April 29, 2024, 09:32:39 AM

Author Topic: CONCACAF Champions League launched  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CONCACAF Champions League launched
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »
28.1.08 - CONCACAF announced today the official launch of the new continental club championship, the CONCACAF Champions League which will commence in August 2008. The CONCACAF Champions League will replace the Champions’ Cup which will cease to exist after the 2008 edition.
The CONCACAF Champions League will see a Confederation record number of 24 teams from all sectors of the CONCACAF region participating. The preliminary round begins in August 2008 with the first CONCACAF Champions League winner to be crowned in late April 2009.

The CONCACAF Champions League will feature four teams from Mexico and USA; three Caribbean sides; two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama; and one representative coming from Canada, Belize, and Nicaragua.

Eight clubs (two Mexican, two USA, one each from Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador) will be seeded and progress directly to the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League, while the Caribbean slots have been increased to three teams for this event.

The remaining 16 teams will be paired in eight home-and-away preliminary match-ups taking place from 26-28 August and 2-4 September.

The preliminary round winners will join the other eight seeded teams in the group stage that consists of four groups of four. All the teams in each group will play each other in a round-robin system during six match dates (three home games, three away games) from 16 September – 30 October.

The top two clubs from each group will advance to the knock out phase playing home-and-away elimination. The quarterfinals commence in February 2009; semifinals begin in March; and the Finals will take place in late April.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the CONCACAF’s representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup.

2008-09 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Calendar of Events
End July: All qualification completed, draw for preliminary round
26-28 August: Preliminary Round, First-legs
2-4 September: Preliminary Round, Second-legs
Early September: Group Stage Schedule Announced
16-18 September: Group Stage – Match Day 1
23-25 September: Group Stage – Match Day 2
30 September – 2 October: Group Stage – Match Day 3
7-9 October: Group Stage – Match Day 4
21-23 October: Group Stage – Match Day 5
28-30 October: Group Stage – Match Day 6

24-26 February: Quarterfinals, First-legs
3-5 March: Quarterfinals, Second-legs
17-19 March: Semifinals, First-legs
7-9 April: Semifinals, Second-legs
21-23 April: Final, First-leg
28-30 April: Final, Second-leg
December: FIFA Club World Cup
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF Champions League launched
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »
I hope the small clubs can pay the travel expenses.
Or will that be subsidised?
Simpaul's goin and handle everybody nah?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »
this tournament looking rel nice but they way this thing setup USA and Mexico have rel teams  :o
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:33:39 PM »
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:58:09 PM »

At the conference, Chuck Blazer said that dey getting money from FIFA that would be used to assist de teams wit travelling etc. He say dey also sign a deal wit Univision, which should bring in plenty cash. Miller Beer has also signed up as a sponsor.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »
like how things sounding
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline spects

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:03:09 PM »
Is this league based only on the champions league part or is there a uefa part too for teams that don't make it  to the knock stages  just asking? also how are we to pick these three teams from the caribbean some form of tournament if so when will this take place just asking?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
Is this league based only on the champions league part or is there a uefa part too for teams that don't make it  to the knock stages  just asking? also how are we to pick these three teams from the caribbean some form of tournament if so when will this take place just asking?

Nah, dey eh mention nutten about a UEFA part. I eh tink dat would be a good idea, because it go be too much football, plus it might be watered down. I believe the 3 CFU teams will be the top 3 teams from the CFU Club Championship. Therefore, the three CFU teams for the first edition of the CONCACAF Champions League will be Harbour View FC, Joe Public, and San Juan Jabloteh/Puerto Rico Islanders.

Offline spects

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
I don't agree it will be too much football, but it may be let me explain we sometimes wonder why overseas players are better than locals it is because of this " too much football " overseas players in the prem. play about three to four tournaments plus uefa and chams.leagues plus for their various countries where they play against all of the top players plenty exposure to all styles.This keeps them at peak form.We in T+T are not accustom to so much international games at the club level so this would be nice more so for our locals devolopment yes it may be watered down but that should only be so for a few years and in time we may not have to depend too much on overseas players or their managers.

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »

That Real funny sah

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »
sounds gud tuh me...ah hope it will be ah success
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »
I don't agree it will be too much football, but it may be let me explain we sometimes wonder why overseas players are better than locals it is because of this " too much football " overseas players in the prem.
When I say too much football, I am including things like scheduling conflicts among the various leagues and international tournaments in CONCACAF, the money needed to run the additional tournaments, the level of the clubs that would be involved in an additional tournament. This is not about T&T alone. Remember, clubs in Mexico have an Apertura and a Clausara, plus dey play in de Copa Nissan Sudamericana. This Champions League is a great step forward, and CONCACAF does not need to bite off more than they can chew.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
The physical requirements needed to run with these CONCACAF teams alone should encourage local coaches to place more emphasis on cardio and strength training so  we don't run out on the field with a setta nashy players who will get bounced around and runover. Look like JW finally get it right.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
I think the new format is better. I am not worried about the CA teams and Mex. teams. Unlike TT, they will find money for the club teams. They are the real ball-jumbies. In TT, Jabloteh, Connection and Jo Pub. should not have problem with travelling expenses. Their sponsors have money. JA and Haiti clubs have money to travel. The smaller islands will have problems with travel expenses.
         The top TT should really put a lot of emphasis on this tournament, seeing the present national team WC campaign is very dubious to say the least. At least the clubs have their players everyday to practice. If they are successful, they can go to Japan for the Toyota cup. At least Jack can't tell them who to pick etc.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »
this is good...why 2 teams from panama ??

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
I like this initiative but I'm wondering how come the caribbean only gets three spots? Im guessin they think the caribean so small they could treat it as one country, hence giving Usa and mex 2 spots each ???

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I like this initiative but I'm wondering how come the caribbean only gets three spots? Im guessin they think the caribean so small they could treat it as one country, hence giving Usa and mex 2 spots each ???
Giving the Caribbean 3 spots maintains the same ratio as the CONCACAF Champions' Cup where the Caribbean has 1 spot out of 8.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 10:02:14 PM »
I think this Champions League is a great idea...really hope it has the financial backing so that it's not here for 3-4 years then runs into trouble. This will help raise d profile of concacaf because all the other continents have a Champions League tournament so this brings us up to that level. I watch almost any football game that I can at whatever level and would much rather watch a concacaf champions league than say the Asian version. I heard Univision gonna b bringin it on tv, and hopefully FSC or GolTV might do an English broadcast as well. Would love seeing the Trini teams on tv because I always read you guys posts on d local football and can't jump in.
This competition should also raise the profile of players in the region, not just Trini. Scouts would have a much easier time watchng players in the region and we might send a few more Marquez, Suazo, Jones, Dempsey etc to Europe.
In terms of d Trini players Spects also said something in a line that I was thinking myself which would be beneficial
We in T+T are not accustom to so much international games at the club level so this would be nice more so for our locals devolopment
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 12:17:30 AM »
Fellars this is what a man say on another thread about we level...

Other than the Mexican and MLS teams who really has a chance to win this? All the central american domestic leagues are weak and most carribean leagues are semi pro at best......In my opinion very few games will actually be worth watching.......they should just look to extend into the libertadores cup

:-[ :-[ >:( >:(

What r u all thoughts with respect to this statement?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »

Other than the Mexican and MLS teams who really has a chance to win this? All the central american domestic leagues are weak and most carribean leagues are semi pro at best......In my opinion very few games will actually be worth watching.......they should just look to extend into the libertadores cup

Based on recent of CONCACAF club tournaments, the most likely winner will either be a Mexican or Costa Rican club The MLS teams should also go far. Also, don't discount the Honduran teams.

Yes, I imagine that a certain portion of games may be of low quality, but the hope is that exposure to a higher level of opposition would help to raise the overall standard of play and professionalism. Many football tournaments suffer from the same thing, whether it be the UEFA Champions League, World Cup, Oceania World Cup Qualifiers etc.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
If money and power wasn't the motivating factor behind everything in FIFA, I feel the whole concacaf region heading into a merging with Conmebol soon. Or at least North and Central America, with the Caribbean becoming a  'half a spot' federation like Oceania.

The winners of the Concaf tournament already plays in the Libertadores Cuo right? Because I know MLS and Mexican teams have participated in the past. Or were they invited based on their local league placing rather than the Concacaf tournament?

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »
The only potential problem I foresee, is will the Mexican Teams take the competition seriously as they now have to play even more games. Mexico has always considerd themselves above the rest of Concacaf (and rightly so most years). I have never found Mexican teams really take Concacaf club football seriously, even back when I lived in T&T (70's, 80's and early 90's) Mexican side usually used to come to T&T at half strength sometimes even less! I find that ever since they have entered the South American 'Copa's' they have treated the regional comp with even more disdane. Still, I prefer this new format as the rest of the Central American team's (cept maybe MLS!) should at least take T&T sides seriously. This and the extended exposure to teams from higher quality leagues can only be positive for our local clubs and players.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 09:29:07 AM »
The winners of the Concaf tournament already plays in the Libertadores Cuo right? Because I know MLS and Mexican teams have participated in the past. Or were they invited based on their local league placing rather than the Concacaf tournament?

Since 2005, CONCACAF club teams have been invited to participate in the Copa Sudamericana. One of them is the runner-up in CONCACAF Champions' Cup. Only Mexican teams have been invited to play in the Copa Libertadores.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »

How many early rounds Digicel Cup games did you see?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 01:55:06 AM »
Today on FSC I saw the champions cup being advertised for next month..Now if I am not mistaken that means Joe Public will be in action next month..So what is McComie currently doing to get Public prepared for this competition?...and who would Public be facing in their first game? Now am not 100% sure of how this tournament is taking place..not sure if any of our teams is even taking part (or maybe its just the current Caribbean club champions playing in the first edition starting next month)..So again I ask.. if Public is taking part in the first edition which begins next month then what are the measures McComie is currently taking to make sure they are prepared for battle?..After all, Joe Public would be reppin T&T...Also, Is Jabloteh taking part in the first edition of this tournament?...and what is the venue for the final of this tournament?.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 06:11:16 AM »
Today on FSC I saw the champions cup being advertised for next month..Now if I am not mistaken that means Joe Public will be in action next month..So what is McComie currently doing to get Public prepared for this competition?...and who would Public be facing in their first game? Now am not 100% sure of how this tournament is taking place..not sure if any of our teams is even taking part (or maybe its just the current Caribbean club champions playing in the first edition starting next month)..So again I ask.. if Public is taking part in the first edition which begins next month then what are the measures McComie is currently taking to make sure they are prepared for battle?..After all, Joe Public would be reppin T&T...Also, Is Jabloteh taking part in the first edition of this tournament?...and what is the venue for the final of this tournament?.

Ni thats the  champions cup which HV from out of ja will play in cause the won in trinidad ... that is being phased out fro the champions league with will include joe ublic and will begin later this year
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
    • Professional Audio Sales & Live Event Production
***CONCACAF Champions League!*** a reality beginning 2008-2009
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »

well well well, a CONCACAF Champions League™! yeah I was stunned too  :o .

Its all set and ready to go, almost. But unlike the EUFA Champions League the finals will be a home-and-away affair in late April 2009. The CONCACAF Champions League™ winner will qualify as the CONCACAF representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup.

here are the preliminary match-ups (Eight seeded teams-see below-are through to the Group Stage). Home team listed first for each leg.

First-Leg (26-28 August 2008)
CD Municipal/Deportivo Jalapa* – San Francisco FC
Joe Public FC of Trinidad & Tobago – New England Revolution
LD Alajuelense – Puerto Rico Islanders
CD SC Cruz Azul – Hankook Verdes
Harbour View FC of Jamaica – Pumas UNAM
Tauro FC – Chivas USA
Canadian Champion** – Nicaraguan Champion**
CD Isidro Metapan – CD Olimpia/CD Marathon*

Second-Leg (2-4 September 2008)
San Francisco FC – CD Municipal/Deportivo Jalapa
New England Revolution – Joe Public FC of Trinidad & Tobago
Puerto Rico Islanders – LD Alajuelense
Hankook Verdes – CD SC Cruz Azul
Pumas UNAM – Harbour View FC of Jamaica
Chivas USA – Tauro FC
Nicaraguan Champion** – Canadian Champion**
CD Olimpia/CD Marathon – CD Isidro Metapan

*playoff game to decide, winner advances to group stage (and is seeded) and loser plays in preliminaries.
**Yet to be determined

Eight seeded teams – Group Stage
Atlante FC
Club Santos Laguna

Houston Dynamo
D.C. United

Deportivo Saprissa
CD Luis Angel Firpo

Municipal/Deportivo Jalapa*
CD Olimpia/CD Marathon*

*Playoff winner advances to group stage, while the loser can still advance through the preliminary round.

I must say this is very intriguing, lets see if the fans and sponsors follow the CONCACAF Champions League like they do the european version.

more here>> http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4171

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
Re: ***CONCACAF Champions League!*** a reality beginning 2008-2009
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »

YES is new! this would be the 1st CONCACAF Champions League (2008-2009 season).

For this inaugural Concacaf Champions League both the USA & Mexico get to field 4 teams. caribbean (CFU) gets three, Belize 1, 2 each to Guatemala, Honduras, Coasta Rica, El Salvador & Panama.

when I find some time I'll do the research and post some more about all the leagues involved.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
Re: ***CONCACAF Champions League!*** a reality beginning 2008-2009
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »
Here's breakdown of the Lower football (soccer) leagues in the US of A.
Maybe someone else can post details and links to the T&T league.

Whilst we are all familiar with the 16 team MLS-for the most part,
There's a First Division comprising 11 teams including Miami FC Blues,
Vancouver Whitcaps, Puerto Rico Islanders and thr Rochester Rhinos.

A Second Devision which has 10 teams including Crystal Palace Baltimore,
Bermuda Hodges, Pittsburg Riverhounds and the Real Maryland Monarchs.

There is also a huge "Premier Development League" with ten Divisions in
four conferences: Eastern, Western, Soutern & Central with a total of
67 teams. I suppose the LFCNY area is the Notheast Division comprising
the Brooklyn Knights, Long Island Rough Riders, New Jersey Rangers,
Newark Ironbound Express, Ocean City Barons and the Westchester Flames.

The Brooklyn Knights are in the middle of their 16 game season. their home
ground is Aviator Field, which is located within Floyd Bennett field at
50 Aviation Rd, off Flat Bush Avenue, next home game is on July 6th, 5pm

The USL also features a Women's League, W-League, with 41 teams in
three Conferences; Eastern with the Atlantic & Northeast Divisions, Central
with a Midwest & Northern Division and a Western Conference with 7 teams.

Feeding the club system is a youth league, the Super Y-League, with 101 teams
including the "Super 20". Most Y league teams feature a Boys & a Girls squad.

For specific details about teams, schedules and so on please
go here http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/index_E.html

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:30:20 PM by darrel3000 »
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
thanks darrel3000. 3 spots for the caribbean. let's see what pro league can do - 2 would be a good showing. great breakdown of the us development system - wonder how caribbean leagues rank in relation ???  pro league still have some ways to go before being a feeder league to english championship or 2nd division leagues in europe.

1]; } ?>