March 28, 2024, 07:11:23 AM

Author Topic: Young football prodigy Leston Paul  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Young football prodigy Leston Paul
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
"Of course I love football. It’s like a gift. Growing up I played cricket, tennis, all different sports. The sport I played best was football. It’s the sport I love.”

Young football prodigy Leston Paul.
By: Sean Nero (Guardian).

Leston Paul may be a football whiz, but he still has trouble mastering the latest version of Fifa World Cup on PlayStation Three. The T&T Football Federation’s (TTFF) 2007 male Under-17 Youth Footballer of the Year, admitted that as much as he loved the game, his efforts on the field had surpassed anything that happened behind the electronic game consul.

“I’m good at Fifa ’08. I’m bad at World Cup because I don’t play it as much. I don’t really enjoy it,” he said, smiling.

He added: “Of course I love football. It’s like a gift. Growing up I played cricket, tennis, all different sports. The sport I played best was football. It’s the sport I love.”

The award Paul took home at the TTFF’s annual ceremony, held at the Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, a couple months ago, was not his first high-profile accolade for quality sportsmanship.

In fact, it was his second consecutive award.

Making his mark during the Fifa 2007 Under-17 World Cup in Korea earned Paul, 18, the latest trophy.

“Coming from the countryside in a country where almost everybody plays football, I was the one chosen. I’m very proud of myself. Truly, I thought I deserved it, looking (back) at my performance on the field overall,” he said.

Using lessons learnt from the sport, continued to work to his advantage.

This utility player, who loves the central-midfield position, proudly declared that football taught him things which he now applied in his daily life.

Paul said: “It’s teaching me about discipline and the path I have to take and do what’s best for me. In the game of football, you have to be disciplined. Football teaches you about sportsmanship and with that comes respect.”

Training at Sunderland

Earlier this year, Paul was called up for national duty with the senior football team.

Around that time, he was offered a one-week trial at United Kingdom-based professional club Sunderland. He accepted the latter offer.

He was one of many who trained with the club’s U-18 squad during that period hoping to secure a reserve position.

Paul returned to T&T fascinated by his short, but sweet experience, which he described as “eye opening”.

“It was good to see the Caribbean guys could compete at the international level. The English teams have all the facilities. That’s their advantage. We have the talent.” he said.

“I’ve learnt that I must have the mind-set and the ability to work hard in order to make it out there.” he added.

“Meeting Kenwyne Jones, Carlos Edwards and Dwight Yorke was an honour knowing that they are my countrymen. Everywhere we went people were talking about Kenwyne Jones. That made me proud,” he said.

He’s keeping his fingers crossed that he’d get the nod from Sunderland’s technical team to return to the club.

Meanwhile, he awaits his CXC results.

“If professional football does not work out, I have plans for my education I want to be an engineer. I have not decided on the specialty,” he disclosed.

Guided by faith

Originally from Mayaro, Paul describes himself as a disciplined, caring, God fearing young man.

The only boy and youngest of three children, he has never been bereft of love and family support, which he said is unconditional.

Paul considered his level of growth in football over the past eight years was “big.”

The modest national U-20 player, who came through the ranks from his days as a player attached to the national under-15 squad, considered himself fortunate to have achieved so much in such a short time.

Coming up through the ranks gives Paul the feeling of worth and he’s convinced his accomplishments were linked to his beliefs.

“Call on God for everything; he will help you. Always believe in God. Trust in God in everything you do. Put God first,” said Paul.

He’s original

As steeped as he is in football, Paul knows he can’t get away from one question: Are you related to celebrated local musician Leston Paul?

“No! People always want to know if we are related. There’s no relation. I’m not into music in that way,” he laughed, adding “I do love gospel and R&B.”

No place like home

Returning to Mayaro puts him in a state of complete relaxation.

There, he would meet and share the company of his closest friends.

It seems they are budding comedians because they always make Paul laugh.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:30:47 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Young football prodigy Leston Paul
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
Ah wonder if he relly going tuh go tuh University of South Florida in January.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »
ah boy tallman recruiting from early are we. East Forever tallman. When allyuh go learn to understand dat.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »

Oh Oh.... :-\
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »
Stay awar from the US college system if you want to play professionally!!!
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:03:01 AM »
Stay awar from the US college system if you want to play professionally!!!

How many people does really make it to the top level professionally???....Free Education to do something yuh love to do anyway...now if he get called by an English club that is different but if that eh happen get the education and hopefully the man can get recognized as having potential to play professionally but if it eh pan out at least yuh have something solid to fall back on.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:10:45 AM »
Brent Rahim was a prodigy at one time.... he went back to school right...  :beermug:

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »
Sean Nero is very caviler with the words he chooses to use to describe Leston Paul.

Prodigy my ass.

Més que un club.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:12:07 AM »
Sean Nero is very caviler with the words he chooses to use to describe Leston Paul.

Prodigy my ass.

The same thought crossed my mind. Talented? "yes!" Prodigy ??????? I wish him well though
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Leston Paul
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
After watching Joe Public in their dismal display against a second dtring Santons Laguna and seeing T&T's starting center Mid looking as bad as he did i thought that T&T is in some serious trouble. However yesterday i watched a Leston Paul put on a masterclass for his school in a preseason freindly. He looked confident, strong on the ball as usual, tidy with his passing (I counted one bad pass in 85 mins), won the ball basically every time he challenged. He played a deep lying role even though i think he is under utilized in this position he was miles ahead the rest. I say the midfield needs to be birchall paul and hyland.

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leston Paul
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
Oh yea by the way Javed Mohammed looked pretty good at left back alot better than what we currently have

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
Miles ahead aye  8)  well he should have just gone pro then ent!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
well not in tnt but yea some where in europe ... he should try and follow hyland

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 06:01:03 AM »
he is ah prodigy because he was the only trini selected in the concacaf region by John Barnes in the Kick Start Clinic.... ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
thanks for the updates Saint...excellent

we need to get Javed on board and have a look
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »
After watching Joe Public in their dismal display against a second dtring Santons Laguna and seeing T&T's starting center Mid looking as bad as he did i thought that T&T is in some serious trouble. However yesterday i watched a Leston Paul put on a masterclass for his school in a preseason freindly. He looked confident, strong on the ball as usual, tidy with his passing (I counted one bad pass in 85 mins), won the ball basically every time he challenged. He played a deep lying role even though i think he is under utilized in this position he was miles ahead the rest. I say the midfield needs to be birchall paul and hyland.

Try as I might, ah couldn't let this one pass without questioning it! I have to question any assessment of a national team player that concludes everything is alright when he looks good against a bunch of schoolboys in a preseason friendly. As our starting center mid he should have been dominating against the likes of Santos Laguna second string, not struggling.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »
I wouldn't call him a prodigy but he obviously have something by the way not that i defending college ball but one thing them fells does be that our pro players never are is fit ..... trinis doh get fit in trinidad but they does be hella fit in the US ..... we normally have to be above the rest just to be on there level so doh sell nobody short they....

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
I wouldn't call him a prodigy but he obviously have something by the way not that i defending college ball but one thing them fells does be that our pro players never are is fit ..... trinis doh get fit in trinidad but they does be hella fit in the US ..... we normally have to be above the rest just to be on there level so doh sell nobody short they....
you right...

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
going to watch Leston Paul and Javed Mohammed play against the number the #1 university team , Akron. It should be a good test for them if they cant handle their personal battles out there then they not quite ready for T&T yet. Especially interested in seeing how Javed looks against the countries best college attackers.

Corbeaux

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Really hope Leston an all d trinis playin uni ball make it far.... cuz iz plenty playin deh nw..lol

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
Sorry did not make the game.. however usf beat the #1 ranked Akron. From what i heard Leston was tidy and professional but deployed in a more defensive role in the middle , also heard  Javed mohammed had a good game.
Seeing that i did not attend the game so i can not say for sure how either player actually played.

1]; } ?>