April 26, 2024, 09:00:10 AM

Author Topic: Red Bulls vs Galaxy  (Read 2606 times)

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
Red Bulls vs Galaxy
« on: July 19, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »
Decent summer game on FSC now start. I went this game las yr was one of the greatest ever...hope it reach half that level this time around. bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Red Bulls vs Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
Well yeah! I succumbed to the hype and tuned in. Donovan's last minute heroics almost made up for some of the dead spots.

Wicked move by Juan Pablo Angel. Not a bad introduction for Venezuela's Rojas.

Ruud Gullit pardnah ah eh envy yuh scene.

There is something about MLS games that is missing. A certain flavour is absent even though quality is evident.

During one of the dead spots I started thinking about how difficult it will be for us to place players in the MLS in the future. Ah seeing where their model is heading and it doh look too prosperous for us.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Well yeah! I succumbed to the hype and tuned in. Donovan's last minute heroics almost made up for some of the dead spots.

Wicked move by Juan Pablo Angel. Not a bad introduction for Venezuela's Rojas.

Ruud Gullit pardnah ah eh envy yuh scene.

There is something about MLS games that is missing. A certain flavour is absent even though quality is evident.

During one of the dead spots I started thinking about how difficult it will be for us to place players in the MLS in the future. Ah seeing where their model is heading and it doh look too prosperous for us.

What are your thoughts... the focus on European and South American (in particular) talent?

thing is... I don't even know how much better these SA players are than our own.  The one thing that may give them a leg up is the Academy system that's present in many South and Central American countries.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
Here's the thing: aside from the big or bigger name players, the MLS has really been successful in attracting players from leagues such as the Greek, Dutch, Belgian, Norwegian etc. These players possess an exposure to club ball on a different dimension to what one of our younger prospects would have experienced. Right there the learning curve is different and so is the projected investment.

And, several of these players come from nations like Argentina and elsewhere with a resume of playing outside of their natural zones of comfort.

It appears that the platform is being established to transition solid European players from whatever tier clubs ... and I'm talking players who are not at the end of their careers but players who will be solid role players ... who may be mid to late 20s and who have solid professional credentials ... alongside the South American contingent of first-time exports of which they are several Argentines, Colombians etc. coming with a firm professional base ...

It's difficult to see where the room will be for Caribbean and to some extent Central American players to fit into this league eventually.

I project a furthering of the disparity, not a narrowing. And, although the MLS has its challenges, let's ask ourselves how much would it take for the MLS to reach the level of a Belgian league or a Dutch league or similar league. I think they can reasonably attain that horizon.

I have listened to many of these players (players from Brazil, Argentina among them) applaud and acknowledge that the MLS' infrastructure is first-class and in many instances BETTER than what they left behind them ... we're talking logistical, physical etc ... that speaks volumes.

A sea-change is a realistic prospect if the MLS can ride through a few more years and attain consistently modest growth at a minimum.

Even if one feels we produce players as good as (somebody can deal with that) we'll be faced with a trickle of talent flowing into the MLS rather than a flood. Yuh hadda figure that comparative advantage is not on our side.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
Totally agree... from a sheer business standpoint MLS is going places under Sunil Gulati, I really respect the changes that he's introduced to the business model (decentralizing ownership for one, negotiating televisions and sponsorhip deals for another), even though it's still not perfect (central ownership of player contracts).  I agree with you that it has attracted many solid foreign players, the likes of which caribbean players can't directly compete with.  For all the blows some like to pelt on here, MLS will continue to be a very attractive option for foreign talent for the simple reason that it offers them an opportunity to ply their trade in the US.  These men know their level... and top tier South American or European leagues may not be realistic goals for many...but their quality still offer an upgrade over the current MLS product.  With having to balance the import of foreign talent with the need to develop American talent... it certainly puts our players at a decided disadvantage.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
That's also why I am following what happens to a player like Ngwenya.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »

His name is vaguely familiar, but can't say that I recognize the reference...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Former Dynamo player, now on trial with Bayern ... he's been a journeyman between Europe and the MLS ... was a respected college player. Although there is a suggestion that his "trial" comes as a result of ties he has had to German football through Klinsmann and former MLS personnel, it would be a coup for the MLS to find one of its players landing on the BM roster. Say what, life is a a thing of contacts.

He hasn't been capped a lot for Zimbabwe but another possible angle could be through the former ZIM coach who is German-trained.

My larger point is that MLS hasn't had a flow of players in the opposite direction. Regardless of how he ends up in Europe, MLS will claim some development credit for the player. The league has been selling players like Adu and Szetela but if it moves to selling immediate impact players its stock will benefit - not that Ngwenya is an immediate impact player but his story points out the difficulty of finding one's level (you discuss level) ... a player may outgrow the MLS but not find comfort in Europe. Where should he go?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:14:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 04:28:01 PM »
Former Dynamo player, now on trial with Bayern ... he's been a journeyman between Europe and the MLS ... was a respected college player. Although there is a suggestion that his "trial" comes as a result of ties he has had to German football through Klinsmann and former MLS personnel, it would be a coup for the MLS to find one of its players landing on the BM roster. Say what, life is a a thing of contacts.

He hasn't been capped a lot for Zimbabwe but another possible angle could be through the former ZIM coach who is German-trained.

My larger point is that MLS hasn't had a flow of players in the opposite direction. Regardless of how he ends up in Europe, MLS will claim some development credit for the player. The league has been selling players like Adu and Szetela but if it moves to selling immediate impact players its stock will benefit - not that Ngwenya is an immediate impact player but his story points out the difficulty of finding one's level (you discuss level) ... a player may outgrow the MLS but not find comfort in Europe. Where should he go?

Hmmm good point... maybe a lower-tier european league?  That's the first thing that comes to mind... although ironic that I should immediately think of that, since it's largely the lower-tier leagues from which MLS has been drawing from over there.  An interesting paradox that I hadn't thought of.

I vaguely remember Ngwenya, baby dreads if it's the same guy I'm thinking of.  Only saw him in one or two games between last season and this.  Didn't particularly strike me as anything special...but happy for him still, hope it works out, I like the quality of competition among Bundesliga teams.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »

Hmmm good point... maybe a lower-tier european league?  That's the first thing that comes to mind... although ironic that I should immediately think of that, since it's largely the lower-tier leagues from which MLS has been drawing from over there.  An interesting paradox that I hadn't thought of.

I vaguely remember Ngwenya, baby dreads if it's the same guy I'm thinking of.  Only saw him in one or two games between last season and this.  Didn't particularly strike me as anything special...but happy for him still, hope it works out, I like the quality of competition among Bundesliga teams.

Maybe Landon Donovan - or Zeppo - :devil: can provide the answer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
Maybe Landon Donovan - or Zeppo - :devil: can provide the answer.

Lol, Landon eh schupid, de man find he level... and eking out ah million-dollar existence from it too  :D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »
I saw the match. It was more entertaining than most MLS games. I was fairly impressed with Beckham and Donovan's contribution. If LA had a little more quality up top they would very dangerous with the kind of Service Beckham has been delivering. 

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »

he scored one of the best goals in MLS last season:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JvIJrBv_THs

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »

Thanks... I remember dis from the highlights, and is de same fella I was thinking of although I remembered his hair shorter for some reason.

------------

Jahgol, imagine ah journeyman like Edson Buddle leading MLS in de early scoring race, thanks in large part to Beckham finally being healthy and back on his game.  I'm still yet to see him play, but I hope to make it to a game later on this season or early next season.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:04 AM »

Thanks... I remember dis from the highlights, and is de same fella I was thinking of although I remembered his hair shorter for some reason.

------------

Jahgol, imagine ah journeyman like Edson Buddle leading MLS in de early scoring race, thanks in large part to Beckham finally being healthy and back on his game.  I'm still yet to see him play, but I hope to make it to a game later on this season or early next season.
Buddle looks comprehensively ordinary and Beckham was able to find him at will.

Offline WARRIORKING

• Deep into weaponry
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
I WAS AT THIS GAME.I WAS VERY MUCH ENTERTAINED AND THE STADIUM WAS ALMOST TO CAPACITY FIRST TIME I SEE THAT AT A MLS GAME IN GIANTS STADIUM
My lyrical tendency`s equivalent to a critical felony
Precise behind bars like a criminal`s penalty
Pinnacle definitely, hold so much jewels in my miracle memory
It`s like I`m a physical treasury
I was born with a difficult destiny, not your typical mentally
Givin my vision through treacheries

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
I WAS AT THIS GAME.I WAS VERY MUCH ENTERTAINED AND THE STADIUM WAS ALMOST TO CAPACITY FIRST TIME I SEE THAT AT A MLS GAME IN GIANTS STADIUM

That's good to hear...  I think they sold out this same game last year as well, and it turned out to be probably one of the most entertaining MLS games ever.

1]; } ?>