April 28, 2024, 09:06:02 PM

Author Topic: CHELSEA FOREVER! - Home of the Champions!  (Read 632015 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CHELSEA FOREVER! - Home of the Champions!
« Reply #2010 on: September 20, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
As the movement unfolded, my thought was that Torres would have work to do to find himself with a favourable angle, but it quickly became clear that his touch to avoid De Gea disrupting the play wasn't fatal. Not only was the goal available for the taking, there was NO threat of a defender recovering to disrupt.

Exceptional vision and precision by Anelka. That pass should have been punctuated with a goal!!!

There is no doubt that De Gea was influential in forcing Torres to Torres' left.

Ramires made the pass...

Maybe he talking about the goal that actually scored  ;D which I think was a harder one to score than the 2nd.

Big Up!

Quite right. Pass by Anelka on the converted chance on goal. Pass by Ramires on the fail. Kicker yuh know it's not like me to deny meh player Ramires his credit (since I've been promoting him from Day One) ... but seemingly I did so ... unintentionally :)

He's been errant at times but when he comes good, look out. Interestingly, I thought he was a possible candidate for a substitution based on his first-half rendition ... as such I was curious as to whether AVB would interpret it that way, and I'm glad he didn't. Also good because gladdis got to rush Nani's shirt.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:11:37 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 20, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
Same thing I was thinking i.e. how yuh could miss Ramires on that pass...Ah know dais yuh boy!  ;D

Your follow up sentence - "that pass SHOULD have been punctuated by a goal" is what confused me I suppose... especially since everything else in the post was about the missed chance by Torres.

Anyhow yeah- good pass by Anelka on the goal. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 20, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
Column: Chelsea coach needs to study 'Art of War'

Published September 19, 2011 | Associated Press
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/09/19/column-chelsea-coach-needs-to-study-art-war/

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas either hasn't read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" or didn't quite understand it. Because one of the central tenents (sic) of that ancient Chinese military treatise on how to win is that you should avoid your enemy's strengths when you can.

In soccer terms, that means Chelsea should never have gone to Manchester United's fortress of Old Trafford expecting to beat Alex Ferguson's team in an O.K. Corral-style shootout. As Sun Tzu undoubtedly would have said had he been in the terraces on Sunday, all-out attacks on United's goal without resolute defending against its counterattacks, speed and vision will often end in tears, especially if you take a misfiring popgun like Fernando Torres to the fight.

Torres' miss of United's wide-open goal in the 83rd minute was as tragically comic as the drunken gunslinger who reaches for his holster only to find that he left his pistol on the bar.
Having rounded goalkeeper David De Gea, Chelsea's 50 million pound striker needed only to keep his cool and tap the ball in. Instead, somehow, he left-footed it wide.

Torres buried his head in the immaculate turf after that failure, which again suggested that Chelsea isn't going to win silverware this season if he leads the attack.

His neatly taken second-half goal — a right-footed looped poke over De Gea at the end of a prescient run that foresaw a fine pass from substitute Nicolas Anelka — could not redeem Torres for his other squandered chances. Rather, it served only as a jarring reminder of the goal-hound and Golden Ball candidate that Torres used to be for Liverpool. With every passing week, its decision to sell Torres looks like one of the smartest pieces of business done on Merseyside since Brian Epstein signed the Fab Four.

Like a neon sign, Torres' erstwhile speed, touch and skills now only come in momentary flashes. His ability to light up a whole match has gone. He opts to pass where he previously would have shot, a telltale sign of a man who no longer fully trusts his instincts. On Sunday, Torres worked hard to get into dangerous positions and to test United's backline. But, without goals, that won't be enough to wrest the Premier League trophy from United.

Yet Chelsea's 3-1 defeat was not an individual failure, but a strategic one. Sun Tzu teaches that a clever general fights on his own terms and takes great care to know his enemy. Villas-Boas appeared to do neither, leaving wide open spaces across the Old Trafford pitch that played into the hands of Ferguson's squad built for quickness and movement.

Three months of Villas-Boas' tenure is too soon to judge him, the type of football he wants at Chelsea and how this loss might cause him to rethink. But after the more studious, methodic and at times plodding philosophies of Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti, Chelsea's billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich now appears to have a manager more willing to throw caution to the wind and simply go for it.

Yet falling pointlessly in a hail of shots like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid surely isn't what Abramovich and Villas-Boas aspire to long-term. Chelsea allowed Chris Smalling a free header for United's first goal, failed to close down Nani for its second and couldn't contain Phil Jones' industry that set up Wayne Rooney for the third.

Back and forth the two sides went, hammering at each other like prizefighters, their eyes fixed on reaching each other's goal, instead of trying to prevent each other from getting there. For neutrals, it was hugely entertaining and heady stuff. Post-match, Ferguson likened it to basketball game.

"You attack, we'll attack, retreat, counter. Oh, it was agony," he said.

"Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest," Sun Tzu teaches. Too often, Chelsea's defending was neither.

Villas-Boas signaled as much by yanking off the pedestrian Frank Lampard at halftime for Anelka. That decision suggests that Villas-Boas isn't afraid to ditch Chelsea's old guard if they underperform. That showed decisiveness, a willingness to try different approaches and considerable self-confidence from a man who, at 33, is little or no older than some of his best-known players.

As he helps Chelsea transition to a younger team, those qualities could bear fruit if Abramovich breaks the habit of a lifetime and actually gives Villas-Boas sufficient time — as Ferguson has had so much of at United — instead of simply replacing his manager after a season or two.

Villas-Boas is now another entry in the huge encyclopedia of managers that Ferguson has outfoxed in his 25 years at United. And this one, the 69-year-old noted, is young enough to be his grandson.

"I like youth. I like young people," Ferguson said pre-game.

Surely because, as Villas-Boas showed, they can also be naive.

___

John Leicester is an international sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jleicester(at)ap.org or follow him at twitter.com/johnleicester

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/09/19/column-chelsea-coach-needs-to-study-art-war/#ixzz1YWvIyKFH
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:26:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 21, 2011, 03:20:07 AM »
Only a c**t like you would watch a 'keeper close in on an attacker and say he had "nothing" to do with what the attacker did to circumvent him. Only a c**t like you would interpret what players do as them feeling they have an "absolute right" in "any fashion" especially when most sensible people understand that when players want to leave (and the team wants to act as if they don't want to release them) they have to act in sometimes a less than savoury manner. Torres wasn't the first to do it and he certainly won't be the last. Get over it already, bitch-ass. 

I have no idea what you carrying with... only thing I would suggest is that you either learn to read, or in the alternative pay closer attention to what you read. :frustrated:

As the movement unfolded, my thought was that Torres would have work to do to find himself with a favourable angle, but it quickly became clear that his touch to avoid De Gea disrupting the play wasn't fatal. Not only was the goal available for the taking, there was NO threat of a defender recovering to disrupt.

Exceptional vision and precision by Anelka. That pass should have been punctuated with a goal!!!

There is no doubt that De Gea was influential in forcing Torres to Torres' left.

I don't think anyone's arguing either of these bolded points... speaking for myself at least.

That was merely my contribution ... but, isn't De Gea's role part and parcel of your disagreement with Chow?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 21, 2011, 06:17:09 AM »
Is it just me or does Lukaku bear a resemblance to Eddie Phillip?

giggsy11

« Reply #2015 on: September 21, 2011, 06:51:51 AM »
Bottomline, the man choke; the same way Giggsy did against Arsenal a few years ago!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 21, 2011, 07:06:55 AM »

lol

Strength and powers

One is one. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:24:00 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2017 on: September 21, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »
Dinho  you is wicked man dred.  :)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »

One iz One? :rotfl:

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
Meanwhile TnT advertises itself by holding some conference or something

CHELSEA SIGNS WITH BARBADOS
http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2458091,00.html

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of a three-year deal with the Barbados Tourism Authority.

The exclusive tourism partnership will help the BTA further promote the island of Barbados to a wider audience across three key territories - North America, the Caribbean and the UK.

Chelsea will look to explore rolling out specific community football coaching programmes on the island and in the UK through the club's award-winning charity, the Chelsea Foundation.

Barbados is fast becoming an outstanding sporting destination. With excellent on-island facilities coupled with the enthusiasm of its people, Barbados boasts the legacy of hosting a number of world-class sports events.

Such events included the 2006 PGA World Golf Championships, the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup Finals, the 2010 Sentebale charity polo match with Prince Harry of Wales, the 2010 Fireball World Sailing Championship and the 2010 ICC Twenty20 Cricket Finals.

This year Barbados also hosted the inaugural Football Legends Invitational Tournament. The event saw legends from seven Premier League clubs- with a Chelsea side including Gianfranco Zola, Gustavo Poyet, Frank Leboeuf, Roberto Di Matteo and Ken Monkou - and one PFA all-star team compete at the Kensington Oval, the island's famous cricketing arena.

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay said: 'We are excited to be working together with the Barbados Tourism Authority.This is a great opportunity for us, using our excellent and award-winning CSR programmes, to engage with fans in the Caribbean who have a real passion for Chelsea and the Premier League.'

Petra Roach, BTA vice-president sales and marketing UK, who is pictured with Di Matteo and Didier Drogba at our Cobham training ground, said: 'This partnership is much more than getting our Barbados message out to Chelsea fans on matchday. We want to harness the charitable spirit of the club and work together on some exciting community projects both in Barbados and the UK.

'Barbados and Chelsea have a natural synergy as we both strive to be the best in our respective fields. It fits perfectly with our theme for 2012, The Year of Sport; from grass roots to world class, and we are building upon Barbados' already strong reputation for sporting events and activities.'

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
That was merely my contribution ... but, isn't De Gea's role part and parcel of your disagreement with Chow?

No problem... the only disagreement appears to be the interpretation of the degree of interference presented by De Gea.  He insists that De Gea "forced" Torres into a heavy touch, whereas I see it as Torres' poor form which lead to the heavy touch.  That De Gea forced Torres to go around him is without doubt.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 21, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Just back from tonight's game. 0-0 aet, we won on penalties. Decent performance from some of the younger players, we controlled the match even though we were down to 10 men from the start of the second half.

Lukaku might be a young Drogba, but he is not really a Premiership player at the moment....his heading, shooting technique, passing technique and pass selection are very poor. He also doesn't throw his weight around enough, although that will probably come to him sooner than the technical side of things. Hopefully we dont need to rely on him too much this year.

Bertrand looked pretty good at left back, a very similar player to Ashley Cole.

Romeu looked awesome. He could easily bounce Mikel out of the side permanently. This was his first match at Stamford Bridge but he was full of flicks and tricks for the full 120 minutes. He made one or two mistakes but did extremely well in winning back the ball every time he lost it. You could see he was a Barca player - he kept the game ticking over right through, much like Xavi and Iniesta would (although Romeu is a defensive midfielder).

Man of the Match - David Luiz. Pure entertainment. Constantly getting forward, always diving into challenges, stirring up the crowd, arguing with the ref, arguing with Bobby Zamora, playing mind games with the Fulham players during the penalty shootout. I could see why we dont play him in important games though, lol.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 21, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »

No problem... the only disagreement appears to be the interpretation of the degree of interference presented by De Gea.  He insists that De Gea nullforcednull Torres into a heavy touch, whereas I see it as Torres' poor form which lead to the heavy touch.  That De Gea forced Torres to go around him is without doubt.

Asshole, nobody measures "degree of interference" in a situation like that. Torees ran onto a breakaway pass, De Gea came out to shut down his operational space. Torres turned and had to circumvent the advancing goalkeeper and his touch beang "heavy" according to you had everything to do with De Gea "interfering" however little YOU thin the "degree of interference". If De Gea would have stayed on his line, or NOT closed down Torres' space within which he had to operate, Torres would have done something with the ball OTHER than what he did and that could have been anyrthing. You dey like a forensic jackass counting "steps" and measuring "degree of interference". PURE jackass. No additives, no preservatives.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #2023 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »

No problem... the only disagreement appears to be the interpretation of the degree of interference presented by De Gea.  He insists that De Gea nullforcednull Torres into a heavy touch, whereas I see it as Torres' poor form which lead to the heavy touch.  That De Gea forced Torres to go around him is without doubt.

Asshole, nobody measures "degree of interference" in a situation like that. Torees ran onto a breakaway pass, De Gea came out to shut down his operational space. Torres turned and had to circumvent the advancing goalkeeper and his touch beang "heavy" according to you had everything to do with De Gea "interfering" however little YOU thin the "degree of interference". If De Gea would have stayed on his line, or NOT closed down Torres' space within which he had to operate, Torres would have done something with the ball OTHER than what he did and that could have been anyrthing. You dey like a forensic jackass counting "steps" and measuring "degree of interference". PURE jackass. No additives, no preservatives.

your stressing over a man who has probably never played amateur sports in his life, the only thing he ever beat was books, not competitors in sport.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
Just back from the game. A comfortable 4-1 blowout of Swansea despite playing 55 minutes with 10 men.

Torres is $h!t. Pretty much did nothing useful up until the moment Mata presented him with a superb ball in the box...on that occasion he did what he had to do and got his goal. Crowd gone wild...and soon after Ramires doubled the lead and Torres began to look like he had a purpose...then, inexplicably, he dived in two-footed on some Swansea player and got himself sent off...Cheers Fernando.

In his absence, Anelka was excellent...held up the ball well (admittedly that's been his 'strength' for some time now) and kept us looking like a threat all game...at one point he took on the entire Swansea back line and was inches away from scoring (hit the crossbar). He got a massive standing ovation when Drogba came on for him.

And once Drogba came back on for his cameo you could see the gulf in class between the Drog and Torres. He was a beast from the minute he came on, battering the Swansea defence. And his control, as always, is exquisite, the man can trap a ball better than anyone in the Premiership. His goal, perfectly taken, was another illustration of why Torres will never be an adequate replacement for him...and certainly should not be keeping him out of the team at the moment.

Fingers crossed, Torres gets a 3 match ban.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:35:04 AM by Ryan »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
Lamps walk out on de bench... future uncertain... why is he such a "Drama Queer"?

Snubbed Lampard quits bench
September 25, 2011
Email Print
By ESPNsoccernet staff
Frank Lampard's future at Chelsea could be in doubt after reportedly walking away from the bench when being an unused substitute in Saturday's 4-1 win over Swansea City.

GettyImages
Frank Lampard is left out in the cold as Andre Villas-Boas directs his troops
Lampard, 33, has failed to make Andre Villas-Boas' starting line-up for three of the last four matches. But the game against Swansea was the first time he has not come off the bench.

Villas-Boas opted to use his final substitution to bring on 18-year-old starlet Joshua McEachran for Raul Meireles in the 83rd minute for his first appearance of the season in the Premier League. The Mail on Sunday reports that Lampard then got up and walked down the tunnel without speaking to his manager.

In Lampard's only start in the last four matches he was taken off at half-time in the 3-1 loss at Manchester United.

It suggests that Lampard may not figure in Villas-Boas' long-term plans after being a fixture in the Chelsea side since joining the club from West Ham United for £11 million 10 years ago.

Asked about Lampard's position, Villas-Boas attempted to play down suggestions that the England international's days are numbered.

He said: "I don't know but this is nothing to speculate about. They are team players and the players want the team to perform, and Frank is like that. He is a fantastic player, a magnificent player and soon he will be back to the team, sooner than you expect.

"The decisions today were mainly based on the fact we played 120 minutes (in the Carling Cup) on Wednesday and these players were fresh, apart from John Terry and Petr Cech. In a tight calendar like we have, it's important to have squad rotation."

With Steven Gerrard returning to fitness and, when fit, Jack Wilshere a certain starter for England, Lampard's position with the national team is also under threat.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 25, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »
If was Ballotelli, it would have made headline news.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 25, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »

That's real poor.  We had a similar situation yesterday... Suarez subbed out in the 81' for Gerrard, and wasn't happy about it... shook Gerrard and Kenny's hand, but kicked away a water bottle and continued to fume (shaking his head on the bench).  At the final whistle he then walked straight to the locker room.  Not quite as serious, and much more understandable than Lampard.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 25, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

That's real poor.  We had a similar situation yesterday... Suarez subbed out in the 81' for Gerrard, and wasn't happy about it... shook Gerrard and Kenny's hand, but kicked away a water bottle and continued to fume (shaking his head on the bench).  At the final whistle he then walked straight to the locker room.  Not quite as serious, and much more understandable than Lampard.

I forgot to ask you if was just the sub he reacted to cause he (Suarez) was not pleased at all.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
I forgot to ask you if was just the sub he reacted to cause he (Suarez) was not pleased at all.

Haven't really heard anything yet... Charlie Nicholas of Sky Sports speculated that he wanted to stay on to play with Gerrard for those final minutes.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 25, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
I would be very surprised if there was anything to this story....

Lampard played 75 minutes in the Carling Cup on Wednesday for a side with 10 men (in which he was excellent) and has a trip to Valencia on Wednesday, to play a game where he will start. Why would Lampard have wanted to come on for a 10 minute corbeaux sweat instead of Josh McEachran anyway? Lampard has always been a model professional.

AVB's responses were not to direct questions about Lampard leaving the bench, they were in response to questions about whether Lampard is still part of his first XI. And his response was yes.

He probably had a minor injury and left when it was clear he wasn't needed, or simply had to go to the bathroom.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2031 on: September 26, 2011, 08:05:59 AM »
Just back from the game. A comfortable 4-1 blowout of Swansea despite playing 55 minutes with 10 men.

Torres is $h!t. Pretty much did nothing useful up until the moment Mata presented him with a superb ball in the box...on that occasion he did what he had to do and got his goal. Crowd gone wild...and soon after Ramires doubled the lead and Torres began to look like he had a purpose...then, inexplicably, he dived in two-footed on some Swansea player and got himself sent off...Cheers Fernando.

In his absence, Anelka was excellent...held up the ball well (admittedly that's been his 'strength' for some time now) and kept us looking like a threat all game...at one point he took on the entire Swansea back line and was inches away from scoring (hit the crossbar). He got a massive standing ovation when Drogba came on for him.

And once Drogba came back on for his cameo you could see the gulf in class between the Drog and Torres. He was a beast from the minute he came on, battering the Swansea defence. And his control, as always, is exquisite, the man can trap a ball better than anyone in the Premiership. His goal, perfectly taken, was another illustration of why Torres will never be an adequate replacement for him...and certainly should not be keeping him out of the team at the moment.

I thinik it harsh to call the man shit, Torres is excellent at several things but those things are limited to the area between the last defender and goal. Torres influence on a game has always been about coming alive for chances as opposed to always being in the mix.

As opposed to Drogba who taking free-kick, corner, defending corners, crossing from the wing, dropping deep. They are such different types of players and Drogba is a much more versatile player. Anelka too for that matter. He could play down the center where they setting it up for Torres but he also show that he could play on th eoutside too.

The story about Lampard storming off is nonesense but his days are numbered in that Chelsea midfield because again Ramires and Meireles  are better all-round midfielders at this point and Villas Boas try Lampard in Mikel role in pre-season with no success.

Villas Boas actually doing a good job getting this team playing.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 26, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »
From the article posted by Ryan re: Chelsea's initiative with the Barbados Tourism Authority
Barbados is fast becoming an outstanding sporting destination. With excellent on-island facilities coupled with the enthusiasm of its people, Barbados boasts the legacy of hosting a number of world-class sports events.

Such events included the 2006 PGA World Golf Championships, the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup Finals, the 2010 Sentebale charity polo match with Prince Harry of Wales, the 2010 Fireball World Sailing Championship and the 2010 ICC Twenty20 Cricket Finals.

... and Tiger's wedding ...which in retrospect seems to qualify as a sporting exercise.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 26, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
AVB: "Hmmm, what would Jesus Mourinho do?

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 26, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

I thinik it harsh to call the man shit, Torres is excellent at several things but those things are limited to the area between the last defender and goal. Torres influence on a game has always been about coming alive for chances as opposed to always being in the mix.

As opposed to Drogba who taking free-kick, corner, defending corners, crossing from the wing, dropping deep. They are such different types of players and Drogba is a much more versatile player. Anelka too for that matter. He could play down the center where they setting it up for Torres but he also show that he could play on th eoutside too.

The story about Lampard storming off is nonesense but his days are numbered in that Chelsea midfield because again Ramires and Meireles  are better all-round midfielders at this point and Villas Boas try Lampard in Mikel role in pre-season with no success.

i agree with the part in bold....two different types of players....fellas we hadda remeber TOrres was used to living off d passing of players like Xabi Alonso and Gerrard who KNOW how to play an exquisite pass quickly.....whilst he does cut d forlorn figure @ times our midfield is truly slow with the passing and Mata has been a difference (also explains y we wanted modric) .....besides were tlkin bout a player who with the exception of the last two seasons has scored double digits or a respectable total in every campaign the 8 years prior to that.....Raul went three consecutive seasons without managing over 10 goals for real madrid and was still considered World Class ...he even backed it up by finding his form and confidence and scoring 18 the next 2 seasons after the barren run.

edit: not to mention fellas DONT FORGET what he did to us last year with liverpool in the midst of our blitzkreig start to the season.....keep quiet for 80mins and somehow score 2 amazing goals....one that made us wonder if JT was past it!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:28:46 PM by doublet750 »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 26, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »

I never really paid much attention to Torres while he was at Liverpool, but having seen him play every other weekend for the best part of a year now, I can't see how he was ever a starboy in this league. Because the fact is anything he could do in the final third, Drogba could do better. In fact, Drogba's goal last Saturday was virtually a carbon copy of Torres' goal. And, as you pointed out, Drogba does a hell of a lot more than just finishing off chances. Torres is a niche player who has lost his niche. He has shown zero ability in adapting to Chelsea's more methodical brand of football. He might score a few goals this season (my guess would be 15 or so if he stays healthy) but he is not a top player.

And Lampard is still a top midfielder. All this talk about him losing it is tabloid hype. He may not be able to play 90 minutes twice a week anymore but he is still miles better than Ramires or Miereles, and plays a huge part in Chelsea's success. I didnt see AVB playing him in the Mikel role, but I'm glad he saw sense because Lampard would be wasted in that role.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

I never really paid much attention to Torres while he was at Liverpool, but having seen him play every other weekend for the best part of a year now, I can't see how he was ever a starboy in this league. Because the fact is anything he could do in the final third, Drogba could do better. In fact, Drogba's goal last Saturday was virtually a carbon copy of Torres' goal. And, as you pointed out, Drogba does a hell of a lot more than just finishing off chances. Torres is a niche player who has lost his niche. He has shown zero ability in adapting to Chelsea's more methodical brand of football. He might score a few goals this season (my guess would be 15 or so if he stays healthy) but he is not a top player.

And Lampard is still a top midfielder. All this talk about him losing it is tabloid hype. He may not be able to play 90 minutes twice a week anymore but he is still miles better than Ramires or Miereles, and plays a huge part in Chelsea's success. I didnt see AVB playing him in the Mikel role, but I'm glad he saw sense because Lampard would be wasted in that role.

All this from watching him fuh only 5 months?  Hardly the "better part of a year"... and hardly accurate.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 27, 2011, 06:50:53 AM »
Torres is a world class player, but the problem is that he was obviously bought for the team without any due thought or process.. Just a knee jerk, wildness, panic buy.

Up until now, Chelsea plays a very specific system and type of brand that has its roots in the Mourinho era. Avram Grant didn't change it significantly... Hiddink didn't change it signifcantly... Scolari didn't change it significantly.... Ancelotti didn't change it significantly.. Those coaches came and met something that was working (just probably not good enough) and a group of very professional players.. They made minor changes here and there and tried to add value through man management, but at the root it was the same system.

The system relies on very physical players in defence and midfield built to overpower the opposition with a combination of power and speed, all supporting a physical anomaly of a forward up front (Drogba). No setta creativity, no setta technical brilliance or elaborate wing play and counter attacking... Just sheer power.. And ever since age and injuries took their toll on the players that excelled in that setup (Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Drogba, Terry), the brand has become less imperious, players have become slower and the play has become much more labored and methodical. As a result, Chelsea has been in gradual decline.

What happen to Torres would happen to any other world class player forced into that setup.. Ronaldinho, Zidane even Messi would struggle because the team is not built to suit those type of players. Poor Torres hardly see a good through ball since he reach, but Drogba never needed that. So what has happened since then is that they doing everything to try to change the team to accomodate him which is a process in itself.

This year, they finally have the personnel that can somewhat play to his strengths and the speed of play is picking up as they phase out the older players. And they finally have a coach willing to implement that system without regard for names and personalities.

I had said before that Torres would turn out to be a good buy. Relatively young with his best years in front of him, an immediate succession plan for Drogba and a world class player already proven in the EPL.

If Mata and Meireles stay fit and Torres can hold his head through his struggles (and wipe that cobo shit off his shoulder) i predict the team will peak around Christmas and Torres will show his true class.

If not, I willing to concede I was wrong and it was the worst buy in the history of football.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 29, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
Lord knows why he didn't refuse to come on like Tevez... Again, why is he still here??  :frustrated:

Villas-Boas: No regrets on Kalou

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/963267/chelsea%27s-andre-villas-boas:-no-regrets-about-salomon-kalou-sub?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=3888

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Andre Villas-Boas has refused to accept he made a mistake in bringing on Salomon Kalou for the final seven minutes of Chelsea's Champions League tie at Valencia.

Kalou replaced Frank Lampard with Chelsea a goal to the good after the midfielder had marked his return to the side with the opening goal at the Mestalla.

But in the 87th minute Kalou inexplicably handled a cross into the Chelsea box which allowed Roberto Soldado the chance to grab a point from the penalty spot.

That led to accusations that Villas-Boas should have brought on a defensive player than a forward at such a key point in the game, but the manager rejected that claim.

"No, no, no, no,'' he said. "Putting on a striker is nothing to do with being more offensive or putting on a defender sometimes is nothing to do with being more defensive.

"I think it was the right choice bearing in mind what we were looking at, which was the fact that Valencia were coming out on the left side and doing a lot of two against ones against Bosingwa.

"I'm not going to criticise him [Kalou]. These things sometimes happen in football.

"We controlled the left side. The goal doesn't come from that situation. If you bring on a defender, you suffer the goal the same. So it's nothing to do with that in my opinion.

"It was a pity. We had very, very good opportunities to reach 2-0 and we just couldn't find the back of the net. It was very, very unlucky. The performance was solid and a draw away from home, if it's proposed to you before you take it.

"So near to a win, it leaves you with a strange feeling but we're in a good position still in the group. We're looking forward to the Genk game - they're going to be difficult games, of course. But if we get six points out of them, we're almost ensured qualification.''

On Lampard's return to the side, Villas-Boas said: "It was a good performance, a good display from a top player, one of the best players in the squad. A goal always comes at a good time for Frank. He's been a goalscorer all his life.

"His abilities are never in doubt and we trust him 100% - like I told you.''

Chelsea's frustration boiled over at the final whistle, which witnessed a flurry of yellow cards after the referee blew for full-time after awarding Chelsea a free-kick.

Villas-Boas said: "We wanted to organise ourselves and that could've been a chance for us. But the referee decided to end the game and we reacted a bit to suffering the penalty so late.''

Valencia boss Unai Emery was delighted with his players' never-say-die attitude.

"I'm really happy with my players' performance, especially with their attitude on the pitch,'' he said. "They've been fighting for every single ball on the pitch tonight against a great team like Chelsea and I believe that it was a fair result in the end.

"We got a point, we had some chance to maybe score more goals but, in the end, a point is good enough for us.''

Emery's decision to drop goalkeeper Vincente Guaita and hand Diego Alves his first start of the season proved a masterstroke, with the Brazilian making a succession of stunning saves.

"The good news for Valencia is that we have two fantastic goalkeepers,'' Emery said. "After tonight's performance, I'm going to wait a bit until I make my mind up whether I'm going to carry on playing Alves in the Champions League.''

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 29, 2011, 07:04:27 AM »
Ramirez looks to be coming into his own. Good engine and very mobile.
Chelsea going forward are  finding rhythm & somebody is going to be at the end of a hiding soon. Watch!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>