freestyle 2:17.70   
18 MzTing 14 DDO 800 Freestyle 10:28.05
35 MzTing 14 DDO 100 Breaststroke  1:37.05 (bt)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:07:46 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
I fear MzTing starting to get discouraged...  :(
I told her maybe she should try listening to her coach or parents and see what go happen...Mammy say I too harsh..but the truth is, she has gotten this far with hard work yes, but doing her own thing..the man say drill, she chillin, he say go for stamina, she say, she not feeling well, he say backstroke turns, she flipping quite by the flags and crusing in, he say fly drill, she doing front crawl..he say, ok guys now push it, she start coughing and stop...he ask, what's wrong, she cyah talk, he too sorf...ah say "Hyo, how come everyday now when the man up the training, you only lapsing", she hit meh with "A a, I was drownin dad"...I ready to buff, Mammy holding meh back..."doh stress them nah, doh stress dem"...Next year would definately be make or break, cause I see the senior coach does pelt buff like ah Trini coach. Want to see how dat will play out...Bet she will have plenty, more than usual homework, and need to miss practice...so help meh God, I will have to get into the new maths and high school work again, cause me not missing seeing buff pass, we going practice everyday..that is practice we can't miss...meanwhile, lilman saying he not going Mexico, just for a plane ride...Our Home club LC meet this weekend, hope she does something encouraging for her....otherwise if she complain, how she not doing well, I not stressing, but ah will have to say something...Do the thing right or don't complain, when things go wrong...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:59:18 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
OK swims...lilman said "not enough competition but I tried"
Mzting looked very good, Angel 5 1st, 1 2nd, but didn't beat his times, except 1, which he didn't swim since last year.

add: Lilman beat Angel in 400 IM, although they didn't go head to head... They went head to head in the 1500, swam together for the 1st 1450, ppl were wondering who would make a move,Angel just pull way on the last 20 metres. Lilman felt all proud how he managed to keep up with him. Angel wasn't feeling it, as he said he felt tired all weekend.
Final meet: Provincials, end of next month, might get some more club records from the boys, although, they will be thoroghly tested, as everyone who has beaten them head to head this year will be there.
I was telling lilman last night don't expect too much metal, as the older boys have all gotten bigger and faster since the Winter provincials. He say "me too dad, and you said the same thing back then too.... I did ? Oh.   ;)  ;D

1 Angel 13 DDO 50 Freestyle M 11-12 27.37   27.92             
1 Angel 13 DDO 200 Freestyle M 11-12 2:15.20   2:20.29         
1 Angel 13 DDO 1500 Freestyle M 11-12 21:14.50   20:05.16     
1 Angel 13 DDO 50 Breaststroke M 11-12 36.13   38.70           
1 Angel 13 DDO 200 Individual Medley M 11-12 2:33.56   2:37.82
2 Angel 13 DDO 400 Individual Medley M 11-12 5:39.61   5:44.19

2 Lilman 12 DDO 200 Freestyle M 11-12 2:21.18   2:20.49
2 Lilman 12 DDO 1500 Freestyle M 11-12 21:15.10   20:07.66
1 Lilman 12 DDO 50 Backstroke M 11-12 32.30   34.56
1 Lilman 12 DDO 200 Backstroke M 11-12 2:41.23   2:35.70
1 Lilman 12 DDO 50 Butterfly M 11-12 30.28   30.54
1 Lilman 12 DDO 400 Individual Medley M 11-12 5:24.27   5:30.62

1 Mzting 14 DDO 50 Freestyle F 13-14 28.77   28.51
1 Mzting 14 DDO 200 Freestyle F 13-14 2:17.71   2:16.38
5 Mzting 14 DDO 100 Breaststroke F 13-14 1:31.98   1:29.03
7 Mzting 14 DDO 200 Breaststroke F 13-14 3:15.44   3:18.33
2 Mzting 14 DDO 100 Butterfly F 13-14 1:13.62   1:13.76
3 Mzting 14 DDO 200 Individual Medley F 13-14 2:39.04   2:43.04
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:02:11 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »
Well look thing...MzTing hear Michael Phelps coming to town for a Canada Cup meet. Madame step up and ask the Coach to enter her 2 do 2 events in a small local meet, so she can get the qualifying standards so she can get to meet him. Ah say "buh A A, wha bout Cullen Jones, he coming too"...She say " him too"..Well I dun know women and dey sales, so ah throw-in "That's like ah 2 for 1 sale"....eyes light up, yes
Women & dey sales  :rotfl:

Well I have to see this.. Qualifying times : 100 free 1:00:00, her best 1:00:43 last year and 50 free 27:70, her best 28:22 last year...

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »
MzTing didn't make the times, the day was cool and overcast, and it being a small suburban outdoor meet,normal for our relaxed summer swimming,but unusual for competitive winter stuff, it looked more miserable than it actually was. Anyway she approached the 1st event in Hi-spirits, even doh 3 boys from our club before failed at their attempt to get the Provincial 2 standards in the 200 IM just before. She hAd the slowest time going into her 50 free heat, and as it was just the Coach those boys an Mzting, I hung out with them, so both coach and I said, " look , it's not a nice day, no one's beating times, doh worry...just beat one person and yuh never know..besides everybody else is 15 & up, so just do yuh best"

Eh heh, Madame went out and win the race from the outside, doing 28.38 ,a seasonal best time, but not the 27.70 she needed..

The coach bigged up the effort, quietly cussed ( i hear him..lol) the senior swimmers for not carrying her, and starting some basic encouragement for the next attempt in 100 free, in 2 1/2 hrs...

add: so a let her know before her race, we will do a special football warm up to get ready(dah's all I know)...well me an the coach get into ah when Canada cold, it cold like ass, all the time, fire 2 coffee...for 2 hrs..and I fuhget to give the girl the warm up...she sit down freezin, and not she alone...we she win the race again,beat everybody who supposed to have better times and didn't even come close, she had to do 1:00.00, she did 1:02.something..and come out freezing...saying she not doing no competitive outdoor meets again...the coach said she did quite welll under the cicrumstances, and hit her with "well I expect you too, as the Worlds are ususally held outdoors, and many more international meets in your future"...with that meh girl, shivering & beaming.... I thanked him for taking the afternoon off from his own family, and giving her this encouragement, and we head home...
as guess, they will be waving to Michael and Cullen from the stands, as we did with George last yea..me eh going, enuff swimming ahready
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:10:33 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
Well look thing..the club list for Age group National up...Mzting and Lilman on it, and Angel not...he within half second of 3 of the qualifying times, but so far not eligible...but all dem annouced, they doh want to go, they had enuff swimming...the Head coach hasn't asked them or us yet, and we don't know what to do...I definately not showing Angel the list for fear he will go in the provincials and coast, just not to become eligible, cause that would mean, another month of training for he...orrr...show him and let him feel "ah how" he wasn't picked, so he go out and swim like ah beast in the P2s...ah think meh playing them off on each other backfiring and ah confluffle mehself lilbit...anyway, mammy go fix everything as usual   :-*

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2011, 08:26:03 AM »
Well mammy fix tinges as usual...she tell the coach straight up, dem doh wha swim at the Nationals and it fine by us...he say it fine with he too, he is of the opinion as well that pushing kids below 16 to train as hard as may required to compete in such a long season, is not only counter productive to their development but in most cases a waste...he rather just keep them swimming at that age....in addition, he don't think oilman should do any continuous training if he don't want to for the Mexico trip either, he says, we told him he will be in the summer pool everyday, and he say that will be snuff as long as he remains active, at 12 , he won't lose much fitness, and with his possible growth he would probably still do best times, without intensive training..

So right now, we doing training just up to Provincials, which is in 2 weeks...then ah tell Angel coach, he want to miss a practice for a couple house league games, to which he said no problem, as long as they active, he doh mind, he is starting tapering anyway..the philosophy is they are kids and need to enjoy and experience things,....I agree & like it...wins,losses,up,downs, and plenty middles...

But what scares me most, turn round and happen to me last Wednesday ... ah tear meh quads tendon 5 minutes into meh O 45 football game, and now the good leg gone thru .... doh wha dem get that kinda experience 2 weeks before the big meet :-\.   Life is life, yes. Knife for me tuesday
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:15:23 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
New TT swim assoc. Site...very good, very informative..
www.swimtt.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »
Ah just hearing ah rumor bout 2 ah dem swimming in the Nationals....dye friends ask dem too...if I did say "allyuh have to swim" somebody mighta be dying or maybe not as bad, somebody quit swimming..buh dey say dey not swimming, we say "Ok"..so they swimming....mammy good boy... ::)

Now ah not sure if ah happy or not...bet that was dey plan..Unless dey plan is really, we will let dad think he reverse psychology us, but when we really don't want to do something, we will say we don't want to do it, and we reverse it on him, and he will leave us alone, and we won't do it...so the real plan might be to make meh mad, buh dat in wukkin on me, cause nuff ppl dun say, I dun mad ahready..so dem go just make meh sane  :frustrated:
Whatever come yes...right now, I just have to get mehself up on the crutches for Provincials next week, by the time Nationals, hopefully ah walking, if we going, or if not, walking to some Hilltoppers football lime. We doh have no warrior nation sweat, only have 2 ah we in this town, Mose maybe we could play ah one on one...small nation  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
Steups...why we going summer fun inter pool competition, the day before , the beginning of the most major & final meet of the competitive season? Mammy say, them say they doing it, it's fun, so we doing it...ah say, but just before ah meet ? Then ah think bout it...for the next 4 days they doing 7 events, maybe 14 swims with finals, over aprox. 8 hrs/day, starting 6 am, finishing 8 pm, to return next morning, some days,3 events, some days 1.....plenty stress, very tiresome...if they want to swim, 2, 30 secs races for fun...wha ah vexin for, is probably, the only time they will have fun the rest ah the week...if I did think before, I coulda try me reverse pysch. Theory to see what woulda turnout...I think ah nervous and thinking too much,yes

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2011, 05:54:26 AM »
Day 1: It's good to fall back to earth, before getting too high, yet still able to keep your desires high, and not lost in the clouds..
It was strange regularly seeing the kids on medal podiums all year, and here at the grande finale, events which they are in, they have to haul tail just to get into finals, far less , get their fingers around any precious(relative) metal..
This summer P2 way more competitive than the Winter component, as ppl come from all over, especially those that go to school in the US& other countries, and those who don't take time off from school for the winter version, the only requirement is they are registered with a club & federation. Thus, we don't see many top swimmers all year, and boom, they just show up and start sharing licks....

Angel had 3 events,(200 fr, 50 fly & 200 br);  Mzting, 1 ( 50 fr) & lilman, 50 fly... I didn't go morning session, due to my leg, but they all made It on to the finals, so in we went....only medal achievement, was actually the race of the day...the 50 fly, I will post later..Winner, in from puerto Rico, did 28.64 (prov. Rec), 2 nd. was Angel, 28.70, then lilman in 29.09..lilman said " dad, I could see his elbow, but his hand was too long" :rotfl:
Other results, Angel ,200 fr, 5 th, 2:14:42 pb (age group national standards), winner did 2:09:94, good swim but started to slow
Angel, 200 br, 9th, 3:01:99 (2 secs slower than prelims) ,winner - 2:44:27 ...the bad technique he usually gets away with in the sprints, bite him hard in this longer version..fatigue, I think it busted him from since the morning ...he thought he was going to have it easier choosing this over the IM, but now he know..
Mzting,50 fr, 5 th, 28.73, Winner- 27.61...started poorly, but finished well
Overall not a bad day, 1 silver, 1 bronze, will see what day 2 brings...
Lilman doing 200 fly, 400 IM, Angel 50 bk, Mzting 100 free.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:32:27 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »
Day 2.

Angel,1 st, 50 bk, 31.85 (bt)
Lilman , 2 nd, 200 fly, 2:24.38 (bt).  Winning time 2:21.86 , Lilman has set his sights on Canadian 12 & u record, 2:19.smthg, as he has 5 swimming mths to chase, the winning boy (who he has great respect for) is already to old.

Lilman, 3 rd, 400 IM, 5:24.38(bt). Was a little upset at himself...the winner did 5:08.08(same fly guy), 2nd place did 5:24.24, just out touching lilman..what upset him, he knew he was way ahead of the 2 nd place boy after the back ( 15 secs) and neck and neck with the 1 st place boy, but his breaststroke once again failed him, and he had little gas for the free..mammy thinks he went too hard on the back...we know the coach had a talk with him after, so we congratulated him on the swim, and left it at that, that's when the talk bout National record came up...if God keeps him healthy, and he has the opportunity to swim a long course meet before his birthday next march, he would probably smash it..

Mzting, 6 th, 100 free, 1:01.50 (bt) ..she was in very high spirits..

Her 4x50 free relay team, just missed the provincial record..did 1:52.94 & records is 1:52.12...they would have another shot at the age group nationals if one of the girls can get the national standard this weekend

As the boys 11-12 relay team was short 1, they asked Angel to swim 3 rd leg on the 15-16 team, I said oh,oh..best time for sure even if unofficial, as is 3 rd leg..the boy swim 26.20, the can record is 25.84, provincial is 26.80, unfortunately, it won't count as he is already 13, but if he swim anything like that, it's gold in the 50 for sure, we'll see Sunday..

Tomorrow day 3: Mzting doing 100 fly, 50 br & 400 free, not her best events, but she's feeling good
Angel, 50 breast, should make final, lilman 400 free, may final if not to tired, and he ketch ppl napping..

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »
Day 3

(Correct. Below, angel 50 breast, 36.17)
Mzting,23 rd, 100 fly,1:14.22 ; 24 th, 50 breast, 41.40 ; 15 th, 400 fr, 4:52.15 (bt)... Most exciting event on the day for her was, the normal backstroke swimmer of the medley relay team, step down so the freestyle girl of the relay team could try to get the National standards, that the free relay team would have a chance at breaking the provincial record...she needed to do 33.80 in the 1st leg of the back, she did 33.59, and they managed to finish 4 th just out of the medals ( 2:09.94 - winners,2:05.30).. Even so, they were all quite happy as now their both teammates and buddies, would all be going the Age group, and although may not medal, have a chance to break the provincial record, and maybe more importantly, hang out & gape....oh good, I can work on my @$&@ tan...just kidding, real happy for them..

Lilman,28 th, 400 fr, 5:12.18..googles came off, needless to say he was pissed, but before he coulda get in any fight with he siblings, mammy explain is all ok, as he have 3 tough events, and better chances to medal on day 4.
He surprisingly , doh with some remorse, hold that, and rested up at home with granny during our evening trip.

Angel, 3 rd, 5 breast, 37.smthg, winner did 35. smthg.. didn't beat his best time, but didn't have a good start, and had to fight back into the medals

So quite day as expected.

Day 4: lilman does 3(200 IM,50 free,200 back); Angel 2( 50 free, 200 back); Mzting 2(200 free,50 fly)..possibility of 4 medals from the boys, Mzting shooting for besttimes(bt)..

Good luck my darlings
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:14:50 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
The final day was quite good as well...everyone made finals, although Mzting missed out in the 50 fly even doing a best time, that poor girl in tough...she will be stronger for it doh..

Mzting,15th,50 fly,31.95 (bt)
Mzting,10th,200 free, 2:14.55 (bt).   She swam like a beast, and really only faded in the last 50

Angel,1st,50 free, 26.79 (bt,CR). The provincial record was 26.80, coaches were jumping up, officials went over to the coaches to confirm his age, they didn't know, ..excitement, they turned to Mzting, who was sitting nearby, figurin they must know and it must be all legit...burst everyone bubble, "he's 13".  To which the head coach answered with, according to Mzting, "well you never know, he is Ato Boldon cousin". Well, when she tell meh that, I nearly dead  :rotfl: :rotfl: ah start wondering how Mzting must be wondering how she could come Ato cousin too, so she could bring home some medals
Lilman was 5th in same race,28.57, best time.   Swam a great race, 'had dem ole fellas worried'

Lilman, 2 nd,200 bk, 2:31.84 (winner did 2:31.57), Angel, was 4 th with 2:32.61... Although they both did best times, and lilman broke the club record, he was pissed he get out touched again...I let him know, I thought Angel would win for sure, and immediately he started feeling better    :devil:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »
2weeks to Nationals(age grp) and 3 to Mexico...lilman say he not swimming at age grp Nationals, he cyah miss another basketball game....ok...Angel still not sure..when mzting heard the coach talk bout training, she not sure she want to go no more, she had heard them tell the boys they could train on their own, and thought she would get the same deal.. :rotfl:   :rotfl:   ah say wha bout the relay record, besides yuh dun commit the team....Mammy say, it doh have 4x50 at Nationals, so dey won,t be breaking that record, but since yuh make everybody commit, yuh not missing practice... :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
Great swimming by the kids max. 50 free was impressive. Good luck at nationals and beyond.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »
Great swimming by the kids max. 50 free was impressive. Good luck at nationals and beyond.
They expressed their thanks, Swima.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
Lilman & mammy made arrangements for some private lessons with one of his old summer pool coaches. Lilman admires the guy, it's this guy summer fly records he is going after. They will do 3 days a week, before Mexico, plus he will swim with the summer swim team 1 hr everyday.  They had their 1st session today, and worked mostly on kicks..dem not making joke..after the session(bout 11/2 hrs), mammy tried to pay the young man, and he refused, won't take the money....and I know he traveling all the way from downtown to do it...still have ppl who does things out of the goodness of their heart, yet for sure I tell mammy we will get him something before he heads off to shanghai...

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
It's official, both Angel & Mzting, registered at Nationals, and doing same events, 50,100,200 free, 50,100 fly...Mzting say no fair, she have to go training next week, and he not training...he and mammy then work out some deal, where ah hear him agree, he will go 5 training sessions before the meet..doh know what her end of the bargain is..they tend to leave me out these agreements, cause I doh like making them to much..for me and my kids , we could play games and such, but when it get to critical decisions & commitments, is do as I say or find ah place to live...meh 93 yr old mudda saying I to harsh like that, and she not my child..lol.. But of course they realize, that is my commitment to all my family, the reason why in the long run, they will always have my dedication to their little successes, but they have to achieve it themselves...It's not worth much otherwise..but ah rambling...getting stir crazy....if that boy tell meh again one more time, "that is why Granny not coming back home".... One more time... :-[

Offline DLGSportPsych

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
FYI: 5 Ways Lil Swimmers Could Increase their Confidence and Performance (recent blog I wrote)

1. Control the Controllables- This means encouraging athletes to put all their attention whether it is in practice or during competition into the act or skill they are executing at that particular point in time. A swimmer might have to do a flip turn (under water, against the wall). Some of the things the swimmer can control include: how fast he or she approaches the wall, how close the legs are to the chest and whether their chin is close to their body or not. Often when confidence is low, the opposite occurs and the swimmer may begin to focus on the temperature of the water (too hot or too cold), fans, opponent in the other lanes and preoccupied with whether or not he or she will win the event or not. These are the things that cannot be controlled. It is important to bring their focus back to the things that can be controlled for optimal performance. A common tool is using a cue word that will remind them of the task at hand. In other sports some athletes write a word or phrase on their footwear, helmet or armband.

2. Self Talk- Often athletes speak to themselves during the execution of skills. This might be aloud or to themselves. Individual sports such as tennis illustrate some clear examples where we see self talk. Self talk can be positive of negative and both affect how athletes perform. Coaches, parents and other sporting professionals can apply the following with their athletes: When we sit and think about the most fun we ever had in our lives, most of us will begin to smile, laugh or feel some level of tranquility and happiness. Similarly, when asked to recall a nightmare, we remember having sweaty palms, an increased heart rate, tightness of the body etcetera. These two areas portray how the mind and our thoughts affect our bodies. The former affects it in a productive manner and the latter in an unhelpful way. This happens on the court, course, field, track and in the pool (a variety of sporting environments). When athletes say things like, I cannot do this, I am going to lose and this is the worst I have played, it reflects in their body language, how much effort they give and in the way they perform. What then usually happens is that opponents feed of this and it boosts their level of confidence. One way to counteract this, is to encourage athletes to trick their minds. Yes! Trick their minds! Sometimes our brain is unable to distinguish what is real from what is fake (as seen when we have nightmares) so, we can "fake it til we make it." A common way many Sport Psychology Consultants do this is by changing negative words and phrases into positive ones. This takes practice and application to everyday training is a key component. Frequently practicing this positive self talk will result in it becoming a natural part of an athlete's game and increase their level of mental toughness during competition.

I cannot do this = I can do this!
 I am going to lose = I am going to win!
This is the worst I have played = I have and can play better than this!

3. Preparation - Confidence is an outcome or an end result that is preceded by preparation. In other words, how athletes prepare (intensity, duration, physically, technically, mentally and sport specific training) affects how confident they feel going into competition. Michael Phelps' coach made him swim full sprints for two and a half hours prior to his record breaking performances at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, solely to help him increase his level of confidence. The point here is not to over train but after preparing and doing more than is expected, an athlete will feel that he or she is ready to deal with the high intensity of competition. A basketball player who shoots 1000s of free throws outside of team practice will feel better about the chances of making a free throw to win the game in the last few seconds versus never practicing them.

4. Imagery or visualization - Golfers do this a lot during their pre-shot routines. This involves seeing oneself performing an act or executing a skill creating a sensory experience. Most athletes will do this focusing on the end result such as a ball in the goal, running through the finish line, holding up a trophy etcetera. What elite athletes such as Michael Johnson believe is that the process is vital and the result will come. What athletes do during the race will determine the result. To enhance imagery or visualization, inclusion of as many senses as possible is necessary, it must be in real time (no too fast or slow), the image created should be realistic and executions need to be successful every time so, when the athletes visualized something they are doing it correctly. When should athletes perform imagery? Before, during and after practice will allow them to make this part of their training routine. Imagery or visualization creates a mental blueprint of the desired skill to be executed.

5. Just do it! - Sometimes when pressure gets to athletes or they are having a bad day, advice from the coach and changes to their game plan does not work. This is when they have to simply find a way to win, find a way to play to their strengths, find a way to counteract the opponent’s strengths and capitalize on his or her weaknesses. This is where "bad mind" comes in and they give 110% effort despite being fatigued mentally and physically. Find the thing that they say or do which serves as a reminder of their best performances. Some athletes use cue words such as: "fight", "Come on", "Yes" and other personal phrases unique to them. Others may perform an act similar to: looking at a target, tapping their leg, bouncing the ball three times, clapping their hands, wiping their faces with a towel or jumping around in one place. These are little actions that can have a significant impact on an athlete's performance and they are ways to remind athletes of their goals. Whatever they decide to do, athletes should make sure it is their personal and unique action or word that will remind them that they have what it takes to win knowing exactly how to do it.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
I dunno nah, I feel they go quit if I start wukkin them so...lilman might hit meh ah "rock so Dad, how yuh think I'm where I am". They are more kids than athletes.  Still kids, still fun...sometimes we tend to think of athletes as well oiled machines, which we could fine tune to achieve optimum performance...I tend to think otherwise, they are actually different individuals that require individual nurturing ,especially when they are still relatively young and growing, still changing mentally and physically, quite rapidly... kids.. I think at this age, they are growing, learning and developing, and we as parents just have to provide the correct environment that they would be able to develop the proper habits, yet let them be familiar with the errors and lows involved with the learning process... Their coaches are the ones responsible for their physical & mental training in this particular sport. However, I usually research and reference all suggestions in case I am required to introduce some technical encouragement as long as appropriate and deemed necessary, as we train them for life. .yet both mammy and myself excelled at sports, so we have a good idea of the mental paths to success..and it's quite different, even as the kids grow from year to year..

Ps: the swim coaches have over 30 years experience with coaching kids in swimming at this point in their lives, and the addtl current experience of coaching the national junior water polo team as well, thus we think as far as swim training and development is concerned, they are presently in a good environment....not necessary to introduce addtl pressure as yet
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:45:31 AM by maxg »

1]; } ?>