March 28, 2024, 12:56:51 PM

Author Topic: Who are the all time best goal scoring headers of the ball in TT football?  (Read 9717 times)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Does Dennis Lawrence qualify?

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Stern John and Dwight Yorke.  Marvin Andrews is a monster header too, but as a defender he scored less than Stern and Yorke.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Jeff Gellineau! Deadly on corners, Vivian Manswell cross to Jeff Gellineau, undefendable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:22:07 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Honorable mention, Cornell Glenn's header vs Panama 2 GCs ago...he leapt so high in the air seemed unbelievable
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andrews is a legend in Scotland with his headers it is blieved dat he headed b4 he kicked d ball 4 Raith. There was a discussion sometime back as 2 y he doh score more goals 4 we
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jeff Gellineau! Deadly on corners, Vivian Manswell to Jeff Gellineau, undefendable.

You could not have said it better!!! Gellineau was indeed a top of de line header of the ball. Interesting dat you shud mention the name Manswell. Talented player.

I also rank Ronnie Grey as another great header in local football. Ian DeBruin of Lantern Giants , SFA & South was also pretty good!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Libert Duncan.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Libert Duncan.

No Palos! Sorry, but no way is 'Black boy' a ranker!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !
       No sarie,not Ron La,i've played with this guy for a number of years and can't remember him scoring a header,i would like to add Sharkey Henry and Kelvin Berassa to that list.   

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !
       No sarie,not Ron La,i've played with this guy for a number of years and can't remember him scoring a header,i would like to add Sharkey Henry and Kelvin Berassa to that list.   
Coops yuh memory fading boy ! Yuh know if Ron hear yuh he go produce all dem headed goals he scored for de defence force , ASL and T&T !

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Jeff Gellineau! Deadly on corners, Vivian Manswell to Jeff Gellineau, undefendable.

You could not have said it better!!! Gellineau was indeed a top of de line header of the ball. Interesting dat you shud mention the name Manswell. Talented player.

I also rank Ronnie Grey as another great header in local football. Ian DeBruin of Lantern Giants , SFA & South was also pretty good!

Good call!  :beermug: Ronnie Grey in the box used to put his head anywhere, on man foot, inches off the ground, ah can't remember if he ever sustained serious injury.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:34:57 AM by TakeNoPrisoners »

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
McDigan.......ah tink he gone mad now....but years ago he was real bad scoring header

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !
Coops yuh memory fading boy ! Yuh know if Ron hear yuh he go produce all dem headed goals he scored for de defence force , ASL and T&T !
         It's possible my memory could be failing but i'm not going by what i hear,i played with Ron all through his career with DF and together the same time with the national team,the Ron i know never liked heading balls,don't put it in the air for him,his strength was with the ball at his feet,he didn't even like running very much because he had a bunch of good midfield players who could deliver the ball for him,all he had to do was finish,must say a very good finisher.Could you tell me how many goals Ron has playing for T&T?   

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !
         It's possible my memory could be failing but i'm not going by what i hear,i played with Ron all through his career with DF and together the same time with the national team,the Ron i know never liked heading balls,don't put it in the air for him,his strength was with the ball at his feet,he didn't even like running very much because he had a bunch of good midfield players who could deliver the ball for him,all he had to do was finish,must say a very good finisher.Could you tell me how many goals Ron has playing for T&T?   

Daz exactly how I remember Ron La too.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !

Coops what about Wilfred Cave  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
The best header of the ball I ever see from T&T is Dwight Yorke hands down.

A real testament to de FACT dat yuh could LEARN to be a good header of de ball if yuh put yuh mind to it.

Before goin England, Dwight was jes as mediocre as de ress.

Marvin Andrews is a fearless header of de ball.  Dennis Lawrence for all his height and historic goal against Bahrain is actually a relatively poor header of the ball although he has gotten a lot better.  Another tall one who wasn't that great in de air was Garnet Craig.

Kenwyne Jones might jes be right up dey wit de best we ever had.

Ah hear dis Thor fella back in de 20's was pretty good too.  Coops...u play wit he...is true he was a good header?  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:46:40 AM by palos »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ron La forest !

Coops what about Wilfred Cave  ;D
         It really take a South man to latch on to Mr bound to score,thanks for reminding me ,i would rate him in that category too because it did not have a part of his body he didn't used to score with,Willo was a boss.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The best header of the ball I ever see from T&T is Dwight Yorke hands down.

A real testament to de FACT dat yuh could LEARN to be a good header of de ball if yuh put yuh mind to it.

Before goin England, Dwight was jes as mediocre as de ress.

Marvin Andrews is a fearless header of de ball.  Dennis Lawrence for all his height and historic goal against Bahrain is actually a relatively poor header of the ball although he has gotten a lot better.  Another tall one who wasn't that great in de air was Garnet Craig.

Kenwyne Jones might jes be right up dey wit de best we ever had.

Ah hear dis Thor fella back in de 20's was pretty good too.  Coops...u play wit he...is true he was a good header?  ;D ;D ;D

Much Truth to what you say and I would not argue with that assessment. Dwight really worked at not only his ability to technically head a ball properly, but on his timing of runs into the penalty area. Obviously, with Beckham providing the service it was a deadly combination
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
i could only speak on what i've seen since i first started watching trini football which is somewhere in the 1989 campaign..

I would have to say Dwight Yorke based on what he used to do at club level, and then Stern John for what he did for club and country.

Sorry that I will never be able to see any footage of all these legends you guys talk about.

Thats the good thing about technology.

Our children and children's children will be able to reference players from the past simply by searching them up on youtube or something similar (something better go be around by dat time).

I cyah even see a good Latapy compilation as it stands.  :-\

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i could only speak on what i've seen since i first started watching trini football which is somewhere in the 1989 campaign..

I would have to say Dwight Yorke based on what he used to do at club level, and then Stern John for what he did for club and country.

Sorry that I will never be able to see any footage of all these legends you guys talk about.

Thats the good thing about technology.

Our children and children's children will be able to reference players from the past simply by searching them up on youtube or something similar (something better go be around by dat time).

I cyah even see a good Latapy compilation as it stands.  :-\

Papa dat is the beauty about memory long before youtube. Then again it reminds us we getting old  :)
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
coops I would say you are right ron la never like heading the ball he always wanted everything to foot, now roderick rambo gibbs was a very good header of the ball not sure how many goals he scored but he had quite a few defence force

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

I will have to go with Jeff Gellineau and Ronnie Gray..............

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ronnie Gray scored with headers inches off the ground, Once he even hit his head against the wooden Goal post in front of the grand stand. Got his head bandaged and came back and scored with a header. He scored more goals with his head than his feet. Second was Jeff Gellinuea ask any QRC boy how many times his header broke their hearts when he played for CIC.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ronnie Gray scored with headers inches off the ground, Once he even hit his head against the wooden Goal post in front of the grand stand. Got his head bandaged and came back and scored with a header. He scored more goals with his head than his feet. Second was Jeff Gellinuea ask any QRC boy how many times his header broke their hearts when he played for CIC.

Was dat a North vs South game in front de grand stand?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ah man tell meh dat back in de day Keith Douglas was deadly wit he head. What is de verdict on dat one?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"