April 19, 2024, 06:30:37 AM

Author Topic: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?  (Read 20908 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 06:27:05 PM »
 ;D :rotfl:

LOOK TING...TM IS A INTERNET MAFIA.... :devil: :rotfl:

BTW what the hell is Calypso archives...Good to know there is such a thing.

Si dem bitches is visit Socawarriors..net

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 07:56:13 AM »
I was on the site..when he announced the name...he did so a few weeks before it was official.

However, I dont remember him TAKING credit for it.

I'm not saying he's not the originator...but I just don't remeber him acknowledging it.. And I remember his post well.

Do any of the other regulars...Jumbie, SH etc, remeber this.

Peace,
VB

I remember Defender's post on this! At the time we were debating a good name for our team after acknowledging that the name 'Strike Squad' was associated with our close failure in '89 and should be retired.

I think with the name of our team "Soca Warriors" in mind that we should by extension call our Supporters Club "Soca Warriors Army" or "Soca Warriors Tribe" or "Soca Warriors Crew". Lets keep the name for us Supporters close to that of the team so folks on the outside can immediately make the connection! Keep it simple and easy to follow!! 8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 07:58:30 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 08:02:23 AM »
SocaCrapo, stick to PNM politics nah, even yuh DJ business buss.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 08:19:49 AM »
Boy I busier than hell over here in London.

Playing out every Friday, Saturay & Sunday night and even some Wednesday nights between now into the New Year!

Btw I've never voted for either PNM or UNC! Left T&T when I was 18 and although I go back almost every year for Carnival have never voted in T&T, sorry to disappoint you.  :(

Take care. 8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline real-warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 09:18:59 AM »
 why would jack want to change it from soca warriors to just plaine warriors. That Soca part tells who we Trini's are not just warriors das so lame! >:(

Offline real-warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2005, 09:21:23 AM »
Check dis, Swallow had ah album in 1989 entitled "The Soca Warrior".

Tallman wat happen dere boy. Like u gettin to be some criminal :rotfl:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:44:21 AM by Tallman »

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who Came up With "Soca Warriors"?
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »
Call me ignorant, but ah really doh know, or cah remember. Cheers

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who Came up With "Soca Warriors"?
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
Call me ignorant, but ah really doh know. Cheers
Selwyn "Otto" Melville during a commentary. However this like EVERYTHING else in T&T Footbal is the subject of contention between Mr Melville and the TTFF  :-\

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »
i think it come up out the hype and effect the reggae boyz had, hence naming the team after the national music

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
Patriot, yuh lie -  yuh mean is a Bago man gih we de name - no wonder ah love it. Just like the TTFF to deny Tobago  ;D :beermug: :beermug:

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »
Call me ignorant, but ah really doh know. Cheers
Selwyn "Otto" Melville during a commentary. However this like EVERYTHING else in T&T Footbal is the subject of contention between Mr Melville and the TTFF  :-\

Wrong Patriot....Selwyn was not the originator...Defender was and Selwyn first used it on the air...they corresponded on this...Sad to see Selwyn playing greedy now.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
i think it come up out the hype and effect the reggae boyz had, hence naming the team after the national music

No it was not hype ....it was a planned conscious effort on the part of Defender and Melville. Defender asked Melville to use it on the air. If MElville says otherwise he is truly a bigger liar than Jack. Defender trold him as such because of his dishonesty in other business they conducted.

Ask Flex who gave him permission to use the name socawarriors for his website.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors name change....
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »
Forumites,
I don't have time to google right now or search the site and I promised someone the answer since Sunday.  When was the Senior Men's National team officially named "Soca Warriors"?

I was thinking in the run up to the 2006 campaign but it may be for the 2002 campaign.  Not sure.

Thanks in advance, dear forumites.

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors name change....
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 08:01:36 AM »
I remember there was a big argument in the Media pre WC 2006 about the origin of the name Soca Warriors. Various print and electronic media persons were laying claim. Ruskin Mark said that he first used the term in a newscast somewhere around 2001.

Tallman should be able to clarify.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
I remember there was a big argument in the Media pre WC 2006 about the origin of the name Soca Warriors. Various print and electronic media persons were laying claim. Ruskin Mark said that he first used the term in a newscast somewhere around 2001.

Not Ruskin Mark Selwyn Melville
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »

Ah yes youre right
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »

Ah yes youre right

9/10 I am right lol
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »
Here's a reference from October 1999 - Fuentes in the Guardian

http://www.ttfootballhistory.com/node/1476

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
I think it could have been Defender who came up with the name "Soca Warriors" as I remember us discussing names for our team on Flex's or Marc's old discussion board after the "Reggae Boyz" success in France 1998.

Does Defender still post here on this forum and what handle does he use?
Also what is Defender's real name as he should be given his official due credit for coming up with the name if it is officially confirmed that he came up with the name.

If my memory serves me right it was him (Defender) who came up with the name "Soca Warriors" when we were discussing names for our team on one of the old T&T football forums somewhere between 1998 and 1999.

Of course before "Soca Warriors" the last nickname we had for our T&T football team which stuck was the "Strike Squad".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:25:52 AM by Socapro »

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
I believe the name came from the type of football we were playing with the Strike Squad which was Kaisoca soccer. It was coined in Lancelot Layne's song. It was the rhythm in our football that Gally tried to play which was natural to the players. Just like Samba is to the Brazilians. Reggae Boyz followed us after they qualified in 1998 since as it was said several times , they were inspired by the Strike Squad's efforts. All of the Caribbean was supporting chief among them Patterson the Prime Minister, Viv Richards and other high profile persons. So they adopted
The Reggae Boyz but to tell you the truth, it was aggressive than rhythmic.
It was the song by Maximus Dan that caused the name to stick and he too said he was a little boy and cried on November 19th. In fact he opposed Jack when he wanted to drop Soca and call the team Warriors after  we qualified with the Dutch coach and it was strongly resisted by all and sundry.  But to be honest there is no rhythm in our football . Mass confusion they don't know what they playing.
Selwyn Melville tried to patent the name a few years ago  trying to make money and Gally went to the newspapers and spoke about the
 origin. After which he lambasted Gally on his Programme but he got exposed and dropped his legal battle after it. I think Gally's point was that no one can own what belonged to the people and he coined it because the style was passed down to him through the years which he developed by learning from all the great players who preceded him.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Who cares, the name Soca Warriors is garbage, everyone beats the Soca Warriors.

Not a name to be boasting about.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »
Well we were talking about the origin. But agreed they playing neither soca or are they warriors. When we start to like we self we go look like we self

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
  But to be honest there is no rhythm in our football . Mass confusion they don't know what they playing.

Kind of like soca music these days??  :-\ ;)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
  But to be honest there is no rhythm in our football . Mass confusion they don't know what they playing.

Kind of like soca music these days??  :-\ ;)
You are on de button, E-man!

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »
And all yuh want Beenhakker ! We go be defending right through! Playing Not to  lose !

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »
And all yuh want Beenhakker ! We go be defending right through! Playing Not to  lose !

good!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »

good!

All of a sudden not losing is a bad ting.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »

good!

All of a sudden not losing is a bad ting.

Ent. We ain't winning anyway
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2016, 04:41:58 AM »
TTFA, Melville reach agreement on ‘Soca Warriors’ name ownership.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Sports commentator Selwyn Melville may soon be smiling all the way to the bank after the board of the T&T Football Association (TTFA) agreed he was the one who coined the phrase “Soca Warriors.”

It will also bring an end to years of battle between the parties, dating back to 2005, during the qualifiers for the 2006 FIFA World Cup that was held in Germany.

Melville, when contacted yesterday, confirmed he met with board members—second vice president Joanne Salazar, first vice president Ewing Davis, Tobago Football Association (TFA) president Anthony Moore and assistant general secretary Michelle Lynch among others, on May 2, at the office of the TTFA, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, where an agreement was reached on the matter.

The meeting concluded with both parties agreeing that the football association, which is being led by David John-Williams, will contact Melville at another date.

Melville refused to comment on how much he would like to receive for the “Soca Warriors” name, but it is understood the association has since been considering two options of settlement.

The first includes going through the route of Intellectual Property Right (IPR), which among others, would enable it to create a partnership with Melville for the use of the “Soca Warriors” name in the future. The other, according to the board member, could see the embattled football association paying out Melville for his work.

The sports commentator said he has had to endure a period of hardship from former special adviser to the then T&T Football Federation (TTFF) Jack Warner, who refused to acknowledge him as the one who coined the phrase. Later, he was also pulled off a radio station and banned from commentary as the station management also did not accept him as the one who came up with the phrase, although it had been registered.

He praised the current football administration, saying: “After dealing with the Jack Warner administration and seeing how the Raymond Tim Kee-led administration failed to honour its promises, I felt that the best chance of this reaching a resolution had to be from the present administration. To be honest, the mere fact that they have met with me is a positive sign,” Melville said yesterday.

A few years ago Melville brought down 2,000 Soca Warriors brand watches, which he explained was to send a message that the “Soca Warriors” brand had belonged to him and will soon be in his sports store. They were given out, free of charge, to students who sat the Common Entrance then, but this stopped to allow the matter to be resolved.

“I didn’t want to be bringing in items and the matter was still unsure,” Melville said.

He added: “Before I can bring in anything it would depend on the decision of the TTFA. If they decide to create a partnership with me then both parties will have to sit down and agree on what percentage both will get and what the brand will look like. On the other hand, if they decide to pay me off, then it will be all theirs, or they can decide not to accept the ‘Soca Warriors’ brand and do some rebranding of their own,” he pointed out.

He ended by saying: “Whichever way it goes I will still be a happy man, in the context of the matter finally coming to an end after so long.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
This matter was still going on. My word

1]; } ?>