April 24, 2024, 09:44:44 PM

Author Topic: Lessons for Minister of Sport  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lessons for Minister of Sport
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:28:56 AM »
By Peter O'Connor (Trinidad Newsday)

WELL, FOR all the doubts off the field, our Soca Warriors went to Bermuda and quietly got their job done. TT is now on the road to South Africa.

Congratulations to coach Maturana, and to every member of the squad, for every member contributed.

So, now that this scare is behind us, what can we take out of the experience, how can we develop between now and September — (how are you coming along Kenwyne Jones?), and how can we prepare, and repair, the environment in which our World Cup campaign must be fought?

Let us consider the damage already done to the environment in which football needs to be promoted and played. The “damage” came in two forms — first the bonus dispute with the World Cup Squad from 2006, which is now behind us, and secondly, and suddenly, the interventions by the neophyte Minister of Sport which were highly disruptive and actually caused TT citizens to boo him in front of the visiting England team, their FA and their supporters — not to mention in front of our team!

As I write this, I am aware that a meeting has been scheduled for Saturday morning (yesterday) between the minister and the Football Federation to discuss the way forward.

Special Advisor Jack Warner has said he will not attend this meeting, removing the possibility of personal animosity intruding upon the agenda.

So as you read this, a better understanding may already have been reached. And if there is an agreement upon how the “environment” will better serve local football then reason will have triumphed, and we will see all of our home matches here. While the minister has been in every public place saying he wants to meet with the Federation to resolve the issues he has created, he has made no statement on what items he is prepare to yield, or to compromise upon.

Please remember that it was conditions unilaterally imposed by the minister which caused the TTFF to shift matches to the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya and to go to court to play the match against England at the Hasely Crawford Stadium at Mucurapo.

What kind of person, what kind of government, would seek to sabotage a Centennial Match by trying to impose new conditions for use of a venue for which the TTFF already had to organise the required upgrade?

TTFF negotiators must keep in mind the genesis of this dispute — and that is the minister’s attitude to how he deals with sports organisations.

This poor minister needs to listen and to learn how International Sports events — especially football events — are promoted and organised. And he must then understand his role in these events.

The minister needs to learn about who owns which “rights” that he so cavalierly claims brings millions into TTFF. Firstly, in order to get England here, TTFF had to agree that all the TV rights — except to the Americas — were for the England FA.

The England FA also had the rights to place all the field boards for the event, and TTFF had to get them to agree that local sponsors had contracts for field boards which needed to be honoured. TTFF sold local TV rights to Channel 4, with whom they have been working since 2005. Channel 4 then sold — or should have sold — ads locally to cover their expense and even earn a profit.

The TV and field-board rights for World Cup Qualifying in the CONCACAF region are sold — as a package —to a promotions company — in this case TRAFFIC Inc.

This is the same in UEFA, Africa, Asia and South America. The Confederation sells the rights, not the individual countries. A few field board spaces are retained by the country — for the country’s sponsors. The value of the boards are a right included in the sponsorship agreement. TT can sell the TV and field-board rights for friendlies, unless these are part of the agreement with the visiting team — as with England.

When the minister announces the “earnings” from TV and field boards, and demands money from these, who will pay this? TRAFFIC? TTFF? Without Jack’s threats — CONCACAF will not permit matches in a country where the government tries to extort money from CONCACAF sponsors and partners.

Anyway, while the TT Team had to fly, at their own cost, via Miami to Bermuda — the minister did send a flight with his supporters to Bermuda. Is there some irony here?

Next week we will continue this topic, and look at the relationships between sports and their use, or rights, of government-built facilities.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons for Minister of Sport
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
Yeah man, let's talk money. Bring it on. O'Oonnor let's not stop please. We have PLENTY ground to cover and this thread could potentially have a lot to offer in terms of educaion about the REAL isssues that are behind te politics.

Btw ah could hear Jackula sayin' "O'Connor, hush nah, yuh takin' too much"... "Dey eh have to know all those business details, yuh go get me in trouble man ... oh gorm .. "
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:55:33 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:16:36 AM »

To be honest, I find O'Connor seems to be attributing the majority of the blame for the current situation on the Minister's shoulders.

He mentions the WC 'bonus dispute' but doesn't mention that it was a dispute between the TTFF and the players for a breach of contract which was held to exist in an arbitration hearing.

O'Connor also doesn't seem to acknowledge the need for transparency in light of the hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars which have been pumped into the TTFF and have been largely unaccounted for.

Both parties are to blame in varying degrees, but I don't get the sense from the article that he's acknowledging that.
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:36:07 AM »

To be honest, I find O'Connor seems to be attributing the majority of the blame for the current situation on the Minister's shoulders.

He mentions the WC 'bonus dispute' but doesn't mention that it was a dispute between the TTFF and the players for a breach of contract which was held to exist in an arbitration hearing.

O'Connor also doesn't seem to acknowledge the need for transparency in light of the hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars which have been pumped into the TTFF and have been largely unaccounted for.

Both parties are to blame in varying degrees, but I don't get the sense from the article that he's acknowledging that.

You was seriously expecting an objective article from O Connor?

I see he say de arbitration dispute behind us. I guess that mean the players get their money and everybody eligible  for the National Team again... ::)

I wonder also if anybody notice how the mantra switch from "We had to give the English FA all the TV rights, to we give them the rights to everwhere except the Americas...

Also, O Connor tryng some serious sleight of hand. He detailing the procedure for WCQ (i.e. sale by confederations), when the incident in question referred to a friendly (i.e. sale by the federation, and he pertinently acknowledged that the only reason the TTFF couldn't sell them (except the Americas of course!) is because they bend over and open wide for the English FA.

But I like what he doing. Connor trying to bring some clarity to the whole discussion and more importantly, he writing down concrete details, something that Jack would never do. When he done we go see how much rope TTFF have to hang themselves with.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »

You was seriously expecting an objective article from O Connor?

I see he say de arbitration dispute behind us. I guess that mean the players get their money and everybody eligible  for the National Team again... ::)

I wonder also if anybody notice how the mantra switch from "We had to give the English FA all the TV rights, to we give them the rights to everwhere except the Americas...

Also, O Connor tryng some serious sleight of hand. He detailing the procedure for WCQ (i.e. sale by confederations), when the incident in question referred to a friendly (i.e. sale by the federation, and he pertinently acknowledged that the only reason the TTFF couldn't sell them (except the Americas of course!) is because they bend over and open wide for the English FA.

But I like what he doing. Connor trying to bring some clarity to the whole discussion and more importantly, he writing down concrete details, something that Jack would never do. When he done we go see how much rope TTFF have to hang themselves with.

By the way.  Not all Oconnors are not the same. by way of this message, this is my dsclaimer that Peter O'Connor and Gilbert O'Connor Jr ( oconnorg) are in no way shape or form related ( as far as I know ) or have any relations.

COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
By the way.  Not all Oconnors are not the same. by way of this message, this is my dsclaimer that Peter O'Connor and Gilbert O'Connor Jr ( oconnorg) are in no way shape or form related ( as far as I know ) or have any relations.
you orrite yes :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »
By Peter O'Connor (Trinidad Newsday)

What kind of person, what kind of government, would seek to sabotage a Centennial Match by trying to impose new conditions for use of a venue for which the TTFF already had to organise the required upgrade?

Men here doh pay attention to details. Didn't the gov pay for the upgrade?

I believe that was the ministry's grouse. They spending money and the TTFF reaping the rewards.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:47:40 AM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
I real shock.

See alyuh men on here does give people wrong info. Tallman, Flex, E-man all them article alyuh posting alyuh making it up or what? I read on here how the dipute between players and the TTFF still to be resolved, but now a Journalist saying it behind us. Who do I believe?  ???

I also read articles on here in the build up to the England FRIENDLY that the government had to do the upgrade and JW was criticizing them about not getting it done. Also, how does a friendly against 2 countries involve the regional body?
Where alyuh finding them articles to post on here with bad info? Remember Peter O'Connor writing for a national newspaper so he will investigate the facts.

Did the English governemnt pay for the Englland National team to fly to T&T for the friendly? What about when the USA flew to England to play at Wembley did the BUsh Regime pay the soccer team way there?

I am confused   ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
...but now a Journalist saying it behind us. Who do I believe?  ???

If you can find journalists in T&T, please let me know.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »
This guy seems to have his own agenda..any journalist with some gumption would mention that any agreement between the TTFF and M.O.S. has to first get the approval of the special adviser...when he starts to deal with that only then would his article make good reading....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »
First ting Newsday is d least credible daily in TNT and I use d word credible wit a pinch of salt.

Second is Peter O'Connor who was Prez when JW was Gen Sec of d TTFA back in d day

Third O'Connor thanks 4 d disclaimer I really taught that when I saw u I saw Peter
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »
I know Peter O Connor from my days with Malvern. a decent player but he has an agenda. Wants to be Camps successor. Jack has him in his pocket. i think though that he has T&T football at heart and will make a good manager - Just ask Gally.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
He cyah have TnT football at heart and be in Jack pocket at the same time...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
Well said MEP both cyah happen
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
I know Peter O Connor from my days with Malvern. a decent player but he has an agenda. Wants to be Camps successor. Jack has him in his pocket. i think though that he has T&T football at heart and will make a good manager - Just ask Gally.

Thanks for the scoop. Hmmm  :thinking:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
Guys, sorry to press work onto you all, but you really need to write a s*it load of letters to this paper and correct this bulls*it.

A lot of this is believable, and may even be accurate. This then lends credibility to the rubbish about the court case.

This guy should be embarrassed into behaving like a journalist and ask questions of the right people.

I don't know him, but he just sound like Jacks bitch to me.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
Guys, sorry to press work onto you all, but you really need to write a s*it load of letters to this paper and correct this bulls*it.

A lot of this is believable, and may even be accurate. This then lends credibility to the rubbish about the court case.

This guy should be embarrassed into behaving like a journalist and ask questions of the right people.

I don't know him, but he just sound like Jacks bitch to me.
He has written several article before and has convieniently  "forgotten" to place any responsibility on Mr. Warner for the impasse. And he is trying to say that because the crowd at the England game boo Hunt, that makes Hunt somehow wrong. As if the truth of a matter was determined by the amount of people who believe it.

If this guy were head of the TTFF he would likely do marginally better than Camps but like MEP said he can't have T&T football at heart and be in Warner's pocket. Warner's agenda is clearly to make $$$ off T&T football, and that will occur at the expense of the game  here if need be.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
...but now a Journalist saying it behind us. Who do I believe?  ???

If you can find journalists in T&T, please let me know.

Tallman you know I being sarcastice...right.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
Elan, MEP and Kent... I concur wholeheartedly.  I am growing increasingly disenchanted with both the state of journalism on the whole in TnT... and more specifically as it pertains to this current dispute.  It appears unlikely that the TTFF would ever be brought low if it continues to receive free passes such as this in the press.

I simply don't have the energy to continue to correct the misperceptions, misinformation and outright slanted reporting that is currently being published and passed off as journalism in TnT.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »

Peter O'Connor is not a journalist, he is a civil engineer by profession and has also been involved in TT football for donkey years, he was once the President of TTFF and was also marketing manager for TTFF at one time.
He writes these articles as a guest for Newday , a columnist so to speak.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 01:40:01 AM »

Peter O'Connor is not a journalist, he is a civil engineer by profession and has also been involved in TT football for donkey years, he was once the President of TTFF and was also marketing manager for TTFF at one time.
He writes these articles as a guest for Newday , a columnist so to speak.

This should be the standard disclaimer that accompanies his byline.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 01:57:21 AM »

Agreed but I guess he assumes that most people who read his column in the paper and not on the internet know him, in the past he also had his email address posted.
My beef with criticism here is that we often attack the man and not the content of his columns.
I think that although at times he has been "employed" by the TT football emperor he still tries to maintain integrity.
Remember also that this particular article could be more politically underpinned than ostensibly about football.
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>