March 28, 2024, 05:42:25 PM

Author Topic: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?  (Read 20785 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Melville declares war on TTFA
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2016, 03:56:23 AM »
Melville declares war on TTFA
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

Sports commentator Selwyn Melville has declared war on the T&T Football Association. The move follows a decision by the Association to file for  trademark in the United States and Europe for the ownership of the ‘Soca Warriors’ brand.

The proceedings began under the Raymond Tim Kee-led football association but is being followed up by the TTFA, currently headed by David John-Williams. Yesterday calls to Tim Kee’s phone went unanswered while Joanne Salazar, third vice president of the present administration, did not respond to calls and voice messages.

Melville has since initiated legal action against the TTFA, confirming his legal team has written to the Association and is awaiting a response.

The Guardian understands the matter is currently logged at the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) here in Trinidad but the IPO office is unable to give trademark to any party until the local courts decide on ownership.

Melville has been in a battle with the Association over the years, dating back to the Jack Warner era over the ownership of the ‘Soca Warriors’ name, which he claimed, was coined by him. John-Williams appointed a committee to meet with Melville and it was reported that the Association was considering either buying him out or rebranding.

Talks broke down after Melville reportedly requested a whopping $30 million for the use of the name.

In a release yesterday, Melville revealed that in June, the TTFA got an extension on their trademark request in the US as they needed to provide the authority with certain information. He noted the presentation to the US Trademark office was filled with information designed to open doors to Europe, and hinges particularly on their Trademark Proposal in the US.

Melville explained the European Application was already filed under the Tim Kee administration with hope that there will be benefits, if it succeeds under the present administration.

He noted it is also rumoured that FIFA had an arrangement with the Tim Kee-led administration to conduct a pilot project with merchandising Soca Warriors products. He said this was being done on the basis that the TTFA owned the brand and would  introduce it in other countries. FIFA, he said, injected US$800,000 towards the project.

According to Melville, the world governing body for football later discovered that the brand did not belong to the TTFA and cancelled the investment. 

He told the Guardian he felt betrayed, as the John-Williams led administration pretended to communicate with him under the disguise of a possible settlement, but had ulterior motives.

He is calling on Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, President Anthony Carmona, Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Daryl Smith and Minister of Legal Affairs Stuart Young to intervene.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2016, 07:57:25 AM »
Talks broke down after Melville reportedly requested a whopping $30 million for the use of the name.

:o

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »

:o

Of course talks broke down. He dreaming in Technicolor. I would walk away too and rebrand like Tim-Kee was going to do. The better option would be to negotiate his licensing fee as a percentage of the total sales. And there is absolutely no need for the President, Prime Minister or anybody else to intervene.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
So you guys know how much the Soca Warriors name is worth from merchandising alone?
"If you think education is expensive try ignorance."

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
So you guys know how much the Soca Warriors name is worth from merchandising alone?

Actually or potentially?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
I luv meh team. Luv the name. But I think the name might be a "likkle too follow fashion".. The name came after the Jamaicans became the Reggae Boyz. If the Jamaicans drop Reggae Boyz, I guarantee we would do the same.

My suggestion.. TNT DYNAMITE!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
I luv meh team. Luv the name. But I think the name might be a "likkle too follow fashion".. The name came after the Jamaicans became the Reggae Boyz. If the Jamaicans drop Reggae Boyz, I guarantee we would do the same.

Even if is so, what is de big deal? De amount of national team nicknames that have an animal in it or a colour, or have Boys at de end. Ent too much ah dem names have originality. Soca Warriors been in use in excess of 15 years. Anyway, Trinidad and Tobago = Bacchanal Right Through.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2016, 10:35:53 AM »

Even if is so, what is de big deal? De amount of national team nicknames that have an animal in it or a colour, or have Boys at de end. Ent too much ah dem names have originality. Soca Warriors been in use in excess of 15 years. Anyway, Trinidad and Tobago = Bacchanal Right Through.

TM, yuh hit de nail on de head, dais we new name

"de bacchanalists"
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »

You the only one thinking about Jamaica Reggae Boyz name when 'Soca Warriors' name is mentioned. the 'Soca Warriors' name has evolved into something sentimental and close to the T&T public. This name evokes pride like our national motto, we take pride in the 'Soca Warriors' name. You do not feel the same so you just want to ups one day and call to change it? and change it to some chupid 'dynamite' name? yuh think this is some American basketball club chupidness? steupse

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »

You the only one thinking about Jamaica Reggae Boyz name when 'Soca Warriors' name is mentioned. the 'Soca Warriors' name has evolved into something sentimental and close to the T&T public. This name evokes pride like our national motto, we take pride in the 'Soca Warriors' name. You do not feel the same so you just want to ups one day and call to change it? and change it to some chupid 'dynamite' name? yuh think this is some American basketball club chupidness? steupse

I would think the same could be said re the change from Strike Squad to Soca Warriors.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »

TM, yuh hit de nail on de head, dais we new name

"de bacchanalists"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lBFKar0HX6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lBFKar0HX6c</a>

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

I would think the same could be said re the change from Strike Squad to Soca Warriors.

How so? Not seeing the comparison.  Soca Warriors doesn't sound like a cliche american sports franchise name.  It is rooted in our culture.  How is T&T dynamite symbolic of anything culturally related to T&T?

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
If it were me I would have negotiated a revenue sharing arrangement. You are talking about a lifetime and generational revenue stream that could be worth even more than that negotiated figure.

Alternatively it could be less too but i think "Soca Warriors" moniker is here to stay for all time so the brand and revenue stream will fluctuate but never cease.

Even if he wanted a lil upfront commission he could have negotiated for example around 2 million upfront and settle on a 5% of revenue (not profits) annually. That contract could be handed down to his children and grandchildren or any aspect of his estate.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2016, 12:28:46 PM »

How so? Not seeing the comparison.  Soca Warriors doesn't sound like a cliche american sports franchise name.  It is rooted in our culture.  How is T&T dynamite symbolic of anything culturally related to T&T?

I feel that the following sentiment would not have been out of place at the time of the name change to Soca Warriors from Strike Squad.
the 'Strike Squad' name has evolved into something sentimental and close to the T&T public. This name evokes pride like our national motto, we take pride in the 'Strike Squad' name. You do not feel the same so you just want to ups one day and call to change it?

And, for the record, I don't like the name T&T Dynamite.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:31:51 PM by Mose »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
If it were me I would have negotiated a revenue sharing arrangement. You are talking about a lifetime and generational revenue stream that could be worth even more than that negotiated figure.

Alternatively it could be less too but i think "Soca Warriors" moniker is here to stay for all time so the brand and revenue stream will fluctuate but never cease.

Even if he wanted a lil upfront commission he could have negotiated for example around 2 million upfront and settle on a 5% of revenue (not profits) annually. That contract could be handed down to his children and grandchildren or any aspect of his estate.

As stated earlier, I believe that would have been the better option. Asking for a 30 million upfront fee is asking TTFA to make a HUGE bet on what the earnings would end up being. Also, it could take them years to recoup that kind of money and TTFA doesn't have that kind of time or that kind of money.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2016, 09:33:12 AM »
Melville is a puss.

Nobody really know where de name came from.

socawarriors.net have it registered, they should pay Flex and Tallest.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »
WATCH: Selwyn Melville sues the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association over the use of the Soca Warriors name.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IHWWf3CJoq8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IHWWf3CJoq8</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2016, 09:29:41 PM »
WATCH: Selwyn Melville sues the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association over the use of the Soca Warriors name.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IHWWf3CJoq8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IHWWf3CJoq8</a>

So what happen to Defender the man who came up with the name "Soca Warriors" and encouraged Selwyn Melville to first use it on air during a broadcast back in 2001?
I believe Defender and Selwyn Melville were once business partners.
I hope Selwyn Melville planning to give Defender his cut!

PS:
Also according to that video report above, Selwyn Melville first used the name Soca Warriors in a newspaper article in 2009!!! That has to be erroneous reporting as the name "Soca Warriors" was well established by 2006 when we went to the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany. I think Maximus Dan's "Fighter" anthem promoting the "Soca Warriors" name came out in 2005.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:43:20 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:53 PM »
The game against Colombia was in 1999.

At the end of the day nobody actually have the patent?

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2016, 11:46:28 PM »
well if it is registered as Soca Warriors which is two words, why not just go with Socawarriors one word, and I offer this free to ttfa...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 05:18:37 AM »
At the end of the day nobody actually have the patent?

Trademark.

well if it is registered as Soca Warriors which is two words, why not just go with Socawarriors one word, and I offer this free to ttfa...

Doesn't make a difference.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2016, 05:43:49 AM »
Why Selwyn Melville doh hull he mudda corn hucks.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:01:47 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2016, 06:02:53 AM »
I went looking in old post to try and find when I name the national team socawarriors, or did I prefer calypsokings, or was it ,parang Masters..whatever, I saw this post by uprising
With Rojas struggling do we think that Sancho can fill the void at left back?  Or even play Sancho central and push Avery out on the left?  They really need to sure up that d because alot of our goals conceded have been 'soft'.

Sounds like Yorke is playing at his best (at this point in his career, not a youth anymore). I truly hope that this and other forums helps to put people in the seats, we need to pack stadiums the way we used to and really get behind this team.  Who else is there to back?? Seriously?!  Football has to be a closer second to liming and fete in our lives/culture.  National pride and support of our teams and athletes is a sure antidote to de madness going on with the crime scene in Trini. 

I have been outside for 15yrs now and everyday I studying how and when I will move back HOME, but I cyar convince my wife (american...ah know ah know) dat is a solid move when the murder rate is as it is.  Not to mention kidnapping and drugs etc etc etc... so please Lord let this team do something, to help my argument that life in TT is what it used to be..ah tired ah de cold (Bush is ah madman!!!!!)

Bush must be singing kool moe dee "how yuh like me now" in a Texan accent...contact

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
there are cases where claiming ownership by trademark registration has been denied by law based on the fact that SOCA has a deep cultural meaning to the people of tnt and intellectual property law is designed to protect in such matters...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Melville tells TTFA cease patent application abroad
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2016, 05:08:58 AM »
Melville tells TTFA cease patent application abroad
T&T Newsday

NOTED local sports broadcaster and businessman Selwyn Melville, through his attorney Egon Embrack, has called on the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), and its president David John-Williams, to “immediately instruct your foreign agents to formally discontinue all foreign prosecutions/ applications of the subject trademark and provide us with proof of same.”

This is regarding the use of the subject trademark Soca Warriors, which was allegedly coined by Melville in 1998. According to a pre-action protocol letter which was issued to the TT FA and its president on Monday (a copy of which was obtained by Newsday yesterday), “we (the attorneys) became aware that the TT FA, in bad faith, had engaged foreign agents to apply for and prosecute the subject trademark Soca Warriors, both before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the European Intellectual Property Office.” The letter also made mention of the fact that, “in 2007, the Controller of the Trinidad and Tobago Intellectual Property Office (TT IPO) refused Trademark Applications Nos 36696 and 37173 in the names of Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation and our client, respectively under Section 14(3) of the Trade Marks Act until the rights of the Parties have been determined by the Court.”

Accusing the TT FA of acting in bad faith, “we (the attorneys) think it only prudent that the Parties take the one and proper course of action namely that our client, the originator of the mark, register the name and then arrange with the TT FA for use of the name by assignment or licensing agreement.”

The attorneys have given the TT FA 28 days to acknowledge receipt and respond to the pre-action protocol letter, or face legal proceedings.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:20 PM »
Maybe he will sue Benjai next for using the Soca Warriors name in this new song. Yuh know how some people want ah piece in every pie  :)

https://www.facebook.com/SocaTv/posts/1149111685163691

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
  yuh see Sell-win when yuh open yuh mouth an $30 million jump out, things changed, you cannot sell (soca) what you do not own,

Ras Shorty I (who coined Soca) is singing "Watch out my children", lets hope you don't end up in court saying, is it to late now to say

"Sorry", Bieber's mega soca hit which jus broke all records almost 2 billion youtube views...

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »
Greetings Forumuites,

For the legal minds on here, can any or us or other individuals can be fined for use of the term "Socawarriors" to refer to our national football team?

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »
Greetings Forumuites,

For the legal minds on here, can any or us or other individuals can be fined for use of the term "Socawarriors" to refer to our national football team?

Disclaimer: I'm not a legal mind, just a sometimes logical speculator.

Opinion: We can't be fined for using the term to refer to the team.

Reasoning:
  • I believe that ownership of the name has not been established, so no one could fine us for using it
  • Even if ownership was established, us as members of the public using the name to refer to the team would I believe be considered "fair use".
  • The process is not as simple as "you said that name so you get a fine".

The legal minds can go into the details.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
It matters not what the TTFF do and what the clown Selwyn do,because THOUSANDS of T&T football fans refer to the national team as the SOCA WARRIORS and the people will continue to dictate the name of the team on the ground

http://tinyurl.com/hez22fn

1]; } ?>