March 28, 2024, 02:49:41 PM

Author Topic: Derek King Thread  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Derek King Thread
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »
Where Bertille son is now?  He retire after BSC get fired or what?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:17:46 PM by Tallman »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: What ever happen to Derek King?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 11:05:22 AM »
Where Bertille son is now?  He retire after BSC get fired or what?
.....he asks while twisting the knife

Yuh know King wasn't going and get a set of free miles under any other coach.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 11:23:02 AM »
I think he did get pick under bennoe man for some of the warm up games, I think the fact that he not in the pro league is hurting his chances

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 11:52:53 AM »
He was called up fuh de first two training camps under Beenhakker, but he was cut from de squad after de match against North East Stars.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 01:19:36 AM »
He must be in Tobago bawling that Leo doh like him because he is BSC son.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Derek King Thread
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
Stephen Hart hires Derek King as Assistant Coach at Halifax Wanderers FC
By Gareth Hampshire (hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca)

HFX Wanderers general manager and head coach Stephen Hart has hired two trusted and experienced coaches to be his assistants for the club’s inaugural season in the Canadian Premier League.

Hart is bringing in veteran Halifax based coach Michael Hunter and seasoned former Trinidad and Tobago international Derek King.

Both have worked alongside the Wanderers head coach before.

“Both Derek and Michael are very familiar with how I work and what I like and demand from players, so that should help in the transition,” Hart said.

Hunter and King will both get the title of assistant coach at the Wanderers.

In building his first CPL squad, Hart has said from the start his coaches will be key to the team’s progress, given a number of players will be up-and-comers who are still developing.

“I’m pleased to have them on board,” said Hart. “You want a staff that has a wide spectrum of coaching at professional, international and developmental levels.”

The resumes of both new assistants make impressive reading, with Hunter having coached at virtually every level in the province, as well as being the former technical director and program manager of Soccer Nova Scotia.

“Michael is very analytical about the game. He’s good at breaking down the opposition as well as our own team and individual play. And he has the added ability to work with the goalkeepers,” said Hart, of the former Halifax King of Donair keeper.

38-year-old King joins the Wanderers following several years of success coaching at club level in Trinidad and Tobago where he won a number of national trophies.

He also made 33 appearances for the national team, as well as serving as assistant coach to Stephen Hart, when the Wanderers boss was the team’s head coach.

“Derek won the professional league there coaching with two different teams and several cup trophies. As a matter of fact he won five trophies in one year,” said Hart.

One of the things the Wanderers head coach wanted was coaching staff who won’t hesitate to let him know when they disagree with him. Something he says won’t be a problem with his new assistants.

“They’re both similar in that neither will be afraid to tell me when they think something is not right and how we should adjust things,” he said.

Hunter, said it’s a good feeling as a local boy getting the chance to coach professionally in Halifax, where he’s been such a big part of the soccer community for many years.

The 45-year-old was Hart’s right hand man during the Atlantic Selects match versus Fortuna Düsseldorf in July, but wasn’t expecting that one-off game would lead to this.

“Any opportunity I get to work with Stephen I’m going to jump at it, not only the learning opportunities but also the way he thinks about football, we’re similar in our ideas,” Hunter said.

King described it as a “joy” to be getting the chance to work in a brand new history making Canadian Premier League alongside someone he looks up to.

“Stephen’s coaching philosophy is a good one and I learned a lot from him and now we’re back at it again, so hopefully we will do good things for the Halifax family,” King said.

Hart said both coaches will be joining the club in February, which will allow for King to complete his contract with his current club FC Santa Rosa in Trinidad and Tobago.

Both new coaches will be on duty in Halifax in time for the Wanderers preseason trials and training, with the CPL season scheduled to kick-off in April 2019.

Hart expects both to become an integral part of the club whose guidance will be invaluable to the players.

“I’m comfortable with them taking charge of the training sessions and me being in an observation capacity at times,” said Hart.

The Wanderers want to congratulate both new assistant coaches and welcome them to our team in Halifax.

RELATED NEWS

King joins Hart in Canada League.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Newsday).

Ex-TT coach: He understands my methods

DEREK King, current head coach of recently crowned TT Super League (TTSL) champions, FC Santa Rosa, will join his ex-boss and former national men's football manager, Stephen Hart, as his assistant at HFX Wanderers FC in Canada. The club will begin their inaugural season of the Canadian Premier League next year.

Hart, who is both general manager and head coach of the club, which is based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, hand-picked King and another assistant coach, Michael Hunter, to take charge of the developing team. Hunter, who Hart described as "very analytical" is a veteran coach and well known in the province.

The announcement comes less than a week after King led FC Santa Rosa to the TT Super League title as head coach, and one year since he led North East Stars to their second ever TT Pro League title in the same capacity.

However, in an interview with Newsday yesterday, Hart said King's recent successes had little influence in his decision to make him the offer.

"I worked with Derek so I am familiar with his methods, as he is with mine. This is important, especially with a new club.

More importantly, is the working relationship," Hart said.

Hart and King worked together for the first time as the respective head coach and assistant coach of the national men's team between June 2013 and November 2016.

"I only knew him from his playing days. However, [former TT men's team head coach] Hutson Charles spoke highly of Derek and that was good enough for me," Hart said.

Hart said he was confident in their ability to complement one another. "He understands my demands from an individual and team perspective. As I said. I know how he works and I am comfortable with him handling the squad, or part of the squad in whatever are the aims and objectives."

Given the Canadian Premier League will play its inaugural season next year, Hart said, like all the other clubs, he would like to make a good start.

"...Our squad will be young so it is a building process, not only with team play, but identity and culture."

King will remain as FC Santa Rosa's head coach until the end of the year. FC Santa Rosa has a shot at a second title this season with the TTSL League Cup. King and Santa Rosa will face Cunupia FC at the semifinal stage on Sunday.

Hart expressed gratitude to Santa Rosa FC and the club's president Keith Look Loy "for their understanding and support with this move."

Newsday tried unsuccessfully to reach King for comment yesterday. However, he was featured in an article posted on the Canadian Premier League official website.

“Stephen’s coaching philosophy is a good one and I learned a lot from him and now we’re back at it again, so hopefully we will do good things for the Halifax family,” King told canpl.ca. King will join his new club in February.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:45:14 AM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »
Later for Arsenal an dem english men...well unless Yorkie get that coaching job, should be around the same time Hell freeze over..with the current climate and Global warming, yuh never know..

Anyhoo, let it be known

I am now officially on the King of Halifax bandwagon, with all my countrymen and Hart..    :D

Modifying this lil bit

"The harbour has inspired the club. The club motto Ar Cala, Ar Dachaigh, Ar n-Anam means: “Our Harbour, Our Home, Our Soul” in Gaelic."

to

"Ah-kay-la! We-e-e-e-ll do-o-o-o o-o-o-u-u-r BEST!"
 "Dyb - dyb - dyb -dyb"
 "We-e-e-e-ll dob-dob-dob-dob"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:29:38 PM by maxg »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FgUx8YLv5Z0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FgUx8YLv5Z0</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »
Super!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »
King excited over new Canada challenge.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

DEREK KING is excited over the new challenge he will face when he takes up the position as assistant coach at Canadian Premier League club, Halifax Wanderers.

The 38-year-old King will re-unite with the club’s general manager and coach Stephen Hart, who was the T&T men’s coach from June 2013-November 2016.

King represented T&T in 33 internationals, as well as W Connection and Joe Public at the Pro League level, before suffering a career-ending knee injury in 2004.

King was coach at Joe Public from 2008-2011, then assistant T&T coach (under the joint coaching pair Jamaal Shabazz and Hutson Charles) from 2012-2013.

He coached North East Stars to the Pro League crown in 2017, and followed with the 2018 Super League title with FC Santa Rosa.

In an interview on Sunday night, King said, “I came up the ladder with the (T&T) teams, and then I get the opportunity with Joe Public team. I had a good experience at the national level, (came) back and won the Pro League and Super League.

“At this point, you need something different, a different challenge in life,” he added. “This would be a good opportunity for me to go out there and gain experience. Someday, you don’t know what life has (in store), I might come back, once asked upon to help football in Trinidad.”

King was announced as part of the Halifax Wanderers’ technical staff on Thursday.

“(Hart) approached me, to come alongside him and work. I took up the offer. It’s a good opportunity for me to gain that experience.”

He is confident that he can continue to improve as a coach under Hart’s guidance.

“As a coach, he’s very open to ideas, and I like his style of play,” said King. “His philosophy of football is similar to what I do in coaching. The opportunity (arose) and I grabbed it with both hands.

“It’s a good opportunity for a young local coach to go abroad in the Canadian Pro League. This (will be) its first year, it’s very exciting. It will be a professional atmosphere and I look forward to joining the team in February.”

King said a few T&T and Caribbean players could be included in the Halifax Wanderers team for the 2019 season.

“Right now, we’re on the verge of looking at a couple of players,” said King. “Hart has been scouting players throughout the Caribbean. You’ll see a nucleus of players from all over.”

He continued, “We’ll really like to give the Caribbean players the opportunity to play. We’ll have a few in about a month’s time. We’ll have a few players from Trinidad that would be joining us.”

Asked if his family would be joining him in Canada, King replied, “I would be going up there first and making arrangements, and then we’ll take it (from) there. But they will be joining me.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Derek King selected Men’s Team Assistant Coach
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
Derek King selected Men’s Team Assistant Coach
TTFA Media

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association is today pleased to announce Derek King as the National Senior Men’s team Assistant Coach. He will serve under new head coach Terry Fenwick on a two-year span.

King had been serving as assistant coach to Stephen Hart at Canadian Premier League club Halifax Wanderers but has been released by the club in order to take up his duties  with the TTFA.

King has been chosen by Fenwick  and the TTFA board will  ratify his selection at its next meeting in early January following the normal protocol of a coach selecting his staff.

King is a former national senior team defender and served as Assistant Coach of the senior team at the 2013 and 2015 Concacaf Gold Cups as well as up to the early stages of the Concacaf final round of World Cup qualifying for the 2018 Finals. He is also a former National Under 20 Men’s team head coach, guiding the team to the Caribbean title in 2014 and through to the Concacaf final championship.

“I am humbled and honoured to have been selected  by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association to serve as assistant coach of the senior men’s team and also grateful to head coach Terry Fenwick for this opportunity to work under him,” King told TTFA Media.

“I’ve known Terry for a number of years and I believe we will have the right combination fit as it relates to preparing our men’s team to take on the tasks that are ahead of us. I am truly looking forward to serving the country and the national team once again as we aim to get the country back on track.  I think our first task  is to  ensure we  qualify for the Gold Cup, “King added.

“I also  really want to thank Halifax Wanderers, Stephen Hart, president Derek Martin, VP Matt Fegan and the wonderful people of Halifax for embracing me during my time at the club as I felt at home there. And now I’m further grateful to them for  giving me their blessings to return to the Trinidad and Tobago team,” King said.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
Man give up steady salary and living conditions to go and wuk fuh TTFA

Respeck Derek King.    Not sure if I was in your position, I would have done the same though
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »

Respeck Derek King.    Not sure if I was in your position, I would have done the same though
Not everybody could take a very cold breeze blowin up  yuh cross yuh field. Besides is only so much Trini could run ah show same time. Mighta made way for Jan.

ps: I think this is a good appointment, especially where he was able to get some experience, and now, will also be working with junior and development teams. Hopefully his understudy of Hart will pay off for our local youths, especially with player relations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:57:05 PM by maxg »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 08:03:32 PM »

i streamed the news tonight and there was a segment of the news where it was stated that he got leave from the club to coach TT and still maintain his position at the club, at least that is what was made clear in the newscast.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 09:41:43 PM »
Good and unexpected appointment. Contro yuh gehhin a partial credit ✓ but not full marks.  :devil:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »

i streamed the news tonight and there was a segment of the news where it was stated that he got leave from the club to coach TT and still maintain his position at the club, at least that is what was made clear in the newscast.
If so, that would be almost perfect. Good all the same.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »

If so, that would be almost perfect. Good all the same.

Derek tweeted:

I really want to thank HFX Wanderers, Stephen Hart, Derek Martin, Matt Fegan, Rob Green and the wonderful fans of Halifax for embracing me during my time at the club as I felt at home. I’m grateful to them for  giving me their blessings to return to the Trinidad and Tobago team.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 06:11:42 AM »
King: CONCACAF postponement will affect team exposure.
T&T Guardian Reports.

National Unde-20 football coach Derek King said the postponement of the final phase of the CONCACAF U-20 Championship, initially carded for June 20- July 5 in Honduras will prevent his team from getting much-needed exposure at the international level.

On Wednesday night the CONCACAF announced the postponement of the tournament due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and said it will continue to monitor and follow the guidance provided by governments and public health authorities across the region before a decision will be made on when the championship will take place.

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports yesterday King said he was actually expecting the postponement to come when he considered the effect the COVID-19 pandemic has had on countries worldwide. He noted the coronavirus has impacted on the preparation of all the team scheduled to take part, but for T&T, which has traditionally suffered against their CONCACAF rivals due to the lack of exposure internationally, as well as fitness concerns, his team could be even more difficult.

“There aren't much we can do right now, but I have been in constant contact and communication with the players and I have been giving them a training schedule to follow while they are at home. This deals with boosting players' fitness. They are given a training schedule every week,” King explained.

He said that nothing could be done about the lack of exposure. King, a former national assistant coach to Stephen Hart and now an assistant to current national senior team coach Terry Fenwick, said he had planned to either go into Honduras well in advanced where they could have played friendly matches the opposing teams, or go to Jamaica to play against the Jamaican u-20 team.

“In Jamaica, we were also hoping to take on the top Jamaican club teams in friendly encounters to boost our preparation for the tournament, which I predict will be very difficult,” King said.

T&T has been drawn in Group G, alongside Haiti, Panama and Suriname, with the top three finishers in the group advancing to the Knock Out round. CONCACAF giants, United States heads Group E which also features Costa Rica, another regional powerhouse, Jamaica and Saint Kitts/Nevis. Group F contains Mexico, El Salvador, Canada and Aruba, while Group H, comprises host Honduras, Cuba, Guatemala and Antigua/Barbuda.

King said since he expects the final phase of the tournament to be played early next year, all attempts are being made to get the team as ready as possible. “We have been attempting to get our best players, both at home and abroad. We have also been reaching out to players with T&T parentage to join the team. We already have a good bunch of committed players and any other players from outside will boost the team,” King noted.

Apart from King, the team has been under the watchful eyes of assistant coaches Angus Eve and Stern John, with Ross Russell as the goalkeeper coach.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 06:47:06 AM »
King expresses disappointment as FIFA cancels U-17, 20 World Cups
T&T Guardian Reports.

FIFA has cancelled two age-group World Cups which had been due to take place next year because of the coronavirus crisis on Thursday.

Neither the men's Under-20 World Cup or Under-17 World Cup will be held in 2021, and the scheduled hosts will instead stage the 2023 editions.

Indonesia was set to stage the under-20 tournament and Peru the under-17 version.

The decision to cancel them was taken by the Bureau of the FIFA Council.

While the host nations will still be able to stage tournaments at a late date - if the global health situation allows - many players will miss out on what could have been a once-in-a-career experience at a global tournament.

However, the news has not gone down well with former national defender Derek King, the men's Under-20 coach who told Guardian Media Sports on Thursday that, "It's a tough decision but at the end of the day it's (the pandemic) worldwide but it's something that we will suffer from. We're hoping that FIFA comes up with a plan in the near future such as an Under 21 tournament and carry up the age group a bit. At that age, there are players who are now in their prime at the professional level and I hope that this is something FIFA will sit on with the countries and decide."

Angus Eve, who was appointed the T&T Under-15 in January said that this would be a big blow for those players who have been preparing for the past three years under the elite programme headed by coach Stuart Charles Fevrier before he took over the team in February.

Eve, a former national midfielder, whose contracted ended in August, said, "But, I understand and the players need to understand also since it is because of the pandemic. So let's wait and see what will happen going forward with those youth players in mind."

King, who is also an assistant to the senior men's team programme which is lead by Terry Fenwick, said he's looking forward to seeing how the TTFA would fill the void. "What I am really hoping for now is that we have a Normalisation Committee in charge of football, what we would like to see is that progressive thinking. Its something that we as a country we would also have to look at the development of our footballers at that age."

Meanwhile, the Bureau of the FIFA Council has also approved the allocation of places at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, which will be the first edition of the tournament expanded to 32 teams.

Europe will have 11 direct qualification spots, Oceania one, Asia six, Africa four, South America three and the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) region four.

The three remaining berths will be decided via a playoff tournament, for which 10 teams will qualify - two from each region except Oceania and UEFA, which will each send one team.

The playoff tournament is to be played in New Zealand and Australia as a test event.

Four sides will be seeded, based on world rankings, and three groups - one containing four teams - will battle it out for World Cup berths, with each group winner earning one.

Teams from the same confederation cannot be in the same group.

Rather than a round-robin format, knockout ties will be used, and the seeded team will be just one win away from the World Cup in the three-team groups.

FIFA says that both the New Zealand and Australia teams will play friendly matches versus countries in three-team groups to ensure that they do not play only one game during their trip to Oceania.

1]; } ?>