April 29, 2024, 01:31:00 AM

Author Topic: WARRIOR NATION INTERVIEW: Kelvin Jack  (Read 7455 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WARRIOR NATION INTERVIEW: Kelvin Jack
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:01:08 AM »
WARRIOR NATION INTERVIEW: Kelvin Jack
By Tallman

A candid conversation with the hardworking goalkeeper and foundation member of FPATT

On my first visit to London, I took a break from the Euro 2008 action to meet up with erstwhile blacklisted Soca Warriors goalkeeper Kelvin Jack. Though we initially had a mix up in communication, Kelvin picked me up at the Woolwich Arsenal train station, and we headed to the lobby of  the Express By Holiday Inn in Greenwich, near the O2 (Millennium Dome). To my surprise, they had a promotion going on; 4 Becks beers for ₤10. Seeing that deals are hard to come by in London, and Kelvin twisted my arm, I decided to partake of said beverages. Since Kelvin opted for an espresso and a cup of soup, and he does not drink beers, I made out like the proverbial bandit. What was initially slated to be a 45 min-1 hour interview turned into 1 hour and 45 minutes, and could have easily gone on longer if there was not the threat of Kelvin getting a buss head from his wife, and me needing to catch a train back to Central London before service stopped for the night. Kelvin talked about his rise through the ranks of professional football, his role in FPATT (Football Players Association of Trinidad & Tobago), his court battles with the TTFF and agent Mike Berry, and his views on T&T football. The interview took place on Monday, June 16th from about 8:45 PM.

Read more...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:30:17 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WARRIOR NATION INTERVIEW: Kelvin Jack
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
that was an excellent interview tallman...keep up de good work 

much respeck Kelvin  :beermug:

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:01 AM »
Since when you know words like "erstwhile"???  ;D
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:29:51 AM »
Pure niceness dey Tallest.

Dem beers have yuh waxin lyrical sah.....erstwhile, proverbial etc.. ;D

By de way...is perverbial eh....Dem beers mus be did well strong!!  ;D ;D ;D

On a side note, KJ well evade dem Latas questions boy.  Yuh push him hard but he eh bitin... ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:54:15 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Mucorapo1971

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »
great great interview TallMan You've asked some questions that I was really hoping you would ask.
KJ seems to be very genuine and bright

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:54:24 AM »
Great Interview...
He seems like a cool well grounded individual...
Good Luck in the future Kelvin

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »
Tallman this is a great interview, and you touch on all the topics of interest there.. also i like how it seem you knew when to step back and when to push the button.. yuh have some talent..  :beermug:

oops.. that should be  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: for $10..  :D

PS: Anything on the horizon for some more live webchat interviews like the one with Darryl Roberts?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »
PS: Anything on the horizon for some more live webchat interviews like the one with Darryl Roberts?

We have interest from Brent Sancho, Osei Telesford, Julius James, and Randi Patterson. It is a matter of nailing down a date and time.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »

We have interest from Brent Sancho, Osei Telesford, Julius James, and Randi Patterson. It is a matter of nailing down a date and time.

No interviews wit Hardest planned?

Ah could see de headline now..."Hardest Unplugged"
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »
Tallman - Wonderful Interview.

It put plenty things into perspective.

I think we should all put that Germany 06 Warrior team to rest. We will never see that again, there is too much division amongst the few pros we have and it is sad that we reach to struggling against Bermuda but we must throw our support to these new fellas and hope for the best.

Highlights for me in this interview...

Larry Loobie, who I felt was a freak of nature at that time. I'm not joking. He was very, very good.
...What happened to him he really was good.

I always said to myself, if every single day I could show the coach that I'm a good keeper, he cannot say that I'm not good enough. He must see me every day working hard and doing the right things. Those are the things that are within your control. You are only in control of your own performance. If the coach decides to pick somebody else, right or wrong, that is their prerogative. But you should never give the coach the opportunity to pick someone else because you are not being professional or you're making errors. He must almost be feeling guilty and going home and thinking about it if he selects someone else besides you, because he knows that you are absolute quality.
.....very inspirational all our players should take this advice.

you were the third string keeper. Clayton Ince was first and Shaka was second.
....I still maintain that is the order.

. I did my research on Beenhakker, because I was actually contemplating whether or not to be involved at all in the campaign. I read a few articles about him and I knew that he was a no-nonsense man, and I knew he was a fair man. So I felt that if I could make sure that I train well, and when I have the opportunity to play, play well, then I would have a chance. Fortunately, I got that chance.

Right then and there I made the decision that it made no sense for me to play for my personal glory when I'm not fully fit, and then let the team down. So I told the coach what was going on, and he asked me if I was sure. He asked “can you try?”. I said “no, ah cyar do it.”

WN: What was his reaction? Did he get vex, was he perplexed?
KELVIN: No, he just said “OK my friend.” Then he started looking at Clayton and Shaka. It's funny, because Shaka was doing a proper warm-up, and Clayton was off to the side juggling some balls and so forth. He looked at them a few times, and he called Shaka and said to him “You are playing. Are you ready?”, and Shaka said “Yes, I'm ready.”, and that was that.
................................Dat is Divine Intervention Right Dey....Watch the sequence of events...the injury..the acceptance...the decision by both player and coach....the acceptance by coach...the antics of the two players at that time...the decision...the belief...the performance...the outcome...the glory.....Shit we were really blessed that day yes!

I could only give my view on it. Mr. Beenhakker made the decision he felt was right at the time. No one will ever know if we would have won if Latapy played. Russell is a truly wonderful player and I'm just happy he was able to showcase his immense talent in the final game.

WN: I never expected him to play any full games. I had expected him to play something like a half-hour in every game. Significantly though, I remember on the flight back from Bahrain that Latapy told Theobald that the did not know if he was going to play in the World Cup. He did not know if he would be fit enough, and he did not want to just make up numbers. He also didn't want to deny a younger player the opportunity.
KELVIN: That's just a footballer being honest. He knows how he feels, he knows his situation.

.......Nothing more needs to be said. We go leave this right dey.

WN: Your colleague Clayton Ince was a witness for Mike Berry, and he testified against you in court. How do you feel about that, and do you currently have a relationship with Clayton? Have you spoken with him since?
KELVIN: We don't speak. For some reason he felt it was necessary to come and testify against me. I think everybody saw the outcome of that and what the judge said about his testimony. The judge's comments showed what he thought about Mr. Ince's testimony.
.....Well look ting...wonder why he get drop vs Bermuda, does he still have bad vibes in him?

WN: Since they made that decision, have your relationship with those players deteriorated?
KELVIN: All I could say is that it is a very sad thing that we had so much success two years ago and it has come to this now where you have some players, the minority, who didn't make the stand with the majority, when it was a right decision. Some things in life are yes and no, right and wrong, and this was right.
...........End of story, let us close this chapter on TT football.

WN: There were fans who went to the England game with black T-shirts in order to show their displeasure with what is going with the administration of T&T football. The front of the T-shirt says “I support all Soca Warriors”, and the back says “Red, White, and Blacklisted.” Brent and Birchall were presented with jerseys when they appeared on Andre Baptiste's show on i95.5 FM.
KELVIN: If that was done, then I have nothing but admiration for fans like that. That is proper football fans. Those are the fans you want to play for. Those are the people who make you proud that they have that level of passion and commitment towards Trinidad & Tobago football.
.....Appsssahhhh,  Spidey, brownsugar and co. Take a Bow!

KELVIN: Fans are very powerful. Along with players, fans are the most important people in football. Without players you cannot have football. Without fans, you don't have anybody to watch the football. There are no wages to be paid without fans. Fans more or less pay a portion of a player's wage. Fans have more power than they think. Do not accept mediocrity. And I'm not talking about the players here. Fans deserve to be treated fairly. When I say treated fairly, they have paid good money to watch the game, and they deserve to see the best players.
........Amen!!

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:14 AM »
Great interview Tallman.Like yuh finish the 4 Becks within the first hour?  ;D
 I find the T & T public remain relatively uninformed about the plight of our footballers. It would help if this interview and others were made available to the mainstream media.
The TTFF is continuosly putting their point of view out there, perhaps we can help getting the players perspective into the Express and Guardian on a regular basis.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
Excellent interview Tallman!!!

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »
Boss keeper and boss interview.....

We need Kelvin Jack, hope he gets better soon....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
GREAT Interview Tallman, probably the best I've ever seen on this site. Really good to hear the story from one of the integral players in FPATT's conception. Yuh should send this to the express or something, I think everybody should read this interview.

Again, great work Tallman, thanks for this  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
yeah tallman, yuh ent beat around the flickin' bush at all with them questions bro.  and KJ ent really skirt either.  looking out for more hard hittin interviews like dat, from the big wigs...maybe a ttff vp, a hard hittin shaun fuentes interview, a ince...not dis, "so what is yuh favourite color?" interview we been getting.
well done!  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Larry Loobie, who I felt was a freak of nature at that time. I'm not joking. He was very, very good.
...What happened to him he really was good.

KND say how he string up Loobie wit ah volley, and dat cause de man tuh retire from football  :rotfl:.

Eddie Hart League
Is I invent That and make it great.

Spain??????

WHo was Spain Best player?

Larry Loobie the goal keeper extrordinare.

Ask him bout he U14 days when Trincity united used to string him up for kicks.

Boy a day I hit Loobie a Volley from outside the box.
Up to now he aint recover

you aint see he stop play football.

Loobie was supposed to be on the national team with Jack all now so.
But like he never recover mentally.

Tell Larry and Spain I say I am sorry, I really did not want to string him up that bad.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
Fantastic stuff....to reiterate what I said on WN...Great interview... well done Tallman, and thank you Kelvin for your candor, as well as for the sacrifice you had to make in order to take a stand...trust it hasn't gone unnoticed.

It's funny you always hear about being prepared for when opportunity comes knocking... picture the scene as Beenie looks down the sideline to see who will open the campaign in goal...one goalkeeper is properly preparing...the other one just happen to be playing some raising at de time.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 10:55:58 AM »
Thanks. WN, Tallman and Kelvin. Great stuff.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »
Real good questions dey Tallman

Kelvin is ah diplomatic man oui...answers succinct yet still refusin to throw sand in anybody eye

meantime man buss ah "erstwhile" on ppl oui.....'forsooth' allyuh presentation boys get good learnin...I surprise Tallman get troo dat interview in such depth considerin all he studyin was.....

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 11:41:59 AM »
That was a very good interview..

He is an intelligent brother.. Best wishes Kelvin
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
Great job TM.

Nice to hear of some names from the past. Never heard of Larry Loobie before.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
Excellent interview Tallman,it's always refreshing to hear from the horse's mouth,it dispells all the myths we hear from the man in the street,Kelvin you have earned my respect brother,all the best in the future.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
Excellent excellent interview, please publish in all the national papers and on FIFA's website

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
Larry Loobie OMG what a freak of nature in truth.It is soooo sad a talent like that and nothing came out of it.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »
yuh see how ting does happen, just de other i tellin mehself i feel i know Tallman as a Pres man from back in day in Sando......all of sudden, interview, big words spitting out, and ah man confirm it for meh
Give thx for the intsightful interview bredah!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »
Take a bow dey Tallman as 4 d division dat exist among d various fractions a good facilitator in team buildin could d dat in he sleep and KJ perspective is perfect all u have 2 do is do make he and Ince roomates and dey go b aok 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
When did the manager Mohammed called him asking about his fitness.   This is great news Maturana want him back.  That will be funny since Maturana dump Clayton Ince and now bring back Kelvin Jack when he gets healthy.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »
Boss interview. Really.....he has made a really great contribution to our football...hope he gets the rewards he deserves.

Take a bow dey Tallman as 4 d division dat exist among d various fractions a good facilitator in team buildin could d dat in he sleep and KJ perspective is perfect all u have 2 do is do make he and Ince roomates and dey go b aok 

I hear a talk dat two strikers had that treatment given to them in Baharain.........and one promptly checked out and paid for a room in the penthouse.  :rotfl:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
Thanks for conducting that interview Tallman, very much enjoyed  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »
Call names Bourbon but I serious time 2 pull ah dem big hard back men in a room let everybody speak dey mind and move on
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>