April 18, 2024, 03:17:18 AM

Author Topic: Euro 2008: Spain v. Russia  (Read 8029 times)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2008: Spain v. Russia
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
From BBC Gossip:

Russia's players have been promised two gorgeous girls for every goal they score against Spain in tonight's Euro 2008 semi-final by socialite Pyotr Listerman. (The Sun)

come one Russia..allyuh still hav somting(s) tuh play for

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »
Where is Russia's star-boy player? the one who will take this game by the scruff of the neck?
I think my man would have done better to be injured for this game. The stock still high, but not as high as before.

Maybe that is why he want to move to Spain, to learn how it's done. (well not the choking in tournaments part - though he could learn that in England too)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
Yuh can't play football without the ball. Spain wear down Russia, by making them chase the ball.
Ramos, Senna, Silva and Fabragas look a step above. Spain had more players playing at their best
than Russia. Well done Spain. Now prepare to be roughed up, cause Germany eh go let allyuh dominate
with rhythm.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
Heh heh heh.....so much for revenge from the first round licking dey get....it good for Russia...little upstarts.... :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
.....also when was the last time Spain reach this far in a major tournament??
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »

Spain won in 1964 and were finalists in 1984

Highest WC place was 4th in 1950
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
Good win for spain...the game never lived up to all of the the pre match hype....

The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »
Lawd Kandi I know you was backing Russia girl hard luck there they fought hard but Spain was too fast for them

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »
The Russia we see vs Holland eh show up today..tough luck for them, but if their players get signed to greater clubs and Hiddink stays, they will be big in 2010

but take nothing away from Spain...sublime flowing team football, a joy tuh watch

Cesc need to come back to Barca, that is a side where a player like him belongs...let Ronaldinho and Deco go dey way

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
Germany v Spain who saw dat final I taught by now dey would join Portugual and d orange fellas
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
Cesc need to come back to Barca, that is a side where a player like him belongs...let Ronaldinho and Deco go dey way

Why yuh tink Cesc playin how he playin?  He good right whey he is.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »

Yeah I eh taking nothing away from Arsenal either....but come now Palos. Barca? Big side is big side  ;D

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »
WOW
BRAVO ESPAŅA BRAVO!!!!!
not only shut down the Russians but won by 3-0
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
oh yeah and Pavluychenko (the russian Stern John as palos dub him), shoulda score that goal in the first half..

that coulda change the game..

he basically miskick with the goal at his mercy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
A failure for Total Football...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »
A failure for Total Football...

hahhahaha yuh too dam wotless
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »

Yeah I eh taking nothing away from Arsenal either....but come now Palos. Barca? Big side is big side  ;D

hahhaha ... Allyuh Barca men need to f**k off...  have fun in your upcoming transitional years....shithongs

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »

Spain won in 1964 and were finalists in 1984
Highest WC place was 4th in 1950

Let's see that's 44 years of waiting to hold de trophy again.....hhhhmmm....bring on Sunday then....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »
Yuh can't play football without the ball. Spain wear down Russia, by making them chase the ball.
Ramos, Senna, Silva and Fabragas look a step above. Spain had more players playing at their best
than Russia. Well done Spain. Now prepare to be roughed up, cause Germany eh go let allyuh dominate
with rhythm.
Midfield control the key to Spain victory, says Aragones
Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41pm BST 
By Simon Baskett

VIENNA (Reuters) - The key to Spain's classy 3-0 semi-final win over Russia at Euro 2008 was controlling the midfield after Cesc Fabregas came on for injured striker David Villa, coach Luis Aragones said on Thursday.

"When both (Fernando) Torres and Villa were on we had a little problem in dominating the midfield," Aragones told a news conference. "But when Cesc came on we got control.

"We seem to be playing better with one striker than two, because we have more control and are able to exert more pressure in midfield."

Fabregas added new zest to the midfield when he arrived late in the first half and Spain took the lead early in the second when Xavi steered an Andres Iniesta cross into the net.

Spain took complete control thereafter with Fabregas setting up their second for substitute Daniel Guiza with a clever chip over the Russian defence and then providing the killer pass for fellow midfielder David Silva to wrap up with the third.

"We started the game playing the sort of football that suited Russia, playing too many long balls up front," Aragones said.
"But once we started controlling possession, then I think it was our most complete game of the tournament and to do that in a semi-final is very difficult."
Aragones praised his team's achievement in reaching their first final for 24 years.

"The team has played for some time with this winning mentality," he said. "They learned a lot from the last World Cup. They know that it isn't just a question of playing well but also of learning how to compete.

"Cesc and others in the team have the experience of 28-year-olds even though they are only 21 or 22. This team could also have a sensational World Cup."

Aragones said that although he was happy to celebrate Thursday's victory, his attentions had already turned to Sunday's final against Germany.

"I'm very happy even though I might not show it. I'm particularly delighted for the group because they have done everything to deserve to be champions, but we've still got one step more left.

"Germany are Germany and they seem to win against whoever they play...Let's see if they let us play, but it is very difficult for any team against us, especially when we add pace to our game.

"Physically Germany are stronger, but we play at such a pace that other sides end up getting more tired than us."

(Editing by Trevor Huggins)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldFootballNews/idUKL2659158120080626?rpc=401&
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:24:56 PM by TakeNoPrisoners »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »
Just a few days ago people was singing praises of this Russian team,what happen to them today,i'm only seeing comments about the players but i think Russia's problem was they did not have a Coach,they were left to fend for themselves through that game,they never adjusted their game to what the spaniards were doing,for a Coach with the ratings and experience that they have, he could have done a better job than that, even if it's just to motivate those guys.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
I think Silva....Spain # 21 is a flickin BOSS!!!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »
Just a few days ago people was singing praises of this Russian team,what happen to them today,i'm only seeing comments about the players but i think Russia's problem was they did not have a Coach,they were left to fend for themselves through that game,they never adjusted their game to what the spaniards were doing,for a Coach with the ratings and experience that they have, he could have done a better job than that, even if it's just to motivate those guys.

Yeah, Hiddink did seem to be AWOL.  I eh know ... I believe he made his comments @ the half but it did seem that he was somewhat less than lively.

Aside from the predictability of employing the same tactics as Russia used against the Dutch, one wonders whether pressing the way they did versus Holland may not have reaped better rewards ... against the Dutch he went for broke; against the Spanish he hedged his bet ...

I think this game was influenced in large part by his consideration of when the teams met in the group stage ... he didn't want a blow out on the stage of a semi-final match.

Russia used two different central defenders in today's match versus the group stage match ... Today there was no Kolodin (the guy with the blistering shot from distance who would also power through the middle) and no Shirokov.

Instead Hiddink used one of the Berezutsky brothers and Ignashevich as  central defenders.

In the middle today he opted to start with Saenko instead of Sychev (in effect subbing one for the other vice versa as was done in the first game).

Up front Pavluchenko was the constant ... only other heralded difference was the inclusion of Arshavin instead of Bilyaletdinov (who eventually came on for Semshov)

He only used 2 subs during the game ... both about 10-12 minutes after the second half started ... we could interpret this a couple of ways but it did seem somewhat tame ...

It doesn't appear he viewed his available bench as having the depth to accomplish what in his head he may otherwise have likely done ...

Torbinsky wasn't available
Kolodin wasn't available

Of the 8 subs not used ... looks like 6 had featured in some capacity against Spain in the first game ... 5 as starters ...

I think Hiddink was hamstrung by reality ... it would be interesting to know whether he would revise his approach to conform to, or closer approximate, that used versus the Dutch

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2008, 06:43:52 PM »
i started to look a silva different when in the champions league i saw him string up cech from way out at stamford bridge..

descent player.

o yeah and small mag did u see the barca combination on the first goal. big side is big side. better pray cristinana stay at man u
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »
Wow....

Big showing by Spain today. The high pressure late in the 1st half and throughout threw the Russians off their game and their approach play and possession today unlike many other games was crisp and had a nice brisk pace to it....Russia had no answer whatsoever.....After seeing Russia play Sweden & Holland I really thought they could upstage the tournament, but they were outclassed on the day, plain & simple....Let's see if Spain can replicate that play against the Germans...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:50:46 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »
spain squeezed that midfield a bit and seemed like russia technique broke down a little. russia seem to work better when they have more space.

ramos and silva - wow.

Well, if racism is a deciding factor in support here ... then I feel comfortable in casting myself as a neutral.

yuh look to do this at the EUROPEAN championships?  ;)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »
spain germany final,ah said it from start to finish.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
spain squeezed that midfield a bit and seemed like russia technique broke down a little. russia seem to work better when they have more space.

ramos and silva - wow.

Well, if racism is a deciding factor in support here ... then I feel comfortable in casting myself as a neutral.

yuh look to do this at the EUROPEAN championships? ;)

indeed ... :)

the time soon reach again for the anti-Argentina massive to rise up and take their stance again ... when saying so ...  anybody ever hear about Hector Baley?

I've never seen his name mentioned in the discussions about Argentina football and race ...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
indeed ... :)

the time soon reach again for the anti-Argentina massive to rise up and take their stance again ... when saying so ...  anybody ever hear about Hector Baley?

I've never seen his name mentioned in the discussions about Argentina football and race ...

Yuh know me and dem Spaniards from South America arready...leh we call dem as dey see deyself.

...but nah, vaguely remember de name... he was ah reserve fuh dem one time, no?  Cyah remember what position doh...  Wha'z he story?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:35:59 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »
i started to look a silva different when in the champions league i saw him string up cech from way out at stamford bridge..

descent player.

o yeah and small mag did u see the barca combination on the first goal. big side is big side. better pray cristinana stay at man u

Combination lol... a man take a shot and Xavi directed it in...  big side my ass.. Hope we get to embarass yall again next season.. and dont worry about CR7...Even if he leaves he will poison yall for years to come with your enimies.. 

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
germany in trouble.......as i said in de beginning spain taking de whole ting  :beermug:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

1]; } ?>