March 28, 2024, 06:22:07 AM

Author Topic: lil swimmers  (Read 164748 times)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: lil swimmers
« Reply #480 on: January 20, 2016, 04:17:01 AM »
Any responsible coach can take a swimmer and handle them at a meet so long as the swimmer is responsible and disciplined. The management of a junior elite such as lilman is fairly easy once he understands his body and can effectively communicate with the coach. The coach in turn is only there to provide support for the purpose of pacing, and ensuring the predetermined form and game plan of the primary coach is adhered to.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Mammy here ,
daddy doh always know mammy head,
club offered to pay and send coach last year, but Barbados and TT would not credential so coach did not want to pay if no access to swimmers. 
Problem was kids reached 2 days before TT team. Not sure if we could access pool or train in de days before, thankfully Jabbari help them out and work with dem a little bit. Once meet started I found that there was not a lot of interaction with foreign kids however when I asked one of the coaches to help with his breaststroke since he qualify in de IM , de coach did and lilman was happy.  However kids were used to feedback after races , what could be improved upon for finals, race plan etc, nobody really do dis wid dem at Carifta, and when lilman do a bad time in prelims in his pet event lilman was getting discouraged and a coach talking to him here woulda help.   Lilman initially didn't want to go dis year cause he was worried about Olympic trials in Canada 10 days after, and not sure if coach would think it was a good idea. We meet with  coach and he think is a good idea and he working in Carifta is part of a bigger plan for boys  future. Also when lilman say he doh wah go mammy say, if they go, she tink dey should go with a coach to from here, to help improve on those issues from last time and feedback to home coach for big meet coming after, and make sure we on course.    We learn from last time, coach could see kids in stands even if dey cant go on deck and we also learn to pay more attention to de schedule as last time lilman do 200 IM, 100 free, 200 fly and 200 free relay same day.
 De coach here also think is a good idea for a coach to go with them when I explain de situation and he will try to get funding and he go help wid choosing events.  Just give we feedback he get monies for a coach to come. 
I agree dey could work with any responsible coach who give dem de time, but Carifta times 2 we eh really see no one really include dem other than M after I talk to him.  De boys easy to work wid, ask anyone , dey just looking for guidance and dey mammy trying to cover de bases as we doh know, if we get to go, what we will meet again.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 25, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »
Fully understand. The staff appointed should be able to seamlessly work with all the athletes on the team in the same manner. Hence the reason I brought up what I did. I somehow suspected that the impetus was not shown by the coaching staff and that was the reason why things ended up the way they did. Nonetheless, it is important for the athlete to be completely comfortable with the situation so that they can achieve optimal performance.

I respect whatever decision is taken as  know it will be in the best interest of the athlete.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 12, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
Oh oh.
Eastern Nationals sheet up

https://www.swimming.ca/content/uploads/2015/08/easterns-psych-sheet-2016.pdf

worse rankings the boys have is 81 st and 82 nd. Yet they only 1 sec. off #1 ranking.
They are using this meet to establish Carifta times, in case they are to be selected. We don't take anything for granted.

I will be in Pennsylvania for MzTing D II championships. 8 hour drive to watch about 5 minutes across 4 days. But she ask one of us come, as she's trying for NCAA standards. So gonna make the drive.

add: Lilman correct me by indicating they put the short course times after all the long course times..and he is ranked considerably higher, besides the fact that he is swimming 16 and Under..  from the tone of the explanation(like ah doh know nuthen), i think i get bouffe , but ah not sure
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:13:01 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:27 PM »
the boys are not tapering for this meet. Swimming Canada head coach ask to see all potential juniors untapered. To observe how they handle stressed. Should make a couple Cara times still, will it be good enough for TT selection? Hoping. Lilman should get some 2nd swim for 16 &U finals..Angel will be hard pressed to get in. May get in 50 & 100 fly B's if he can get close to a best swim.
MzTing hoping for some TT standards as well, though her immediate shot will be NCAA.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:23:01 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2016, 11:22:32 PM »
Not so good stuff.. Night before meet Lilman get sick..blocked nose, stuffed up, can't sleep..but I knew he not gonna let that keep him down..sure nuff, he qualify 2nd only 2 secs of his best time in 200 free,and got in b final of 100 back and Boom, Angel qualify 6 th in a final, 50 flyon top the world..even Mzting make B final in 50 free at state championships..oh coood..walking on the clouds..the problem with walking on clouds doh..
Lilman add 5 secs, come last and nearly pass out..coach had to scratch him from the back, and he look so out of it, coach scratch him from 100 free today one time...meanwhile Angel still manage the same time, but fell to 8th. And Mzting managed the same time and move up a place to 13 th, not bad for a Fresh-woman..and she pumped looking forward to 100 fly where she ranked 6 th. A A.. She turn round and only get in 14 th, b final..she start to break..b final she come and add time..and feeling even worse..coach had a lot of work and try to ease the pain..I tell her straight, she panic, and throw all coach training out the window, and went back to panic swim..she was actually cool, and agreed..she say coach say that too..meanwhile Angel only managed a 31 st in 100 free at Nationals doing a best time..Mzting coach asked her to give up her other 2 events so she can swim the relays..at this point she don't mind..so only relays for her the next 2 days..it's alright, but not so good for my 10 hr drive, 135 speeding tkt, and 100/nght hotel bill, and ah missing MrsG pelau, besides like I did get the Lilman cold too..oh well..Lilman hoping to try to do 200 fly tomorrow, and I get to spend day with Mzting, so there is still bright side, an Angel swimming again...to far from home, to get down..so let.s get up guys.."when the going gets tuff, the ......" And all that

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 28, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:04:01 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 08, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
The boys were selected for the Carifta..yaayy.. The downside this Martinique is a damn expensive place. Looking at a near 7 to 8k CAN bill. Only 3 k for dem doh..The price of National representation I guess. I wonder if it to late to play football...lol..nah, more bacchanal over so..we will be there. The head coach also sending a coach to help them. My only regret though is, to bad Angel didn't have more LC meets to qualify for more individual events. However, I'm sure he will bring his best for the relays, he usually does. Lilman say he feeling good, and watching the 200 fly record, I told him don't worry about it..try to have fun, he still have a year, he just over the flu..but is Lilman..he say, he still want to try..Anyway, wish us luck. Now, 1st stop, have to go see the bank manager. 

update: we have tickets for the plane... "wait..mammy that's is just for we or for the boys too"    lol

add: think the boys notified of their individual events, and they happy with it..Lilman doing 4, Angel 3. I wish they did more, but there are other boys to handle the stuff and I'm neither coach or participant, I'm just a supporter for all the TT kids. When the meet dun, I will be dad again. Let's go TT.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:14:15 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 12, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160303/sports/thompson-headlines-carifta-swim-team

Thompson headlines Carifta swim team
Published on Mar 3, 2016, 8:14 pm AST
By Mark Pouchet

Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee and First Citizens Junior Male Athlete of the Year 2015 Jeron Thompson, will lead a fully-subscribed 36-member Trinidad and Tobago swim team into battle at the XXXI Carifta Swimming Championships in Martinique from March 21-26.

The last time the Amateur Swimming Association of Trinidad and Tobago named a fully-subscribed 36-member team was the 2007 edition of the games in Kingston, Jamaica, when T&T were both third in the points standings (849.5) and medal count (74- 22 gold, 28 silver, 24 bronze) behind the French Combined team and the Bahamas.

This year, the ASATT Council decided to soften the qualifying times for this country, which has traditionally had the most stringent qualifying criteria of all Caribbean countries, which allowed ASATT to provide relays in five of six age-groups (Boys 13-14 was the exception).

For last year's Barbados edition of the Carifta, ASATT named a 27-member team that replicated the accomplishment of the 2007 squad, (third in points-494.5 and medal count -38- 12 gold, 13 silver, 13 bronze).

The increased relay representation—there are 20 relay events with each one offering double points—should bolster the team's drive to win their first Carifta title since the 29-member T&T team at the 2010 edition in Jamaica when they scored 1,011 points and gained 94 medals (46 gold, 31 silver and 17 bronze).

Also at last year's edition, Thompson won six medals in the Boys 13-14 age-group, nabbing one gold medal in the 50m backstroke, four silver medals in the 50m butterfly, 50m breaststroke, 50m freestyle, and 100m breaststroke and one bronze in the 100m freestyle, helping the team

Thompson goes up this year to the Boys 15-17 group but will still be looking to medal in those same events.

He will be supported on the female side by Amira Pilgrim, a female nominee at the First Citizens Youth Awards ceremony back in January and who was his teammate at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa last September.

Multiple Carifta medallist Kael Yorke is also expected to contribute to the team effort as are experienced campaigners like foreign-based Racine Ross and Jada Chai.

The ASATT Council ratified the team yesterday, four days after the completion of their National Age Group Swimming Championships.

The T&T Open Water team, which is expected to be led by top local open water swimmer Christian Marsden (also part of the swim team) will be selected tomorrow after the Carifta Open Water trials at the Pointe-a-Pierre Yacht Club on the same day.

Following is the Trinidad and Tobago Carifta team

Girls

11-12: Adriana Gooding, Regan Allen, Terri Yates, Naomi Patterson, Sierra Reis, Victoria Gillette, De Nicha Lewis

13-14: Danielle Williams, Deshor Edwards, Vrisnelit Faure, Jada Chai, Jada Chatoor, Jahmia Harley, Sabrina David, Chisara Santana

15-17: Ornella Walker, Ariel Cape, Amira Pilgrim, Racine Ross, Aliyah Noel, Shania David, Teresa Otero

Boys

11-12: Malik Nelson, Riquelio Joseph, Johan-Matthew Matamoro, Marquise Nelson.

13-14: Luke Gillette

15-17: Justin Samlalsingh, Aidan Goin, Emil Goin, Kael Yorke, Christian Marsden, Graham Chatoor, Jeron Thompson, Dario Omiss.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 12, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »
With only 1 13-14 boy, we won't garner enough points to challenge for a high placing. Yet I'm sure all the kids will be giving their best as they always do.
 Gonna introduce one of our up and coming kiddies coach to Coach Faria,and although I personally doubt it - as WE tend to know everything - maybe some exchange of ideas and invitations can occur. Then again we are only Canada swimming..not a world force..though I feel any coach can learn something in any situation, the great coaches are able to recognize the lesson, pass it to and further develop their charges, not just record results. Oops , personal opinion ..well, I'll make introductions anyway...Go Adriana, Go Malik

Add: I forgot to mention, so far we have had excellent communication with the team manager Mr Blackman. He has a dedicated chat site, and has been in regular contact with Ma G. Really a  more comforting than in previous years. .partly due to increased technology..chat vs email, and making fine use of both.
Thanks Mr Blackman for keeping us in the loop.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:18:08 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
Oh Oh.. Wha really going on there Swima..I hoping we don't lose our deposits to get there. Éverything on, correct ?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160310/sports/swimmers-asked-for-donation
and following meeting
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160313/sports/asatt-called-to-account
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:51:35 PM by maxg »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 14, 2016, 06:32:36 AM »
A lot of the information that was issued could have been revealed at regularly scheduled council meetings and the clubs could have made input and given suggestions as to how to avoid this situation. However, the executive, and Mr McLeod in particular are running the sport as though it is theirs to run and our information is privileged.

The sad thing is, the reason for this shortfall has not been revealed as yet. But when it is, the public will understand just how irresponsible this executive has been with managing the finances of the association.

We do not get regular treasurers reports, at the council meetings that are actually called. The treasurer was two years late on getting the audited financials completed for 2013. We only had 2014 completed earlier this year, and he is asking for us to wait until June for 2015.

With so much delay and so little up front transparency, it is hard for them to operate without us council members having terrible trust issues with the way they conduct the business of the association.

So far we are still going to the meet, but not everyone has agreed to pay, and not everyone who has refused to pay is going to back down.

Good sense overall, HAS to prevail. We have been skating by for too long.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
wow Swima..never a dull moment in that place. papayo

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 17, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
Carifta swimmers get reprieve

$3,000 payment waived
Published on Mar 16, 2016, 10:55 pm AST
Daily Express

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160316/sports/carifta-swimmers-get-reprieve

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 21, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
Lilman wake up this morning in pain with a stiff neck. Met up with the team and they took him to see the physio. Fingers crossed that it eases up by tomorrow for 1st swim. Angel in good spirits.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »
Max yuh expose yuh children to TT sport administrators? They are such bad children you could not given them a time out. The punishment eh fit the crime.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
http://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/martinique/les-carifta-games-vivre-en-direct-sur-martinique-1ere-340375.html

Not as bad as ppl think, can it be better, yes. But we not afraid to make the sacrifices till it improves. My family has done it for generations. No recognition, but serving is what we have done and still do. Only this time was a 1 st for us with them born outside the country. Yet, as the JA supporter made analogy to..a trini born at sea,is still trini..right ?  ;-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:44 AM »
Good luck Maxg.. Did not realize your kids were into swimming. i thought it would have been football or track :)

I have been around swimming most of my life, and over the years especially as I don't live in T&T anymore, I have had it on the backburner, it is sad to see and hear some of the stories still happening in swimming.
Good luck to your kids MaxG.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 23, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »
Good luck Maxg.. Did not realize your kids were into swimming. i thought it would have been football or track :)

I have been around swimming most of my life, and over the years especially as I don't live in T&T anymore, I have had it on the backburner, it is sad to see and hear some of the stories still happening in swimming.
Good luck to your kids MaxG.
thanks Samo..Lilman in 200 fr finals tonight and angel in 50 fly..they will have to do a sb, if not a pub, to be in medals, so they will need the luck and some perfection..the big boys look like they was cruising while the boys were working hard..we hoping.they also going in 6 th or so, in relay, so everybody will have to bring their A game..let Ian know we still here, and I with him.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 27, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »
maxg what happened at CARIFTA Swimming? did our youngsters underperform again?

Trinidad and Tobago ended the competition with five gold, 10 silver and 13 bronze when finishing a distant ninth of 17 countries

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160327/sports/carifta-swim-gold-for-ross-goin

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 28, 2016, 02:03:37 AM »

Trinidad and Tobago ended the competition with five gold, 10 silver and 13 bronze when finishing a distant ninth of 17 countries

On the contrary they over-performed, for any team, if the 'distant' placing is an issue, you would have to look at the swim(or whatever sport) community and the National program they represent. You can only reap what you sow. Anything else is a blessing. The ones that step up usually give their best.
  Will try to post something when we get back home. Mammy had some reflections which I will post later. Thus imo, it takes a whole country, and not just those that try. The top three countries had the most supporters, not surprised at their successes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:28:34 AM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »

On the contrary they over-performed, for any team, if the 'distant' placing is an issue, you would have to look at the swim(or whatever sport) community and the National program they represent. You can only reap what you sow. Anything else is a blessing. The ones that step up usually give their best.
  Will try to post something when we get back home. Mammy writing a public letter. Thus imo, it takes a whole country, and just those that try.

ok ah hear yuh breds

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 28, 2016, 02:29:32 AM »
Made a slight modification to my post above

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2016, 03:02:33 AM »
maxg the Swimming Federation has to do a better job marketing and advertising the sport in the country breds. I doh see any posters on buildings, doh see anything in the newspaper, don't hear anything on radio.. yuh understand?

I am a big T&T Sports fan so I seek out what my country athletes are doing, however I am in the minority. The average person in any country has to be engaged by the sporting authorities, especially when it is a sport that is not popular in the country.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:13:37 PM by Sando prince »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2016, 04:56:07 AM »
While the face of swimming has changed over the years, I tend to agree with Sando prince. More should be done to broaden participation. Broader participation promotes a basis for broader support. We also need to get talented youth productively occupied and engaged.

One of the things I noticed driving around the island is that they have multiple pools (competition standard on face value) across various  rural communities. Don't know what yield they get from that at the level of CARIFTA, but it was notable. By contrast, I saw only one athletic track along the way.

(As we on this, was Guyana represented? Did not see the flag flying. Do they participate routinely?)

Given the commitment to participating and repping T&T by the maxg clan, there should be subsidization of their efforts. Very impressive to see that up close. As important as broadening is, deepening what yuh have with who is already interested and participating is at least equally as important, if not more.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:11:43 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »
Nail on the head gentlemen. Some of us in the swimming community see it, but are starved of good representation at executive level because of the political machinery that rolled in back in 2010. Whether you were for the partnership or not, those who rose to power in swimming by wielding deceitful claims were further aided by the politicians of the day. Just look at te individuals involved:

September 2010
President of ASATT is also chairman of Petrotrin
Vice President of ASATT is an employee of Petrotrin
Minister of Sport is a former employee of Power 102 and owner of Spalkers
Spalkers property is owned by the owner of Power 102 who is the chairman of petrotrin

Since then:
Former president of ASATT now Vice President of regional body
Former Vice President of ASATT is now president and he remains a coach to his sons among others who were the sole recipients of the petrotrin grant, (300,000 each) based on criteria he had a hand in setting.
Since the election of the current ASATT president in 2013, no election has been had. Accounts for 2014 and 2015 remain unaudited to date.

That's just the tip of the iceberg folks. It's not a conspiracy theory. Just plain selfishness.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:05:44 AM by Swima »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
No wonder we are down the medal count.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2016, 10:35:18 PM »
Maxg, you kids hard work paying off.