April 16, 2024, 03:20:29 AM

Author Topic: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?  (Read 20882 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: What is the origin of the Soca Warriors nickname?
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »
Greetings Forumuites,

For the legal minds on here, can any or us or other individuals can be fined for use of the term "Socawarriors" to refer to our national football team?

More logic: I don't think you can be fined for using the term, that's like telling me I can be sued by Nike for saying "Just Do It" in conversation. I doubt you can even levy on a media house for using the term in its reporting. I will defer to those in the know on that one.

Logically it MAY imply that you can be sued for using the term FOR PROFIT. Meaning re-using the term for advertising and/or merchandising purposes, or any kind of commercial use like songs or movies.

I am interested to see if he attempts to take action on this parent website. I don't see any real ad space sales on www.socawarriors.net so his legal team may determine that it may not be commercially viable.

I caught a snippet of DJW on radio about this. Apparently the FA's legal team's advice was to buy the name outright, and as a result Selwyn Mellville legal team put that price tag of 30 million on the outright sale. I think that is where it stands to date, FA want to go in another direction and has board approval to do so but DJW still saying the door is still open to negotiate, he is saying that Mellville has not made another approach subsequent to the pre action letter.

A whole bunch of foolishness on both sides.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
It matters not what the TTFF do and what the clown Selwyn do,because THOUSANDS of T&T football fans refer to the national team as the SOCA WARRIORS and the people will continue to dictate the name of the team on the ground

http://tinyurl.com/hez22fn

If that's the case why doesn't Melville get the copyright and start selling merchandise and make sure the name stays despite any rebranding effort?
And he could go so far as using "Trinidad & Tobago Football" and other generic references.
He wouldn't be able to partner with a big name manufacturer but he could probably pull off something small. That could be the counter to DJW rebranding threat where he gauging public opinion and reaction.

In the end the income and any chance of rebranding success is tied to the senior men's team results which is up and down so best they just go back to the table and work out a revenue sharing model. Both sides probably far over estimating revenues on this to be honest and making it too big a deal.

If your lawyers tell you back down on the copyright application then you all but conceding he has a legitimate case.
Get it over with already.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2022, 08:17:46 PM »
Melville receives trademark certificate for Soca Warriors name
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

VETERAN Trinidad and Tobago sports broadcaster Selwyn Melville has received the trademark certificate for the term Soca Warriors, which is the nickname for the TT men's football team.

In 1998, Melville coined the nickname Soca Warriors while covering a T&T men's team encounter against El Salvador in the United States. The team were called Soca Warriors during their successful 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign, with soca artiste Maximus Dan (now MX Prime) releasing a song called Fighter, which was dedicated to the squad.

Since 2005, Melville has been in a legal battle with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (now T&T Football Association) concerning the ownership of the nickname.

On Tuesday, Melville got the certificate for the Soca Warriors term at the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) in Port of Spain.

According to Melville, "There is no issue again with the matter being settled. We (himself and his legal team) can have conversations with the Football Association to settle this matter. We're not in any fight with anyone, we want to sit at the table and see what could be done."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2023, 01:22:20 AM »
Selwyn Melville to bring German football team to Tobago.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FOOTBALL enthusiast and broadcaster Selwyn Melville is planning a match between a Germany women’s football team and a Tobago women’s XI which will not only give the footballers exposure, but it will help put Tobago on the map. The match is expected to be played in November.

Melville, who has decades of experience in sports coverage, is Tobagonian.

Tobago has produced several of T&T’s women’s footballers including Kennya Cordner, Asha James and the Forbes sisters – Karyn and Kimika.

“We are getting support from Germany for a German women’s football team to visit and play a game in Tobago,” Melville said.

“We are yet to get the full approval from the Tobago Football Association, but there is a meeting that is coming up on Thursday. We are getting the word out there early and what is scheduled to come and the interest has been very high from a number of people who see it as a great initiative for Tobago.”

Melville said the Germany XI will be made up of many players who recently retired so they are expected to be a tough unit.

The German team will record their experience which will help promote Tobago.

“They have decided that they are going to bring a television crew…to send the game live back to Germany and other places in Europe that may have interest in what is going to happen. In addition to that they are going to do a documentary on Tobago…it is not just a game, but the tourism aspect.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>