March 28, 2024, 08:01:12 AM

Author Topic: Who was Alexander M. Stollmeyer?  (Read 3604 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Who was Alexander M. Stollmeyer?
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
Who was Alexander M. Stollmeyer?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:46:09 PM by E-man »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Alexander M. Stollmeyer?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
Is Jeffrey Stollmeyer related ?, He was a former captain of the West Indies cricket team. He also played football and was very involved in Trinidadian business and government.”
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
I'm aware of Jeffrey and Andre playing for T&T, but not an Alexander, unless Andre is relly Alexander. LOL. Well Jefferz go have tuh answer dat one.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
I'm aware of Jeffrey and Andre playing for T&T, but not an Alexander, unless Andre is relly Alexander. LOL. Well Jefferz go have tuh answer dat one.

Well, since even Tallman can't answer (even though I gave you a link where you could find out the other day)
here goes:

He was a QRC man that went to Harvard University, class of 1930. He was captain of the soccer team in '28 and '29 (also played in '27). Usually played left full back, sometimes half back and sometimes on the right.

He had a brother at Dartmouth around the same time who was a forward and an All-American selection in 1930. They faced each other on the field at least once.

I have no information if either of them ever played for the colonial team. Certainly neither made it to the trip to Jamaica in 35/36.

Stollmeyer Is Reelected University Soccer Captain
Source: Harvard Crimson
Date Published: 1928-11-28

Alexander Maxwell Stollmeyer '30, of Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, British West Indies, has been reelected captain of the soccer team for next year. He has played a stellar game at fullback for two years on the University team, and during the season just closed has captained the eleven.

Stollmeyer prepared for the University at Queens Royal College, and played soccer throughout his preparatory school days. During his Freshman year at Harvard he played fullback and was one of the strongest men on the first year eleven, and for the last two years it has been his sterling defense play which has repulsed the Yale attack and held the Blue to three tallys in the two games.

All this year's team will be back with the exception of Louis Kerness '29 and A. S. Rudd '29.

There was also a Mike Stollmeyer who played for Penn State in the late 50's.

Next question, which I couldn't get the answer to myself. What was Alex's brother's first name? (The Dartmouth student paper's online archives don't go back that far)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
What was Alex's brother's first name?

I just figured it out, LOL

As of 2005 he's still Dartmouth's 4th all time goal scorer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:35:05 PM by E-man »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »

Well, since even Tallman can't answer (even though I gave you a link where you could find out the other day)

I knew who it was from the links you sent, but ah didn't want tuh say nutten because dat would be akin to inside information. LOL. Anyway, since he was such a prominent player for Harvard, I figured that he would have repped for T&T, but I have never seen dat name associated with de national team. Ah go still ask Jefferz.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
Hmm. Dem men reach far in 1930.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
There was a Stollmeyer who played for the US youth in the 80's from North Virginia. He probably was Mike's son.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »
there was a stollmeyer in the us squad in 1989 but was injured for the infamous nov 19th game

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
That was him. I just can't remember his first name.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
That was him. I just can't remember his first name.

His name was John

The American players contrasted the scene to their virtual invisibility at home. Midfielder John Stollmeyer, whose grandfather and uncles live in Trinidad, said size was the difference.

"Our country's so big and spread out," he said, "that you can't get the close-knit togetherness they have, the passion."

Caligiuri was a surprise starter for a healthy John Stollmeyer, a midfielder with strong Trinidad ties (his father was born there and his great uncles were world-class cricket players there) who hadn't missed a minute in the previous seven qualifying matches.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
Yep, that is the guy. Well that was one of the greatest move by the coach. Caliguri score that faithful goal.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »

Wheyy I never thought I'd see de day when Tallman fails to answer a quiz question ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »

here goes:

He was a QRC man that went to Harvard University, class of 1930. He was captain of the soccer team in '28 and '29 (also played in '27). Usually played left full back, sometimes half back and sometimes on the right.

He had a brother at Dartmouth around the same time who was a forward and an All-American selection in 1930. They faced each other on the field at least once.

I have no information if either of them ever played for the colonial team. Certainly neither made it to the trip to Jamaica in 35/36.

Stollmeyer Is Reelected University Soccer Captain
Source: Harvard Crimson
Date Published: 1928-11-28

Alexander Maxwell Stollmeyer '30, of Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, British West Indies, has been reelected captain of the soccer team for next year. He has played a stellar game at fullback for two years on the University team, and during the season just closed has captained the eleven.

Stollmeyer prepared for the University at Queens Royal College, and played soccer throughout his preparatory school days. During his Freshman year at Harvard he played fullback and was one of the strongest men on the first year eleven, and for the last two years it has been his sterling defense play which has repulsed the Yale attack and held the Blue to three tallys in the two games.

All this year's team will be back with the exception of Louis Kerness '29 and A. S. Rudd '29.

There was also a Mike Stollmeyer who played for Penn State in the late 50's.

Next question, which I couldn't get the answer to myself. What was Alex's brother's first name? (The Dartmouth student paper's online archives don't go back that far)

Yuh sure is not Howard they meant to put dey ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>