April 23, 2024, 12:06:10 PM

Author Topic: You can play with style and win?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
You can play with style and win?
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:24:33 AM »

Vital Football

Will Spains triumph in the European Championships lead to a wider change in tactical thinking? It is thought that international tournaments have a bearing on tactics at club level. Just as Ramseys 'wingless wonders` of '66 affected coaching philosophy for sometime the pragmatic, percentage football of Greece in the 2004 Euros and Italy in the 2006 World Cup consolidated the view among many coaches that defensive resilience, tactical organisation and physical effort were the only worthwhile match winning qualities. This last tournament was a generally far more watchable event than the one 4 years earlier. With some admiration for the Dutch game qualified by their earlier exit it is good to see that Spains triumph in playing a quick passing game with high possession and ball retention has won hearts - but has it won minds?

Jose Mourinho is an uncompromising advocate of the efficient style of football, which has proved very successful for him. He has also been critical in the past of Wengers style of play branding his 'beautiful game` as a 'losing game`. But ultimately it was the quality of his product and not a lack of success that cost him his job.

There are now commercial pressures to produce not just winning football but winning football with entertainment value. Arsenal has won admirers over the last 3 years but not trophies. That has brought commercial success up to a point but ultimately needs the reinforcement of medals to sustain it. On the other hand simply winning trophies by grinding out results has a more limited commercial impact - a fact recognised by the Chelsea owner and his directors.

Even English TV pundits were forced to acknowledge that Spains win was based on technical quality beating the more physical attributes of Russia and Germany. The very same pundits who had, in the last season and seasons before, been championing the great British characteristics of grit and determination and endorsing physical play as 'part of the game`. Their conversion will last only as long as it takes for the next major trophy to be won on a penalty shootout but for a time at least they are recognising that there is an end product to technical superiority.

A little over a year ago, Jorge Valdano, former Argentine world cup winner and Real Madrid coach criticised the style of play employed by Benitez and Mourinho in a CL game describing it as the most exaggerated example of the way football is going: very intense, very collective, very tactical, very physical, and very direct. But, a short pass? Noooo. A feint? Noooo. A change of pace? Noooo. A one-two? A nutmeg? A backheel? Don't be ridiculous. None of that. The extreme control and seriousness with which both teams played the semi-final neutralised any creative licence, any moments of exquisite skill. "You can hang a piece of shit on a stick and people will tell you it is a work of art" he memorably claimed "but it is a shit on a stick"

Back in March Wenger defended his playing philosophy with a remark that earned scorn from some quarters in seeming to say that trophies were not that important "What is important for me is to play in a fair way and in a way that people will enjoy. In a minute, of course, a trophy is what you can show, but what remains is not only the trophy; the way you play, the way you behave. These are also important. To win trophies is important but that is not the only thing in sport." He is right in the sense that it is the great moments that live on in the memory more so than the trophy ceremony. Brazil is recognised as epitomising the beautiful game - so much so that Brazilain players are feted for their technical skill with more Brazilian players registered for last seasons European CL than any other nation. Yet there is no physiological reason why Brazilian players should be any more technically competent than an English player except for the simple fact that they value that side of the game more highly. Once English players and coaches gain confidence that open football can be a winning game they won`t impose the artificial belief that some how English players aren`t technical on their young charges. Who knows what we might then produce?

Importantly for Arsenal, Spains victory has underpinned the youthful belief Fabregas has in the 'beautiful game` and has hardened his resolve to replicate the achievement for his club side "Next year I want to win trophies with Arsenal, this is my target. I finally made something at a young age, I never expected it to be with Spain. Now I want to do it with Arsenal. I haven't seen for a very long time a team playing such nice football as we did with Spain, playing the ball around and playing beautiful football and also winning a trophy as big as this one. But at Arsenal we have more or less the same quality of game and players who also play this way. Hopefully the football will also get better and better for Arsenal and next season we will add the trophies that our football deserves." This is a good time to instil that message. You can play with style and win. There is no need for a Plan B if your Plan A is good enough.

Will the legacy of Euro 2008 result in a trend towards a more attacking brand of football?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:29:02 AM by TakeNoPrisoners »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: You can play with style and win?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »
While Spain does play a patient, neat brand of football....I do not by any means consider it stylish.

They have a very competent hard man in Marcos Senna who gives some backbone to a simple & effective playmaker in Xavi... Senna, Xavi & Casillas are the heart of the team.... Iniesta & Silva are probably the two most individually imaginative players, but their brand doesn't really typify the team's style of play.  Fabregas- mature for his age, and technically gifted....Stylish? Not at all.....Sergio Ramos, when he wasn't making rash challenges or having lapses of concentration, added a little bit of variety to their attack as well.... Villa & Torres aren't really stylish forwards either- their game is based on hard off the ball running and clinical finishing.....(as a forward's game should be I guess).... Spain is a hard working, well balanced team that plays patient collective team football, but I'd hardly say that they put on a show of flair and style...In fact to the contrary, I think their one of their biggest weapons was the ability to lull the other team to sleep with long periods of relatively slow, very often lateral midfield possession before changing the pace by Xavi's searching passes to the two horses they have playing up front... and it seemed to me that their ability to dominate Russia & Germany was not rooted in style & flair but by crowding the midfield, applying high pressure and making the game difficult for their opponents...

Spain plays good football...beautiful football? I don't think so....   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:55:43 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »
While Spain does play a patient, neat brand of football....I do not by any means consider it stylish.

They have a very competent hard man in Marcos Senna who gives some backbone to a simple & effective playmaker in Xavi... Senna, Xavi & Casillas are the heart of the team.... Iniesta & Silva are probably the two most individually imaginative players, but their brand doesn't really typify the team's style of play.  Fabregas- mature for his age, and technically gifted....Stylish? Not at all.....Sergio Ramos, when he wasn't making rash challenges or having lapses of concentration, added a little bit of variety to their attack as well.... Villa & Torres aren't really stylish forwards either- their game is based on hard off the ball running and clinical finishing.....(as a forward's game should be I guess).... Spain is a hard working, well balanced team that plays patient collective team football, but I'd hardly say that they put on a show of flair and style...In fact to the contrary, I think their one of their biggest weapons was the ability to lull the other team to sleep with long periods of relatively slow, very often lateral midfield possession before changing the pace by Xavi's searching passes to the two horses they have playing up front... and it seemed to me that their ability to dominate Russia & Germany was not rooted in style & flair but by crowding the midfield, applying high pressure and making the game difficult for their opponents...

yeah i agree with that wholeheartedly..

also, i think spain was lucky for 2 reasons in that tournament.. 1) that they didnt get scored on first in the entire tournament (especially the knockout stages) and 2) that villa got injured and they could bring on fabregas and revert to the 4-5-1 system which played to their strengths..

spain still ent convince me that they could mentally recover from going down in a game and change the system and win a game like the experienced teams have shown they can do. If Klose had score that goal in the first few minutes when Puyol give him the ball then the final couldve been a completely different game.

but who knows.. this tournament could be what they needed to shake the monkey off their back and they could very well be a force to reckoned with in South Africa 2010.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »
you may also wish to look at Villareal Fc when next they play. they are surely doing their part to prove that you can play attractive football and win. take a look at Boca juniors on You tube or any other medium and also the team that won the Copa Libertadores competition Fluminense from Brazil.
The Mecca of football transformation lies in south america not Europe. The inventiveness and enterprise in world football comes from the introduction of players who have been influenced by or are from thar region.
You want to know what excites young people well consider this ...Messi and Ronaldinho played against each other in Venezuela three days ago ...it was the friends of Messi vs the friends of Ronaldinho ...could you imagine how the young football players in venezuela must have felt to be at this game ?

You think the european cup final  this year provided as much excitement ? hardly likely with the game decided on penalty kicks with so much talent on the field yet so little enterprise.

But to get back to yoiur point ....the south American giants have already started talking about playing their way ...problem is that their players are plucked from them too early..before they become grounded in the South American style ...and then become more european in their approach ...However I firmly believe this will soon change ..South american teams will be able to hold on to their best players or even attrtact back their nationals ...just wait til the next European recession ....

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
Would you then agree that Spain played Stylish, beautiful , attractive football?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
Would you then agree that Spain played Stylish, beautiful , attractive football?

-ish

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »

Of ALL the teams in this years Euro, who in your opion played the most stylish football?

Or maybe I should ask you, were there any teams at all in this year's Euro that played what you deem to be stylish, attractive football?

If so, seeing that Spain wasn't one of tehm according to you, who were they?

Thanks
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »

Of ALL the teams in this years Euro, who in your opion played the most stylish football?

Or maybe I should ask you, were there any teams at all in this year's Euro that played what you deem to be stylish, attractive football?

If so, seeing that Spain wasn't one of tehm according to you, who were they?

Thanks

Portugal at times... When they were clicking their football was alot more fun to watch than Spain- quicker, more varied, and more imaginative.  I'm of course not saying they were necessarily better than Spain, but in terms of what the article is saying, had Portugal won the whole thing, I'd be more willing to say that a stylish team can still win big tournaments.... But one can also argue that even Portugal but the breaks on the amount of expression they could potentially have in their football....

To your other question, in general I found the quality of this year's Euro to be low.....

France- dud
Dutch- blah
Italy- ugh
Russia- two good games
Greece- fart
Romania- boooooringggg
Czechs- nada
Croatia- pretty bad...one good game
Austria & Switzerland- luckily they were the hosts
Poland- WTF?
Germany- one convincing game
Sweden- who?
Turkey- good story, but not so great quality.
Portugal- poor at the back.
Spain- most balanced & complete squad.....not beautiful to watch though.

Just my opinion.

Do you consider Spain to be a stylish team?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:27:39 PM by kicker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »

Most definitely.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

Most definitely.

See then I need to hear your definition of stylish, because while I do credit their overall performance this Euro, I really didn't see any style or flair...

Brazil- Copa America 1999- Style

Real Madrid before the "Galactico era"- Style

France & Portugal (namingly Figo & Zidane) in Euro 2000- Style

Argentina in the last 2 copa Americas (except for the final of Copa 2007  ;D)- Style

Brazil (Well Ron, Ron & Riv), off and on in WC 2002- Style

Barcelona in 04/05 and 05/06 - Style...

I eh see nuttin' like that from Spain this Euro...   

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

Allyuh not giving Spain enough credit.

Xavi get the plaudits but in Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and even Silva you have four players who could kill a team with a single pass. They are also all very complete footballers and it showed in tight areas off the pitch when they could get a knock going.

Makes them much more versatile than any other team in the tournament. Their defensive record had part to do with the fact that they don’t waste possession and/or lose shape when attacking and the fact that they had 4 competent defenders, which is more than can be said for ANY other side in the tournament.

I didn’t watch all the games, not even half but, even though the tournament was a good one, there was a general lack of good individual defending. When yuh see Italy fighting up to find they best back four yuh know teams in trouble.

Spain was definitely stylish in my books.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »

Most definitely.

See then I need to hear your definition of stylish, because while I do credit their overall performance this Euro, I really didn't see any style or flair...

Brazil- Copa America 1999- Style

Real Madrid before the "Galactico era"- Style

France & Portugal (namingly Figo & Zidane) in Euro 2000- Style

Argentina in the last 2 copa Americas (except for the final of Copa 2007  ;D)- Style

Brazil (Well Ron, Ron & Riv), off and on in WC 2002- Style

Barcelona in 04/05 and 05/06 - Style...

I eh see nuttin' like that from Spain this Euro...   

Your perogative.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
Peeps so accustom 2 Spain messin up dat dey eh given dem no credit
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »

Xavi get the plaudits but in Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and even Silva you have four players who could kill a team with a single pass. They are also all very complete footballers and it showed in tight areas off the pitch when they could get a knock going.

Makes them much more versatile than any other team in the tournament. Their defensive record had part to do with the fact that they don’t waste possession and/or lose shape when attacking and the fact that they had 4 competent defenders, which is more than can be said for ANY other side in the tournament.

I didn’t watch all the games, not even half but, even though the tournament was a good one, there was a general lack of good individual defending. When yuh see Italy fighting up to find they best back four yuh know teams in trouble.

Agree with everything you said there.

Except for 2 main omissions.

For me, Sergio Ramos & Senna were the keys to Spain's success.  Those 2 allowed the Villa's, Torres', Xavi's, Iniesta's, Silva's, & Fabergas' de licence to do "their thing".  Ramos in particular was a constant threat and restricted if not completely shut down many of the opposition's wide threats.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »
Senna is a bosssssssssssssss
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
Spain was not only stylish but they are an example of how quick ball movement makes for beautiful football!!!
TnT Patriot

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

Nah I give Spain their due....they were the best team in terms of consistency of play in the tournament (a tournament that was riddled with inconsistency and out of form teams/players)- just don't consider them a stylish team....The closest they looked to a stylish outfit was against Russia (in both games esp the second- the scoreline flattered them in the first). They were kinda boring against Sweden, the Greece game was immaterial, They managed to grind one out in a pathetic game against Italy, and they managed to open up the Germans a few times in what was for the most part a pretty dull final. Doh gemme wrong, they were good- but if I hadda call them stylish, then that's dropping the bar for the beautiful game.

Just because a team is strong in possession, and could outpossess the other doesn't mean it's stylish.

And just because a team is loaded with skilled players doesn't mean it's stylish either.

But like I implied earlier, everyone probably has a different definition of stylish.

For me, Sergio Ramos & Senna were the keys to Spain's success.  Those 2 allowed the Villa's, Torres', Xavi's, Iniesta's, Silva's, & Fabergas' de licence to do "their thing".  Ramos in particular was a constant threat and restricted if not completely shut down many of the opposition's wide threats.

??  

By his standards, I find Ramos had an awful tournament.... He played well against Russia and ok against Germany-  Interesting that you say he completely shut down the opposition's wide threat because for most of the tournament when Spain's defense looked like it could be their achilles heel it was in part because Ramos' miscalculated forward runs left them exposed and at the mercy of counterattacks....That and Puyol's age starting to catch up with him. Compared to him at Madrid too, I find Spain didn't really use him down the flanks as much in their approach play.

As a Madrid fan I always tout Ramos to be the next big thing, but even I hadda admit he was woeful in this tournament...as an attacking threat (as he is for Madrid) he really didn't do alot in Spain's triumph to me, but I guess everyone sees it differently.  Xavi & Senna were the glue. Villa & Torres were the punishers.....Silva was ok, Iniesta showed flashes had a great game in the final. Fabregas was somewhat "under-utilized" but I guess he just played his role.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:45:41 PM by kicker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
i agree with some of what kicker is saying and see where he is coming from.. he by heself with that Ramos and Holland fight down talk though.

when I think stylish, I think about a passing move that takes your breath away.. I think about alot of quick one touch play and movement and running off the ball.. I think about some individual brilliance being expressed... maybe a lil fan here, a dummy there, a breed and a spanner for good measure..

I not trying to take away from Spain success because they were the best team in the tournament. But most of their play was based on patient midfield build up play to make use of their wealth of technically gifted players.. Some nice technical stuff definitely, but not necessarily accentuated by a stylish swagger to make me sit up and say, "Yesss.. this side knocking ah brand".

But then I guess is how you see it.

For me, Spain brand didnt do too much. For another man it might be a best knock. i eh begrudging dat..

Like I find Senna was hands down the best thing on that side and in that tournament, and I real rate the beauty in the simplicity of his game and decision making. But yet they give Xavi the player of the tourney.

so to each his own.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »
i agree with some of what kicker is saying and see where he is coming from.. he by heself with that Ramos and Holland fight down talk though.

when I think stylish, I think about a passing move that takes your breath away.. I think about alot of quick one touch play and movement and running off the ball.. I think about some individual brilliance being expressed... maybe a lil fan here, a dummy there, a breed and a spanner for good measure..

I not trying to take away from Spain success because they were the best team in the tournament. But most of their play was based on patient midfield build up play to make use of their wealth of technically gifted players.. Some nice technical stuff definitely, but not necessarily accentuated by a stylish swagger to make me sit up and say, "Yesss.. this side knocking ah brand".

But then I guess is how you see it.

For me, Spain brand didnt do too much. For another man it might be a best knock. i eh begrudging dat..

Like I find Senna was hands down the best thing on that side and in that tournament, and I real rate the beauty in the simplicity of his game and decision making. But yet they give Xavi the player of the tourney.

so to each his own.
Senna was easily the best player in the tournament. It's as simple as: He is the only Spanish midfielder not to get subbed in a game.
TnT Patriot

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

;D lol...Not really though- it was a kinda popular sentiment througout the tournament.  Even read somewhere that Ramos was quoted as being kinda confused as to his role in the squad and it was affecting his game.  Doh quote meh on that though, because I's read all kinda obscure football talk  ;D can't vouch for all credibility....but seriously who eh see that he was stuggling for large parts of the competition wasn't really paying him much attention...

I was unimpressed by the Dutch- Talk about a team that was constantly being flattered by scorelines.... Ask anyone who knows me (prob won't happen- figure of speech)- I called the upset against Russia...For me they just had it coming.... so said, so done- and it was an asswhipping to boot...

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
To me Spain football is jus like Barcelona football
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:22 PM »
To me Spain football is jus like Barcelona football

the barcelona of this season past, yes..

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »

;D lol...Not really though- it was a kinda popular sentiment througout the tournament.  Even read somewhere that Ramos was quoted as being kinda confused as to his role in the squad and it was affecting his game.  Doh quote meh on that though, because I's read all kinda obscure football talk  ;D can't vouch for all credibility....but seriously who eh see that he was stuggling for large parts of the competition wasn't really paying him much attention...

I was unimpressed by the Dutch- Talk about a team that was constantly being flattered by scorelines.... Ask anyone who knows me (prob won't happen- figure of speech)- I called the upset against Russia...For me they just had it coming.... so said, so done- and it was an asswhipping to boot...

But dred I was saying that about the Dutch since they kill France. France I think played well in that game and Holland wasn't dominating the ball. Just some deadly counters. People might say this is hindsight but I really didn't think the Dutch looked that good either
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
And Spain football in Euro cyah test Barca football when Ronaldinho, Deco and d boyz were in their prime.

Yuh can't count the number of one touch, pretty flick, backheel and no look passes you were getting from that side. Plus you were seeing beat for days. Spain eh really give us that. Sergio Ramos definitely has the flair and mad skillz but was often a defensive liability.

Check Ronaldinho in his charity match last weekend to see style (youtube it. ridiculous). Although it was only a fete match and Ronnie lookin like the 2nd coming of fatman, it is easy to see how different a stylish team looks.

To play a stylish brand it doesn't hurt to have a flambouyant Brazilian runnin the show. ie Ronaldinho Gaucho
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »
And Spain football in Euro cyah test Barca football when Ronaldinho, Deco and d boyz were in their prime.

Yuh can't count the number of one touch, pretty flick, backheel and no look passes you were getting from that side. Plus you were seeing beat for days. Spain eh really give us that. Sergio Ramos definitely has the flair and mad skillz but was often a defensive liability.

Check Ronaldinho in his charity match last weekend to see style (youtube it. ridiculous). Although it was only a fete match and Ronnie lookin like the 2nd coming of fatman, it is easy to see how different a stylish team looks.

To play a stylish brand it doesn't hurt to have a flambouyant Brazilian runnin the show. ie Ronaldinho Gaucho

Other than Portugal, Holland (back in de day) and possibly Serbia (former Yugoslavia)...Spain is about as stylish as you're going to get from ANY European team.

1]; } ?>