April 28, 2024, 10:03:57 AM

Author Topic: Power 102 Best Ever T&T Team (Anil & Sprang)  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Trini-Warrior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Power 102 Best Ever T&T Team (Anil & Sprang)
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:07:19 PM »

Lincoln Phillips
     Figaro                De La Bastide          Dexter Francis              Faustin
         Steadman           De Leon         Latapy                   Sedley
                                         Yorke         Franco
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:17:50 PM by Flex »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Power 102 Best Ever T&T Team
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
Marvin  Faustin boy. Ma mind just run on him the other day.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
I would put Bert Grell instead of Marvin Faustin. And Victor Gamaldo/Dennis Morgan in the defensive mid-field.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:03:01 PM »
No Stern ?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
No Stern ?

Is 2 CLOWN pick dah team.  Wha yuh really expeck?

And Carlton is meh real padnah eh.

Sedley Joseph?  Loud fleckin STEEEEUUUUPPPPPPEEEESSSSSSS.  He couldn't even wash Nakhid jock strap.  Alvin have more rights on a T&T bess all time XI any day ova Sedley.  Which Steadman dem have in midfield dey?  Yuh eh see dese people MADDDDD?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:41:25 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: Power 102 Best Ever T&T Team(Anil & Sprang)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »
Wait no TNT team would be complete if you don't have Leonson Lewis on the left wing and Carlos Edwards on the right

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

Lincoln Phillips
     Figaro                De La Bastide          Dexter Francis              Faustin
                                         Yorke         Franco

You mean to tell me that Nakkid not on that team.  Also, Corneal might be an idiot but he was a great player and deserve some consideration.  Also if we picking men at the peak of their careers Dog have to be on that team.  De Labastide was a good player but far too short to be competitive against the world's best players.  My team would be:

Phillips
   Figaro             Dog Andrews        Dexter Francis     Marvin Faustin
      Jan Steadman     Leo DeLeon          Latapy                Nakkid
                                    Yorke      Stern John

Notables: Shaka Hislop,  Alvin Corneal, Leo Brewster, Gally Cummings, De Labastide

My two cents.....
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »
big question here...

in the context of his performances in the Trinidad jersey, should Yorke be considered in a striker or midfield role?

also what about Steve David?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
Stern John.  Den Latas.  Dilly 3rd.  Den 8 others.

Stern John first only because it eh have no dispute fuh de forward line.  De bess ever striker from T&T bar none. 

Latas only have debate because a Dilly.

De ress could fight up.  But when namin a T&T All Star team....dem 3 fuss.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
Gally Cummings and Leo Brewster- Leonson Lewis- Sammy LLewellyn.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
big question here...

in the context of his performances in the Trinidad jersey, should Yorke be considered in a striker or midfield role
?

Your so right. Yorke was not much a big striker for Trinidad.  He's more a club player. Thats what im afraid Kenwyne Jones turn into also

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:24:48 PM »

Stern John first only because it eh have no dispute fuh de forward line.  De bess ever striker from T&T bar none. 

i eh fraid to ask a chupit question..

who is Dilly?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »
big question here...

in the context of his performances in the Trinidad jersey, should Yorke be considered in a striker or midfield role?

You right!  Ah go have to put Steve David in Yorke place and add him to the reserves I listed.  And imagine we still have Sammy Llewellyn and Leonsen Lewis to add to that group.

But it just goes to show the enormous talents we have had in TT and continually fail to make it to the top because of the arsinine administration we have had for the lat 30 years.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »

Could you share your basis for your saying that Stern J is "De bess ever striker from T&T bar none", over others such as Warren 'Lagga' Archibald, Steve David, Wifred Cave, etc,  

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »

who is Dilly?
Leroy De Leon
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
whappen to Brian Williams...cyah have no back line without him.....

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »

Could you share your basis for your saying that Stern J is "De bess ever striker from T&T bar none", over others such as Warren 'Lagga' Archibald, Steve David, Wifred Cave, etc,  

Who is de leading goal scorer in T&T?  Better yet... who is de leading goal scorer in CONCACAF?
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
Stern the best ever!!!   He is undisputable the top TT scorer. But Steve David will give him a good run for his money.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Power 102 Best Ever T&T Team (Anil & Sprang)
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »
Storeboy,
               yes, Tyrone Delabastide was indeed short, but he was not too short to head the ball. I can attest to that, because I saw him play.

for a short man he had great timing and could outjump a lot of guys taller that him. He was also very quick, almost a corbon-copy of Robero Carlos. He played in the first WC team and the PanAm games(67), where they bust Argentina with some 66 WC players on their team.

All this best team thing is very subjective. Older guys like Coops and myself will always standup for the 60' s guys because we could compare them with the present generation.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:07 PM »
Dey have about 6 defenders on dat team.You trying to tell me nobody from the earlies could make dat team ? Mathews Nunes ( I heard he was one of the best dribbling strikers we've ever had),Squekie Hinds,Jeff Stollmeyer,Shay Seymour( I think he's the first Trini to play in England),Thor Schjoseth.
there is always debate between Lincoln and Joey Gonzales for the best keeper.Pundits say Lincoln was flashier,always diving and looking pretty but doing a good job and Gonzales was more positional,very compotent.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »

Who is de leading goal scorer in T&T?  Better yet... who is de leading goal scorer in CONCACAF?

Is it accurate to state that there are much more int'l games today than yesteryear? If so, Stern would have won more national caps than strikers of the past. As a consequence, being the leading scorer in T&T as well as CONCACAF canot be the only yardstick for assessing who is the best striker, especially when comparing strikers from different eras.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

69 goals in 104 appearances for the National team.

One a de bess strike rates in de history of international football

Jes pass Gerd Mueller for 6th all time goal scorer in de history of international footballer

Nex on de list is El Rey himself....Pele with 77 international goals for Brazil.

NOBODY in T&T football even comes close to Stern's International achievements.  NOBODY!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:55:59 PM by palos »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
A comedian and a clown pick dat team what all yuh expect
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »

69 goals in 104 appearances for the National team.

One a de bess strike rates in de history of international football

Jes pass Gerd Mueller for 6th all time goal scorer in de history of international footballer

Nex on de list is El Rey himself....Pele with 77 international goals for Brazil.

NOBODY in T&T football even comes close to Stern's International achievements.  NOBODY!
How come people cant see HOW good Stern John is?

maybe Disgruntled has many identities :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
[quote
How come people cant see HOW good Stern John is?

I don't see anyone saying dat Stern is not good or refuting how good he is. As fuh me, I think very highly of him as a goal scorer.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 04:44:37 AM »

who is Dilly?
Leroy De Leon

I'll Never Forget...Revenge of the country bookie.

By David Brewster.
21-Aug-2003 - The youngsters he has been working with recently at his camps at Mahaica and Port of Spain, see a clean-shaven man of 55 who they know as coach Leroy De Leon.
Their fathers though, probably know him as just “Dilly”. Like Mike, and Tiger, Sachin and Ronaldo, one name is sufficient for identification and for rousing deep passion.
In the context of Trinidad and Tobago football history, Leroy De Leon belongs in that club. His folk-hero status was established in the 1960s and ‘70s when his unique set of ball skills, winning record, and force of personality, captured the imagination of at least two generations. Whether he was wearing the green and gold of St Benedict’s College, the red and yellow of Point Fortin Civic Centre, or the red, black and white of the national team, he was a maker of memories with his quick feet and clever passes.
All who saw him will have their special Dilly story. For him too, there are a few outstanding ones.
He remembers the 1969 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying tournament in Costa Rica, not so much for the football—T&T finished out of the top spots—but for what happened afterwards.
“Here I am sitting in the auditorium and they are giving out awards and congratulating the teams that are going through and my name was called (as the MVP). It was a total surprise,” he tells me.
“I’m thinking, why are they calling me? We didn’t win anything, we didn’t even get close. But then again, looking back, I must have done something. I did accept it, and I don’t know where it is now, I gave it to my mom.”
On the field, Dilly also took special pleasure from silencing a famous voice.
Raffie Knowles, himself a legend in sports broadcasting, seemingly did not think much of the chances of the St Benedict’s side which De Leon led out against Fatima College in a 1960s Intercol tie on Fatima Ground, Mucurapo. And, in typical Raffie style, he did not keep his opinions to himself. But with five minutes to go in the match with Benedict’s down 0-1, it seemed that he had called it right. Captain Dilly thought otherwise.
“I remember Dick Furlonge, he was playing right wing at the time,” the man recalls. “He could not beat this defender, and I knew Dick to do it, so I was getting angry at him. I was the captain at the time, so I told him to come back and play midfield, I’ll go up top. Then Allan Cupid was the (Benedict’s) goalkeeper, he got a ball, and I ran in the (Benedict’s 18-yard box) and I said: ‘Give me the ball!’ He was getting ready to kick out the ball, but I said no, give me the ball... I was playing all over the field. Wherever the ball was, I was there. So I was in the defence, I took the ball and I just... There was no one in front of me as far as I was concerned... got in their 18, put it off to Archie (Warren Archibald), 1-1.
Dilly was not finished. Shortly before the final whistle: “Up the road again, almost the same spot. This time I won the ball, and I think Wilfred Cave scored the goal.”
The Fatima crowd were not the only ones left speechless by the turnaround.
“When I went home, my mom said they thought there was some emergency (with Raffie Knowles) because the radio went dead! She said they were playing with the knobs trying to figure out, we lose the station? Went dead!”
What Knowles and the fans witnessed that day, would be repeated oftentimes during those high-riding St Benedict’s days of Dilly, Archie and “Bound to Score” Cave.
In particular, De Leon, the playmaker, and his childhood colleague Archibald, the wing dazzler, had a special telepathy.
“We understood each other, De Leon explains. “It’s like watching Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen when they played. It’s almost the same thing.”
De Leon and Archibald also took their show onto a bigger stage.
The North vs South Classic of 1963, saw a 15-year-old De Leon and Archibald lining up for an unfancied South side against the star-studded town boys at the Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain.
Lincoln Phillips, Sedley Joseph, Tyrone de La Bastide, Charlie Spooner, Gerry Brown, Victor Gamaldo, Kelvin Berassa, Arthur “Jap” Brown were all household names and national players, playing for the northerners. The odds, like the crowd, seemed against South.
“Queen’s Park Oval was filled, and I would say 90 per cent was North people,” recalls De Leon.
And at 2-0 by half time, North were justifying those odds.
But then someone made a fatal mistake. He provoked Dilly.
“I was walking back to the dressing room... First to begin with, Raffie Knowles had an article on the papers saying that there was no way South could beat North with young De Leon and South is making a big mistake and blah, blah, blah. Anyway, one thing that really ticked me off as I was walking in, somebody called us Country Bookies. And I went in the dressing room, and I don’t remember who was coaching us at the time, I never listened to one word he said. In my mind, I couldn’t wait to get back on the field to show these guys what this Country Bookie could do. The level went from here to here (motioning with his hands). And we ended up beating them 4-2, we came back and scored four unanswered goals.
De Leon himself sparked the recovery. Spectacularly.
“Lincoln Phillips was in goal. He had a habit of coming out on the 18-yard line and directing traffic. And the ball came (just inside of the centre circle), and I shook one guy and I saw him standing there, and I hit it! I just beat one guy, took a touch, put it in the back (of the net).”
It was now Archibald’s turn to shine.
“Then Archie came down,” recalls De Leon. “I did my stuff, put it to Archie...put it in the back of the net... I don’t remember the rest.”
The scores were level, but the final result was now a formality.
He explains: “After I scored the first goal, I knew we were going to win the game. Archie and I, we looked at each other, and you could just feel it. You know you score a goal and you just know, we got ‘em now, we got ‘em. They were beating us, but they were not beating us. They had guys up top who could score goals. But we were beating them on the field but just couldn’t finish. But once we got the first one in, the floodgates opened.”
Displays like this one soon took De Leon onto the national team. Shortly after he turned 16, he made his debut as a substitute at the same Oval against a visiting Brazilian Under-23 team. T&T won 2-1 that day, and for De Leon, there were lasting benefits.
“It impacted my career greatly, because (St Benedict’s principal) Dom Basil Matthews ended up hiring a guy from Brazil (Americo Brunner) to coach. And when he came in, he kind of tamed my game a little bit. He said I didn’t have to run all over the field. When I got off the field, I should be mentally, not physically drained. He taught us how to move and when to move and why to move... My whole game changed.”
It was not long before Dilly was taking his show on the road to the fledgling North American Soccer League. He was to find new fame there.
The “Country Bookie” had gone big time.

I attended both of these games, saw Dilly play numerous times. Gally and Earl Fough played for Fatima that day.
Dilly was the best I ever saw from T & T. followed by Gally, Archie and Steve David.

Lincoln

Springer       Figaro               Grell     Rondon

Deleon   

Gally                                                 Archie 

Latapy  

Steve David         Stern John

My 2 cents...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:28:33 AM by TakeNoPrisoners »

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »
Big names men throwing out ah going with
Stern,
Bert Neptune
Buggy Haynes
Latapy,
Nakhid,
Yorke,
Leonson Lewis
Figaro,
Steve Pierre
Brian Williams
Shaka

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »
Leonson Lewis should definitely be on that starting line-up.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 12:20:51 PM »

Lincoln Phillips
                                         Yorke         Franco

You mean to tell me that Nakkid not on that team.  Also, Corneal might be an idiot but he was a great player and deserve some consideration.  Also if we picking men at the peak of their careers Dog have to be on that team.  De Labastide was a good player but far too short to be competitive against the world's best players.  My team would be:

Phillips
   Figaro             Dog Andrews        Dexter Francis     Marvin Faustin
      Jan Steadman     Leo DeLeon          Latapy                Nakkid
                                    Yorke      Stern John

Notables: Shaka Hislop,  Alvin Corneal, Leo Brewster, Gally Cummings, De Labastide

My two cents.....

What's height got to do with it? :devil:

1]; } ?>