March 28, 2024, 10:57:32 AM

Author Topic: Lara and Yorke for Sports Management Company  (Read 2393 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Lara and Yorke for Sports Management Company
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
Different strokes
Published on: 7/13/08.
Barbados Nation

by JUSTIN MARVILLE

FACING CHALLENGES far different from those he embarked on on the field for 17 years, legendary West Indies batsman Brian Lara has embarked on his life beyond the boundary.

Ironically, he is choosing to start that life not too far from the last one he crossed.

Twelve months after his last innings at Kensington Oval, Lara has a dream somewhat bigger than the expansive 18-acre estate he owns at Ebworth Plantation in St Peter – a dream that could one day produce more Caribbean sporting superstars in his likeness.

Pairing with long-time friend and professional footballer Dwight Yorke, Lara has founded his own sports management company with the intentions of bringing young, talented athletes to the fore.

LAY (Lara and Yorke) Management Group (LMG), which is currently registered here in Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago, is an initiative that focuses on providing assistance where necessary to develop rising Caribbean athletes.

And for someone who was in that position himself, the former West Indies captain understands only too well the need for such an enterprise in the Caribbean.

"I was very lucky that I had my parents and I had good support from Angostura and Fatima College," conceded Lara in a recent interview with the SUNDAY SUN, "but we know a lot of youngsters who don't have that support and don't have that person to lead them and so they fall by the wayside."

"They get to 15, 16 [years-old], leave school and then fall away during the bridge in the gap between school level and international level. That's the sorta time we want to concentrate on, to help them stay focused and support them during that period."

"Dwight and I, even though we were able to break through and play international sport before that period of time there were periods when we needed that support," added Lara.

And the master batsman has set about this latest innings through the initiation of another.

Walking around the spacious grounds of the St Peter estate, Lara declared his plans of turning the private estate into a high scale residential area, possibly splitting the 18-acre holding into six or seven one-acre lots around a sporting facility.

New ideas

"Right now I am presently conceptualising different ideas of what to put here. I would love to have a sporting team and of course cricket will be a major feature with training facilities and villas around it but it must be of high quality."

"I would love to say that I'm not building anything else here and just keep the property for me alone but I have ideas, so this has been taking up a lot of my time."

However, this dream isn't limited to his grounds in St Peter nor even the small shores of this country.

Just as the Caribbean region shared in every one of the legend's test record 11 953 runs, so too will they share in his aspirations.

Conferred with the Order of the Caribbean Community earlier this month at the ceremonial start of CARICOM's 29th Summitt, Lara is now recognised as a citizen of all the member countries and his intentions will be to use that to spread his "brand" across the region.

"I don't consider myself a Trinbagoan. I consider myself a West Indian and someone who could tap into any market. Of course I was born and bred in Trinidad and Tobago but I have always felt at home in any [Caribbean] island."

But he also admits that he is comfortable in Barbados.

"I feel at home in Barbados," said Lara, flashing a huge smile., "It's the island that I visit most, and my very first tour as a 14-year-old was to the Sir Garfield Sobers tournament."

"So there is an affiliation with Barbados but it doesn't take anything from the other Caribbean islands that I feel at home."

However, the West Indies legend did admit that his choice did go past sentimental reasons, asserting that his decisions were based more on sound economic grounds.

"The tourism factor here in Barbados is very influential in anyone deciding to get into real estate. With the influx of investors or people wanting residents is far greater here than in Trinidad."

"But this is a different ball game, this is not cricket so I have to tread carefully and tap into the professionals in the field. It is a dream but it has got to be something more viable than walking out onto a cricket field with a bat and backing yourself."

Even if his ventures are only half as viable as his cricketing career, Lara can still look forward to the backing of the entire region – just like when he used to walk onto the cricket field.

justinmarville@nationnews.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lara and Yorke for Sports Management Company
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
Dat is a good idea all d best fellas
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I thought latapy was part of that business too ...like he drop out?

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »
Great move........should be very interesting on so many different levels.........hope ethics are maintained.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
good luck and best wishes. Shaka already got his retirement investments going.  Now is Latapy turn

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:10:05 AM »
Didn't they form this company YEARS ago?

I think I read this when Flex had the old Forum.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:20 AM »
LAY  :thinking: how ironic  ;D

Perfect name for a company involving the both of them   :heehee:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:35:27 AM »
Didn't they form this company YEARS ago?

I think I read this when Flex had the old Forum.
Yeh, dat company involved Latapy, and it was called LLAY.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »
I poumdin meh gfriend when she laugh bout d name friday u and she mind in d same place
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
I poumdin meh gfriend when she laugh bout d name friday u and she mind in d same place

Come on you not saying yuh didn't think dat tooo ;D Ah bet Dutty go think so too :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »
Friday I plead d fifth

1]; } ?>