March 28, 2024, 06:46:08 AM

Author Topic: Amount of running during a game  (Read 2551 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Amount of running during a game
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »

Something I found very interesting whilst I was watch Schalke vs Porto last night.

Everytime a sub was made they put up a graphic on the amount of Kms the player being replaced ran during the game.
The average was about 9kms or 9000 ms.
I wonder what the work rate of Trinidad players are during our games and if they match up to the numbers done by the champions league players, it is probably a good way for the coachs to judge level of fitness.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Amount of running during a game
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »

Something I found very interesting whilst I was watch Schalke vs Porto last night.

Everytime a sub was made they put up a graphic on the amount of Kms the player being replaced ran during the game.
I wonder what the work rate of Trinidad players are during our games and if they match up to the numbers done by the champions league players, it is probably a good way for the coachs to judge level of fitness.

Nice topic. but before we go on, at the risk of asking a stupid question, how do they calculate this? Does ever player wear a podometer bracelet?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:19:08 AM »
Nice topic. but before we go on, at the risk of asking a stupid question, how do they calculate this? Does ever player wear a podometer bracelet?

Just speculating, but i would think with the technology available today it would not be difficult to calculate really...

Simply a matter of tracking each player's individual position on the field using a marker from video footage then having the computer work out the distance travelled..

Think gps

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:23:34 AM »

Just speculating, but i would think with the technology available today it would not be difficult to calculate really...

Simply a matter of tracking each player's individual position on the field using a marker from video footage then having the computer work out the distance travelled..

Think gps

That was mih first thought, but ah say nah....that too easy ;D
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:42:38 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

when they have a free kick yuh does see distance to goal and distance from the ball to the wall with so much of graphics looking like a radar on the field. how hard it coul dbe to track how much a player runs whole game

Stern John = 15m that does not include the 6 or 7 m from the edge of the dressing room to the pitch

Més que un club.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »

when they have a free kick yuh does see distance to goal and distance from the ball to the wall with so much of graphics looking like a radar on the field. how hard it coul dbe to track how much a player runs whole game

I was assuming that it would be much harder seeing that a free kick is static and the play will always be on the camera whereas a player running is by definition non static, and we don't always have a view of EVERY player on the field.

For a free kick, all yuh have to measure is distance (if you want speed, just check the time the ball take to cover the distance). For a player running, you have to take a series of different measurements in a staccato style, taking into consideration whenever he stop/fall/dive etc A free kick will basically always go in one direction (towards goal), whereas a player could backpedal, accelerate all kinda thing.

They did a Zidane documentary where they had 16 (i could be wrong) different cameras rivetted on him all match. Ah didn't think they had that time to waste on every no name player. However, tallman response seems pretty helpful

Stern John = 15m that does not include the 6 or 7 m from the edge of the dressing room to the pitch

pud dum dum chink !

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »

depends on how far d bar is or the next triniposse or brian lara fete is

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »
not friggin me at all....i from the valderama school...and disgruntled
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
The measurement is usually termed "distance covered" - so whilst players are always moving, I doubt that the 9000m is actually the amount that the player "ran"... It could include some walking & mild jogging at various points in the game. Still very very impressive given the nature of a footballer's movements (quick sprints, running backward etc.....), and the incredible tempo of modern day pro football.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »
ah find the game today so quick it unbelievable..

i eh no man utd fan, but i does be impressed with the pace they does play the game at..

when i look at classic games and older games the whole game does be running about 50% slower than it is today..

makes me wonder what the game will be like 10-20 yrs from now.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »
ah find the game today so quick it unbelievable..

i eh no man utd fan, but i does be impressed with the pace they does play the game at..

when i look at classic games and older games the whole game does be running about 50% slower than it is today..

makes me wonder what the game will be like 10-20 yrs from now.

Dred I's be thinking the same thing....

And it's not just the pace, but the quality of the football being played at that pace.

The reality used to hit back in the day when I watch footage of a game that I played in, which to me felt like breakneck speed and good quality- only to see on video that it was a walking pace effort for most part with questionable structure & dodgy technique at best  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yuh really have to be something special at the highest level....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »
Well, today I had the unexpected opportunity to ketch of all games, Kyrgyzstan v Cambodia. The match featured 7 goals. Several very good goals. However, one of the observations I made concerned this very topic.

The Cambodians were committed to running with the ball at their feet or in support of an attack. However, they were horrendous at getting into a sound defensive posture. The Kyrgyz were a bit better but, in both instances, it stood out that a key ingredient contributing to the lack of physicality was this lack of running/movement. On several occasions a simple commitment by a player of 2, 3 or 4 strides to achieve better positioning relative to the ball and the opponent, or to protect/retrieve the ball by making the strides and pushing a physical effort seemed to go wanting.

So, aside from the skill on display, the game looked ordinary and lacking in definition although entertaining. In great part I chalked this up to the focus of this topic. That stated, I don't find the reason for it completely resting in a lack of match fitness. Part of it seemed to rest in the players' education and perhaps in what they assumed they could get away with, but for the most part their approach seemed to suggest habit rather than playing circumstance.

I appreciated viewing this game because witnessing the lesser quality placed the higher quality ball we're accustomed to into very sharp perspective. In many respects games such as these are equally useful learning tools as games with high levels of execution.

Yet, I believe either of these teams would present competitive challenges for our U-23s or a national team with a heavily local bias. For some reason I'm imposing a value on our physicality still being neutralised by other approaches employed by the Kyrgyz, such that I can't say definitively we'd blow them away. Versus Cambodia I'm more optimistic. Their movement of the ball was neither sufficiently fast nor decisive, but on set plays we would have to be cautious against them.

Finally, I think we have to be cautious when evaluating yesterday and today versus speed of play, quantum of movement and general physical conditions etc. At the end of the day football is always going to be about reacting to imposed demands or about imposing demands. IMV, as understanding of the game has grown so has its sophistication so that the game is more refined in expectation, but I don't subscribe to what I suspect may be an implicit suggestion in this thread that faster necessarily equals better.

For me, teams that consistently and dominantly impose a philosophy of constant, persistent movement tend to attain heights during battle, but they don't always win the wars. Enter Argentina. I think they are excellent exponents of what this topic is about.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:58:52 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
Today Eboue ran some 11,000 +  :o Like he is a diesel
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »
yeah i saw that

makes a 5k run look like a stroll to hilo n back

the real tests is doh feel a flat paced run for 11k easy to start with, imagine walking jogging trotting srpinting all mixed up for different lengths of time and speeds, then add change of direction to it

i surprised we haven't seen more performance enhancing drugs in football

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Total distance run game statistics - technology questions
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
i doh watch much football on tv, but noticed they flash the total distance a player has run (along with the team average) on the screen now when they making substitutions and such. noticed this in the euro championship as well as the champion's league.

seems like this technology came about within the last few years (http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/tracking-how-far-soccer-players-run-112/). certainly the big teams have the money for this - and possibly some of the national team programs. UEFA certainly using it.

does FIFA (or some other organization) track these statistics for say qualifiers outside of europe?

any chance this in use (or will be in use) in T&T?

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
I think our players need to take this into account

Average min in match         ----- 90
Average no of active players ---- 20 (Minus goal Keepers)
therefore each player has an average of 4.5 mins witht the ball to prove their worth. And if you have a team with a ball hog, you have even less time on the ball so the question has to be asked, what about the other 85.5 minutes that you don't have the ball
I'm not saying but i'm saying.... Run!!!!

1]; } ?>