March 18, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Author Topic: Anton Corneal Thread  (Read 54134 times)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anton Corneal
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
the last three posters (et al) spot friggin on...wha is all dis touchy-feely shyte bout he's ah cool fella, blah, blah, blah...how cool fella come een dat?!?!?!

The man record speaks for itself, steups!!!!!

As Weary mention ent the ipod stupidness was wid ah youth team dat collect bout 39 goal in 3 games?!?!? And church-mouse style after the tournament??
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
All I have to say bout this fella is d ipod comment. he eh ready so go sell yuh cabbage and give football a rest.

Could be lucrative  :P:

Jack further told the media that one source of his income was from pumpkin and cucumber sales. "At one time, before I started building on the land I used to plant pumpkin and cucumber on that land, so while it is a source of income, it's not the only source," he said.

He admitted that at one time when he worked at the THA it was difficult to build his home but explained: "That changed when I got a job as a project manager with a company in Trinidad."

Speaking elatedly about his new home, Jack, a father of two daughters, one of whom is studying medicine while the other is pursuing business studies, said his home was not built in the traditional square but circular style.

"It has four bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, library, swimming pool and gazebo. I make no apology for building my family a nice home," he said.

Jack said like most Tobagonians, he plants all his seasonings, and vegetables adding, "I plant every banana and every dasheen that I eat...My favorite meal is dasheen and salt fish or steamed fish. "I am not a steak and lobster kind of person. I make no apology for that. I have two children, two girls, and whenever they come home on weekends, they work in the family businesses."

Jack in a bid to further justify his elaborate abode stressed his point by saying "As I said, I have a job as project manager, I work hard that is how my family live, we all help each other. I do not want to call the names of the companies for which I work."

http://tobagojustice.blogspot.com/2012/12/ashworth-jack-muti-million-house.html

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
Agreed . It is not whether he is a  Cool guy or not. Is he up to the job that he is pretending to do? He likes football and has chosen as a career but there must be something he could do better than his track record shows. Getting easy  assignments to observe internationally renowned coaches does not qualify him either!  I just not sure where his strength is and I have been observing him for more than 20 years!

truetrini

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
Me eh know de man all good like dat but having met him a few times, he really seems like a very nice fella.....having watched his teams play a few times well, he seems like a poor coach.

Well he did take a team or two from T&T to certain places, how many locals can lay claim to such a feat?

I want us to realistically put Anton's achievements or lack of same to the test...please use other local examples so I can have a yard stick and measure.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »
Well he did take a team or two from T&T to certain places, how many locals can lay claim to such a feat?

I want us to realistically put Anton's achievements or lack of same to the test...please use other local examples so I can have a yard stick and measure.

Where did he take them ?

And if he get unlimited chances off course oneday he will archieve something.

Give me a million chances to nah.

Dont get fooled by Anton smooth talking bro, he could real talk.

Read this.

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/8799-prodigal-son-to-assist-soca-warriors.html

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
The same player Anton refuse to pick when he was under 20 coach was de same player who came back and kicked T&T out of the senior world cup where Anton was coach, not assistant to Pfister but coach, Phister was just a face.

Thank you Ricky Shakes for exposing the man with a thousand jobs including selling lettuce in the market.

Does the TTFF even have job applications or is it a family business.
 ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:49:58 AM by Sando »

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »
Sam that article is on point, very analytic and objective! I hope Tim Kee does not get sucked in with the ole talk and biased attitude! If he does standards would remain mediocre. This guy is very normal but feels he can talk his way through . Only a fool will take him seriously!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Anton Corneal loves the game.
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
Anton Corneal loves the game but the game dont love him.

I dont care how qualify you are, if you can't coach, yuh cant, simple as that.

Anybody could pay they money and go to all de seminars and all de classroom to get certified, you dont need a skill for that.

Now, he might be a nice fella, I eh know.

In this day and age our teams plays a poor brand of football.

1. We continue to use a poor formations or we not using the formation to suit the oppositions.

2. We using players out of position.

3. We never fit. We players falling down like they eat corn curls for dinner.

4. We cant defend a lead if we score first.

5. We using one striker who cannot play that role.

6. The team playing with no urgency and this was suppose to be a game of our lives.

7. Coach fail to make adjustments to fill the holes. Panama keep using the central midfield to attack and we just leaving them or failing to adjust.

8. We eliminate the midfield, our defenders kick the ball to anyone, even de opposition.

9. We cant hold the ball for more than 5 passes.

10. Why can't we just learn to play a simple one touch football. Trap, pass and shoot.

Give this SAME team to Mexico or USA coach and in a year they will win CONCACAF. So its not like we dont have the players, we have them, we just cannot manage them the right way.

Our players dont think for 2 seconds, they hurry to get rid of the ball.

They want to look nice and pass the ball and switch plays and they cannot. Just keep it simple, pass the ball to the man next to you, make yourself always available and shoot when you can.

The players need to take some blame also.

Caribbean players are never bad players, they are fast and athletic. But they play without any sense.

You are only good as your coach.

Anton trying to build a staff he likes, men who can follow his instructions and not people who are capable.

Take a look at the PASSION of the Panama head coach for both their senior and junior teams for example. They played with an idea also.

Now take a look at Shawn Cooper face. De man didn't look like he knew what do to next.

And by having Anton on the bench added more pressure on the coaching staff.

Allyuh watch back de game.

If the staff cannot organize anything off de field then how can they organize anything on it.

We win one game and everyman jack here singing praises to de coach.

Panama was fitter, faster, hungry and better coached.

You think Panama wasn't afraid of us before the game, but they quickly adapted and then burn us. Their coach saw where he could improve and did that.

And this under 17 team was well supported by the T&T government that is why Creed was always on the field even if he was playing shit.

I hate to see slow players and to see a team with almost 10 slow players is a disaster waiting to happen.

Even players with no skills and who could run fast will burn them.

Shannon is a fighter, Trimingham save us a few, Fortune play decent, Brent was needed against Panama but de real hero of the night was Johan Welch.

Other than that, de rest of de team including the famous Akeem Garcia need to do something fast, because before you know it, they will be playing in de minor leagues in T&T.

Again, de players may not be bad players but they are not coached right.

It doesn't matter who de coach is, for some reason they all play the same way, from senior to junior.

De same brand of football.

HOW !?!?!?!

Ask Anton, he is de TD, he pulling all de strings.

Look how T&T does play.

Defender win de ball, kick it to de striker, de striker cant control, we loose it and we under pressure again, then we keeper save we, he give it to a defender, de defender kick it down de line, de man on de line cant control, we under pressure again. Then we win it back, we beat 2 man, de player head still down, makes no pass and try to do it on his own, bad, miss opportunity, on de flip side, if he did raise he head he would not have seen anyone because his teammates standing up and watching like fans.

And de same style is from junior to senior.

Only because we have a few decent individual players who bail us out from time to time or else we in real trouble.

Sad to see we 2 best players of the night were American born players.

WE WANT GOOD FOOTBALL, not just results !!!!!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:00:37 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anton Corneal loves the game.
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
The problem is that these people take what they learn in course and use it as their formula instead of using the knowledge to enhance and bulid on what they already know.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Let me second the  assertions- certification  is one thing but having the expertise to impart , teach, coach, strategize and motivate are huge factors which were not readily apparent.

I believe that this team has the talent and the potential to up there Canada but for all intense purposes, thy seem to lack the direction in how to control the play- how to change the tempo and in many areas that were stated above.

The responsibility for those lie directly with those entrusted to take the talent and turn it into gold.

We seem to be missing lessons from our success and failures. Our WC 2006 team was not in the same calibes of a Spain or Brazil but to watch how a caoch could take these players and have them string out England and Sweden is a lesson in itself. To have players  playing  to that level is a talent and maybe we have to admit that  if we need  success  on the international stage, we ought to be  ensuring that  we have the coaches or TD to  do so.

On the other hand with the financial shambles of the TTFF and the  lack of funding form a sports minister who may be trying to help a friend to show that without he  our football eh go amount to nothing, one has to  give some credit to those who are trying to do the best with what they know. But lawd if our TD was around all the big time coaches and  WC should we not expect more  from what we are seeing?

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »
Sam in full agreement! Not sure if he loves the game as much what he thinks he can benefit from the position. Selection of Shabazz is a classic example of selecting persons whom  he can control. Shabzz a former Alcons player with much loyalty. I have noticed this trend. I did find the ministry of Sport was giving a lot of support for the Team's preparations which I was pleased about. But now I am wondering if Creed is related to the PS in the Sport Ministry and hence the support as well as his selection by Anton to get that support. And to be able  to have trips abroad calling them preparation.How do we expect football to go anywhere if these kind of machinations are what decisions are based on? It appears they will continue to brown nose to persons who can keep them in positions and excellence is the last thing on their mind. Once WE in charge we good to go! We will fool them and say we have development Programme for  the whole country. We giving out C and D licenses like they  going out of style. Unfortunately  we can't give out A license because we aint reach that level yet.
When I see the kind of football Honduras playing to knock out the US, it does hurt because I know we have that kind of potential. I guess we can keep dreaming. We are such a tolerant people to our own disadvantage.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
So ... should Anton step down? If so, why? When? After the Gold Cup? Before? Yesterday?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
Look it have people who reach out to Anton but he cyah get back to them yet....

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
wey Anton in truth? Coach come coach go , performance good , bad or different Anton in place. I hear Hart saying his father invited him to join the National Team back in the 80s. Is he another Corneal find and is Anton staying in the background to surface again? Questions, questions, over this Anton fella but no answers.
Ant answers Tim KEE?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
wey Anton in truth? Coach come coach go , performance good , bad or different Anton in place. I hear Hart saying his father invited him to join the National Team back in the 80s. Is he another Corneal find and is Anton staying in the background to surface again? Questions, questions, over this Anton fella but no answers.
Ant answers Tim KEE?

He trained with Alvin's NT back around 1980 and overs for an education.
Has been a major figure in Canadian soccer for almost two decades.

Is the ex Canadian Tech. Dir. and NT Coach.
If anything is Canada find him.

Back in the 90s when he was recommended by a TD dept. to the TTFF as the Tech. Dir for youth football, JW say no.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »
Let Anton go and coach a pro league team if he is such a good coach.

In fact, let him coach an SSFL team and see where they end up since he working with youths all these years.

Then we can compare him to all the other local coaches and see how knowledgeable he is.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zD6gcHSvbY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-zD6gcHSvbY</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
TTFA faces $3.5m lawsuit from Corneal.
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:46 AM »
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

The T&T Football Association (TTFA) is on the verge of another lawsuit if monies owed to former national coach, assistant coach, youth development officer and technical director Anton Corneal for salaries are not paid soon.

Corneal held the positions of Under-17 coach and youth development officer between 2004-2006; was youth development officer and assistant coach to German coach Otto Pfister for the period 2009- 2011 and was technical director of local football from 2012 up until he resigned in 2014 which was because of non-payment of salaries.

He told the Guardian yesterday his decision to pursue legal action was something that he has to do if he is to receive payment for work he did. “I will not be going behind the football association begging for monies that are rightfully owed to me and therefore I will do what I have to do” Corneal said.

Apart from salaries, Corneal who is the son of former national footballer, coach, technical and now sports commentator and FIFA analyst Alvin Corneal, is also attempting to recover other entitlements that were agreed to be paid in his contract. He explained his contribution to local football goes beyond salaries he worked for and included paying off minor expenses for his employers with an expectation that he will be re-imbursed.

“About two and a half years ago, the TT team went to Miami to face Canada and the association had no money to pay stipends to the players and I had to dip into my pocket to pay the stipends. “It amounted to approximately $20,000 but I did it because I wanted to see the football progress” Corneal, the youngest T&T senior team player in history, explained.

Taking court action was expected to be his last option, he said, he tried his best to settle the matter through communication, however, my situation has took a different twist after seeing that other coaches, who were employed after him are now being paid before him.

Corneal, who made his senior national team debut at the age 16, said: “This tells me that I was being, either ignored or that the association just did not care about me. It seemed to me that only way to get your money from the association was by taking them to court.”

Of the coaches who benefitted financially from their work through the court, was former midfield maestro Russell Latapy and recently Dutchman Whelmut ‘Wim’ Rijsbergen, who will be paid after the court ordered that former president of the TTFF Oliver Camps, to sell one of his properties to pay him.

And only last year a number of players who took the football association to court over monies owed to them from the 2006 World Cup campaign, were paid by the People’s Partnership government.

Corneal, a qualified FIFA coach and lecturer, said while he was very happy for Latapy and the other coaches, he sees this practice as highly unethical, saying it was now time that the football association, which is being lead by David John-Williams, honour its agreement to pay him soon.

Though now gainfully employed as a FIFA Technical Development Officer for the Southeast Caribbean, his life under the TTFA took a downward turn, as he had to endure periods of stress which had placed mental, emotional and psychological strain on him and his family after going many months and years without pay. 

“Can you imagine what it is like to be living in hope?...I worked almost everyday with a hope that football association officials would approach me to say they had my salary for me, but it just never happened” he said.

The only payment he received was in 2012 when the Ministry of Sport and its minister Anil Roberts paid him half his salary for eight months.

As the FIFA technical development officer, Corneal, a former Fatima student and the youngest player to score a hattrick in senior national colours in 1980, is responsible for ensuring that the development programmes of all the islands in the southeast Caribbean, fall in line with that of  football’s world governing body.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anton Corneal Thread
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Of the coaches who benefitted financially from their work through the court, was former midfield maestro Russell Latapy and recently Dutchman Whelmut ‘Wim’ Rijsbergen, who will be paid after the court ordered that former president of the TTFF Oliver Camps, to sell one of his properties to pay him.

Interesting, Camps made it sound like he was loosing his only home.

Bunch of smart men.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
Very sad state of affairs with baby Cornmeal. I feel his pain. No TT salary money for quite a while. Real suffering for him although he is likely getting something from FIFA, unlike some of the local coaches who cyah eat a food at all without pulling bull. All the behind-the-scenes goings-on are coming more to light now as Uncle Tim and the most loyal Jackula-ites & cabal-ites found themselves post-election, surprisingly for the first time without the power to control the TTFA treasury, or keep the TTFA/TTFF financial secrets under wraps any more. The crowning symbol of their misdeeds is the absence of bloody financial records for years even when the administration was being reluctantly handed over. Could you imagine what would be going on if Uncle Tim got another several year term, or if Jackula’s Uncle Ram got his talons on the TTFA? Huhyuhyai!!

Baby Cornmeal and Papa Doc Cornmeal never had much to say publically when everybody was ketchin’ their nennen under Jackulito, with blacklistings left right & center or the broke footballers who never had a choice of 2 homes to sell to pay for cost of living, illnesses, career-ending injuries. As long as the gravy train of benefits, contracts, FIFA appointments and backroom deals to pay friends, family and other glaring examples of nepotism and cronyism was flowing like dysentery, there was no need to rock the boat or sue anybody. It churns one’s stomach to see this epidemic of in-your-face injustice and the degree to which some loved it so. It makes you want to feel no pity for them when they taste some presshah, as God doh like ugly.

One thing you know for certain: Just follow the money. When the carrion-money dries up then all the corbeaux does come out of the woodwork saying they are officially hungry, just like the victims they had been callously fleecing all along. It is unfortunately a sort of (very painful) blessing in disguise that financial hard times have hit ,and maybe not qualifying for the Copa America was a good thing, as it would have just covered up a festering maggot infected wound. Now the wound is more glaringly exposed and more painful but necessary surgery to cut out more of the rotten agents can be performed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:45:05 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:08 AM »
TTFA mum on Corneal’s $$ woes.
T&T Newsday Reports.

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams is staying mum on the issue concerning the proposed legal action to be taken against the local governing body for football by ex-national youth team coach and technical director Anton Corneal.

On Sunday, it was reported that Corneal plans to sue the TTFA to outstanding salaries during his time as Under-17 and Under- 20 coach, as well as technical director, from 2004-2014.

Contacted for a response on Monday, John-Williams said, “I don’t want to make any comment on that you know. What has been reported in the papers I don’t want to make any comment on that.” Told that Corneal was not taking action against any individual as in the Wim Rijsbergen vs (ex-TTFF president) Oliver Camps matter but the TTFA body itself, John-Williams reinforced his earlier response.

“I have absolutely no comment to make on the matter at this time. I haven’t seen anything else other than what has been reported in the press.

I can’t comment on it.” Upon taking over as TTFA president in November 2015, John-Williams promised to deal assiduously with the lingering debt incurred by the local governing body.

“Nothing new, we’re just working,” was all he had to say on that issue..

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA announces Anton Corneal as Technical Director
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:25 AM »
TTFA announces Anton Corneal as Technical Director
TTFA Media

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association today advises that it has retained the services of Anton Corneal as Technical Director of the FA for a two-year-period with an option to extend.

Corneal will take over the position previously held by Muhammad Isa who will now serve as Director of Football.

Corneal also previously held the position of Technical Director of the TTFA, being appointed in January, 2012, before taking up an appointment as FIFA Development Officer for part of the Caribbean.

Under his portfolio, Corneal will oversee the TTFA’s long term football development plan, with a special emphasis on the National Youth Teams; accreditation of Academies, registration of Coaches, research and Coach Education.

Muhammad Isa will assume the role of Director of Football and will be accountable for all aspects of the Grassroots and National Elite Programs which are fundamental to the future of football in Trinidad & Tobago. In addition, he will be the driving force for the community coaching program, and work closely with the Technical Director in setting up of the TTFA Technical Department and Centre. Muhammad Isa is no stranger to these roles having worked tirelessly over the last ten years, leading a  number of successful initiatives.

The FA is pleased to welcome Mr Corneal on board once again as it allows the organisation to tap into his expertise in the various areas of football development. He has a vast amount of experience in local football attained in his years of involvement with the different national teams.

In an immediate reaction, Corneal stated :” I have been in discussion with the TTFA, specifically with the President, on getting back involved in the programme and finding ways to bridge the gap in me not being there and working out a long term plan in the sense of off setting some of the monies owed and I think we came to a very amicable agreement.

“I have been asked to take up the position of technical Director really to help boost what is already happening and of course to structure a long term plan for the whole programme. both men and women and make sure it is a plan where we can get some level of success,” Corneal stated.

Isa commented on his new position, describing it as a significant development for the FA.

“I feel honoured to have been elevated to a position as the Director of Football. It comes with a lot more responsibility but one that I am really looking forward to. We will continue the programmes with a lot more supervision and proper execution. I will also look forward to working together with Anton in developing the programmes and ensuring there is smooth transition,” Isa stated.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U1BWaNhwHP4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U1BWaNhwHP4</a>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:37:42 AM by Tallman »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2017, 01:39:33 AM »
TTFA announces Anton Corneal as Technical Director.
TTFA Media.

Isa takes up Director of Football position

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association today advises that it has retained the services of Anton Corneal as Technical Director of the FA for a two-year-period with an option to extend.

Corneal will take over the position previously held by Muhammad Isa who will now serve as Director of Football.

Corneal also previously held the position of Technical Director of the TTFA, being appointed in January, 2012, before taking up an appointment as FIFA Development Officer for part of the Caribbean.

Under his portfolio, Corneal will oversee the TTFA’s long term football development plan, with a special emphasis on the National Youth Teams; accreditation of Academies, registration of Coaches, research and Coach Education.

Muhammad Isa will assume the role of Director of Football and will be accountable for all aspects of the Grassroots and National Elite Programs which are fundamental to the future of football in Trinidad & Tobago. In addition, he will be the driving force for the community coaching program, and work closely with the Technical Director in setting up of the TTFA Technical Department and Centre. Muhammad Isa is no stranger to these roles having worked tirelessly over the last ten years, leading a  number of successful initiatives.

The FA is pleased to welcome Mr Corneal on board once again as it allows the organisation to tap into his expertise in the various areas of football development. He has a vast amount of experience in local football attained in his years of involvement with the different national teams.

In an immediate reaction, Corneal stated:” I have been in discussion with the TTFA, specifically with the President, on getting back involved in the programme and finding ways to bridge the gap in me not being there and working out a long term plan in the sense of off setting some of the monies owed and I think we came to a very amicable agreement.

“I have been asked to take up the position of technical Director really to help boost what is already happening and of course to structure a long term plan for the whole programme. both men and women and make sure it is a plan where we can get some level of success,” Corneal stated.

Isa commented on his new position, describing it as a significant development for the FA.

“I feel honoured to have been elevated to a position as the Director of Football. It comes with a lot more responsibility but one that I am really looking forward to. We will continue the programmes with a lot more supervision and proper execution. I will also look forward to working together with Anton in developing the programmes and ensuring there is smooth transition,” Isa stated.

Video - Corneal talks about TTFA Technical Director appointment.

RELATED NEWS

Corneal: I’ve no apprehensions; returned TTFA Technical Director hopes to avoid internal clashes.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) technical director Anton Corneal will re-assume the post he quit three years ago, as part of a settlement with the local football body of a seven-figure debt owed to the former national youth coach.

His appointment means a portfolio change for current technical director Muhammad Isa, who now becomes the TTFA’s “director of football.”

Corneal initially quit as technical director on 1 April 2014 after going two and a half months without full pay. He told Wired868 then that the TTFA and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) had agreed that each would pay half of his salary. Instead, what allegedly happened is that SPORTT paid half of Corneal’s salary for eight months before stopping while the TTFA never gave him a cent.

Corneal, hired as the TTFA’s youth director in 2004, was appointed technical director under acting president Lennox Watson but when he finally walked off the job, Raymond Tim Kee was serving as president.

He now hopes for better luck under a third president, incumbent David John-Williams, although he admitted that it was in some respects a marriage of convenience.

“We came up with a long-term agreement to pay me off on a contractual basis,” said Corneal. “The courts would have done nearly the same thing, so this is a better way. We are still working out the details between our two lawyers.”

At present, the TTFA appears to be offering Corneal the job for three years with an option to pay him off more quickly if possible. It is uncertain what financial incentives are in place for the coach, who—at least in part—is working for money already owed to him.

Corneal said that, as technical director, he will oversee all of the TTFA’s football programmes, which include national youth football, the Elite Football Programme, grassroots football and women’s football.

However, in the TTFA’s announcement of the changes to its technical staff, the local football body suggested a split in duties between Corneal and Isa.

“Under his portfolio, Corneal will oversee the TTFA’s long-term football development plan, with a special emphasis on the National Youth Teams, accreditation of academies, registration of coaches, research and coach education.

“Muhammad Isa will assume the role of Director of Football and will be accountable for all aspects of the Grassroots and National Elite Programs, which are fundamental to the future of football in Trinidad & Tobago.”

Corneal insisted, though, that he will have overall charge although he pointed to the positives of the current set-up—which also includes Russell Latapy as “staff youth coach”, Stuart Charles-Fevrier as head coach of the Elite Youth Programme and Jamaal Shabazz, who acts as a de facto technical director of the women’s game and was, up until a month ago, head coordinator of technical programs with special authority over the Elite Youth Programme.

Since Corneal was not responsible for hiring any of the people who will now presumably report to him—and the TTFA did not make it clear whether he or Isa will have responsibility for recommending the hiring and firing of national coaches—was he concerned that it might have an impact on his effectiveness as supervisor?

The incoming technical director admitted that it was “not an ideal situation.” However, he suggested patriotism and love for the game could make it work and transform a muddle of job responsibilities into an efficient technical department.

“This is a chance for a real technical department because, when I was there before, one person did almost everything,” said Corneal. “So now it is about putting a technical department in place, which is important. It is not the best-case scenario but, once we put Trinidad and Tobago first, it should work out and I have always done that.

“I am going to go into it with a very positive frame of mind.”

Corneal noted that, as youth director, he took charge of a National Under-14 Team that went on to qualify for two World Youth Cups at Under-17 and Under-20 level and included current Soca Warriors players like Kevin Molino, Sheldon Bateau, Khaleem Hyland, Daneil Cyrus, Curtis Gonzales, Leston Paul, Aubrey David and Sean De Silva.

Corneal said his first action as technical director will be overseeing a situation analysis of all current football programmes to see how they can fit a common agenda. He explained that he will ensure feedback from all stakeholders, including the various leagues and schools bodies, academies, referees and media.

“I know there will be hurdles, with the main one being financial,” he said. “We will need finance to put certain things in place, such as ensuring the exposure of young players, who we must get to play at a level comparable to CONCACAF.

“If we can’t do that, then it slows down their progress and we have seen in the past how teams have excelled with the right exposure. Youth development is about patience, consistency, monitoring and evaluation—because you may have an 11-year-old player but it is only when he is 19 that you can see his true potential.”

Corneal’s impending TTFA appointment resembles a deal struck by the local football body with Latapy, who was owed a significant sum from his time as head coach between 2009 and 2010.

According to an informed source, the John Williams-led football body has fulfilled many—though not all—of its promises to Latapy so far.

Close to TT$14 million is believed to be the TTFA’s debt to past employees, including former men’s head coach Stephen Hart, technical director Kendall Walkes, women’s head coach Carolina Morace, general secretary Sheldon Phillips and referees head Ramesh Ramdhan. The football body will contest all of the claims but has already suffered at least partial defeat to Phillips and Ramdhan.

Hart, Walkes, Morace and Ramdhan all fell out with the football body during the John-Williams era.

Corneal, who worked as a FIFA technical development officer (October 2014-December 2016) and CONCACAF coaches’ lecturer (2017) since leaving the TTFA, said he has no qualms about returning to national football service.

“It is a great feeling to know you are part of developing your own [football infrastructure],” said Corneal. “[…] If I had any apprehension, I would not go into the job. I always believe in a positive mindset in life.”

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:52:40 PM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »
Jeez. What is the friggin difference? 

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
A gold Medal to the TTFA for the best Recycle Association in the World.
 Secondly - No money but putting folks in position that they are not clear about- Director of Football/ Technical Director. A clear prescription For Confusion.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »
Jeez. What is the friggin difference? 

You old enough to know, the more things change the more they remain the same. Difference was not the objective of this transaction.

Something to consider: similar to our player pool, there is a narrow band of persons who could or should fill the role.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:52:55 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Did Anton ever receive the money owed to him by the TTFA?
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »
Did Anton ever receive the money owed to him by the TTFA?

Good question!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
Corneal to focus on B License and player registration.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Newly appointed technical director of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association Anton Corneal intends to place heavy emphasis on coaching development through the staging of more TTFA/Dutch KNVB “B” License courses.

Corneal has conducted a couple B License courses this year already, including for the Secondary Schools Football League, while there continues to be a series of C License courses. But the time has come for the level of coaching to go a level higher, according to Corneal.

“We have had a lot of people doing the C license courses and now we have to step up to the B license. It is now a higher level game and not just focusing on the youth,” Corneal said.

“It is a lot more information, a lot more detailed, it’s dealing with older players, dealing with teams, team tactics, dealing with analysing games. It gives the coaches more information that would be relevant to coaching in the Pro League, the semi-pro league and even at the national team level,” he added.

Corneal also intends to focus more on youth player registration within Trinidad and Tobago.

“I think one of my immediate aims will be to standardise the registration of youth academies because we have a lot of youth academies in Trinidad. We don’t just want to standardise the coach education side of it but also the registration of youth players whether it be players out of a club, a coaching school, or even communities to give them a place where their players can be registered so if in ten years time there is a transfer where that player can be tracked right back to their first team,” Corneal added.

1]; } ?>