June 16, 2024, 08:11:55 AM

Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Dark Knight
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
Showdown in Gotham Town

By MANOHLA DARGIS
Published: July 18, 2008

Dark as night and nearly as long, Christopher Nolan’s new Batman movie feels like a beginning and something of an end. Pitched at the divide between art and industry, poetry and entertainment, it goes darker and deeper than any Hollywood movie of its comic-book kind — including “Batman Begins,” Mr. Nolan’s 2005 pleasurably moody resurrection of the series — largely by embracing an ambivalence that at first glance might be mistaken for pessimism. But no work filled with such thrilling moments of pure cinema can be rightly branded pessimistic, even a postheroic superhero movie like “The Dark Knight.”

Apparently, truth, justice and the American way don’t cut it anymore. That may not fully explain why the last Superman took a nose dive (“Superman Returns,” if not for long), but I think it helps get at why, like other recent ambiguous American heroes, both supermen and super-spies, the new Batman soared. Talent played a considerable part in Mr. Nolan’s Bat restoration, naturally, as did his seriousness of purpose. He brought a gravitas to the superhero that wiped away the camp and kitsch that had shrouded Batman in cobwebs. It helped that Christian Bale, a reluctant smiler whose sharply planed face looks as if it had been carved with a chisel, slid into Bruce Wayne’s insouciance as easily as he did Batman’s suit.

The new Batman movie isn’t a radical overhaul like its predecessor, which is to be expected of a film with a large price tag (well north of $100 million) and major studio expectations (worldwide domination or bust). Instead, like other filmmakers who’ve successfully reworked genre staples, Mr. Nolan has found a way to make Batman relevant to his time — meaning, to ours — investing him with shadows that remind you of the character’s troubled beginning but without lingering mustiness. That’s nothing new, but what is surprising, actually startling, is that in “The Dark Knight,” which picks up the story after the first film ends, Mr. Nolan has turned Batman (again played by the sturdy, stoic Mr. Bale) into a villain’s sidekick.

That would be the Joker, of course, a demonic creation and three-ring circus of one wholly inhabited by Heath Ledger. Mr. Ledger died in January at age 28 from an accidental overdose, after principal photography ended, and his death might have cast a paralyzing pall over the film if the performance were not so alive. But his Joker is a creature of such ghastly life, and the performance is so visceral, creepy and insistently present that the characterization pulls you in almost at once. When the Joker enters one fray with a murderous flourish and that sawed-off smile, his morbid grin a mirror of the Black Dahlia’s ear-to-ear grimace, your nervous laughter will die in your throat.

A self-described agent of chaos, the Joker arrives in Gotham abruptly, as if he’d been hiding up someone’s sleeve. He quickly seizes control of the city’s crime syndicate and Batman’s attention with no rhyme and less reason. Mr. Ledger, his body tightly wound but limbs jangling, all but disappears under the character’s white mask and red leer. Licking and chewing his sloppy, smeared lips, his tongue darting in and out of his mouth like a jittery animal, he turns the Joker into a tease who taunts criminals (Eric Roberts’s bad guy, among them) and the police (Gary Oldman’s good cop), giggling while he-he-he (ha-ha-ha) tries to burn the world down. He isn’t fighting for anything or anyone. He isn’t a terrorist, just terrifying.

Mr. Nolan is playing with fire here, but partly because he’s a showman. Even before the Joker goes wild, the director lets loose with some comic horror that owes something to Michael Mann’s “Heat,” something to Cirque de Soleil, and quickly sets a tense, coiled mood that he sustains for two fast-moving hours of freakish mischief, vigilante justice, philosophical asides and the usual trinkets and toys, before a final half-hour pileup of gunfire and explosions. This big-bang finish — which includes a topsy-turvy image that poignantly suggests the world has been turned on its axis for good — is sloppy, at times visually incoherent, yet touching. Mr. Nolan, you learn, likes to linger in the dark, but he doesn’t want to live there.

Though entranced by the Joker, Mr. Nolan, working from a script he wrote with his brother Jonathan Nolan, does make room for romance and tears and even an occasional (nonlethal) joke. There are several new characters, notably Harvey Dent (a charismatic Aaron Eckhart), a crusading district attorney and Bruce Wayne’s rival for the affection of his longtime friend, Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal, a happy improvement over Katie Holmes). Like almost every other character in the film, Batman and Bruce included, Harvey and Rachel live and work in (literal) glass houses. The Gotham they inhabit is shinier and brighter than the antiqued dystopia of “Batman Begins”: theirs is the emblematic modern megalopolis (in truth, a cleverly disguised Chicago), soulless, anonymous, a city of distorting and shattering mirrors.

From certain angles, the city the Joker threatens looks like New York, but it would be reductive to read the film too directly through the prism of 9/11 and its aftermath. You may flash on that day when a building collapses here in a cloud of dust, or when firemen douse some flames, but those resemblances belong more rightly to our memories than to what we see unfolding on screen. Like any number of small- and big-screen thrillers, the film’s engagement with 9/11 is diffuse, more a matter of inference and ideas (chaos, fear, death) than of direct assertion. Still, that a spectacle like this even glances in that direction confirms that American movies have entered a new era of ambivalence when it comes to their heroes — or maybe just superness.

In and out of his black carapace and on the restless move, Batman remains, perhaps not surprisingly then, a recessive, almost elusive figure. Part of this has to do with the costume, which has created complications for every actor who wears it. With his eyes dimmed and voice technologically obscured, Mr. Bale, who’s suited up from the start, doesn’t have access to an actor’s most expressive tools. (There are only so many ways to eyeball an enemy.) Mr. Nolan, having already told Batman’s origin story in the first film, initially doesn’t appear motivated to advance the character. Yet by giving him rivals in love and war, he has also shifted Batman’s demons from inside his head to the outside world.

That change in emphasis leaches the melodrama from Mr. Nolan’s original conception, but it gives the story tension and interest beyond one man’s personal struggle. This is a darker Batman, less obviously human, more strangely other. When he perches over Gotham on the edge of a skyscraper roof, he looks more like a gargoyle than a savior. There’s a touch of demon in his stealthy menace. During a crucial scene, one of the film’s saner characters asserts that this isn’t a time for heroes, the implication being that the moment belongs to villains and madmen. Which is why, when Batman takes flight in this film, his wings stretching across the sky like webbed hands, it’s as if he were trying to possess the world as much as save it.

In its grim intensity, “The Dark Knight” can feel closer to David Fincher’s “Zodiac” than Tim Burton’s playfully gothic “Batman,” which means it’s also closer to Bob Kane’s original comic and Frank Miller’s 1986 reinterpretation. That makes it heavy, at times almost pop-Wagnerian, but Mr. Ledger’s performance and the film’s visual beauty are transporting. (In Imax, it’s even more operatic.) No matter how cynical you feel about Hollywood, it is hard not to fall for a film that makes room for a shot of the Joker leaning out the window of a stolen police car and laughing into the wind, the city’s colored lights gleaming behind him like jewels. He’s just a clown painted on black velvet, but he’s also some kind of masterpiece.

“The Dark Knight” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Consistently violent but not bloody.

THE DARK KNIGHT
Opens on Friday nationwide.

Directed by Christopher Nolan; written by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer; Batman character created by Bob Kane; Batman and other characters from the DC comic books; director of photography, Wally Pfister; edited by Lee Smith; music by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard; production designer, Nathan Crowley; produced by Charles Roven, Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan; released by Warner Brothers Pictures. Running time: 2 hours 32 minutes.

WITH: Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Michael Caine (Alfred), Heath Ledger (the Joker), Gary Oldman (James Gordon), Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent), Maggie Gyllenhaal (Rachel Dawes) and Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox).

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/07/18/movies/18knig.html?8dpc

Excellently written review...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:30:58 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
Trailer

Audio Slideshow

Can't wait to see this tomorrow...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:41 PM »
Shark!!!. Like you was on vacation or what??

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
Shark!!!. Like you was on vacation or what??

Lol...nah man, juss ah l'il change up fuh ah week or so.  Aye, check yuh PM.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »
I love Heath Ledger.  Brillian actor.  Can't wait to see this movie.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:32 AM »
Sorry to say, but the best thing for this movie happened when Heath Ledger passed away.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »
Sorry to say, but the best thing for this movie happened when Heath Ledger passed away.

Two inferences from what you wrote above... and both of them wrong based on early reviews (professional, and personal feeback from friends).  You seem to insinuate that he was bad and his death mercifully brought to end his role in the film.  Wrong.  Many are actually saying that his performance is Oscar-worthy.

The second insinuation seems to be that the movie has benefitted from the added publicity surrounding his death.  Without a doubt there was a bounce effect resulting from his death... but that was probably miniscular in light of the already pre-existing hype around this movie.  With an all-star cast featuring Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine... sheer starpower was going to push this film...especially given the phenomenal success of Batman Begins.  The new direction in which the character was taken in that film...with Christian Bale wearing the cape like no other Batman before him, resulted in a fresh update of the series to bring it in line with contemporary realities.

See this link for a review of Batman Begins, from the BBC back in 2005.  This was fairly typical...Ted Nolan won raves for his refreshing take on what has been one of the more enduring comic book characters...so there was already a phenomenal amount of hype.  I was never a huge fan of Heath Ledger... really just saw him in A Knight's Tale and The Patriot among a handful others...refused to watch Brokeback Mountain (with Jake Gyllenhaal, whose sister Maggie is in Dark Knight here)...so again, not a big fan.  Still was sad how he died though... and I can't deny that some will be paying attention because of that.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »
Still stand by my comments. Overly hyped due to the death of H.L.

Who are the different actors from the last episode? Was there this much hype. I eh trying to take anything away from HL or his acting abilities (BTW, he's never impressed, but I didn't see the cowboy flick which some say was some good work by him).

BTW, was there much hype for this movie before HL's death? Don;t recall.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:11:41 AM »

Who are the different actors from the last episode? Was there this much hype. I eh trying to take anything away from HL or his acting abilities (BTW, he's never impressed, but I didn't see the cowboy flick which some say was some good work by him).

There was building underground hype before his death... but ever since news broke that they'd started filming there was quite a bit of anticipation.  There are only a handful of new actors... notably Eckhart, Ledger and Maggie Gyllenhaal.  I'm not trying to say the hype is the result of the new actors ... but I am saying that the overall quality of the cast played a part.  Without a doubt though the biggest reson for the hype was the success of the last installment.  I think the last one was a sleeper because nobody really expected too much from it...so to answer your question, no...there wasn't as much hype.

You have to remember though that the Batman movies started out hot and heavy and started to peter out.  Micheal Keaton was a one and done... Val Kilmer did a couple (or was it one?)... George Clooney did his thing... but after a while the storyline and the villains just wasn't cutting it.  So no one really expected much from Batman Begins... but  Nolan changed all that by bringing in darker elements to Bruce Wayne's character.  Christian Bale was a revelation... the guy is a phenomenal actor (check him out in The Machinist, weird flick, but boss performance) and many didn't know what he'd bring.  To me just like Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever, so too to me Bale is the best Batman.  Less camp, more pathos... more action, incredible cinematography.  I think that's why people were excited about this one.

I ent go fight yuh on yuh comments though... like ah said, I can't say that there was no effect from the publicity regarding Heath Ledger's death.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:44:26 PM by Bake n Shark »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »
saw the 12am show, it was excellent, it was more of a psychotic thriller rather than a comic book tale, excellently writen and acted, ledger is by far the best joker ive seen, he topped nicholson, too bad he died bc he would have had another chance in batman 3, by far one of the best films of the year

God is de BOSS....

TrinInfinite

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »

There was building underground hype before his death... but ever since news broke that they'd started filming there was quite a bit of anticipation. There are only a handful of new actors... notably Eckhart, Ledger and Maggie Gyllenhaal. I not trying to say the new actors is the result of the hype... I'm saying the overall quality of the cast played a part. Without a doubt though the biggest reson for the hype was the success of the last installment. I think the last one was a sleeper because nobody really expected too much from it...so to answer your question, no...there wasn't as much hype.

You have to remember though that the Batman movies started out hot and heavy and started to peter out. Micheal Keaton was a one and done... Val Kilmer did a couple (or was it one?)... George Clooney did his thing... but after a while the storyline and the villains just wasn't cutting it. So no one really expected much from Batman Begins... but Nolan changed all that by bringing in darker elements to Bruce Wayne's character. Christian Bale was a revelation... the guy is a phenomenal actor (check him out in The Machinist, weird flick, but boss performance) and many didn't know what he'd bring. To me just like Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever, so too to me Bale is the best Batman. Less camp, more pathos... more action, incredible cinematography. I think that's why people were excited about this one.

I ent go fight yuh on yuh comments though... like ah said, I can't say that there was no effect from the publicity regarding Heath Ledger's death.

your right, bale is the best batman ever, hands down, this has transformed into a adult thriller, craig i agree with also but connery and moore are still bosses

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 11:06:38 AM »

There was building underground hype before his death... but ever since news broke that they'd started filming there was quite a bit of anticipation. There are only a handful of new actors... notably Eckhart, Ledger and Maggie Gyllenhaal. I not trying to say the new actors is the result of the hype... I'm saying the overall quality of the cast played a part. Without a doubt though the biggest reson for the hype was the success of the last installment. I think the last one was a sleeper because nobody really expected too much from it...so to answer your question, no...there wasn't as much hype.

You have to remember though that the Batman movies started out hot and heavy and started to peter out. Micheal Keaton was a one and done... Val Kilmer did a couple (or was it one?)... George Clooney did his thing... but after a while the storyline and the villains just wasn't cutting it. So no one really expected much from Batman Begins... but Nolan changed all that by bringing in darker elements to Bruce Wayne's character. Christian Bale was a revelation... the guy is a phenomenal actor (check him out in The Machinist, weird flick, but boss performance) and many didn't know what he'd bring. To me just like Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever, so too to me Bale is the best Batman. Less camp, more pathos... more action, incredible cinematography. I think that's why people were excited about this one.

your right, bale is the best batman ever, hands down, this has transformed into a adult thriller, craig i agree with also but connery and moore are still bosses

TI, bakes, this tork about bale being the best batman ever and craig being the best bond ever - imho, a large part of this is due to the somewhat modern depiction of a protagonist/antagonist that have touches of both good and evil in them. this has been a theme that has been developing in movies for the last few decades (traces of this exist earlier, e.g. lazenby was the progenitor of the "gritty" bond). heroes are alot "grittier" these days as a result and villians are drawn more sympathetically. i really don't think bale and ledger are doing anything out of the ordinary for actors in this day and age. they aren't taking the interpretations of their parts in new artistic directions.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »
All allyuh mad

Can Bale or Ledger portray these high levels of fear,angst and tenderness all in one take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4v1hAnfy1I&feature=related

dont think soooo
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
TI, bakes, this tork about bale being the best batman ever and craig being the best bond ever - imho, a large part of this is due to the somewhat modern depiction of a protagonist/antagonist that have touches of both good and evil in them. this has been a theme that has been developing in movies for the last few decades (traces of this exist earlier, e.g. lazenby was the progenitor of the "gritty" bond). heroes are alot "grittier" these days as a result and villians are drawn more sympathetically. i really don't think bale and ledger are doing anything out of the ordinary for actors in this day and age. they aren't taking the interpretations of their parts in new artistic directions.

Agreed... but I think you're approaching our opinions from a different angle.  Speaking for myself, I'm not saying that what they're doing is necessarily revolutionary... I'm just saying that they are bringing a fresh 'modern' dimension to the character that they are playing.  To be sure mine is a highly subjective opinion, rather than fact.  Being a fan of the two characters in question... I really appreciated the belated and long-overdue updates.  I knew nothing of Daniel Craig before Casino Royale...which is startling to me because I consider myself a movie buff.  Christian Bale I knew a lot more of, and liked him as an actor.  Seeing their performances in the respective roles to me was simply a revelation.  They added increased depth and sophistication to the characters, both of which had been stuck in a 60's time warp.  Bond was stifled in this campy caricature of the hedonistic cold war era cad, that even thru global shifts in paradigm never quite seemed to shake the kitsch.  Batman of the 90s was just barely an upgrade over the old Adam West fiasco from the Saturday morning serial... *pow*...*bam*...*boom*

So are either of them blazing new trails as actors...nah, not really (although quiet as is kept Bale is putting together a nice body of work), but what they've been able to accomplish with old archetypes (and significan credit to the directors as well) is really refreshing to me.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »
All allyuh mad

Can Bale or Ledger portray these high levels of fear,angst and tenderness all in one take

dont think soooo

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Aye... before ah even click on de ting (maybe is because ah juss get done writing about it), ah know exactly what it was.

Yuh couldn't tell me when ah was racing toy car in de drain in primary school dat Adam West's Batman wasn't god (small 'g', lol) doh  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »

Credit to Lazenby too... not too many know him from his own one and done... "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".  As Ribbit pointed out, his portrayal shadowed that of Craig's.  More serious...more 'rugged'...not as suave as Connery, not as impish (and tiringly so at the end) as Moore's.

Moore to me was channeling Simon Templar whenever he played Bond...same character, different vehicle.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »
also i think the hype was due to the fans of the comic book finally seeing a dark version coming out as seen in batman begins. This is more true to the comic's version.
I can't wait to see it. Watching batman returns as i type here laffin at danny de vito as penguin
Also HL to me really transformed himself from his teen movie days in ten things i hate about you into a genuine good actor. As rough as it was to watch Brokeback, HL was excellent. And from what i have seen in the clips of batman, it looks like he has done a damn good job with the joker
Back in Trini...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
also i think the hype was due to the fans of the comic book finally seeing a dark version coming out as seen in batman begins. This is more true to the comic's version.
I can't wait to see it. Watching batman returns as i type here laffin at danny de vito as penguin
Also HL to me really transformed himself from his teen movie days in ten things i hate about you into a genuine good actor. As rough as it was to watch Brokeback, HL was excellent. And from what i have seen in the clips of batman, it looks like he has done a damn good job with the joker

Not necessarily... even the comic's Bruce Wayne/Batman has undergone changes over the years.  He wasn't always this dark and brooding...as Ribbit said in reference to the acting, the comic's character too has undergone somewhat of a personality change.  In fact I was reading recently that Val Kilmer didn't want to return (he did the third, after Keaton did the first two... correcting myself) b/c he felt they were making Batman play the comic foil to the movies villains.

As I think about it what we're seeing is that the movie Batman is belatedly tracking the comic version...which is why you'd think this portrayal is truer to the print version.  To explain...the Batman we saw Keaton play 20 years ago was meant to appeal to a particular demographic who grew up on the character.  So his interpretation to me is probably what we saw in the comics from the 70's into the 80's... dark and heroic, but very much a playboy with just a touch of camp to him.  The comic Batman of the 90s was less playboy and more a troubled vigilante genius being pulled in varying directions by an insatiable desire for revenge...and an acknowledgement of the need to do good. Only by doing good did he keep in place the veneer of legitimacy between himself and the villains he so arduously pursued.  If he just gave in to the anger inside him then he was no different from any other masked psychopath.

I think that has been the central deceit throughout Batman... even among the villains, these aren't necessarily bad people, they were all just normal people once whom fate (or madness) dealt a cruel hand to.  Bruce Wayne has been fighting fate on that front... less he too should join the rogues gallery.

Arrite, yeah... I sound like ah Batman geek

;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:33:34 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
no scene man bakes i hear wah yuh saying...and i was de same way with all dem fantasy movies such as lord of de rings
I am a self confessed nerd wen it comes to them tings
Back in Trini...

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »

At least yuh watch it.  Kudos tuh you!!

HL was phenominal in dat.  I went out an buy dat DVD. First time I ever do dat.  He is one actor who transforms himself each and every time for whatever role he takes on.  He does not act, he inhabits!!!  I almost frighten tuh see his Joker!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »
I cant wait to see it... f**king Movie Towne opening it next Wednesday...  I going Tuesday to buy advanced tix... 

So far the lowest rating i have seen from other threads on other forums is 9.5 out of 10 lol     

Cant f**king Wait

Why so Serious?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
I cyah even go see de facking thing tonite... all sold out.  I ent getting chain up tuh buy tix online...dem bastards does charge yuh extra 'handling' fees.  Plus I done buy mih discount passes from Costco so ah might have to sit out de early rounds on dis.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 05:43:45 AM »
My take on some of the comments so far.

Ribbit and NYTWB, I'm a nerd as well and yes.. the comic book fan is getting what we always wanted.. a dark movie version. The last one caught many by surprise, since we were already given-up due to the previous installments. The ones done before were just flat and depended too much on crappy special effects as fillers. And yes, Christian Bale in my opinion is the best batman to date. I credit this to his ability to be "stiff". Kinda like Keanu Reeves. His best role to date is a movie he did as a kid back in the late 80's called"Empire of the sun" after seeing that one I expected much more. But from the ones I've seen after...

Equilibrium - Again, stiff friggin role.
The New World - No comment
The Prestige - Much better performance (he actually tried to show he could be more than "stiff" and tried showing emotions.
3:10 - Ok role (but I'm a huge fan of westerns)
El, Maquinista - no comment

I'll watch his movies, but I know going in what to expect.

Re: HL
As mentioned, I've never been impressed. Maybe it's the roles he chose to do or was forced into doing to make the bills? I've seen
- the bros grimm (poor adaptation of the book, so maybe it was not his fault)
- Four feathers
- Patriot - he was good in this one
- knights tale - it is what it is.

So yes, I'll watch batman later today but only because I think Bale is good at batman, the newer version is that type of dark-hero I like and yes.. I want to see all the hype around HL's role as the joker. The thing that gets me is the ones saying that HL's role is oscar worthy are not the ones voting :) Fans, with their blogs and forums.

BTW, for me.. Pierce was the best Bond ever. Naturally slick! BTW, roger moore was only better than timothy dalton, so that alone cud tell you how crappy a job he did.

I think this batman will break some opening weekend records.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:47:13 AM by mal jeux »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 09:03:01 AM »
ribbit is right on a few points but im looking at the actor himself, bales demeanour and his serious nature added more to batsman's role, his role in the illusionist was also good, very serious portrayal, he brings a sort of strength to the role that other batman characters didnt possess, i also think the director captured the dark side of this comic strip, it seems much more convincing and psychologically twisted.

as for bond, her majestys service is a good example to draw from but craig is the roughest bond we have seen and he has done well, after watching casino royale for the 2nd time i realized how well his transition from the beginning of the movie to he ending was vital in forming th base for what we know bond as...

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
All allyuh mad

dont think soooo

classic stuff man

Batman: "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb"
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »
by most accounts, it sound like it is a great movie.

But I will patiently wait until the hype dies down and I can go to the cinema without having to sit next to a smelly stranger.

Then we can debate the latent theories that Batman and Robin represent the rainbow coalition.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
lol..that was a funny clip... ;D

I'm doing like Pecan and waiting for folks to get fed up and the lines to get shorter. This Batman is a dark humourless creature but then again Batman was one messed up dude from small - Adam West notwithstanding.

Never really felt the urge to see a movie in the earlies...don't like that kind of crowding. Used to review movies for a short time for a publication and had to be there for first screenings in small rooms or line up with the unwashed public...
yuck.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »
What a movie.  What a movie whatamoviewhatamovie.....wow!

In the interest of full disclosure I found that the movie waxed and waned in parts, so in that regard it's a bit inferior to the last installment... and Maggie Gyllenhaal is very hard (yea difficult) on the eyes.  Having thus dispensed with the formalities...

Christian Bale was good... not very good...but good.  I found the digitally altered voice (when in costume) distracting at first, I kept wanting to say "spit out the cotton and just talk dammit!"...but that's really nitpicking.  I won't divulge anything about the plot so no need to worry about spoilers.  I liked the balance of selfishness and sensitivity that was present in his last portrayal of Batman, compared to this one...not going to tip my hand and say where the balance lies here...but less is more, would be my suggestion.

Mal Jeux and those poo-pooing Heath Ledger...let's just put it this way, Heath Ledger has killed the Joker.  If you will indulge me in a bit of hyperbole, though not by much... no one else will ever don the purple and green, or wear that evil grin quite the same again.  If ever an actor posessed a character, this was it...you really had to look hard and closely to see anything resembling Heath Ledger... and I'm not just referring to the make-up or the scarred grin.  What a sick, twisted, tortured, sadistic...evil soul, Ledger's Joker is.  Psychopathy defined.  A brilliant, albeit sad coda to a good career which, judging from this performance, was very much still nascent.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention the brilliant turn put in by Aaron Eckhart, particularly in the last quarter of the movie... those of you familiar enough with the progression of his character as the movie unfolds will take plenty from that...without divulging too much for the uninitiated.  Brilliant job by the costumers, make-up artists, set designers... man, it's really hard to talk about this movie without gushing.  Suffice to say that there was just the perfect marriage of plot, character development (particularly in Eckhart's case), acting, directing (with minor reservations) and lastly filmography.  I'd have to check the credits to see who the filmographer/cinematographer was... but the movie was just visually breath-taking to watch.

In closing I just have two words to say... Sky Hook!!

...lawd
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:36:38 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:37 AM »
Now reach home...all I could say is it up there...worthy or all the reviews it has gotten. I was worried when I saw Daily News give it 5 out of 5 but to say it wasn't worth that would be to find fault with real petty things.
Eckhart as Harvey Dent real underrated, great work...not even gonna talk about HL cuz the previous post say it all.
I not writing for any magazine and all the previous post bout smelly strangers and unwashed public like is some real stush ppl here...so for the regular folk all i go say is go out and watch the movie...it worth the cost (ah doh know how much ah movie is in trini now so ah might have to take that back at some point). Bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 06:32:14 AM »

HL was excellent, it was about time he actually acted and show that he had some talent. And I agree.. he did kill the joker! As you pointed out, Psychopathy defined! But you have to give full props to the makeup people as well.

For me, Aaron Eckhart was the best in this movie. We knew what  to expect from the joker, but Aaron Eckhart's progression of his character was AMAZING!

In comparison to the first.. I still say this movie is hyped due to the whole H as I see no real difference in both.

1]; } ?>