March 28, 2024, 01:41:11 PM

Author Topic: Carlos: My goal was for the boss  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos: My goal was for the boss
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:06:40 AM »
Carlos: My goal was for the boss
By Carl Marston (Green'Un24)

CARLOS Edwards could just have scored the goal that saves manager Roy Keane's job in the long term.

Flying winger Edwards put a miserable season behind him to slam home his first goal for nearly three years, in a nerve-wracking relegation scrap at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Edwards' long-range strike, after 15 minutes, was enough to earn Ipswich Town a precious 1-0 win. In the process, the result saw Keane's men leapfrog hosts Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship table.

They are up to 19th position, three points clear of third-from-bottom Crystal Palace.

“We all knew what we had to do, after the disappointment of the Peterborough game (a 3-1 defeat). It couldn't get any worse after that game,” insisted Edwards.

“We simply had to go for it and get a result, because we all want the manager to stay.

“There's more pressure on the manager than the players, because it's he that goes and the players that remain.

“It preys on your mind, that if we keep losing then the board will act as fast as possible. We want to win games to make the manager safe. It's the manager who takes the blame.

And yes, as players we have let the manager down a bit this season, especially seeing as how successful he was as a player and as a manager at Sunderland.

“That meant there's been even more of a sour taste in the mouth, when we've not been winning most games,” added Edwards.

Reacting to the news that Saturday's match-winner was his first goal in nearly three years, Edwards added: “Wow! I knew it was a very long time, but you (journalists) know the stats better than me.

“I had forgotten how it felt to score a goal. I even forgot to celebrate! Scoring took me my surprise and I just looked to the bench and thought, OK, it actually went in!

“But I hadn't forgotten my previous goal.

“I can tell you that it was against Burnley, because that is my No.1 goal.

“And I also like playing against Sheffield Wednesday, because I scored my first goal for Sunderland here as well. I have a good record against them.

“I think not scoring has been down to a lack of confidence.

“The injuries have not helped me, and it got to the stage where I didn't know where my next goal was coming from.

“I hadn't been playing as well as before. I hadn't played the last four games, so I had to be patient and wait for my opportunity, rather than moan and sulk about the place. That would have been disrespectful to my team-mates,” added Edwards.

For the record, his previous goal had been a 30-yard wonder strike to secure a 3-2 win for Sunderland over Burnley on April 27, 2007.

Ironically, current Town team-mates Grant Leadbitter and Daryl Murphy were both involved in the build up to that goal, which helped the Black Cats to return to the top of the Championship table.

Edwards' first ever goal for Sunderland was netted at Sheffield Wednesday on January 20, 2007, in a 4-2 win.

Keane's Ipswich have another big relegation battle tomorrow evening, at fellow strugglers Sc**thorpe United.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Edwards in Team of the Week
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
Two in Team of the Week
twtd.co.uk

Town duo Gareth McAuley and Carlos Edwards have been named in the Football League Team of the Week for their performances in the 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday.

Edwards netted his first game of the season, while McAuley was part of a backline which defended stoutly throughout.

Team of the Week: Kieren Westwood (Coventry), Adrian Mariappa (Watford), James Perch (Nottingham Forest), Gareth McAuley (Ipswich), Alan Tate (Swansea), Kevin Nolan (Newcastle), David Vaughan (Blackpool), Don Cowie (Watford), Carlos Edwards (Ipswich), Daniel Bogdanovic (Barnsley), Gary Hooper (Sc**thorpe).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos: My goal was for the boss
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »
Carlos scored again today

1]; } ?>