April 27, 2024, 11:50:23 PM

Author Topic: T&T Warriors ready for...Tough night in San jose  (Read 2105 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Warriors ready for...Tough night in San jose
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:52:07 PM »
he get tie up with the opening line....

Ian Prescott
Trinidad Express

YOU have to go back almost 19 years to find the only time Costa Rica took a point off Trinidad and Tobago in a World Cup qualifier in San Jose.
Veteran midfielder Russell Latapy, the oldest player in the T&T squad at age 37, was just starting his senior team career as an 18-year-old when  the teams drew 1-1 on January 20, 1986.  However, tonight at 10 o'clock (T&T time), the Warriors throw caution to the wind and try to not just beat Costa Rica, but to do it on an artificial surface as well.
Trinidad and Tobago have a dismal record against Costa Rica, beating them just twice in 17 meetings, both coming at the CONCACAF Gold Cup (in 1996 & 2000).
The one thing the Warriors have in their favour is recent performances-their last two matches having ended in draws.
Coach Leo Beenhakker has made no bones about the fact that he wants to win. But facing reality yesterday, it was apparent to many of the T&T technical staff that a draw will be an excellent result.
The Costa Ricans have more than made full advantage of playing at home, from using an artificial surface which Trinidad and Tobago are unaccustomed to, to the deliberate choice of  bypassing the Costa Rica National Stadium and instead playing the game at the very small Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Stadium, located just outside the capital in Tibas.
Everything the Costa Ricans have done is meant to give their team a chance to win. They want to book their World Cup place with a victory tonight which will take them to an almost uncatchable 13 points for the third qualifying spot available to CONCACAF. 
Had there been suspicious minds around the Warriors, one might even think there was a conspiracy brewing.
The Warriors arrived in Costa Rica just after seven o'clock on Monday night to find out they had to change hotels after the Costa Rican national team had already booked the Melia Caliari. Warriors assistant manager George Joseph, who arrived ahead of the team, quickly made reservations at the Coribici instead.
And after a first look, one quickly realised that the choice of the Ricardo Saprissa Stadium was no accident. The ground belongs to the Saprissa club and looks more like a training pitch. Yes, the artificial surface is smooth, but imagine playing international football on a ground as small as the Marvin Lee Stadium, with an intimidating crowd hovering ridiculously close to the pitch.
The Warriors are not even sure what type of visibility the lights atop the Saprissa will give tonight. Added to that, there is a very strong breeze which could well serve to keep the team running opposite to it pinned in their half. Trinidad and Tobago's Dutch coach Beenhakker was obviously concerned by the size of the ground and the kind of pressure the slick-passing Costa Ricans may put on his Warriors.
Should Trinidad and Tobago resort to the long ball, it is unlikely to work. There is simply no where to go on this tight ground if you do not play neat, quick passes.
It was those factors which were partly responsible for the Saprissa club seeing off Brazilians Santos by a 3-0 margin on June 25.
T&T defender Brent Sancho was among the first to enquire whether Costa Rica always played on that ground and commented that is is about time Trinidad and Tobago start playing teams at the Marvin Lee "quarry" when they have home games.
Yesterday, Beenhakker was drilling his team in playing quickly and freeing up the flanks for the likes of Carlos Edwards. He knew exactly what he wanted tonight.
"You play two touches. Two touches and you open up the game," the Dutchman instructed his players.
When winger Edwards ran onto a brilliant pass from veteran midfielder Russell Latapy, but played about three touches, Beenhakker was livid. "You get two chances in 90 minutes in a game like this. Finish. Kill it! Kill it!" Beenhakker screamed.
Finally, after an hour or so, he was satisfied he had done enough and instructed his Warriors to take ten minutes more to do what ever they wanted to work on.
Most, including captain Dwight Yorke, Jason Scotland, Scott Sealy and Stern John, opted for shooting practice against goalkeeper Kelvin Jack mainly and also Shaka Hislop. Nine defenders, including possible starter Glenton Wolfe, worked hard on their defending with assistant coach Theo De Jong. All indications are they are in for a tough night, but they trained yesterday like they are not planning to give in easily.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 09:59:35 PM by arrow »

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Warriors ready for...Tough night in San jose
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:56:55 AM »
he get tie up with the opening line....

Ian Prescott
Trinidad Express

Coach Leo Beenhakker has made no bones about the fact that he wants to win. But facing reality yesterday, it was apparent to many of the T&T technical staff that a draw will be an excellent result.

seems like some already have the mind set of being content/or tryin to get a draw & not got 4 a win
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 01:07:16 AM by Kingk »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 01:15:14 AM »
Do not have the luxury of playing for a draw, people forgetting guatemala have a chance of beating the states, especially as the states playing a set of new players
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 04:23:35 AM »
Well if de field so small and is on turf better we did send we Futsal Team...  :rotfl:

We have to play for a win..... GUA is still in a better head to head position than us and if we and them tie for 4th then we out...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 04:27:32 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 04:45:38 AM »
A little something i seem to remember (I could be wrong), when TT qualified for u19 WC final in Portugal, the qualifing tournament was in CR and I think Dwight scored 2 goals against CR for TT to win the game and qualify ! So turn back the years Dwight.
 :praying:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 05:12:50 AM »
Small field, no long ball, quick short passing, two touch football.
This all sounds like a recipe for disaster for Big Dog.  Coupled with his poor form right now, to me Dog is a MUST BENCH in this game.
Sancho must play in the middle and Cox or Lawrence or even Atiba would be better suited to partner him there. 
I see they mentioned Wolfe as a possible starter...hope he can handle he stories as we all know what Costa Rica can do to a wing back on his debut.  They made Cyd Gray look like.........Cyd Gray. Even though Wolfe hasn't played in a WCQ yet, he obviously shows something because he has been in every team and training camp since May.  Beenie probably knew Avery's agression would lead to a suspension at some point so hopefully he has been grooming Wolfe for this moment all along.  Should have given him some play in the Gold Cup though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 05:21:11 AM by arrow »

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 05:42:32 AM »
honestly, I think they should rest Andrews. I was in the hartford right by the sideline and to tell u  the truth, it looks like Andrews injury is bothering him. He is moving too slow man. We are about to play Costorica on Astro turf and that is not good for anyone's Acl. I played on that type of turf before and it's no joke on your joints. Hope all goes well though.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 05:58:47 AM »
honestly, I think they should rest Andrews. I was in the hartford right by the sideline and to tell u  the truth, it looks like Andrews injury is bothering him. He is moving too slow man. We are about to play Costorica on Astro turf and that is not good for anyone's Acl. I played on that type of turf before and it's no joke on your joints. Hope all goes well though.

This talk about dropping Andrews scares me. Maybe there is some good reasons to consider it (knee problems, some passing skill shortcomings). However, if you suggest dropping him then try to offer an alternative back-line to see if we are jumping from the firying pan into the fire. Don't forget his strengths now. Beenie it's up to you.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenie is really a boss
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 08:18:58 AM »
Y'all read the express article today?
Beenie emphasizing 2 touches and loud up Carlos for using 3. Dat is boss coach.
We need to do everything we can to keep him around longer.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 08:48:34 AM by Marcos »
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
Re: Beenie is really a boss
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 08:25:09 AM »
True dat...a little rough up here and there would get the message across.
well yes

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 08:26:01 AM »
YOU have to go back almost 19 years to find the only time Costa Rica took a point off Trinidad and Tobago in a World Cup qualifier in San Jose.
Veteran midfielder Russell Latapy, the oldest player in the T&T squad at age 37, was just starting his senior team career as an 18-year-old when  the teams drew 1-1 on January 20, 1986.

Ah wonder what match he talking bout? We drew Costa Rica 1-1 in a WCQ in San Jose on April 28, 1985 and Latapy was not in dat squad.

De squad fuh dat game was:
Michael Maurice, Julien García, Bertram O'Brien, Clayton Morris, Andy Pope, Nevick de Noon, Winston Phillips (Francis Furlonce 75'), Adrian Fonrose, Kelvin Jones, Miguel Hakett, Larry Joseph

De opening lines of dis article should read something like:
YOU have to go back 20 years to find the only time Trinidad and Tobago took a point off Costa Rica in a World Cup qualifier in San Jose. Goalkeeping coach Michael "Brow" Maurice was part of the squad when  the teams drew 1-1 on April 28, 1985.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 08:37:58 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 08:52:39 AM »
You should know that Trinidadian journalists are infamous for misreporting and not corroborating their information. They say whatever they feel like saying, and in so doing often misinform the reading public. Iz about time that we start penalizing these reporters.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

1]; } ?>