March 29, 2024, 12:22:15 AM

Author Topic: SOS For T&T World Cup Stars!  (Read 9761 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
SOS For T&T World Cup Stars!
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:15:08 AM »
SOS for T&T World Cup stars.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express)
[/color]

Two-time Colombia World Cup coach Francisco Maturana suffered the indignity of a mass interrogation from his Trinidad and Tobago Pro League counterparts as the T&T Football Federation (T&TFF) pressed the panic button on Wednesday afternoon.

The "Soca Warriors" scraped into the CONCACAF 2010 World Cup qualifying second round with a 3-2 aggregate win against Bermuda over two legs. Bermuda are ranked 52 places below Trinidad and Tobago at 139th in the world.

T&TFF special adviser and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has publicly pronounced his confidence in the squad, but it was a different story in the aftermath of Sunday's nervy win in Hamilton.

Warner chaired a discussion between the national technical staff and the local club coaches in the CONCACAF Centre of Excellence's Nelson Mandela Room at midday on Wednesday.

The Colombian remained in charge at the end of the meeting but his authority, according to a source, was significantly undermined.

On June 1, Maturana reluctantly bowed to Warner's demand to allow Sunderland midfielder and 2006 World Cup captain Dwight Yorke into his squad for the country's centennial match against England. The Colombian might as well leave the team's door open now.

He is likely to be pressured into selecting more than half-dozen players before the next qualifying round, including the World Cup quartet of midfielders Chris Birchall (Coventry) and Densill Theobald (Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA) and defenders Brent Sancho (unattached) and Cyd Gray (CLICO San Juan Jabloteh).

Ma Pau striker Cornell Glen and Miami FC left back Avery John, both also World Cup players, were also mentioned, along with Wrexham midfielder Silvio Spann and W. Connection utility player Clyde Leon.

Maturana's tactics and his perceived reliance on assistant coach Anton Corneal to identify national prospects also drew negative comments from the floor. Corneal allegedly stressed that he was not a decision maker within the technical staff and merely followed orders.

Maturana, a qualified dentist and one of South America's more respected coaches, pointed to his South American Copa Libertadores title and two World Cup appearances to defend his football knowledge and suggested that the cohesion within his squad was breached with the introduction of the country's foreign-based stars.

He singled out one of the more senior Warriors for creating a difficult atmosphere for the younger players to work in. For the most part, the Pro League coaches argued that the T&TFF still lacked a proper structure to identify and develop players at youth level.

It would not have been music to the ears of technical director Lincoln Phillips, who did not attend, although it may add credence to early criticisms from the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

Warner was said to have acknowledged the need to improve the long-term structure of the organisation, but seemed more interested in saving the present campaign. It could mean a shock recall for Birchall and Sancho, who apparently suffered more than their teammates for their role in the World Cup players' legal action against the Federation.

Maturana supposedly pointed to the lack of playing time for both players in the 2007/08 English club season. However, a Pro League coach pointed out that teenage midfielder Khaleem Hyland was also not playing competitive domestic football.

It was suggested, too, that Sancho could return to the Pro League to ensure he is match fit for the next qualifying round. The T&TFF hope to schedule as many as five friendly matches before their opening semifinal round group match away to Cuba on August 20.

South American neighbours Venezuela are touted as possible opponents, along with Honduras, El Salvador and Suriname. Maturana should still be on the bench-unless the Colombian opts to fall on his own sword. But the squad that struggled to out-do Bermuda is likely to undergo major surgery over the coming three months.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:26:50 AM by Flex »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
Re: WOW!!! SOS For T&T World Cup Stars!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »
leh we see wah go happen with this one. Time for heads to bounce down the aisle. Bachanal time. keeping my hopes up

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:39:46 AM »
Give them hell!  Is long time overdue the Pro league give JWFF two hard slap, if they do not stand up for football in this country who else will???

"Warner was said to have acknowledged the need to improve the long-term structure of the organisation, but seemed more interested in saving the present campaign"

??????
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:53:55 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »
Maturana... suggested that the cohesion within his squad was breached with the introduction of the country's foreign-based stars
The squad was cohesive before?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:51:56 AM by Dry So »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »
Bravo!

The general public might be collective dunces where this post-World Cup impasse is concerned, but give credit to the local footballing fraternity, in the persons of the Pro League Coaches... for standing up and asking the tough questions that needed to be asked. 

This reminds me of that careerbuilder.com commercial about working with monkeys... just because Pacho working for an ass doesn't mean has has to perform his job like one.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:28:17 AM »
Its time for Jack to bury the blood stained hatchet,you have been hold form some time now,you have made many of our brighter performers with a very bitter taste in thier mouths where they would rather not represent

It time for our best team to take the field and end all this bitterness,in the end Jack you may be a FIFA VP but our love of this beautiful game is much bigger than you,so while you have brought our game into disrepute by enriching yourself,just remember when you are gone you cannot take the riches you have aquired with you

This game is will always outlive you 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:39:09 AM »
Sancho and Ince on Gayelle
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:50:07 AM »
Daaamn, is this the first ray of light behind the dark grey clouds??

All the country deserves is the best players playing for them, and we done so small already, losing the cream of the crop is already shooting yourself in the foot.

I wonder who is the senior warrior who causing drama...

I will not be too surprised if it was number 14. Stern is the leader among the remaining warriors now that Dwight and latas have gone, and he is practically untouchable in terms of selection.
What one man interprets as causing trouble could be another man's idea of standing up for what is right. Stern, if it is you bredda, or whoever, I sure yuh doing the right thing, and even if u not, I supporting the Warriors over any official.

Somebody make a post the odda day about what will JW's legacy be, he has a big opportunity now for people to start back respecting him fully.

B & S right too, we must give credit to the local football fraternity for discussing these difficult issues. Lots of times these coaches have their personal agendas which supercede the common good.

I didnt know that we had technical discussions with the national coaching staff and local fraternity after games though...

The mere fact that such a meeting was brought up shows a step in the right direction by someone in the TTFF...We can all see it, the big problem now is not the coaching staff capability (they have not been given a fair chance), but its the player selection.

Lets see what develops.

PS - no mention of Kelvin Jack and Colin Samuel huh. The suggestion of players returning to the pro-league to get back in match fitness was a good idea.

Keep us posted weary.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:55:20 AM »
I will not be too surprised if it was number 14. Stern is the leader among the remaining warriors now that Dwight and latas have gone, and he is practically untouchable in terms of selection.

He far from untouchable. Doh forget dat he wasn't originally included in de squad against England, and only due tuh de uncertainty about Kenwyne's hand injury was he called in.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SOS For T&T World Cup Stars!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 05:06:23 AM »
Stern was on tv last nite makin a plea 4 d guys 2 b given a recall
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »
Well I said my piece on Gayelle dis morning and of cause let dem know dat d WN IN DEY CORNER.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:20:07 AM »
Patrriot on nowwwwwwwwwwww

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 05:22:55 AM »
Patriot ask Ince y he eh play in d 2nd leg and he say nobody eh tell him y he get drop. So from d horses mouth he get drop.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:27:04 AM by weary1969 »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 05:27:56 AM »
the best news ah get all year!!!
by de way, dis meeting was wednesday??
so how come dis news now breaking, like we eh have no local coaches on dis forum or what?
finally, light at de end of de  tunnel, give thanks!!!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 05:30:31 AM »
Is only Lisana go give u dat info and he doh write everyday 4 d express

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 05:32:35 AM »
papayo!!

this one come out of the blues
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 05:40:19 AM »
Maturana... suggested that the cohesion within his squad was breached with the introduction of the country's foreign-based stars
The squad was cohesive before?

He singled out one of the more senior Warriors for creating a difficult atmosphere for the younger players to work in.

I think this was the telling part of that paragraph. I said it before and I believe it is true that Ince did not have confidence in the team and expressed it causing in-cohesiveness.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 05:44:37 AM »
Corneal was on tv 6 and when asked if d team should b beefed up he ask if d players go come from mars. I eh know what 2 say bout he again d man say he did not know dat Forbes and Roberts had all all dat in dem. He thanks Maturana because he has been all ovah d pro league and d US and find d present crap ah players

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 05:51:28 AM »
Cohisiveness breach wit d introduction of d foreign base dat is oui coach talkin dat niceness. Now we all now dat Ince eh no team man just check KJ interview.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:14:47 AM »
Corneal was on tv 6 and when asked if d team should b beefed up he ask if d players go come from mars. I eh know what 2 say bout he again d man say he did not know dat Forbes and Roberts had all all dat in dem. He thanks Maturana because he has been all ovah d pro league and d US and find d present crap ah players

Corneal really say dat?!?!?
Anyway i done know dis man is ah friggin imps.....buh like Ince is ah imps too?!?!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 06:22:04 AM »
Somebody need to put a cap in Anton Corneal ass and Alvin Corneal too.....

Two real assholes.....

I guess Clayton Ince was de man who was negative and was dropped....

Come on Jack Warner, do yuh special and get rid of them... Anton, Alvin and de Chipmonks...

Lincoln Phillips is in Florida with the T&T under 17 women team...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 06:41:07 AM »
This is the best news about the Warriors for a long time. Credit must be given to the Pro League coaches for recommending W/C players. It would have been easy to big up their own pro league members.
 Finally Cohesion comes with respect and if men pulling stones on the field and experience men believe for the good of the whole- some men not ready for that level. then there is nothing wrong for voicing that opinion.
 It seems to me that Maturana was on the defensive when he started to talk about his resume.
 I told a friend the stuggle against Bermuda was the best thing to happen to T&T- Why- Because Jack knows that the present team cant cut it.
 Jack's bottom line is Money and Power- So he called this meeting.All the blacklisted will become money listed

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 06:44:33 AM »
This is truely good news to awake too

NICENESS 8)
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:08 AM »
Looks good......but my heart will only rejoice when ah see dem fellas on d field.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 07:09:19 AM »
Looks good......but my heart will only rejoice when ah see dem fellas on d field.

Fuh real

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 07:12:50 AM »
Great news...
But ah will wait until ah see it happenening to start rejoicing.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 07:16:20 AM »
Anton Corneal, Alvin Corneal, Richard Gorden, Oliver Camps and Michael McComie will take T&T down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 07:26:56 AM »
IMO Anton gets a bad rap purely because he is Alvin's son.

Too bad because I sincerely believe he has T&T's best footballing interests at heart AND he has also done the work by doing the courses, putting in the time and being a student of the game.

Yes, is more dan likely dat he has gotten opportunities because of who his father is but again, daz not exactly his fault.  Is not like he not qualified with regards to certification etc. He does lack experience but other coaches talking to him have mostly very positive feedback about the guy.

Imagine what it must be like to be Anton Corneal and yuh faddah is Alvin.  It easy fuh we here on de board to say "jes tell yuh faddah yuh doh want no interference from he" but maybe in more ways than one, Anton might idolise he dad, jes like many a we think de world of we own.

I eh tryin to make excuses fuh de fella....jes appreciatin dat his situation is not an easy one and when he say he not a decision maker but jes obeyin orders....I believe him.

I doh tink de son IN DIS CASE should be punished fuh de sins of de faddah, but Anton also have to deal wit de reality dat as long as dat professional association is there (fuhget father and son), it have consequences for that. 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 07:34:03 AM »
It seems to me that Maturana was on the defensive when he started to talk about his resume.

for real - like he come out with "qualified dentist". :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
OH GAD OI!!!! dis is ah good mornin....after hearin alvin corneal verbal diahorrea on mornin edition i get so sick eh...i hope things are shaken up rel soon... ah wish dat imps of ah host joel villafana was mor in d julian rogers mode d man jus doh kno wat questions tuh ask....

1]; } ?>