April 27, 2024, 03:28:18 AM

Author Topic: Euro 2008: Turkey v. Germany  (Read 11178 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Euro 2008: Turkey v. Germany
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
Euro 2008

Germany, Turkey and Jumbled Loyalties

June 25, 2008

By NICHOLAS KULISH

BERLIN — A game is not just a game when it pits the national soccer teams of the deeply intertwined countries of Germany and Turkey against each other.

When the German team takes the field Wednesday night against Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, in the semifinals of the European Championship, it will also face two German natives on the Turkish side. The versatile midfielder Hamit Altintop hails from the West German city of Gelsenkirchen and defender Hakan Balta is a Berliner.

The World Cup gives national teams the ultimate soccer bragging rights, but the neighborly rivalries in the European event make for what at times feels like a more intense tournament. The frenzy has reached a peak over Wednesday’s intriguing semifinal because of the estimated 2.7 million people either of Turkish citizenship or heritage living in Germany, the country’s largest minority.

With both teams still alive, it has been doubly festive here and up to this point mutually supportive, as many Germans have cheered on the Turks and vice versa. Each Turkish victory in the tournament has brought enthusiastic fans draped in the country’s red flag onto the streets, where they set off firecrackers and shot bottle rockets into the night sky, with parties often lasting until morning. German fans have packed pubs and beer gardens for their team’s run to the semifinals.

Now the country is practically humming with anticipation for the match, with an overriding optimism for a nationwide party spiked with an edge of nervousness that a friendly sporting rivalry could spill over into something more serious in the streets. Police officials say they are prepared, especially in Berlin where some 500,000 people are expected at the public viewing area at the Brandenburg Gate.

All of Europe has been in the grip of what it calls football fever for the past two and a half weeks as the continent’s best teams have squared off. The tournament has given audiences some displays of masterful soccer, but also more than a few intriguing subplots as the increasingly mobile populations around Europe and the world create an overlapping web of confused loyalties.

Mixed allegiances are hardly new to international soccer. Players often duel against teammates and friends from their professionals squads. Some coaches know no borders. Russia’s coach, Guus Hiddink, celebrated his team’s latest victory over his home country, the Netherlands.

And, as in the Germany-Turkey matchup, there are often political overtones. A matchup in the final between Germany and Russia, which plays Spain in the other semifinal, could well exhaust a decade’s worth of World War II references.

The Germans already faced Robert and Niko Kovac, brothers born in West Berlin, when they lost to Croatia in the group round. Not that German soccer fans are in any position to complain about the Croats or the Turks, seeing how their team beat neighboring Poland, 2-0, in their tournament opener with both goals from Lukas Podolski, one of the squad’s three Polish natives.

Though Austria and Switzerland have been the co-hosts of the European event, the ouster of both countries’ teams in the group stage meant that they were not the stars of their own show. If the most memorable symbol of Germany’s successful hosting of the World Cup in 2006 was the German flag displayed without shame or second-guessing, the motif this time around for German spectators are the twin Turkish and German flags flapping from countless car windows around the country.

“Of course my heart lies first with the German team,” said Rainer Krause, 63, a Berlin native who bought a red Turkish flag as well as a German one at a store in the heavily Turkish Neukölln neighborhood, where he works., “But over the decades the loyalties have grown together, there are such strong feelings of connection.”

Altintop, who plays for the German club champion, Bayern Munich, agrees. In an interview this week with Spiegel Online, he declared, “I owe much, actually everything, to Germany.” But when asked whether he considered himself German at heart, Altintop, the Turkish team’s mainstay, reinforced the sense of dual loyalty, saying: “No. Maybe I’m both.”

The Turkish side will need everything Altintop can give it, with the team whittled down by injuries and suspensions to just 15 players — 11 starters and 4 potential substitutes. The possibility that one of the team’s backup goalies could play forward has added to their underdog appeal.

Some Germans have gone so far as to switch allegiances from their home team to Turkey, a sentimental favorite of the tournament if not quite a Cinderella, considering its run to the semifinals in the 2002 World Cup. “It’s only fair,” said Rosie Lambrecht, who was out shopping for a Turkey T-shirt on Tuesday morning and who roots with her Turkish friends and neighbors in Neukölln. “They’ve never won the tournament.”

The Turkish team has teetered on the brink of elimination from the beginning, losing its opener to Portugal and trailing much of the second game against Switzerland after a first-half goal by none other than Hakan Yakin, a Swiss player from a Turkish family. The Turks pulled out the game against the Swiss with two second-half goals.

In the final group match against the Czech Republic, the theatrics really began, with Nihat Kahveci scoring twice in the closing minutes for an improbable come-from-behind 3-2 win. Against Croatia, the team tied the score in the closing moments of the match just minutes after a Croatia goal appeared to end the tournament for Turkey, and then prevailing in penalty kicks over a visibly demoralized Croatian team.

That set up the showdown with the Germans for the right to play in the final, which is hardly being treated as just another game. Germany’s foreign minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, told a television news channel he hoped that “no attempts would be made to disturb a peaceful soccer party.”

After the match Friday between Turkey and Croatia, which got rough among the players at points, opposing fans in Vienna, where the match was played, threw bottles and paving stones at one another, leading to a dozen arrests. There were also arrests in the German city of Frankfurt, which like Berlin is hosting public screenings of the match.

“Certainly we’ve raised our security measures for the match,” said Thomas Feda, the managing director of the Frankfurt tourism board. “But the mood has been great for the matches, with lots of families bringing their children.” Feda said he expected a peaceful event, and added that there would be no separating of fans by their rooting interests.

“I think it will go great, whichever team wins,” said Murat Yalcin, 33, who works at a cafe in Neukölln back in Berlin. He was wearing a Turkey T-shirt, but said that if Germany wins, he would root for it in the final. “When you live here, when you were raised here, why root for anyone else?”

Steffen Scholz contributed reporting.

Source
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:01:51 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008: Turkey v. Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »
May have to eat my words, but with the Turkish team so depleted I think Germany is getting a free pass in this game.....

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:15 PM »
Dem eh turkey nah dem is cat dey have 9 lives so meh eh writin dem off at all
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »
May have to eat my words, but with the Turkish team so depleted I think Germany is getting a free pass in this game.....

Should be a very passionate game either way... but I rooting on Germany  :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:01:01 AM »
Poor Turkey, so many inuries and I think two unavailable becz of cards.

Only 13 players available, including the reserve Keeper and he may have to play in the outfield.

If Germany lose this game, they have a right to feel real shame.

Should the Turks win, this would be on of the truly historic moments in world football.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:34:36 AM »
Taken from the Euro 2008 football site.

Turkey look almost certain to go into their UEFA EURO 2008™ semi-final without their leading striker after a scan on Nihat Kahveci's thigh confirmed he will not be fit for Wednesday's showdown with Germany.

Bad news
The Turkey vice-captain hobbled off holding his right thigh three minutes from the end of extra time in Friday's dramatic quarter-final victory over Croatia. He was taken to hospital for a scan on the injury and the results spell further bad news for coach Fatih Terim, who will likely be missing more than a third of his squad through a combination of injuries and suspensions in Basel. More detailed news was expected from the Turkey camp later about Nihat, whose two late goals against the Czech Republic propelled the team into the last eight in spectacular fashion, as well as about the other players on the injured list.

Injured list
Emre Güngör has already been ruled out of the tournament because of a calf complaint while Servet Çetin (hip and knee), Tümer Metin (groin) and Emre Belözoğlu (hamstring) are major doubts for Wednesday. Of that trio only Tümer is currently able to take part in light training, with Emre restricted to treatment in the swimming pool. Terim is definitely without the suspended quartet of Emre Aşık, Tuncay Şanlı, Volkan Demirel and Arda Turan for Turkey’s first semi-final on the European stage although, on the plus side, he will welcome back midfielder Mehmet Aurélio from a ban.

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 05:34:55 AM »
Is party all night tonight in Germany. Ah jus hope dat Turkey will take de licks and join de party after.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 05:41:05 AM »
Is party all night tonight in Germany. Ah jus hope dat Turkey will take de licks and join de party after.

Ich auch! Ich will das Deutschland meister wird.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:39:41 AM »
Poor Turkey, so many inuries and I think two unavailable becz of cards.

Only 13 players available, including the reserve Keeper and he may have to play in the outfield.

If Germany lose this game, they have a right to feel real shame.

Should the Turks win, this would be on of the truly historic moments in world football.

VB

Was thinking the same thing.

A Turkey Russia final would be a hell of a upset though when you think about it, especially after Greece in 2004. Two teams that ent make the last World Cup vieing to be European champions...

I backing the underdogs
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:19:59 AM »

You have to realize that this Turkish team defies all logic and this may actually improve their chances
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
game start!
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »
I like the statements agains Racism to start (even doh I ent understand one word that was said...)

... that field looking like somebody grandmother's patchwork quilt.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »
dem men shoulda check bermuda for some grass...de  brown patches eh looking  good at all....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
I like the statements agains Racism to start (even doh I ent understand one word that was said...

I eternally back de underdogs.GO TURKEY !!
I hope it applies to reffs moreso cuz they have the power to break ah team's spirit,as you know.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 01:02:04 PM »
Turkey looking like the more confident squad so far... Kazim Kazim nearly break de facking crossbar yes.  What ah bullet.

Nice set up.

I eternally back de underdogs.GO TURKEY !!
I hope it applies to reffs moreso cuz they have the power to break ah team's spirit,sa you know.

I ent too sure ah follow yuh dey nah breds...lol
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:03:54 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »
Germany like dey eh ready to play dis match..dey shoulda be down 1 nil already

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
Germany like dey eh ready to play dis match..dey shoulda be down 1 nil already

Kazim looking nice in de earlies boy...another shot off the bar... and Boral scrambles the rebound over the line... 1-0 Turkey 23'

Leh do some shit dey...steups
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:12:19 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
Turkey hit the bar and leading 1-0 after 22 mnts.

Curious to see what will happen in the last 25 mnts of this game.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
1-1 in the 26th....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
Bastian facking Schweinsteiger.... 1-1 26'

...off the pass from Podolsky

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
I applaud Turkey for the opening goal. Lots of bad passing and giving up corners on Germany's side. But given Turkey's situation and early goal means almost nothing.
Get it together Deutschland

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »
Lehmann skin up on de line like ah ole ting..
As ah type de man eh make ah note whole game and score yes..game on

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
well there you go

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »
good pass from lucas
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »
game on boy........Turkey dominate so far, but Germany come right back
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »
steups, meh whole fantasy league defense officially salt.  >:(

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »
Is either you support Germany or you don't. Germany just jogging around and not really exerting themselves to much. Don't worry.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
just now podolski gettin on de scorecard.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
Turkey shooting like a beast fromthe outside.

I hope TT footballers watching this and looking at the Turkish Free Kicks...Damn.

VB

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
game is on what channel?
WAR
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>