April 27, 2024, 05:00:58 AM

Author Topic: Euro 2008 Tournament Observations  (Read 2957 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Euro 2008 Tournament Observations
« on: June 21, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
- Momentum is a hell of a thing. All the teams who won out their first 2 games and rested their players in the last group fixture have so far been knocked out. The teams that have played 3 games on the trot fighting for qualification and bonding as units are kicking on.

- The willingness to attack shown by almost all of the teams has been a joy.

- My individual revelations of the tournament so far... Arshavin, Arda Turan, Tuncay, Pavlyuchenko, Modric, Olic.

- Is this the best Euro tournament ever?

- Is the Euro Championships a better tournament than the World Cup?

- Does anyone miss England?  Really?

Feel free to add some more..

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008 Tournament Observations
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
euro is by far more entertaining than the world cup . fact.

euro 2000 was ah bomb but like 2008 threatening to surpass it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 05:32:55 PM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
- Momentum is a hell of a thing. All the teams who won out their first 2 games and rested their players in the last group fixture have so far been knocked out. The teams that have played 3 games on the trot fighting for qualification and bonding as units are kicking on.

- My individual revelations of the tournament so far... Arshavin, Arda Turan, Tuncay, Pavlyuchenko, Modric, Olic.

Only the English
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 06:01:15 PM »
somehow it does seem like a bigger party than the WC cause it have more Euro teams involved maybe.
also ah does cant wait for somebody to score ah goal to then hear the stadium rocking to that techno beats soundtrack.

my individual revelations for the tournament were Arda Turan,Pavluchenko and Senna(never really impressed me prior).
players who stepped it up a notch were Demirel,Tuncay, Srna, Corluka,Van Brochhorst, Ooijer and Schweinsteiger.
biggest dissapoinments were Gomez, Toni and the French attack.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 06:02:17 PM »
england wouldnt hav lasted in this euros..

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
somehow it does seem like a bigger party than the WC cause it have more Euro teams involved maybe.
also ah does cant wait for somebody to score ah goal to then hear the stadium rocking to that techno beats soundtrack.

my individual revelations for the tournament were Arda Turan,Pavluchenko and Senna(never really impressed me prior).
players who stepped it up a notch were Demirel,Tuncay, Srna, Corluka,Van Brochhorst, Ooijer and Schweinsteiger.
biggest dissapoinments were Gomez, Toni and the French attack and C. RONALDO

Fix it for you.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 06:51:52 PM »
Euros has a higher quality football on the whole. I love my country but the CONCACAF and AFC just can't compete with the quality. CAF brings some flair but not enough substance, only CONMEBOL has the sides to consistently compete with UEFA, and only a handful. I think while the play on the field is better in the Euros, the diversity in fans etc is lesser than the world cup for obvious reasons. But europe is diverse enough that its still pretty good. But the world cup is not the 32 best teams in the world, it's 32 of the best teams from around the world. Big difference.

Only english people miss england, I don't think the tournament did at all.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks 4 fixin it d man left out d best player in d world. England whoooooooooooo
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »
interesting to see a turk playing for switzerland, a brazillian playing for turkey, a spanish and two polish playing for germany (along with a brazillian). like national teams "frenchifying" their teams a little more.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
So u c is not only d JA crew dat sendin 4 Britz everybody lookin 2 find a best player some way on planet earth
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
interesting to see a turk playing for switzerland, a brazillian playing for turkey, a spanish and two polish playing for germany (along with a brazillian). like national teams "frenchifying" their teams a little more.
Well the Gomez has a German mother and I believe is German by birth, so I wouldn't count that one.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »
So u c is not only d JA crew dat sendin 4 Britz everybody lookin 2 find a best player some way on planet earth

I never understood why people give JA so much flak for trying to recruit players of Jamaican heritage for their squad. We did the same thing before the 2006 world cup, just we didn't keep half of the prospects. Look how important Birchall ended up being for our team. Let's not forget Ricky Shakes and Tony Warner's short stints against iceland.

When you have a small pipe filling up your pool, nuttin wrong with borrowing a couple buckets from your neighbour.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
Euros has a higher quality football on the whole. I love my country but the CONCACAF and AFC just can't compete with the quality. CAF brings some flair but not enough substance, only CONMEBOL has the sides to consistently compete with UEFA, and only a handful. I think while the play on the field is better in the Euros, the diversity in fans etc is lesser than the world cup for obvious reasons. But europe is diverse enough that its still pretty good. But the world cup is not the 32 best teams in the world, it's 32 of the best teams from around the world. Big difference.

Only english people miss england, I don't think the tournament did at all.

I never understood why people give JA so much flak for trying to recruit players of Jamaican heritage for their squad. We did the same thing before the 2006 world cup, just we didn't keep half of the prospects. Look how important Birchall ended up being for our team. Let's not forget Ricky Shakes and Tony Warner's short stints against iceland.

When you have a small pipe filling up your pool, nuttin wrong with borrowing a couple buckets from your neighbour.

Two excellent posts... indeed Euro seems more entertaining than the WC because undoubtedly the quality is higher.  Not only is the quality higher but the intensity of the individual matchups is greater... familiarity breeds contempt as they say, these nations, these teams...these players are intimately familiar with each other and desperate to win not just for hardware, but perhaps more importantly for them, for bragging rights over their neighbors.  That everyone is so good...as mentioned, only ratchets up the entertainment factor.

As for the second comment, while I don't want to see a man from Grande who sweating and training hard all thru qualifying lose his spot to some high-falutin Johnny-come-lately with a freshly-minted Trini passport, at the end of the day you want your best eligible players to represent you... if they'r eligible they should be in the pool.  Feel free to construe 'eligible' as you wish.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
nice football so far sweet knock going on..TT team should watch all these games ovver and over
anybody know the youthman on the left for Croatia, believ ehe first start was vs germany? Raketic???
wicked player.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »
All teams does do it but when u go 2 England 4 a Under 20 player tells me that u eh have no plan 2 develop local players. Is not like France where Vierra and dem livin France. D JFA does go post poster on lampost and invite players 2 come. We neva utilize it 2 any great extend yeah Birchall was and is needed but we eh goin far and wide lookin 4 people who could represent RWB

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 09:35:19 PM »
Bess player so far for me is David Villa.  Ballack a close second.  

Revelation of the tournament for me is Pavluchenko...de Russian Stern John.  Runner up for me would be Orlando Engelaar.  Never knew about him before but he was quite impressive anchoring the Dutch midfield.

Most disappointing player thus far? Luca Toni.  Runner up...Karim Benzema...altho Domenech is his coach and that's a serious handicap to overcome.

Performed as expected....Podoloski, Arshavin, Wesley Sjneider (excellent tournament from him...Hollands best player), Ibrahimovic, Kranjcar (another great tournament....hope Arsenal get him), Ronaldo (over hyped) and the entire French team.

The "Huh aka WTF?" Factor...Hatem Ben Arfa.  Yuh have a talent like dat and doh even pick him in de squad but yuh pickin man like Samri?  But as ah say...is Domenech yuh dealin wit.  Oh well....     Runner up....Quaresma.  Yuh down 3-1 in a knockout game and yuh doh bring on arguably yuh 2nd most dangerous weapon?  Big Phil deserve to get licks.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 10:00:26 PM »

I want to add Sionko from chech republic to dat list... as well as Ballack... After de cobeaux he did get for de early part of de EPL he come and Marshall de Germans beautifully.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »
Bess player so far for me is David Villa.  Ballack a close second. 

Revelation of the tournament for me is Pavluchenko...de Russian Stern John.  Runner up for me would be Orlando Engelaar.  Never knew about him before but he was quite impressive anchoring the Dutch midfield.

Most disappointing player thus far? Luca Toni.  Runner up...Karim Benzema...altho Domenech is his coach and that's a serious handicap to overcome.

Performed as expected....Podoloski, Arshavin, Wesley Sjneider (excellent tournament from him...Hollands best player), Ibrahimovic, Kranjcar (another great tournament....hope Arsenal get him), Ronaldo (over hyped) and the entire French team.

The "Huh aka WTF?" Factor...Hatem Ben Arfa.  Yuh have a talent like dat and doh even pick him in de squad but yuh pickin man like Samri?  But as ah say...is Domenech yuh dealin wit.  Oh well....     Runner up....Quaresma.  Yuh down 3-1 in a knockout game and yuh doh bring on arguably yuh 2nd most dangerous weapon?  Big Phil deserve to get licks.

Pavluychenko de russian Stern John..   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

yeah boy that fellah have to throw way 10 before he buss de net, but he always there for the chances.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
Bess player so far for me is David Villa.  Ballack a close second.  

Schweinsteiger must be on this list somewhere... invaluable service to Der Mannschaft.  Had a hand in virtually every goal they scored this tournament, or so it seems...his contributions have been that valuable and that timely.  Seems he does enough during Bundesliga play to merit inclusion in the national pool (but no starboy play), then once on the field for the national team does everything necessary to validate his selection.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »
So hear the latest nuh..
Turkey have 14 available players for the game against Germany.

With only 3 substitues, the coach is considering using the backup goalkeeper as a substitute player if required.  :rotfl:

Turkey can't afford to talk tactics for semifinal

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8274134/Turkey-can't-afford-to-talk-tactics-for-semifinal

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Talking about tactics for Wednesday's European Championship semifinal against Germany has become a luxury that Turkey can't afford.

With as many as nine players set to miss the match to injury or suspension, Turkey coach Fatih Terim will have to adapt a simple strategy of "just go out and play" for its reshuffled lineup.

With only 14 members of his 23-man squad available, Terim won't have a lot of choice when it comes to his starting lineup, simply because alternatives are lacking with just two outfield players and one goalkeeper on the bench.

"Missing so many players with injuries and suspensions is very hard for the team," Turkey forward Semih Senturk said Monday, shortly before the team's closed training session at the Franz Horr Stadium. "I am sure every new player coming up will do his utmost for the team."

Senturk refused to speak about who will be playing which position, with some players likely to be forced into a different spot than their usual one. Terim jokingly said Sunday that he might even consider to bring third-choice keeper Tolga Zengin as a center forward.

"The coach decides who will play in which position and I am sure he'll make the right decisions," Senturk said. "He is doing a great job under these circumstances. When it comes to tactics and motivation, he's the best coach I've ever worked with."

Turkey will be without goalkeeper Volkan Demirel, defender Emre Asik and midfielders Tuncay Sanli and Arda Turan, who are banned for their country's first European Championship semifinal but would be available again if Turkey reaches the final.

Injured defender Emre Gungor (calf) and central striker Nihat Kahveci (thigh) have been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, while defender Servet Cetin (hip and knee) and midfielders Tumer Metin (groin) and Emre Belozoglu (groin) were all still highly doubtful for the Germany game.

Emre was back in training Monday, but only managed some light exercise apart from the group.

"We have to deal with it, but we are still not afraid of any opponent," defender Gokhan Zan said. "Of course, Germany is favorite to beat us because they always do better and better when a tournament advances. We must rely on the same courageous football that has brought us this far."

"Our first goal was reaching the quarterfinals. But now we've come this far, the semifinals are not enough. We want more," Zan said.

Senturk came on as a substitute on Friday to score Turkey's equalizer in the closing seconds of extra time to earn a penalty shootout in the quarterfinal against Croatia. With Kahveci out, Senturk looks a certain starter against Germany.

"That goal gave the whole team a lot of confidence," Senturk said. "But in the end, it's not important who scores the goals. It only matters that you win matches. We are determined to do that against Germany as well. I think they will be very cautious on Wednesday."

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 12:54:26 PM »

I honestly have not missed them and their legion of drunken unruly fans.

It was a pleasure to watch a tournament without having to hear about Beckham and he shit along with if Gerrard and Lampard could play in the midfield together. Not to mention, having to take the incessant referrals to the 66 WC winning team.

Més que un club.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 01:31:21 PM »
For me not the best ever Euro. I will give 96 and 2000 the nood over this tournament.

as for the players how yuh leave out Altintop & Senna  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
For me not the best ever Euro. I will give 96 and 2000 the nood over this tournament.

as for the players how yuh leave out Altintop & Senna  ;D

always knew a whole lot about Senna and Altintop (who still eh fulfill his potential yet imo).

the revelations for me were the players who I didnt know too much about before but had a breakthrough tourney.

I put Tuncay in that list because of the way he carry that whole side in those last couple games. The man playing no particular position, just showing up all over the pitch like a small goal champion.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
Brazil must be crying to lose Pepe, Deco and Senna...all three of who could walk on the Brazilian national team right now. wid ease.

Fans don't matter that much anymore. FIFA would never have held such a large tournament in stadia that could only hold 20-30,000 a couple of decades ago. But TV money has rendered gate receipts irrelevant. Fans are pretty much only needed to make a spectacle and provide atmosphere and color. You no longer need 50-75,000 seaters to host the Euros, WC, CL or UEFA Cup

4-4-3 has evolved into 4-3-2-1 - the only system where coaches have admitted that the strikers aren't really expected to score during the run of play. Nuno Gomes, Ruud VN, even Klose against Portugal (where Mario Gomez was dropped and the Germans matched the Portuguese like for like) are deployed to be a nuisance while the two forwards behind them are supposed to move into space and provide firepower. It's hard graft being a striker in this position..you aren't even expected to see the ball that much and you need to feed off scraps. very different from the lone striker as target man. Funny...the striker as decoy...that is the latest evolution of the game

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 04:41:43 PM »
Was in cyber space wilderness the last 4 - 5 days....enjoyed reading dis....ah eh want to bring up back the Russia - Holland thread so ah goh say it here....de tournament over for me since Saturday.. :'(
May the best team win.....and may that be Russia... :devil: ;D

Dem flecking Russians boy...wheeeyyy!!!...ah still reeling from the blows.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »

I have a problem with Modric being named a revelation...he name get real call in d press and by his own coach...but he had like a good 45 minutes in one game...nothing else. I will watch closely to watch him justify that price Tottenham pay, in that EPL he will have to improve a bit.
Olic also....a hard worker...but nothing special...cant see him scorin goals regular for any team.

Some dissapointments for me are Lahm, Zambrotta, Sergio Ramos, Toulalan (heard alot of him...didnt c anything).bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

1]; } ?>