April 27, 2024, 12:24:53 PM

Author Topic: World's tallest tower rising in Dubai  (Read 3369 times)

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World's tallest tower rising in Dubai
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:23:34 AM »

DUBAI (AFP) - Slated to become the world's tallest skyscraper and symbol of a city given to grandiose projects, "Burj Dubai," or Dubai Tower, is rising in parallel with the profits of its promoter, Emaar Properties.
ADVERTISEMENT

With two stories added every week, Burj Dubai is taking shape as the centerpiece of a 20-billion-dollar venture featuring the construction of a new district, "Downtown Burj Dubai," that will house 30,000 apartments and the world's largest shopping mall.

Launched in early 2004, the construction of the tower by
South Korea's Samsung should be completed at the end of 2008 and cost one billion dollars, according to Greg Sang, the Emaar official in charge of Burj Dubai.

Burj Dubai already has 79 stories, taking its height to more than 200 meters (656 feet). But even after having gone that far, Emaar is still not revealing the tower's final height.

"At the moment, we are not answering. We'll say it (will be) more than 700 meters (2,296 feet) and more than 160 stories ... The people who need to know, know," Sang, a 40-year-old New Zealander, told AFP.

The world's tallest inhabited building is "Taipei 101" in Taiwan, which is 508 meters (1,666 feet) tall.

"At the moment, we've got around 2,500 workers on the tower site alone. We expect that to peak about a year from now at over 5,000 ... And for the whole site ... at any point in time, when the whole Downtown Burj Dubai district is under construction, there will be 20,000 men working here," Sang said.

Some 2,500 of these laborers hired by one of many firms working for Emaar downed tools for two days earlier this year and demonstrated in protest at poor working conditions and delays in the payment of salaries.

The protests degenerated into riots during which equipment and cars were smashed.

According to Sang, the protesting laborers did not work on the tower site and construction was therefore not affected.

"We actually work very closely with the contractors and with the authorities to ensure conditions for the labor are adequate and good. So we were a little disappointed that they weren't completely satisfied," Sang said.

He said the average wages of the south Asian laborers, who work in summer in temperatures reaching 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit), are "probably in the range of a couple of hundred US dollars a month" for a shift of "eight to 10 hours" a day, six days a week.

"They can get overtime if they like," Sang said.

But he stressed that it is the contractor, not Emaar, "who employs the workers, and it's his responsibility to provide them with accommodation and pay the salaries on time."

Emaar, which is listed on the Dubai stock exchange and boasts of being the world's largest property company by capital, is setting great store by this flagship project.

The figures bear out its confidence. Emaar, in which the Dubai government has a 32.5 percent stake, is seeing its profits climb.

The real estate giant posted record net profits of 437 million dollars in the third quarter of this year, a 39 percent increase on the same period in 2005. It posted a 21 percent hike in profits in the first half of 2006 compared to the first six months of last year.

Business cirles attribute the steady rise in profits to the sustained sales of apartments in Downtown Burj Dubai, a trend helped by a law allowing foreigners to become freehold property owners in certain areas of the Gulf city state which went into force this year.

"Certain buildings take on iconic status, like the Eiffel Tower and the Empire State Building, instantly recognizable and instantly associated with the city that they are placed in," Sang said.

"I hope the same happens with the Burj Dubai. It's definitely going to be very unique," he said.

But Sang admitted that he did not expect Burj Dubai to remain the tallest building in the world forever.

For it will face competition in Dubai itself, where the city's other property development major, Nakheel, has announced it will launch the construction of "Al-Burj" or "The Tower" -- whose projected height also remains a closely guarded secret.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: World's tallest tower rising in Dubai
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »
Donald Trump must be vex no ass  :rotfl:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
  :o Whaaayz...dese fellahs building de ting tall because is practically slave labour dem gettin

"He said the average wages of the south Asian laborers, who work in summer in temperatures reaching 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit), are "probably in the range of a couple of hundred US dollars a month" for a shift of "eight to 10 hours" a day, six days a week"
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 11:18:15 AM »
  :o Whaaayz...dese fellahs building de ting tall because is practically slave labour dem gettin

"He said the average wages of the south Asian laborers, who work in summer in temperatures reaching 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit), are "probably in the range of a couple of hundred US dollars a month" for a shift of "eight to 10 hours" a day, six days a week"

you thin trinidad have no osha standards, in dubai that is a cuss word.
men does be doing construction in silppers and shirt and shorts. protective headwaer is not compulsory its optional..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 05:11:12 PM »
ah hear Manning have one taller planned for Union Park Marabella..so he cud sit at the top and see who drinking and gambling throughout the country. All they waiting for is for ex Caroni workers wid they sharp gilpin to start cutting dong the bamboo they'll be using!

Scheduled to be completed in Spring 2020, it will be named the "Maco Tower". The private sector is proposing a name change to honor a true son of the soil and patriot..Mr. Jack Warner!

Here is concept pic...

Here we can see a couple of the engineers at work:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Burj, Dubai
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:58:24 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTF7_Z_G3d0&mode=related&search=

TORONTO (CP) - The iconic skyline silhouette of the world-famous CN Tower, long billed as the tallest free-standing structure in the world, has been eclipsed by a new Middle Eastern monolith.

Burj Dubai, a soaring Y-shaped needle of glass and stainless steel, is now two metres taller  :o than the 553-metre downtown Toronto tower that guards the Lake Ontario shoreline, the developer, Emaar Properties, said in a release Thursday.

The building, slated to have an interior designed by Giorgio Armani, also has scaled 150 livable levels, the largest number of storeys for any building in the world.

Burj Dubai had already beaten Taipei 101, which at 508 metres has been holding the tallest-building title since it opened in 2004.

"Burj Dubai is setting new world records in construction of super tall buildings, and the accomplishment of being the world's tallest free-standing structure is another defining moment," said Emaar chairman Mohamed Alabbar.

While calling the Dubai feat "a commendable engineering achievement," CN Tower's chief operating officer, Jack Robinson, pointed out that the CN Tower is "much more than just a tall building."

"When the time comes and the building is complete, we will congratulate the Burj Dubai project on their unique achievement," Robinson said.

"For now, we remain proud of the 30-year-plus record Canada's National Tower has held as the world's tallest, and will continue to celebrate the architectural marvel and wonder that the CN Tower represents to Toronto, Ontario, Canada and the rest of the world."

The Burj Dubai project was launched in 2004 as part of a US$20-billion, 200-hectare downtown development billed as the most prestigious square kilometre on earth.

The tower's planned height is a closely guarded secret.

But Emaar says when completed in 2009, Burj Dubai will be the tallest structure in the world in all four of the criteria listed by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

Designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Chicago, the tower is being built by Samsung Corp. of South Korea.

In addition to residential, commercial and retail components, Burj Dubai will also feature the world's first Armani Hotel.

Dubai is the commercial capital of the United Arab Emirates.

©The Canadian Press, 2007

http://www.burjdubai.com/
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »
Al Burj is gonna be 1200 metres if they build it.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:24:39 AM »
Al Burj is gonna be 1200 metres if they build it.
"the final height of the tower will be 1,200 meters (3,937 feet), reduced from an initial height of 1,600 meters or just under one mile, however more recent indications (see below) are that the project has been considerably downgraded."
 :o
I hope dem ent get no eartquake oui
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Burj
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:31:44 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 09:29:19 AM »
And all those buildings are built on sand.
Amazing engineering yes.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 09:32:02 AM »
WestC for some strange reason in dey news dis morning  i think I heard dey CN Tower is still the tallest in dey world.

Or was i half ah sleep still  :-\

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 09:34:18 AM »

you thin trinidad have no osha standards, in dubai that is a cuss word.
men does be doing construction in silppers and shirt and shorts. protective headwaer is not compulsory its optional..lol
sign the petion to help Dubai workers
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
WestC for some strange reason in dey news dis morning  i think I heard dey CN Tower is still the tallest in dey world.
If you listening on CFRN, well day Cyar Find Real News, eh :devil:

ok ok serious......I eh kno nuh, I read this article today about the Burj Dubai being the tallest
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:05:20 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
If you listening on CFRN, well day Cyar Find Real News, eh :devil:

ok ok serious......I eh kno nuh, I read this article today about the Burj Dubai being the tallest

aright...duly noted

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »
On city last night ,they saw it just pass the CN for the tallest free standing structure .

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »

with de amount of money dubai have thats all they getting???
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »

Where dey CN Tower ???

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:47:22 PM by Sumintra Buswahroopsingh »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 02:55:02 PM »

It eh dere because if I recall correctly ,yuh knowck it dong at Caribana

Yuh even post a pic to prove it

:devil: :devil:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »

It eh dere because if I recall correctly ,yuh knowck it dong at Caribana

Yuh even post a pic to prove it

:rotfl: :rotfl: ya make meh buss ah hard laugh in meh house :rotfl: :rotfl:
good one  :beermug:

:devil: :devil:

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »
Where dey CN Tower ???
I think dais because the CN Tower is a structure where as all those in your picture are buildings. I could be wrong.

ADDENDUM:
yeah watch meh
"Although the CN Tower contains a restaurant, a gift shop and multiple observation levels, it does not have floors continuously from the ground, and therefore it is not considered a building by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Emporis, or any other architectural authorities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Tower
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 04:42:31 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
Where dey CN Tower ???
I think dais because the CN Tower is a structure where as all those in your picture are buildings. I could be wrong.

Check this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_the_world

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
well ah learn something here today

thank you kindly :beermug:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Only in Dubai - World's First 'Building In Motion' Set For Dubai
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:02 AM »
World's 1st 'building in motion' planned  By David Caruso, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

World's First 'Building In Motion' Set For Dubai

Italian Architect Poised To Build 80-Story Tower With Revolving Floors Powered By Wind Turbines
Plan In Place To Put Up Similar Buildings In Moscow, NYC

Giant wind turbines installed between every floor, Fisher said, will generate enough electricity to power the entire building, and lifts will allow penthouse residents to park their cars right in their apartments.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― You have to see this to believe it.

Italian architect Dr. David Fisher announced on Tuesday the launch of a revolutionary skyscraper in Dubai dubbed as the "world's first building in motion," an 80-story tower with revolving floors that give it an ever-shifting shape.

The spinning floors, hung like rings around an immobile cement core, would offer residents a constantly changing view of the Persian Gulf and the Dubai's futuristic skyline.

At a news conference in New York, Rotating Tower Dubai Development Ltd headed by the Dynamic Group, revealed the design and floor plans of the rotating building.

The one planned for Dubai will rise 1,380 feet into the air. Sales of individual apartments will begin in September, with asking prices of around $3,000 per square foot. The smallest, at 1,330 square feet, would cost about $4 million and the largest, a 12,900-square-foot villa, $38.7 million.

Fisher also said a second Dynamic Tower planned for Moscow is now in the advanced design phase, with preassembling of the units to start soon and completion scheduled for 2010. The Moscow tower, which will have 70 floors and be 1,310 feet tall, will be located in the Moscow City area, the new prestigious part of the Russian capital.

"Our intention is to build the third rotating skyscraper in New York," Dr. Fisher said. "Additional Dynamic Towers will be built around the world, following an expression of interest from developers, governments, and public officials to construct a Dynamic Tower in Canada, Germany, Italy, Korea and Switzerland."

So all this begs the question: Is it real or science fiction?

A few penthouse villas would spin on command using a voice-activated computer. The motion of the rest of the building would be choreographed in patterns that could be altered over time.

Fisher declared that his tower will revolutionize the way skyscrapers are made -- a claim that might strike some as excessively bold.

Fisher acknowledges that he is not well known, has never built a skyscraper before and hasn't practiced architecture regularly in decades. But he insisted his lack of experience wouldn't stop him from completing the project, which has attracted top design talent, including Leslie E. Robertson, the structural engineer for the World Trade Center and the Shanghai World Financial Center.

"I did not design skyscrapers, but I feel ready to do so," Fisher said.

Twisting floors are just one of several futuristic features in the building; the first of several Fisher hopes to build with a similar design.

Giant wind turbines installed between every floor, he said, will generate enough electricity to power the entire building, and lifts will allow penthouse residents to park their cars right in their apartments.

The Moscow version of the tower would also have a retractable helicopter pad. Both structures, at over 1,300 feet, would be taller than the Empire State Building.

Even the method of construction would be unorthodox.

Fisher said each floor will be prefabricated in an Italian factory, and then shipped to the site to be attached to the core. Assembling a building in this fashion, he said, will require only 80 technicians and take only 20 months, saving tens of millions of dollars, for a total cost of $700 million to build.

On its face, the project seems to pose a number of complicated engineering puzzles.

How would the plumbing hookups work in an apartment that is constantly moving? Fisher said the pipes will connect to the core via attachments similar to the ones used by military aircraft for in-flight refueling.

Wouldn't people get dizzy? No, says Fisher. The rotations will be slow enough that no one will notice.

With so many moving parts, wouldn't the building be a maintenance nightmare? Fisher said the building's modular construction will allow easy access to parts that need to be replaced.

Robertson, who attended Tuesday's news conference, said that the skyscraper might be unusual, but is "absolutely" buildable.

"You can build anything," he said, smiling.

Fisher declined to say exactly where in Dubai the tower will be built or when site work might begin. He insisted, however, that factory production is set to start within weeks and that the tower, which will contain office space, a luxury hotel and apartments, will be complete by 2010.

Skeptics might question Fisher's credentials to pull off the job.

In a biography he had been distributing for months, he said he graduated from the University of Florence in 1976, came to New York in the mid-1980s and later developed hotels and ran a company that specialized in stone and prefabricated construction materials.

The biography also said he received an honorary doctorate from "The Prodeo Institute at Columbia University in New York." No such institution exists, however, and Columbia said it had never awarded Fisher an honorary degree.

Asked to explain the discrepancy, Fisher said, through his New York publicists, that he had been awarded the degree by the Catholic University of Rome during a ceremony in 1994 held at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, which is near Columbia's campus.

Asked again to clarify the name of the school that conferred the degree, Fisher's publicists said in an e-mail that "Dr. Fisher did receive an honorary doctorate in Economics from Pre Deo University, but it has been removed from his bio because he wants to be entirely accurate and cannot be with this information."

(© 2008 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »
Is the burj worth it. Who the hell in their right mind will want to live or work there. I think it is a waste of money. They could spend the money on the asian labourers that the exploiting(big time). Imagine in TT the building a couple pip-squeak tall buildings and people complaining. You can count the amount tall buildings that is more than 15 stories in TT. 1 or 2 maybe.

1]; } ?>