April 19, 2024, 08:52:41 PM

Author Topic: Former U.S. Senator Jesse Helms dead at 86  (Read 2353 times)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former U.S. Senator Jesse Helms dead at 86
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:20:04 AM »
July 4: Former Republican Senator Jesse Helms has died. He was 86. . NBC's Martin Savidge reports.

RALEIGH, North Carolina - Former Republican Sen. Jesse Helms, a leading conservative from North Carolina who served 30 years in the Senate before retiring in 2003, has died, the Jesse Helms Center said Friday. He was 86.

"Former United States Senator Jesse Helms died at 1:15 a.m. this morning in Raleigh," the center, which is based at Wingate University, said on its Web site.

Jimmy Broughton, Helms' former chief of staff, said the former senator died of natural causes in Raleigh.

The blunt-talking Helms was known as "Senator No" for opposing just about anything that obstructed his conservative view of the world.

Helms built a career along the fault lines of racial politics and battled liberals, Communists and the occasional fellow Republican during his decades in Congress. He was slowed in later age by a variety of illnesses, including a bone disorder, prostate cancer and heart problems.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Former U.S. Senator Jesse Helms dead at 86
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
Yuh know.. I was reading Bozo the clown died yesterday..also 86

Hmmmmmm :thinking:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »
"At the height of his power, he fought for the values of the Old Confederacy. He resisted the New South. He resisted the opportunity to fight for a more perfect union." - Jesse Jackson on Jesse Helms.

"Jese Helms was a kind, decent and humble man and a passionate defender of what he called 'the Miracle of America.' So it is fitting that this great patriot left us on the Fourth of July.' - U.S. President George W. Bush on Jesse Helms.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »
Ah wonder what the state of play would be if the other octogenarian ... the one in Zimbabwe ... were to join him this week?

Judgement morning, I by de gate and I waiting
Because I begging de master, gimme a work with Peter
It have some sinners coming, with dem I go be dealing
Because de things that they do we, I want to fix dem personally
Peter wait, Peter wait, Peter look .....by de gate (bun he, bun he)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »
Jesse and Strom Thurmond doing the hokey pokey in that big hootenanny up in the sky

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »
Jesse and Strom Thurmond doing the hokey pokey in that big hootenanny up in the sky

I wouldn't even put poor old Strom on de same bench as Helms... Strom had a black daughter that he supported throughout the years.  At worst he was a hypocrite who said/did anything to appease his divisive constituents.  Eventually he repudiated his early stance.

Jesse Helms.... well is not good practice to speak ill of the dead, so I go juss say that I hope he likes hot weather.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:14:41 AM by Bake n Buljol »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »
Ah wonder what the state of play would be if the other octogenarian ... the one in Zimbabwe ... were to join him this week?
Judgement morning, I by de gate and I waiting
Because I begging de master, gimme a work with Peter
It have some sinners coming, with dem I go be dealing
Because de things that they do we, I want to fix dem personally
Peter wait, Peter wait, Peter look .....by de gate (bun he, bun he)

Seeker, may I be so bold as to post the link for that song here
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
Jesse Helms.... well is not good practice to speak ill of the dead, so I go juss say that I hope he likes hot weather.

Well lets hope he is reincarnated as an African  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:15:22 AM »

Well lets hope he is reincarnated as an African  :beermug: :beermug:

Lol...that too.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 12:25:15 PM »
Helms came up in a time and an area when it was actually "ok" to think the way he did- he was nothing more than a political conformist of his day...add as splash of close-mindedness and extremism to the personna, and that's what you get...(yeah scary eh)....so I begrudgingly give him a bligh as respect for the departed (well more as respect for their mourning loved ones)...

RIP

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
Helms came up in a time and an area when it was actually "ok" to think the way he did- he was nothing more than a political conformist of his day...add as splash of close-mindedness and extremism to the personna, and that's what you get...(yeah scary eh)....so I begrudgingly give him a bligh as respect for the departed (well more as respect for their mourning loved ones)...

RIP

Bless your heart kicker ... he gets no such indulgence from this quarter. There are a couple ways to look at it.

Many Americans who grew up at that time have extended the courtesy of reforming and modifying their approach to race matters. If political conformism was his forte he certainly bucked the trend in the 30 year period he was afforded an opportunity to observe and adjust to the direction America was proceeding.

He was a virulent racist. Point blank. A virulent racist opposed to the structural changes.  Conservatism as a simile for racism is often conveniently blurred by benign intentions and expressed longings for the way things used to be. However, the way things used to be is men swinging to rope on random trees at will. Not my kind of nostalgia.

Second, on a concurrent thread there is discussion about responsibility, race and culture with respect to the SEA/former CE ... part of that discussion references the responsibility of the targets/victims of a system/culture to address their present-day condition ... if we extend to Helms the benefit of it being actually OK to think as he did, then we ought to excuse the sons and daughters of enslavement for maintaining certain features of their present condition because it's 'ok' to acquiesce in the status quo.

Why stop there? Let's excuse the architects of apartheid etc ...

Some may view my response to your comment as being too harsh but let me put it this way ... substitute the players for Hitler, the Holocaust and Judaism and I'm fairly sure your 'bligh' would make primetime in short order.  We really hadda be more vigilant.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:38:26 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

RIP

Bless your heart kicker ... he gets no such indulgence from this quarter. There are a couple ways to look at it.

Many Americans who grew up at that time have extended the courtesy of reforming and modifying their approach to race matters. If political conformism was his forte he certainly bucked the trend in the 30 year period he was afforded an opportunity to observe and adjust to the direction America was proceeding.

He was a virulent racist. Point blank. A virulent racist opposed to the structural changes.  Conservatism as a simile for racism is often conveniently blurred by benign intentions and expressed longings for the way things used to be. However, the way things used to be is men swinging to rope on random trees at will. Not my kind of nostalgia.

Second, on a concurrent thread there is discussion about responsibility, race and culture with respect to the SEA/former CE ... part of that discussion references the responsibility of the targets/victims of a system/culture to address their present-day condition ... if we extend to Helms the benefit of it being actually OK to think as he did, then we ought to excuse the sons and daughters of enslavement for maintaining certain features of their present condition because it's 'ok' to acquiesce in the status quo.

Some may view my response to your comment as being too harsh but let me put it this way ... substitute the players for Hitler, the Holocaust and Judaism and I'm fairly sure your 'bligh' would make primetime in short order.  We really hadda be more vigilant.

Figured this might be a response.  Hey I not making excuses for anything, anyone or justifying slavery, apartheid....or anything like that...That's an unfair extrapolation of what I was trying to say.....Note the quotes ("") around the word ok in my initial post...... and I think the extension to Hitler is a bit far-fetched  (unless Helms was responsible for a mass genocide that I was unaware of).  There are alot of wrongs being committed out there even today, and alot of people in the position to take action or even be outspoken against them aren't doing so....and the same way there are alot of racists out there today who aren't outspoken about it and hence will not be chastised for the way they think when they pass away......just some food for thought as I give a departed man a bligh outta respect for the loved ones he left behind- whose suffering I doh envy regardless of what I personally think about the fella.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »

RIP

Figured this might be a response.  Hey I not making excuses for anything, anyone or justifying slavery, apartheid....or anything like that...That's an unfair extrapolation of what I was trying to say.....Note the quotes ("") around the word ok in my initial post...... and I think the extension to Hitler is a bit far-fetched  (unless Helms was responsible for a mass genocide that I was unaware of).  There are alot of wrongs being committed out there even today, and alot of people in the position to take action or even be outspoken against them aren't doing so....and the same way there are alot of racists out there today who aren't outspoken about it and hence will not be chastised for the way they think when they pass away......just some food for thought as I give a departed man a bligh outta respect for the loved ones he left behind- whose suffering I doh envy regardless of what I personally think about the fella.

There is a distinction between forgiving and excusing ...

Kicker, you strike me as a good brother, so to be clear, I was not being sarcastic when I wrote "bless your heart". Indeed if you possess the ability to be so magnanimous, it should be applauded to some degree - although I question the virtue of such empathy in considering the sorrow of Helms' beneficiaries when juxtaposed with the plight of his victims.

The mention of the holocaust highlights two things - neither of them resting in the moral equivalence of suffering.

First, that out of that tragic experience stemmed a zealous and honourable guarding of a legacy. Similarly, I believe you expose yourself to the zealous and honourable guarding of another legacy by being as 'charitable' as you suggest you are.

Second, that we (not you and me specifically but the world generally; as perceivers of circumstance) interpret tragic genocidal experiences differently. There is a continuum of genocide beyond the physical plane.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
OBITUARY from the Guardian (UK)

Senator Jesse Helms, member of the US Senate's foreign relations committee for two decades and its chairman from 1995 to 2001, has died at the age of 86. To echo this newspaper's memorable comment on the death of William Randolph Hearst, it is hard even now to think of him with charity. From his earliest years, Helms's attitudes recalled those of an earlier southern bigot, Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi, who so outraged his Senate colleagues, that they eventually refused even to let him take his seat.

There was never a comparable risk for Helms, who maintained an old-world courtesy in his personal contacts. But that was only on the surface. He became one of the most powerful and baleful influences on American foreign policy, repeatedly preventing his country paying its UN contributions, voting against virtually all arms control measures, opposing international aid programmes as "pouring money down foreign rat holes", and avidly supporting military juntas in Latin America and minority white regimes in Southern Africa.

In domestic politics he denounced the 1964 Civil Rights Act as "the single most dangerous piece of legislation ever introduced in the Congress", voted against a supreme court justice because she was "likely to uphold the homosexual agenda", acted for years as spokesman for the large tobacco companies, was reprimanded by the justice department and the federal election commission for electoral malpractice, and compiled a dismal personal record as a slum landlord.

The irony was that he was often seen as a relative moderate in his home state of North Carolina. His views sprang directly from his background as the son of the police chief in the small town of Monroe. Even before the Depression, life there was a constant struggle. It produced generations of deeply conservative poor whites, steeped in jingoistic patriotism and fundamentalist religion, who regarded the surrounding black population as barely part of the human race.

Helms was educated at local schools and had just enrolled for a college course when America entered the second world war. In 1942, he joined the navy, to be given a role which inadvertently established his postwar career. As a recruiting officer, he had to make regular patriotic appeals on local radio. They brought him sufficient recognition after the war to abandon his college studies for journalism, initially as news editor of the Raleigh Times and later as director of news and programmes for the principal local radio network.

In 1960, he was given an extraordinary boost when the owner of the main local television station appointed him one of the new medium's first editorial commentators. For 12 years, Helms appeared nightly at peak viewing time to denounce the civil rights struggle, trade unions, the UN, Lyndon Johnson's war on poverty, hippies, and any other social or political development rejected by the extreme right. His commentaries were repeated by 70 southern radio stations and, as they became increasingly popular, reprinted in 200 newspapers across America.

In a climate well to the right of mainstream politics in Europe, Helms became extraordinarily influential among those Americans Richard Nixon dubbed the silent majority. At the same time he built up a solid political network in North Carolina, working for several conservative senators, serving on Raleigh town council, running the state's bankers' association, and joining the Masons, their associates the Shriners, and the Rotarians.

By the time the Republican Richard Nixon moved into the White House in 1969, Helms's political ambitions had been focused. In 1972, in a state that had voted solidly Democratic since the civil war, he stood for the Senate as a Republican. In a bitter campaign against a middle-of-the-road opponent, Helms won by 8%. It was a signal of the South's seismic political shift after years of Democratic desegregation. It also made Helms the first North Carolina Republican to sit in the US senate for nearly 80 years.

His initial ambition was to secure his place on the agriculture committee, where he could push the interests of the powerful tobacco lobby for which he had worked for years. But, in a move which proved a stroke of near-genius at a time when direct-mail was in its infancy, he and two close associates organised a postal campaign for a body they named "the National Congressional Club". The repeated arrival of impressive-looking letters signed by Helms and denouncing school busing, funding for the arts, compensation for Japanese-Americans, the Red menace, and umpteen other liberal causes, sparked a stunning national response.

His allegations were often mind-numbingly bizarre. "Your tax dollars are being used," he claimed in one letter, "to pay for grade school classes that teach our children that cannibalism, wife-swapping, and the murder of infants and the elderly are acceptable behaviour." But his rhetoric convinced millions of Americans and, invited to save the nation by donating a dollar, they did just that. A river of cash poured into the club.

What happened to it all remained a constant mystery and, as the rules on election finances were slowly tightened, the club's accounts grew ever fuzzier. Some cash certainly went to the Coalition of Freedom, which had Helms as its honorary chairman until federal tax authorities began investigating its illegal campaign activities.

More than $800,000 went to a firm called Jefferson Marketing. Then the election commission established that this company was inseparable from the club, making its electoral operations unlawful. Less traceable were donations to other conservative groups and to fundamentalist religious figures like Jerry Falwell.

What is beyond question is the malign impact of Helms's innovation on all subsequent American politics. He inaugurated the age of massive back-door political donations, now euphemistically known as "soft money". In his own 1984 re-election battle, he spent $16.5m, then the most expensive Senate campaign in American history (and the federal election commission twice penalised him for using illegal contributions). Sixteen years later, a New Jersey candidate would lavish $60m on gaining a Senate seat, making it evident how effectively Helms's initiative had opened political office to the highest bidder.

It had also bankrolled the rise of the religious right and its effective takeover of the Republican party. That in turn polarised the entire American electorate, as the results in 2000 so dramatically demonstrated.

With Helms's agenda moving into the political mainstream — opposition to abortion, gun control, foreign entanglements, multicultralism, social welfare, educational reform and a host of other liberal policies — millions of voters dropped out and the rest divided evenly into mutually hostile camps.

For all his political posturing, however, Helms repeatedly showed himself inept at the tedious business of shepherding legislation through Congress.

The Senate's tradition of choosing committee chairmen by seniority eventually brought him to head the agriculture committee (1981-87). It should have been an enviable chance to promote North Carolina's farming and tobacco interests, which employ half its people. Yet the state, ranked eleventh by population, had one of the nation's highest poverty rates and lowest levels of federal funding.

Helms contributed his share to this misery with his ownership of rented houses in poor black districts of Raleigh. Some tenants reported that his properties had been without adequate heating for 30 years.
The city's building inspectors repeatedly issued summonses against Helms to remedy a wide range of dilapidations, from rotting floors to leaking pipes.

Helms's principal skill, in fact, was obstruction, which he employed ruthlessly once he assumed chairmanship of the foreign relations committee in 1995, having been a member since 1981. The Senate's arcane rule book offers virtually uncontrollable power to committee chairmen to determine their own agenda. In a private war with the state department, Helms refused to hold confirmation hearings for 18 new ambassadors, or to debate such key issues for the Clinton administration as the chemical weapons or strategic arms treaties.

He cut the state department's funds by $1,700m until the administration finally agreed to his reorganization proposals, abolishing the arms control and information services and placing new restrictions on the US aid agency. In 1996, he caused an international furore by joining forces with Congressman Dan Burton of Indiana to push through the Helms-Burton Act, extending American jurisdiction to international companies trading with Cuba.

But continued Republican control of the Senate meant that Helms could not be ignored. He established a Jesse Helms Centre in his home town of Wingate, at which American and foreign dignitaries could pay homage. Those unable to attend in person could demonstrate their goodwill in cash: Taiwan donated $225,000, Kuwait $100,000, and various tobacco companies more than $1m.

Former president Jimmy Carter, secretary of state Madeleine Albright, Dr Henry Kissinger, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, and other key public figures all turned up. Eventually even the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, heeded the call: in the aftermath of his visit, the foreign relations committee suddenly released America's long-outstanding payments to the UN.

In later years, Helms suffered from increasingly poor health. He contracted prostate cancer and a bone disorder, Paget's disease, which obliged him to travel round the Senate building on a scooter. He also underwent a quadruple heart bypass.

Helms finally lost his chairmanship of the foreign relations committee when the moderate Vermont Republican Senator James Jeffords, lost patience with the Bush administration in May 2001. His defection to the Democrats secured their control of the Senate and of all its legislative committees.

This sudden loss of power, allied to his failing health, at last convinced Helms that it was time to give up. In August that year, he announced he would not run again when his term expired in 2002.

Though there was dismay in North Carolina, his decision was greeted with relief by most of the country. The New York Times observed: "Few senators in the modern era have done more to resist the tide of progress," and Robert Pastor, whose ambassadorship to Panama was scuppered by Helms in 1995, commented that, "nothing Jesse Helms did in his entire career will enhance America's national security more than his retirement."

He is survived by his wife Dorothy, two daughters and a son.

• Jesse Helms, politician, born October 18 1921; died July 4 2008

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »

There is a distinction between forgiving and excusing ...

Kicker, you strike me as a good brother, so to be clear, I was not being sarcastic when I wrote "bless your heart". Indeed if you possess the ability to be so magnanimous, it should be applauded to some degree - although I question the virtue of such empathy in considering the sorrow of Helms' beneficiaries when juxtaposed with the plight of his victims.

The mention of the holocaust highlights two things - neither of them resting in the moral equivalence of suffering.

First, that out of that tragic experience stemmed a zealous and honourable guarding of a legacy. Similarly, I believe you expose yourself to the zealous and honourable guarding of another legacy by being as 'charitable' as you suggest you are.

Second, that we (not you and me specifically but the world generally; as perceivers of circumstance) interpret tragic genocidal experiences differently. There is a continuum of genocide beyond the physical plane.

cheers!!  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Don't sanitize Helms' racist past
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:00:18 AM »
Don't sanitize Helms' racist past
By Roland S. Martin (CNN.com)

(CNN) -- Death has a way of sanitizing the most virulent and despicable aspects of prominent lives, especially those who trafficked in racial bigotry.

In the last several years, notorious racists such as former Georgia Gov. Lester Maddox and Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina left this Earth, and in efforts to show the humanity of both, tributes poured in, speaking to their Christian faith and unyielding conservative values.

Vice President Dick Cheney spoke warmly of Thurmond at his 2003 funeral, citing his run for president in 1948. But Cheney failed to mention that he ran as an ardent segregationist.

I recall former Sen. Zell Miller holding up a Bible belonging to Maddox as he told the world about Maddox's wonderful faith, never citing how he used that same Bible to deny African-Americans basic rights.

Oh, such good Christian men Maddox and Thurmond were.

Now they are joined in the conservative wing of heaven by former Sen. Jesse Helms of North Carolina, who died July 4. I'm sure a freedom-loving man such as Helms wouldn't have it any other way: meeting his maker on the same day the United States celebrates its independence.

The tributes were endless and laudatory, hailing him for being a "conservative champion," according to a piece in USA Today. Some mentioned his opposition to various issues of race, including the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Even the Rev. Billy Graham, often called "America's pastor," honored Helms in a 174-word statement, ending it by saying that folks "honor his legendary life and extraordinary legacy."

But to recognize Helms properly in his totality, it's important to add to the list of words and phrases to describe the unapologetic conservative Republican: unabashedly racist.

It's easy in this age to say that Helms, who carried his dislike of African- Americans like a badge of honor for 30 years around the U.S. Senate, was a son of the South who was simply honoring good, old-fashioned Southern values. But when you stand in opposition to a bill that would, for the first time, give African-Americans from border to border the constitutionally guaranteed right to cast a vote, then I refuse to call you a stand-up person for the rights of every man, woman and child.

And don't try to suggest that because Helms hired several African-Americans in his office that he was still a good and decent guy who was misunderstood. No, he was very clear in how he looked at issues, and if you had the wrong skin color, sorry, but you didn't fully count as an American.

As the tributes came in, I wonder if anyone had the audacity to ask former Sen. Carol Moseley Braun what she thought of Helms.

Once when she was on the elevator and he saw her, Helms started to sing "Dixie," a call-to-arms song for lovers of the Old South, and clearly an offensive song to anyone black. He later said he did it hoping it would make her cry.

The two also didn't see eye to eye on the Confederate flag. She was an ardent opponent; he a devout proponent.

It was no surprise that when she was appointed to be a U.S. ambassador by President Clinton, who was her chief blocker? Good ol' Jesse.

Look at the effort to integrate the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals by Clinton. Helms was steadfast in his effort to block an African-American's appointment to the seat. He and others claimed it was because the court didn't need an additional judge and spending the money was wasteful. But it was evident that Helms didn't want an African-American sitting on what some called the most conservative federal appeals court in the nation.

And no one can forget the overt racism he displayed when running for re-election for the U.S. Senate against former Charlotte Mayor Harvey Gantt in 1990 and 1996. Realizing he could lose in 1990, Helms agreed to an ad by Republican strategist Alex Castellanos that showed a white hand destroying a job application with an announcer saying that person needed the job but it was given to a minority.

It worked with the bigots in North Carolina. That ad put Helms over the top and kept his Senate seat safe.

Did Jesse Helms have his convictions? Sure. But an ideological conviction displayed in the political arena doesn't mean we are to overlook a history of denying Americans their rights based on race.

Give Helms credit for ushering in a new brand of conservatism in the country. But don't let that cover up his racism.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>