April 28, 2024, 04:04:25 PM

Author Topic: The rock is gone.....Maka off to PSG  (Read 5524 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: The rock is gone.....Maka off to PSG
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 08:25:12 AM »
Good post, but I think the simplicity and unassuming style of Makalele's play kinda clouds your perception of his ability.  Fernando Hierro claimed that in the dressing room it was unanimous that Makalele was Real Madrid best and most important player "but no one seems to notice what he does"...

When Becks was brought in and Makas sold, Zidane was quoted as saying "why put another coat of paint on the Bentley, if you're losing the entire engine" (or something like that)....

I agree that Keane was a different player especially in that he got more involved in the attacking third, and his style of football gave the appearance that he was more involved and dynamic than Makas.... but Keane himself admittedly was techically average to less than average amongst his peers (that's from his own mouth).... and prided himself on attitude and hard work... so let's not create this imaginary gulf in talent between Keane and Makalele- they both had their own methods of compensating for their lack of technical sophistication...

I agree with most of what you said, but I can't agree with your claim that Keane was more talented that Makas by far ... unless we qualify what you mean by talent...

The talent talk is a semantics thing that will take us nowhere, I just thinking of who you would want on your side, who is mmore valuablehigher rated/ better footballer. I agree athat Maka, and players like him, get a hard rap because of the nature of his position.

He influences the game without even touching or intercepting the ball.

Just by being the right place he can direct the opponents’ play and lead to his team winning possession.

That being said you and I know that, as good and as necessary as that stuff it, it is not the same as hitting a 60 yard pass or rolling a ball over a man head and down his back.

You can get another player to replace the best DM in the world with a lot less droppoff in quality than replacing a creative player like Zidane, Ronaldo, Kaka, Rivaldo etc.

That is why we consider those players more talented.

Comparing Keane and Maka is also difficult because Keane is not playing right now which is why I chose Essien as a suitable comparison.

So as good as Keane was if you picking a side and had a choice between Keane and Zidane most would choose Zidane. Likewise if you have a choice between Keane (Essien) and Makalele most would choose Keane.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »
Wha de?

JDB, allyuh reading ah different thread to me? how everybody putting words in my mouth so?

to reiterate!

I never said I would take Makalele over Essien.. All I said was that his departure from Chelsea was cushioned by the fact that they have a boss player like Essien for the midfield.

Didn't say that uyou did bro.

Merely making the comparison between Keane and Essien. Since you said that you would take Makalele over Keane would also take him over Essien.

I would be very surprised if you did. The Chelsea/Essien/Maka role talk was just an aside.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »

The talent talk is a semantics thing that will take us nowhere, I just thinking of who you would want on your side, who is mmore valuablehigher rated/ better footballer. I agree athat Maka, and players like him, get a hard rap because of the nature of his position.

He influences the game without even touching or intercepting the ball.

Just by being the right place he can direct the opponents’ play and lead to his team winning possession.

That being said you and I know that, as good and as necessary as that stuff it, it is not the same as hitting a 60 yard pass or rolling a ball over a man head and down his back.

You can get another player to replace the best DM in the world with a lot less droppoff in quality than replacing a creative player like Zidane, Ronaldo, Kaka, Rivaldo etc.

That is why we consider those players more talented.

Comparing Keane and Maka is also difficult because Keane is not playing right now which is why I chose Essien as a suitable comparison.

So as good as Keane was if you picking a side and had a choice between Keane and Zidane most would choose Zidane. Likewise if you have a choice between Keane (Essien) and Makalele most would choose Keane.

but therein lies the fallacy..

CDM is the hardest position to fill on a football fieldl.. the rarest commodity..

if you have the funds, you could find a striker anywhere.. A winger yuh could find dat too. Defenders easy to find..

But a good CDM.. presha!

Remember how Man Utd search de length and breadth to replace Keane??

But yet still all those other more glamorous positions get the plaudits.. Thats why sides could sell Makalele to buy Beckham. Those are the players that put headlines in the papers..

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 08:45:50 AM »
Wha de?

JDB, allyuh reading ah different thread to me? how everybody putting words in my mouth so?

to reiterate!

I never said I would take Makalele over Essien.. All I said was that his departure from Chelsea was cushioned by the fact that they have a boss player like Essien for the midfield.

Didn't say that uyou did bro.

Merely making the comparison between Keane and Essien. Since you said that you would take Makalele over Keane would also take him over Essien.

I would be very surprised if you did. The Chelsea/Essien/Maka role talk was just an aside.

cool scene..

in any case i was never expecting Essien to play the role the same way like Makalele did. 

If you look at the times Essien started there over the last couple seasons, he got forward alot more and was more influential on the offensive side of things. The thing is Essien is so good, and such a physical force that he could participate in the attack and get back and cover without a problem. Thats not to say he was better than Makalele though because defensively, Makalele was in his own league.. Last season though, age was kinda ketching up with Makalele, and the only reason Essien didn't start there more often is because of the RB issue.

Chelsea on the whole I think will play a much more open brand this season, and I'm anxiously looking forward to the transition..

Imagine Essien, Ballack, Lampard, Deco and Joe Cole plus a lone forward up top and is ah steady brand knocking..

cyah wait!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »

If Keane were Spanish or Italian, he would have won World Footballer of the Year.

REALLY
and what amazing feat of brilliance did he display to be deserving of such an accolade

Roy Keane was never the best player in the EPL far less the world.

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>