April 26, 2024, 08:28:06 AM

Author Topic: A question about form...  (Read 1563 times)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A question about form...
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
Just curious to know what you mean by a player in good form...
I have noticed many times including today in the PFL thread, people talk about form..This applies to not only football, but cricket and many other sports...
Ex: When Kenwyne had not scored for Sunderland for a few games, then all of a sudden he scores 1 goal, I hear people saying he get back his form...To me he scored a good goal, but until he starts scoring regularly then he is in form... I read today that Marvin Oliver scored, and someone stated, good he back in form.... Now I did not see the game, or have not seen him play for a long time, but I gather he had not been scoring much,so does 1 goal make you in form.....
I remember Lara playing  a few games and scoring a little bit of runs, then one game, he score a century...People talking about he back in form, but only to see the next game or inning he scored only a few runs....

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: A question about form...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »
Good question...

It also have some fellas who have No Class but running on Form right tru.

With regard to football, I would think it depends on where a player is on the field and it is subjective.

A forward is measured by his goal return. I would think if he scores in successive games and does so on a consistent basis he is back in form. I do not agree with a one goal thing. Form is a consistent thing.

From Dictionary.com

# manner or method of performing something; technique: The violin soloist displayed tremendous form.

# Proven ability to perform: a musician at the top of her form.

# Fitness, as of an athlete or animal, with regard to health or training.

So a midfielder might be judged on work rate, completed passes, dribbles, tackles and assists.

While a defender might be judged on tackles won, headers won, clean sheets etc.

I will only say a player IN FORM if he produces an effort which is not only positive but sustained for a length of time.

In fantasy league they used to take the players points and divide it by the number of games and give a figure. Usually it is the last 6 games the team plays in.
So usually consistent goals or clean sheets or assists would be considered.

Samo check the pundit in Fantasy league they tell you how its calculated.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
Just curious to know what you mean by a player in good form...
I have noticed many times including today in the PFL thread, people talk about form..This applies to not only football, but cricket and many other sports...
Ex: When Kenwyne had not scored for Sunderland for a few games, then all of a sudden he scores 1 goal, I hear people saying he get back his form...To me he scored a good goal, but until he starts scoring regularly then he is in form... I read today that Marvin Oliver scored, and someone stated, good he back in form.... Now I did not see the game, or have not seen him play for a long time, but I gather he had not been scoring much,so does 1 goal make you in form.....
I remember Lara playing  a few games and scoring a little bit of runs, then one game, he score a century...People talking about he back in form, but only to see the next game or inning he scored only a few runs....

you are of course basing your question on local sports reporters comments ...dont go there .... many an ordinary player or actions has been sensationalized to sell papers .... sometimes for the writer to boast  " how he discovered this or that player " .." i did write bout he since he was playing for el do " ..I suggest you look to more reputable sources on which to rely.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »
Thanx for the replies...
I guess I was correct... ( for a change) LOL
Jai, I find this mostly happens from Trini's (and Baygonians).. I rarely ever here it anywhere else, although I do hear or read it sometimes...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
Thanx for the replies...
I guess I was correct... ( for a change) LOL
Jai, I find this mostly happens from Trini's (and Baygonians).. I rarely ever here it anywhere else, although I do hear or read it sometimes...

I remember asking a news reporter how he could write a story saying Jerron Nixon was worth 9.5 Million pounds some years ago when he was benching for his club in Switzerland ....his reply was ....well he coach say dat !...so i asked him ....And you write dat because he coach say dat ? ..and de man kyah even make he team bench ? ...dat is why local newspapers publish a story dat a man was killed when none ah dem did see de body ...

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »
My understanding of the term "Form" in Trini language is when someone is consistantly performing well,there are players don't matter what they do or how they play the press highlights them,that's a different storey.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »

It also have some fellas who have No Class but running on Form right tru.

?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
Greenidge say form is temporary class is permanent.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »
what about when allyuh sell meh evans wise after de grenada game pre world cup 2006..

remember allyuh say he grow ah brain?

was that class or form?

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »
what about when allyuh sell meh evans wise after de grenada game pre world cup 2006..

remember allyuh say he grow ah brain?

was that class or form?
None...
I play in 3 leagues here, and when I play in the lowest league, I am afforded the time to do things, I would not normally be able to do against stronger oppsition.. I believe the same as Evans Wise... Against the weaker opponents he looked like a star, but when it was time to play against higher caliber players he faded....

Class And Form... 2 completely different things..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
Dat man Wise was neva a good sell and sad 4 who bought it includin d DON. Form and Class is like yuh 1st day of pre school v your ist day at university both is educational opportunities that is about all d comparision dat u can make.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »
In my humble opinion I believe class is similar to pedigree, it is the God given ability to perform at 75% and still be effective when others need to perform at 100% to be as effective but also allows the person to be a super peformer if he/she ever uses that extra 25%. Form I believe is what one sees when a person's level of performance is not only effective but more importantly consistent.

1]; } ?>