April 25, 2024, 02:31:26 PM

Author Topic: Do you agree with Diego?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do you agree with Diego?
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
Brazilian midfielder defies his club to join Brazilian Olympic team. Club vs. country rises to the fore once again. Who do you agree with..Diego, or Werder Bremen? I give the Brazilian props..I love to see that some players still choose country over club. Werder should make a public statement of support so that Diego does not face a fan backlash. Instead..they going to court to force him to come back. I know the Germans pay his wages, but just how long would they keep him on the books if he weren't international quality?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=557044&sec=global&cc=5901

Werder Bremen midfielder Diego has described the day he left the club without permission to join up with Brazil's Olympic squad as 'one of the most difficult' of his career.

The 23-year-old flew to Paris to join the rest of the squad on Tuesday evening, having held talks with club officials throughout the morning.

Werder later revealed they had not given permission for Diego to join his international team-mates, and the player admitted it was not an easy decision to make.

'We actually had a very good discussion with the management of Werder and as much as they showed their understanding for my dream, I showed a lot of understanding for the fact they consider me a very valuable member of their team,' Diego told Eurosport.de.

'It became clear to me, though, that neither side was going to back down and that it would not be an easy situation.'

Diego revealed his fear of jeopardising his international future was a factor in his decision to ignore his club's wishes.

He added: 'I was under a lot of pressure since I knew that my future in the Brazil national team could be in danger if I did not travel to the Olympics.

'That would have made me very unhappy and could not be Werder's aim at all. I just hope that all fans, particularly those of Werder, can understand me at least a little.

'I hope that I am not only celebrating winning an Olympic medal this season but also want many titles so that this difficult day can soon be put behind me and the positive aspects can return to the fore.

'Today was certainly one of the most difficult days of my career.'

Diego appears to have the backing of FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who on Wednesday reaffirmed the release of players below the age of 23 for the Olympics is 'mandatory'.

'Regarding the release of players under the age of 23, the football family has always agreed that these players shall be released for the Men's Olympic Football Tournament,' he said.

Bremen though have approached the Court of Arbitration for Sport in a bid to force Diego to return to them.

And the playmaker admitted that should his club win their case with CAS, he would have no problem with returning to the Weserstadion.

He added: 'If it emerges that my club was right, then I will return without hesitation, that is for sure.'

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do you agree with Diego?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
I with Diego on this one. He clearly stated that this is about his international ambitions, and he showed that is his main priority. Cah fault him for that.

I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:30:12 PM »
Leh them put him on the transfer market; I could do with him at 'Pool. ;D

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »
I with Diego on this one. He clearly stated that this is about his international ambitions, and he showed that is his main priority. Cah fault him for that.

I agree with you.  I with Diego.  Germany don't care about Brazil.  In fact, won't they like them to lose?  Then why doesn't WB just release him?  Because he is too good and they don't want him playing for his country against them.  Simple!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
diego is 23

they releasing players under 23

diego should follow the rules

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:07:06 AM »
Leh them put him on the transfer market; I could do with him at 'Pool. ;D

Except that Liverpool can't afford nobody good.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
diego is 23

You're right.  Diego is 23.

Ths is what the Olympic Soccer Regulations say regarding player eligibility in the men's tournament: (Page 15 HERE)

All players participating in the preliminary and final competition of the tournament shall be born on or after 1 January 1985.

However, a maximum of three male players who do not meet this age limit may also be included in the official list of players for the final competition.

Diego was born on February 28, 1985.  BIO HERE

Based on your post, is he breaking the rules or.....?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:27:22 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:03 AM »
diego is 23

Ths is what the Olympic Soccer Regulations say regarding player eligibility in the men's tournament: (Page 15 HERE)

All players participating in the preliminary and final competition of the tournament shall be born on or after 1 January 1985.

However, a maximum of three male players who do not meet this age limit may also be included in the official list of players for the final competition.

Exactly.......as long as you do not turn 24 before the end of the year, for all intents and purposes he is considered as one of the 'under 23' players. He well within his rights.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »
Now Lionel getting jam by Barca. Lionel and Diego are not overage players and qualify as 'Under 23'. Seems like Rafinha left Shalke without permission too.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=557213&sec=global&cc=5901

Lionel Messi's father Jorge fears Barcelona will not release him for the Olympic Games next month.

The Catalan club do not want the forward to travel to Beijing as it would rule him out of the preliminary rounds of the Champions League.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter again reiterated on Wednesday that it is 'mandatory' for clubs to release players aged 23 and under for Olympic duty, but a number of clubs, including Barcelona, are lining up to challenge that position and may take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Jorge Messi said on Thursday that his son will be powerless if Barcelona decide to keep him.

'I phoned him yesterday and he wants this problem to be solved. He cannot do anything but wait for the Barcelona directors to say whether he can go or not,' Jorge Messi told the Mananas Informales show in Buenos Aires.

'Two months ago, we talked to Barcelona officials and they were aware of Lionel's aim of playing in the Olympics. The problems started when they said they did not want to release him because they are in the Champions League's preliminary round.'

Brazilian players Diego (Werder Bremen) and Rafinha (Schalke) both left their clubs without permission earlier this week after being called up for the Olympics.

Jorge said his son would not do the same as he believes Barcelona could seek to punish him.

'We have no written rules saying the player should be released. It's just a matter of customs and traditions. I hope Barcelona think about it, change their mind and let him play,' he added.

'As written rules do not exist, Barcelona will fight to retain him, but if Leo flies to Beijing anyway Barcelona can accuse him of abandoning the club.'

Argentina's Under-23 head coach Sergio Batista and the squad are waiting for Messi to join them in Japan, as they are playing the hosts in an exhibition match next Tuesday as warm-up to the Olympics.

The men's football competition will be played from August 7 to 23.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
diego is 23

oho, so diego in the clear. between ioc and fifa, de clubs doh stand a chance.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »
As usual a complete an utter mess, Blatter states 1 thing, clubs state another one way or the other both know the real situation. 

One point though the Olympics are for amateurs so surely the teams should be made up of part timers rather than full time professionals.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
As usual a complete an utter mess, Blatter states 1 thing, clubs state another one way or the other both know the real situation. 

One point though the Olympics are for amateurs so surely the teams should be made up of part timers rather than full time professionals.

Olympics?  Amateurs?

So the T&F athletes are "amateur"?

Powell, Bolt etc?

Were Cram & Coe "amateurs"?

This is 2008 bro.  Dat "amateur" ting and de Olympics gone bye bye.  Yes...it have amateurs in various sports....but the vast majority of top athletes in the "blue riband" events are professionals.  Football is and should be no different.

Besides.....how many "amateur" footballers are there in England for example...especially when clubs signing players as early as 14 years of age?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »
I should of used "amateurs", no mainline athlete is a true amateur now as you correctly point out.

I was really referring to the spirit of the competition and the definition of being paid directly for competing.  Rather than the olympic football being a version of under 23 world cup for those that want to enter.

I would imagine lots of countries are like the UK where amateur teams greatly outnumber the professional ones.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
I should of used "amateurs", no mainline athlete is a true amateur now as you correctly point out.

I was really referring to the spirit of the competition and the definition of being paid directly for competing.  Rather than the olympic football being a version of under 23 world cup for those that want to enter.

I would imagine lots of countries are like the UK where amateur teams greatly outnumber the professional ones.

Like Palos said, the days of the amateur olympic athlete are long gone....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »
diego is 23

[/b]

Don't the rules also allow for three players over 23 to be selected by a country.  In fact Argentine just selected Riquelme to their team.  Are they breaking the rules too?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »

Olympic footballers are paid directly for competing? Didn't think so..I was under the impression they win a medal like everyone else. If it wasn't so, every team sport would demand money for competing. Yuh sure yuh got that right?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

Olympic footballers are paid directly for competing? Didn't think so..I was under the impression they win a medal like everyone else. If it wasn't so, every team sport would demand money for competing. Yuh sure yuh got that right?

They may or may not be paid directly for participating, but many country organizations (the US being one) offer financial incentives to athletes who win medals, progressive increases from Bronze to Silver to Gold.  So compensation maybe not for participation, but for performance I guess you can call it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 02:52:45 PM »
I feel FIFA should end this crap, and make it open to all ages  or make it strictledly U-23. Too much confusion.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 02:58:58 PM »
I feel FIFA should end this crap, and make it open to all ages  or make it strictledly U-23. Too much confusion.

Dat go just make it worse. Is effectively a world cup every 2 years...which means more qualifiers.....more players getting problems to be released etc.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
They should make open to all players who did not play in the last WC.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »

They may or may not be paid directly for participating, but many country organizations (the US being one) offer financial incentives to athletes who win medals, progressive increases from Bronze to Silver to Gold.  So compensation maybe not for participation, but for performance I guess you can call it.

yeah, i aware of that. but is this unique to football. kev make it sound like football was different from other team sports. i didn't think it was

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »
yeah, i aware of that. but is this unique to football. kev make it sound like football was different from other team sports. i didn't think it was

Definitely not unique to football.

Still strange to me, this whole idea of financial incentives for medals.  On the one hand you can look at it as a reward for a superlative performance...I guess.  On the other, you'd hope that an athlete who has been working towards a singular crowning achievement (Olympic medal) all his life, would need no further incentive than the chance to stand on the podium itself.  Hopefully it's more the former and not the latter.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »
Hmmm.  How many here think that Werder would have prevented a German player from going, or the same with Barca and a Spanish player?  For that matter if it was an English or French player would either of those clubs have objected as strenuously?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 05:01:03 AM »

Dat go just make it worse. Is effectively a world cup every 2 years...which means more qualifiers.....more players getting problems to be released etc.

Once amateurism went out the door all this posturing entered. It's changed the Olympics forever.

FIFA protecting its WC product. Cyah vex b/c we like we WC every 4 ... dahis part of the magic and dahis part of the development/growth/infusion of new players and nations

Basketball is a comparable mega-sport. Imagine basketball having a similar rule in place. Or do they? Seem to recall one coach relying heavily on college players. ??? Anyway, FIBA doh have a tournament that rivals the WC. Wouldn't be protectionist in b-ball's case ... seems like it would be more developmental given their global drive to spread the game.

In the case of football it seems to be a showcase for some - de "BiG" nations and developmental for the sufferers.

I have always found this 3 overage player thing kinda provocative ... reminds me of of a co-ed soccer league vibe ... certain # of women hadda be on de field ... or not etc ... STEUPS ...

Overage cyah participate in qualifying ... but can show up at the dance ... some countries doh even use "U-23s" ... so dey could have U-21s and 3 veterans buh no U-23s ...

Ah suppose that's the real issue ... it becomes a matter of local priority and how yuh want to flex depends on you ... Somebody clarify. Wasn't at least the spirit of the rule intended to encourage the old-foot vets rather than players in full stride primetime?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:07:16 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 05:14:09 AM »
So ... I can just imagine de thread ... if we had qualified ... and had to select 3 overage ... first up: redemption for Latas WC minutes ... :) ... then bacchanal as to the next 2 to be included ... public outcry for Dwight ... etc.

Plus I woulda motion to nominate one ah dem names from de Indian baller Chinee baller thread :devil: ... All bases covered. Nah, wait ... ent Anton could still play?

Wish we had that problem :-\

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
I don't see the problem,it was stated on this site that players have the right to represent their country and nobody can stop them,it was said it's mandated by FIFA (just my understanding) this brings me back to the Roy Keane/Dwight Yorke situation,my question is why are these players having so much problems to get released from clubs to represent their country? man real cuss RK look what going on with all these clubs, governments has to hands off we see the latest situation with Iraq.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:38:35 AM by Coop's »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »
Hmmm.  How many here think that Werder would have prevented a German player from going, or the same with Barca and a Spanish player?  For that matter if it was an English or French player would either of those clubs have objected as strenuously?

Depends on how important they are to the team and how many were selected. A benchwarmer or a reserve/youth team player would be released more easily. Teams would also be more likely to release one player, but bend if three or four were selected. Also, a German team would find it harder to keep a German player because there would be direct pressure from the DBF, the press and the public, that one of their own clubs is trying to sabotage the national team. Many would see the club as highly unpatriotic and selfish. On the other hand, there would be far less public outcry with regard to a foreign player. It's like if Latas was playing for a PFL team and they refused to release him for the Olympics. There would be a greater sense of injustice and lack of patriotism coming from all sources than if a PFL team kept a Colombian player..in the case of the latter, it would be more of a debate of whether they are within their rights to do so.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
Brazil going full out to win the only title they have never won.  They calling all de guns and dem.

1]; } ?>