March 29, 2024, 06:49:29 AM

Author Topic: The rock is gone.....Maka off to PSG  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
The rock is gone.....Maka off to PSG
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:45:34 AM »
de man was a great soldier for the Blues....All the best :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3846773,00.html

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The rock is gone.....Maka off to PSG
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:49 AM »
boy that rock crumble long time. 

His best days were at Real Madrid.  Since then is only fumes (and reputation) that he has been running off of.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »

His best days were at Real Madrid.  Since then is only fumes (and reputation) that he has been running off of.

you mad or what??

MVP in chelsea's first title winning season and a big factor in all their successes to date.. the man is ah boss among bosses..

at least the blow is cushioned by essien being there and obi mikel covering but no one will ever be the same.. The man singlehandedly revolutionize the CDM role to such an extent that its commonly referred to as the makalele role.

all de best maka.. :salute:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
My favourite French team not a bad team 2 go 2
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »

you mad or what??

MVP in chelsea's first title winning season and a big factor in all their successes to date.. the man is ah boss among bosses..

at least the blow is cushioned by essien being there and obi mikel covering but no one will ever be the same.. The man singlehandedly revolutionize the CDM role to such an extent that its commonly referred to as the makalele role.

Errr...Roy Keane defined the holding midfield role in his time at Utd more than Makalele ever did at Real Madrid and Chelsea. See seasons 1993/94, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1998/99 and 2002/2003 for evidence.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:58:54 AM »

you mad or what??

Errr...Roy Keane defined the holding midfield role in his time at Utd more than Makalele ever did at Real Madrid and Chelsea. See seasons 1993/94, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1998/99 and 2002/2003 for evidence.

I beg to differ..

Keane might have been great; even legendary at what he did at Manchester, but imo I would characterize his game as superb rather than revolutionary.

What Makalele did was to perfect that role of sitting in front the back four hoovering up anything loose in that area and always making the simple pass to be the focal point of initiating the attack.. Despite being one of the most technically limited players on the team, he would often be targeted by opponents as the key to stopping Real Madrid's/Chelsea's offense.. a testament to the level of his tactical discipline.

He had a whole different methodology to the CDM compared to Roy Keane..

Imo Makalele was a much smarter player than Keane ever was, while Keane's game was built much more on heart and passion...

I give Keane his props, but I would take Makalele over him every day of the week.. jmho

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
[quote omarldinho]Imo Makalele was a much smarter player than Keane ever was, while Keane's game was built much more on heart and passion...

I give Keane his props, but I would take Makalele over him every day of the week.. jmho

All Makelele did was play role of mop and bucket, albeit very well.

There was nothing unique about what he did. He just did it better than most.

Keane played the same role but was more dynamic, see the game against Juve in '99 in Turin. He did all the things you laud Makele for and more. Makalele could never influence the outcome of a game in the way that Keane could. Makelele was a very good midfielder within a certain framework.

To say Keane wasn't a smart player is just bizarre. Heart and passion? He was the team captain...I would have thought these would have been pre-requsites for such a role. But you're ignoring the fact that Keane had technique and a high pass completion percentage (OPTA) and could play at right back, centre back in in central midfield. Makelele was a very good holding midfielder because thats all he could do.

Keane is adept at playing the attacking and defensive midfield with distinction...and has done so.

If Keane were Spanish or Italian, he would have won World Footballer of the Year.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
If Keane were Spanish or Italian, he would have won World Footballer of the Year.

You forget, World Cup and Euro.  ;D ;D ;D
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:10 AM »

::) ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »
i think you're misconstruing what i said..

i never said Keane wasn't a smart player, and I'm in agreement with most of what you said.. I just think Makalele was smarter and much more discipline and tactically aware.

I'm not arguing who's the better player, i personally prefer Makalele but I can't begrudge ah man if he prefers Keane.

Why Makalele revolutionized the role is exactly for the reasons you just stated.. You sound like Florentino Perez with his: "He can't shoot, he can't head the ball and he can only pass the ball 5 yards".

Thats exactly what was revolutionary about his game.. If you want to label it the 'mop and bucket role', then fine it just means he revolutionized the CDM role as strictly a "mop and bucket" position on the field and showed how effective that was for the teams he played at.  Its exactly what he did best and he was smart enough to know never to step outside of that box. I never wanted him far forward joining the attack, or playing right back or launching pin point long balls, or shots from outside the area because it would mean he would be stepping out of his forte into a zone where he's painfully limited. In fact, for Chelsea and Real Madrid, anytime he was allowed to have too much of the ball, the offense suffered.. Look at the Liverpool v Chelsea CL fixtures over the last few seasons and thats where you have to give Benitez credit for forcing him to hold on to the ball and isolating the other attacking players.

Look at it this way.. You always hear about other clubs and national teams trying to integrate a player into a "Makalele" role to suit their system, but i can't remember ever hearing clubs want to adjust their system or player to play the Keane role.  I hope that sums up what I mean by revolutionize..

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

i never said Keane wasn't a smart player, and I'm in agreement with most of what you said.. I just think Makalele was smarter and much more discipline and tactically aware.

I'm not arguing who's the better player, i personally prefer Makalele but I can't begrudge ah man if he prefers Keane.

Why Makalele revolutionized the role is exactly for the reasons you just stated.. You sound like Florentino Perez with his: "He can't shoot, he can't head the ball and he can only pass the ball 5 yards".

Thats exactly what was revolutionary about his game.. If you want to label it the 'mop and bucket role', then fine it just means he revolutionized the CDM role as strictly a "mop and bucket" position on the field and showed how effective that was for the teams he played at.  Its exactly what he did best and he was smart enough to know never to step outside of that box. I never wanted him far forward joining the attack, or playing right back or launching pin point long balls, or shots from outside the area because it would mean he would be stepping out of his forte into a zone where he's painfully limited. In fact, for Chelsea and Real Madrid, anytime he was allowed to have too much of the ball, the offense suffered.. Look at the Liverpool v Chelsea CL fixtures over the last few seasons and thats where you have to give Benitez credit for forcing him to hold on to the ball and isolating the other attacking players.

Look at it this way.. You always hear about other clubs and national teams trying to integrate a player into a "Makalele" role to suit their system, but i can't remember ever hearing clubs want to adjust their system or player to play the Keane role.  I hope that sums up what I mean by revolutionize..

I'll go back to what I said before. He didn't revolutionise anything. He was just very good at a well established role.

Heres some more players who were just as good, if not better at what Makelele does...

Redondo, Zito, Emerson, Falcao, Pirri, Netzer, Stielike....

And I'm just calling names off the top of my head there.

Makelele would be included in that list as well, which is precisely my point. He was one of the best in his position...along with the above (including Keane). You talk as if he were streets ahead of all of them.

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »
lemme chime een nah.....

Big respect to keano. he was technically, and more naturally talented than makelele. he had more heart, passion and neve say die attitude in his little toe than makelele could ever have. an i agree wholeheartedly that he shouldve been world player of the year on many occasion.

But.....

Claude is  a boss. nobody was better than closing down passing lanes dan him. he couldnt pass to save he life and dam sure couldnt shoot. even in a penalty d keeper was favoured. But claude was d greates defensive link i ever see. he change d whole defensive mid thinkin.

sometimes he playin an yu doh even know he playin. anonymous as ever but efficient like  a bitch. emerson not in claude class as a defensive midfielder. he is a boss.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
an i agree wholeheartedly that he shouldve been world player of the year on many occasion.

Jes curious.  Dat "world" allyuh talkin bout only exist in de EPL ent?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »

I'll go back to what I said before. He didn't revolutionise anything. He was just very good at a well established role.

Heres some more players who were just as good, if not better at what Makelele does...

Redondo, Zito, Emerson, Falcao, Pirri, Netzer, Stielike....

And I'm just calling names off the top of my head there.

Makelele would be included in that list as well, which is precisely my point. He was one of the best in his position...along with the above (including Keane). You talk as if he were streets ahead of all of them.

V1 I have to agree with Omar regarding how Maka played and his role. Maka could not pass his way out off a paper bag but what he did he was great at; limited but was an excellent reader of the game which allowed him to be around much longer than someone with an equally limited set of skills set. He did not score a lot or set up to many players. Keane had more variety to his game, was dynamic and was as equally influential but did not last as long because he played more of a power/physical type of game. The right system has allowed Maka to keep playing. Keane on the other hand in the papers spouting self rightgeous shite!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »

I'm curious as to how you determine that Makalele was more tactically aware than Keane... Did you really pay that close attention to the two players throughout their careers with regard to the team tactics under which they played......

With regard to revolutionizing the role, just because some people may refer to it as a Makalele role doesn't mean he revolutionized it. I think what you're trying to say is that he epitomized it. I agree with that. Because he played it so well, it's now synonymous with his name......He played it to "perfection" at times and it was remarkable how simple he made it look.... The holding role may be referred to by some as the Makalele role, but I think the role itself is the same now as it was before Makas played it..... so I eh sure anything was revolutionized.

Keane vs Makas is a matter of personal preference I guess...

my 2 cents.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 12:03:15 PM »
an i agree wholeheartedly that he shouldve been world player of the year on many occasion.

Jes curious.  Dat "world" allyuh talkin bout only exist in de EPL ent?

You forget that the mans excellent displays in the Champions League and carrying a mediocre Irish side on his back on countless occasions.

Thats the world that 'we're' talking about.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

I'm curious as to how you determine that Makalele was more tactically aware than Keane... Did you really pay that close attention to the two players throughout their careers with regard to the team tactics under which they played......

With regard to revolutionizing the role, just because some people may refer to it as a Makalele role doesn't mean he revolutionized it. I think what you're trying to say is that he epitomized it. I agree with that. Because he played it so well, it's now synonymous with his name......He played it to "perfection" at times and it was remarkable how simple he made it look.... The holding role may be referred to by some as the Makalele role, but I think the role itself is the same now as it was before Makas played it..... so I eh sure anything was revolutionized.

Keane vs Makas is a matter of personal preference I guess...

my 2 cents.

when i said tactically aware, i was following on from my point about Makalele being a smarter and more disciplined player..

In essence, the way Makelele covered and played his zone of the pitch, knowing when to commit, when to drop off on defence... knowing when to pass, when to hold, where to run on offence..  For me, Keane was more the kind of player to dominate the pitch through sheer power and presence but sometimes he was just over wild.. Also, I rate Makalele as an infinitely much better tackler than Keane..

I still say Makalele brought something different to the CDM in terms of making it a specialized role on the football pitch.. No offensive responsibilities whatsoever, yet still the most important player on the whole pitch.. but thats just my opinion..

And as for the Keane, World player of the year talk. Maybe allyuh should scroll down the list of World POY's over the time Keane was playing and come again.. Thats something only a Man United or staunch EPL fan would say.

At no point in his career do I think Keane was the best player on the planet over the course of a year..

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »
[quote omarldinho]At no point in his career do I think Keane was the best player on the planet over the course of a year..

Was your TV in for repair during the 98/99 season?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

And as for the Keane, World player of the year talk. Maybe allyuh should scroll down the list of World POY's over the time Keane was playing and come again.. Thats something only a Man United or staunch EPL fan would say.

At no point in his career do I think Keane was the best player on the planet over the course of a year..

wholeheartedly cosign...

So much so that I didn't even bother to address that garbage...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »
[quote omarldinho]At no point in his career do I think Keane was the best player on the planet over the course of a year..

Ummm in 98 It was Zidane & Ronaldo (1 & 2)  and in 99 it was Rivaldo & Becks (1 & 2)....

If you have the audacity to say that Roy Keane was better than Zidane in 98 or more appropriately Rivaldo in 99 (which seems to be what you're getting at mentioning the 98/99 season), then we must be speaking of two different sports....or maybe your TV needed some repairs.... 

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »

No, it was working perfectly..

That season, between ESPN Int'l and Fox, yuh used to get level EPL, Spanish League, German League, Dutch League and Italian league football so I was even more objective than now.

Were you living in England that year?

Thats the year Rivaldo won it and rightly so.

Lemme vex yuh lil bit...

Ah was even ranking Effenberg higher than Keane in that treble winning season.  :D

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 01:31:41 PM »
ManU had a great side in 98-99 and deep bench. After all Keane eh even play in the final and their top scorers were cold on the day and yet????
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »
First among few equals in his position. We will surely be hearing about him in Lique 1.

Allyuh ever see his woman? No wonder he want to go back to France.

T&T welcomes back...the King

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 06:24:58 AM »

Ummm in 98 It was Zidane & Ronaldo (1 & 2)  and in 99 it was Rivaldo & Becks (1 & 2)....

If you have the audacity to say that Roy Keane was better than Zidane in 98 or more appropriately Rivaldo in 99 (which seems to be what you're getting at mentioning the 98/99 season), then we must be speaking of two different sports....or maybe your TV needed some repairs.... 

Erm...Zidane played in that game against United in Turin and was largely anonymous even after Juve went 2-0 up whilst Keane practically dominated the midfield on his own and carried United on his back and back into the game (something Keane had done on many ocaasions during the course of that season), scoring in the process.

Sorry dey.

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 06:26:32 AM »

wholeheartedly cosign...

But you did, in the following post.

Strange.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »

Erm...Zidane played in that game against United in Turin and was largely anonymous even after Juve went 2-0 up whilst Keane practically dominated the midfield on his own and carried United on his back and back into the game (something Keane had done on many ocaasions during the course of that season), scoring in the process.

Sorry dey.

So one game makes Keane better than Zidane? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt despite the rediculousness of your contention, but that said, you just confirmed yourself unworthy of an objective debate with regard to this topic.

Take win.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:29:52 AM by kicker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »

wholeheartedly cosign...

But you did, in the following post.

Strange.

your point? I said, I didn't...as in previously (hence the use of past tense)...and then you counter, "but you did in the following post".... your point?   :-\

Anyways thanks master of the obvious for pointing out that I did in the following post.....

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:30:37 AM by kicker »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
Too many posts to respond to each one so this is a general post. I agree and disagree with parts of what everybody is saying.

I agree iwth TVO that Keane was a better player than Makalele. More talented by far and equally as intelligent, probably moreso when you consider that Keane was responsible for organizing the whole side, including attack.

I disagree that they played the same role however. Keane really was a well rounded midfielder that was so good at the hard stuff that he was able to cover the back four without it being his exclusive role. With Makalele that was his only role. He was always holding back on attacking plays. Keane started attacks and was involved in the build-up and finish, all the while being responsible for defensive cover.

Without thinking too hard the closest player to Keane today is Essien and in his later more limited years Gattuso.

So Omar if you will pick Maka over Essien you need to have your head checked. Chelsea will be wasting him this year if they expect him to play in Maka's limited role. They need to be prepared to play a more open game with Essien providing the bite in midfield without wasting his tremendous drive and versatility.

Omar you can't discount Keane as just heart and passion. What the man had was drive which, similar to Essien, could have hime turning a game on his own, something that Maka could never do.

That being said Keane couldn't beat Zidane or Rivaldo for World POY. He had about 5 fantastic season where he could have been POY in England every year. For all Beckham's flash Keane was a better player in the treble year and in 2000. But you can't compare thattpo players like Zidane and Rivaldo though, just as Essien's name will not even get mentioned alongside the likes of Ronaldinho, Kaka and Ronaldo.

Those kinds of players just don't get that kind of appreciation.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
Too many posts to respond to each one so this is a general post. I agree and disagree with parts of what everybody is saying.

I agree iwth TVO that Keane was a better player than Makalele. More talented by far and equally as intelligent, probably moreso when you consider that Keane was responsible for organizing the whole side, including attack.

I disagree that they played the same role however. Keane really was a well rounded midfielder that was so good at the hard stuff that he was able to cover the back four without it being his exclusive role. With Makalele that was his only role. He was always holding back on attacking plays. Keane started attacks and was involved in the build-up and finish, all the while being responsible for defensive cover.

Without thinking too hard the closest player to Keane today is Essien and in his later more limited years Gattuso.

So Omar if you will pick Maka over Essien you need to have your head checked. Chelsea will be wasting him this year if they expect him to play in Maka's limited role. They need to be prepared to play a more open game with Essien providing the bite in midfield without wasting his tremendous drive and versatility.

Omar you can't discount Keane as just heart and passion. What the man had was drive which, similar to Essien, could have hime turning a game on his own, something that Maka could never do.

That being said Keane couldn't beat Zidane or Rivaldo for World POY. He had about 5 fantastic season where he could have been POY in England every year. For all Beckham's flash Keane was a better player in the treble year and in 2000. But you can't compare thattpo players like Zidane and Rivaldo though, just as Essien's name will not even get mentioned alongside the likes of Ronaldinho, Kaka and Ronaldo.

Those kinds of players just don't get that kind of appreciation.

Good post, but I think the simplicity and unassuming style of Makalele's play kinda clouds your perception of his ability.  Fernando Hierro claimed that in the dressing room it was unanimous that Makalele was Real Madrid best and most important player "but no one seems to notice what he does"...

When Becks was brought in and Makas sold, Zidane was quoted as saying "why put another coat of paint on the Bentley, if you're losing the entire engine" (or something like that)....

I agree that Keane was a different player especially in that he got more involved in the attacking third, and his style of football gave the appearance that he was more involved and dynamic than Makas.... but Keane himself admittedly was techically average to less than average amongst his peers (that's from his own mouth).... and prided himself on attitude and hard work... so let's not create this imaginary gulf in talent between Keane and Makalele- they both had their own methods of compensating for their lack of technical sophistication...

I agree with most of what you said, but I can't agree with your claim that Keane was more talented that Makas by far ... unless we qualify what you mean by talent...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »
Wha de?

JDB, allyuh reading ah different thread to me? how everybody putting words in my mouth so?

to reiterate!

I never said I would take Makalele over Essien.. All I said was that his departure from Chelsea was cushioned by the fact that they have a boss player like Essien for the midfield.

I never said Makalele was better than Keane. I said they represented two entirely different types of players for the same position, then went at great pains to stress that my personal preference is Makalele before Keane any day of the week. See response to TVO here..

All this talk about who more skillful or who better than who doesn't speak to my point about the way in which Makalele revolutionized the CDM role.. I could also speak about the way in which Pirlo revolutionized the CDM role as he plays it in an entirely new and different way to everyone else on the planet, but that doesn't necessitate an argument on who's better between Pirlo, Keane and Makalele.

I never really like Keane but I respect his game to the fullest. However, still not sure if he coulda cut it outside of the EPL.. Thats ah next thing about Makalele.. When a player can make the transition from another European League (Italian, Spanish) to the EPL and still maintain his level, then you know he is ah borse player.. Thats the most difficult transition possible in football right now..

Makalele is one of my favorite players of all time.. If I see him in the street tomorrow, I will make it a point to personally stop him and thank him for the joy he brought me just by the way he played the game. I actually lock off Real Madrid completely when they sell him and never could take them serious since.

So there.  I freely admitted by personal bias so as not to further cloud the discusson..

Now if only Venerable One could do the same. In this thread he saying Keane should have been World Player of the Year, in a next thread he chalking down Man Utd tapping up Berbatov to some paranoid conspiracy theory of a master plan by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.. In yet another thread he saying Man Utd is the hallmark of moral ethics and Real Madrid is the worst and most scandulous club in the world.. and dey smaller than Man Utd too.  ::)

1]; } ?>