March 29, 2024, 01:38:31 AM

Author Topic: HIKERS MISSING  (Read 7364 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
HIKERS MISSING
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »
While watching Ms. Universe it had a ticker tape which state that 70 hikers went into Heights of Guanapo and 8 were washed away in a river. After dat they were sepearted into 2 batches 1 40 and 1 32. Only d group of 40 came out.

From callin my hikin peeps it was organized by Hikers Inc. I guess by d time d we get d press we go here d latest
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: HIKERS MISSING
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
i thought was Hike Seekers....

and from wha i hear is only 2 that missing still...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
Thanks Kandi 4 d update dat is real pressure dis sunday nite d dentist who died 2day in d accident I know her family.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:47:59 AM »
lol i went on a hike with them aready. (hikers inc)  :-\
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:58:40 AM »
1 missing 1 dead
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »
I hear dat last night and swallow hard, coulda be me I like to hike and ting....up to this morning, 1 dead and 1 missing which is better news than last night when 30 of them was not accounted for.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
1 dead 1 missin it coulda b much worse

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »
oh shims!!!

ah now reading bout this... what are the age groups ???
and when all dis happen  ???

up to last month ah went hiking up Aripo and if you see landslides, broken trees in half and mud for so. i is one of dem people dat love ah hike but ain't shame to say it was madness coming out and i went with experienced hikers...we lose dey path once but we come out after ah hour lapse.

gosh allyuh give more details when allyuh get info please and tanks.
dis upsetting

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
I eh hear no news 2day and I eh go b home 2nite so somebody might update laterz

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »
aright girl...thanks
ah now taking in the online newspapers...all 3 have dey same story. is only in here ya does get dey extra line, comma and full stop

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:59 PM »
1 dead 1 missin it coulda b much worse

Not for the family of the decesaed hiker.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 05:12:57 PM »
news jus say is a young man who died. a twenty one year old female uwi student still missing. amanda baksh ah think her name is. set to enter her second year come september.
dey say d girl slipped off a rock into d river an d fella jump in after her to save her, two ah dem end up gettin swept away by d river. dey found d youth man body at midnight las night.
real sad.
dey cuda cancel dat hike when dey see how bad d weather was!
steups!

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
ok so basically what happened is... from a call someone heard from a guide on d radio today

70+ hikers went to Guanap gorges..made it in good time and good weather...were swimming around etc tra la la...

the weather take a turn and the leaders say time to go...but in true trini fashion...people keep say juss a few more mins etc tra la la...so they get keep back

now having been on these hikes before i know that depending on the size of the group and level (difficulty) of the hike...they split u up...

d fit crew...d okish crew...and the very lazy crew...

by d time they hit the river area...it was flowing...d river in question comes up fast and recedes juss as fast...

1st group made it across in time...40+... and started to head out d bush

2nd group ...river come up fast and 2 get swept away..stranding the others behind there by giving the impression of them 'missing'...

end story... 2 dead... d guy was a student of UWI and the girl was his gf....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »
this was in the comments section of the express article:

Two persons were swept away and have been found dead - Markus Smith and his girlfriend, Aiyana

my condolences..

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
this was in the comments section of the express article:

Two persons were swept away and have been found dead - Markus Smith and his girlfriend, Aiyana

my condolences..

oh no...that is so sad :(
hiking in bad weather not nice at all,, ah saw it with my own eyes, that i promise myself next time, weatherman have to give me thumbs up that the whole day sunny and dry. i can't even ask if they all were experienced hikers, because even the most experience swimmer could drown.

that is so sad.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 08:52:13 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

She did not want to go on a hike in the Heights of Guanapo without her boyfriend, so Aiyana Baksh, 20, pleaded with Marcus Smith, 22, to accompany her.

The day started out sunny, but after 4 pm on Sunday, a torrential downpour turned a routine hike into horror in the Heights of Guanapo.

Aiyana and Smith were swept away while crossing a bridge that was being covered by fast-rising flood waters.

The body of Smith, of Serette Street in Morvant, an engineering student at the St Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI), was found early yesterday morning.

Aiyana’s relatives were hopeful yesterday that she would be found alive.

Aiyana’s father Steve Baksh said his daughter had pleaded with Smith to accompany her on the hike.

“He (Smith) did not want to go. She begged him many times to come with her. He came to support her,” said Baksh, as he waited for Smith’s body to be recovered under a bridge in the Heights of Guanapo.

Baksh’s relatives, along with members of the Coast Guard and Defence Force, flocked to the Guanapo Water Treatment Plant yesterday morning to continue the search that started on Sunday.

The search will continue today at the Guanapo Water Treatment Plant.

Defence Force officials said the main water courses in the area ran into this plant.

On Sunday, a group of 70 people, including seven children, hiked to the Guanapo Waterfall and river.

On their way back, members of the party were separated by rising flood waters, witnesses said.

The guides used ropes to assist the hikers to cross the raging waters.

While the water was rising, 38 people were separated from the group and were unaccounted for several hours, witnesses said.

Later, 36 people were rescued by officers of the Defence Force Engineering Battalion and Arima Police. Smith and Aiyana were swept away as the waters rose to “an astounding level,” a witness said.

Several groups searched the area on Sunday and yesterday and will continue their search this morning.

Larry Mooteeram, Aiyana’s uncle, in an interview yesterday afternoon said: “We want anyone in the area to keep their eyes opened.”

He said the couple went to hike with a group associated with the university.

“We are hoping that she is still alive and could be in the forest,” Mooteeram said.

He confirmed that Smith and his niece were a couple.

“I do not know how long they were together,” Mooteeram said a life jacket was found during their search of the forest.

Mooteeram said he did not understand why other hikers left the police station after the tragedy occurred. He said Baksh was a student at the university who wanted to be a pathologist.

Attempts to contact Smith’s relatives proved futile.

hiking tips:

The UWI Hiking Club—not the club that organised the hike to the Heights of Guanapo on Sunday— gave the following safety tips yesterday.

Before the hike

At least one week before, a group is sent out to ensure that the trail is good
Observations are made about the weather, days before the hike
Information on hikers—names, telephone numbers, emergency contact
It is taken to the nearest police station
The police are informed of the time hikers are expected to return
If the police station is near to the hiking site, the club enquires whether rain fell the previous night
Permission is sought from the police to enter hiking site
Information from police about activities taking place at the site
Leaders are informed of medical conditions of hikers
People with medical issues are supposed to walk with personal medication
During the hike

In each maxi, two experienced people are present to assist
A person who knows the trail leads the group
This individual must have a fair knowledge of how to handle and approach wildlife in forested areas
An experienced hiker is the last person in the group (the backmarker)
People are not allowed to pass the leader or trail the backmarker
The backmarker stays behind with people who need to rest
Six walkie-talkies are carried for long and strenuous trails
The leader carries one and the backmarker carries another. Others are distributed within the group
Two walkie-talkies are distributed to each maxi
Two safety kits are carried on the journey
A nurse or individual certified in CPR and first aid is present
Along the hiking trail there is one walkie-talkie for every 20 people
If swimming is required, life jackets are given to those who cannot swim
A rope is used as an aid in crossing deep waters
No alcohol is allowed on the hike
No littering is allowed during the hike
(Compiled by Ayanna Alexander)

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited
Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Nicholas Attai

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:05 PM »
Trinidad Guardian
By Faine Richards

Nightfall was fast approaching. The rising river and raging currents stood between them and home. They had no choice but to cross.

Seventy hikers experienced this nightmare on Sunday evening, after trekking to the Guanapo Waterfall.

Two hikers, Marcus Smith and Aiyana Baksh, 20, were swept away by the treacherous waters.

Smith, 22, was found dead hours later. Baksh was yet to be found up to late yesterday.

Numb with disbelief, hiker Ryan Marcano spent his waking hours yesterday reliving the horror scene in his mind.

“It felt like something out of a movie,” Marcano, 20, a third-year student at University of the West Indies (UWI), St Augustine.

“Nobody thought the whole river was going to overflow,” Marcano recalled. “Everyone was moving slow (down the mountain). People were walking at different paces. The river was not choppy at that point.”

Unaware that rising waters had already began making their way downstream, some members of the hiking party lagged, he said.

Marcano, who walked ahead with some of his friends, waited on the river bank for stragglers to catch up.

“That’s when the water level started to rise,” Marcano said. “After that, the water got really choppy.”

He said even if we tried to put our feet in, it would have pulled you away,” Marcano said.

With the help of a fallen tree, the hikers began making their way slowly across the surging waters. The first two groups crossed successfully.

“We saw one lady get swept away in the river first, and a fellah jumped in to get her. He pulled her out okay,” he said.

Marcus Smith, 22, the hiker who was swept away by the perilous waters and subsequently found dead, stayed at the back of the hiking party to assist his girlfriend, Aiyana Baksh.

“Aiyana couldn’t keep up, so he (Marcus) stayed back to help her,” said Marcano, a friend of Smith since their Form One days in Fatima College.

“It was her first hike.”

Advised by hike organisers, Hike Seekers, to bring life jackets in the event of inclement weather, Marcano said Baksh had obtained a life jacket and was wearing it as the hikers trekked downstream.

“She didn’t know how to swim. “Marcus was afraid of the water,” he said.

As the currents intensified, Smith, Baksh and other hikers got trapped on the other side of the river. Suddenly, Marcano and his compatriots saw Baksh and Smith being sucked downstream.

“He was grabbing at her life jacket because she alone had one,” Marcano said.

“He was mostly holding onto her. The current dragged them down. That was the last we saw of them.”

The image of his two friends struggling against the raging currents was haunting, Marcano said.

“I am happy that I am alive, but I still wish I could have done something to help my friends.”

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited
Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Nicholas Attai

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »
Yep it bad 4 1 family but it would have been worse if more persons would have died

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
doh tell me some gang rob them then kill dem. i not going arima atall

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
The girl's body was found around 8 am this morning by a farmer.....real real sad ah tell yuh....wheeeyy...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »
The girl's body was found around 8 am this morning by a farmer.....real real sad ah tell yuh....wheeeyy...

her body was found in WALLERFIELD...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 06:35:22 PM »

her body was found in WALLERFIELD...

real sad ah tell yuh... :'(
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
Condolences to both families. May the both of them RIP together.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »
Sad 2 sad RIP strength 2 d families

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »
well it never cease to amaze me how this world small

i talking to my brother back home jus now and he telling me talk to mehr mudda and console she.
when i hear dey shout, the girl was one of my mom's ex students and also lived in Curepe until the family moved to Maloney.
is when she start decribing this girl to me...tears roll up in my eyes yes. a quiet, decent, educated girl.

den dey tv6 news come on and i'm hearing the girl's father crying while they removing her body...

honest to god i doh think i'll have dat emotional strength to bury meh child huh :'(

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:57 PM »
Hard luck dey Trinicana it real small I remember when d footballer died a couple months ago speakin 2 meh sis in d US d man brudder by she yes. He was there as dey was havin a lil wake

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
Condolences to both families.. IDidnt really know markus but he was was a few years behind me in Fatima.. He was on the Intercol winning side a few years ago.

1]; } ?>