April 26, 2024, 12:55:04 PM

Author Topic: Knol - Wikipedia should be worried  (Read 1993 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Knol - Wikipedia should be worried
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »

Google Introduces the ‘Knol’

Google launches Knol, rival to Wikipedia
By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 25/07/2008

Google has launched its rival to Wikipedia, the sprawling online encyclopaedia that ranks among the world's most visited websites.

Like Wikipedia, Google's Knol - its term for a unit of knowledge - is a collection of user-generated articles on specific topics.

But whereas Wikipedia lets any visitor make alterations to its online pages and contributions remain anonymous, Knol articles are authored by an individual and stress personal opinion.

advertisementThe aim of the free service is to "help people share their knowledge", the internet search and advertising giant said.

Google would "not serve as an editor in any way" or "bless content", leaving editorial responsibilities up to the author.

It also plans to reward authors of popular posts by enabling them to profit from their entries, if they allow Google to place advertisements on their pages.

The more page views the article gets, the more a contributor can earn.

Google generates profits from online advertising targeted at users of its free online services and Knol is seen as an attempt to boost income by attracting some of the millions who use Wikipedia, which is non-profit and advertising-free.

Mr Dupont denied Knol was designed as a "Wikipedia killer", telling the New York Times: "Google is very happy with Wikipedia being so successful. Anyone who tries to kill them would hurt us."

By yesterday, the fledgling project appeared to be gaining little ground on the seven-year-old Wikipedia, which boasts more than 8.2 million articles in more than 200 languages (nearly 2.5 million in English).

The highlighted knols on the site's front page were mainly related to health issues such as migraines or irritable bowel syndrome and searches for entries on Barack Obama, John McCain, God, Madonna and even Wikipedia all returned a "no results found" page.

Some have questioned whether Knol marks a shift in Google's identity of "organising the world's information" to creating and publishing information that could potentially compromise its neutrality in organising search results.

Google has stressed its Search Quality team will rank knol entries "appropriately when they appear in Google search results".

Danny Sullivan, editor of searchengineland.com, tested Google's assertion "that just because content sits on Google's Knol site, it won't gain any ranking authority from being part of the Knol domain" a day after its launch.

"I found one third of the pages listed on the Knol home page that I tested ranked in the top results," he writes.

"I came away feeling that being on Knol does indeed give pages an advantage they might not get if they'd been hosted on some other brand new website."

While Wikipedia has officially welcomed Knol, Florence Devouard, the Wikimedia Foundation chair, wrote last December: "Knol is probably our biggest threat since the creation of Wikipedia."

The Example of Knol
http://www.google.com/help/knol_screenshot.html

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Knol - Wikipedia should be worried
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »
Now since anyone can write a topic for information purposes in Knol, I wonder what folks in here would write about SW.net and it's regulars.  :angel:

Infact I find someone should....
Dialect and all....

Anyone up for the challenge ?? Best post should represent SW.net on Knol
Of course the founder and Mods would have the final say

jus ah thought. :beermug:

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »
Now since anyone can write a topic for information purposes in Knol, I wonder what folks in here would write about SW.net and it's regulars.  :angel:

Dialect and all....

http://www.socawarriors.net/flex_mohammed.htm
http://www.socawarriors.net/Fan_Talk.htm

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
I searched for football, soccer and war and there were no entries. Disappointing !

Oh well I welcome anything that would feed the vices of knowledge whores.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 07:42:11 AM »

Dialect and all....

http://www.socawarriors.net/flex_mohammed.htm
http://www.socawarriors.net/Fan_Talk.htm

yeah ah know bout these ricky

ya mean to copy and paste flex and fan_talk on Knol ???

where dey fun in dat ?? (no disrespect to flex :-[)

people use ya skills nah, some of allyuh does write some things, even i and all hadda step back and stare
take up dey challenge
it would be nice to read different views and thoughts bout SW.net and its regulars

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Former Googleers unveil Cuil, a new search engine
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
look a next one:

==

Former Googleers unveil Cuil, a new search engine

By Eric Auchard

MENLO PARK, California (Reuters) - A start-up led by former star Google engineers on Sunday unveiled a new Web search service that aims to outdo the Internet search leader in size, but faces an uphill battle changing Web surfing habits.

Cuil Inc (pronounced "cool") is offering a new search service at www.cuil.com that the company claims can index, faster and more cheaply, a far larger portion of the Web than Google, which boasts the largest online index.

The would-be Google rival says its service goes beyond prevailing search techniques that focus on Web links and audience traffic patterns and instead analyzes the context of each page and the concepts behind each user search request.

"Our significant breakthroughs in search technology have enabled us to index much more of the Internet, placing nearly the entire Web at the fingertips of every user," Tom Costello, Cuil co-founder and chief executive, said in a statement.

Danny Sullivan, a Web search analyst and editor-in-chief of Search Engine Land, said Cuil can try to exploit complaints consumers may have with Google -- namely, that it tries to do too much, that its results favor already popular sites, and that it leans heavily on certain authoritative sites such as Wikipedia.

"The time may be right for a challenger," Sullivan says, but adds quickly: "Competing with Google is still a very daunting task, as Microsoft will tell you."

Microsoft Corp, the No. 3 U.S. player in Web search has been seeking in vain, so far, to join forces with No. 2 Yahoo Inc to battle Google.

Cuil was founded by a group of search pioneers, including Costello, who built a prototype of Web Fountain, IBM's Web search analytics tool, and his wife, Anna Patterson, the architect of Google Inc's massive TeraGoogle index of Web pages. Patterson also designed the search system for global corporate document storage company Recall, a unit of Australia's Brambles Ltd

The two are joined by two former Google colleagues, Russell Power and Louis Monier. Previously, Monier led the redesign of ecommerce leader eBay Inc's search engine and was the founding chief technology officer of two 1990s Web milestones, AltaVista and BabelFish, the first language translation site.

"They do have the talent that is used to building large, industrial-strength search engines," Sullivan says of Cuil.

Cuil clusters the results of each Web search performed on the service into groups of related Web pages. It sorts these by categories and offers various organizing features to help identify topics and allow the user to quickly refine searches.

User privacy is another appeal of its approach, Cuil says. Because the service focuses on the content of the pages rather than click history, the company has no need to store users' personal information or their search histories, it says.

"We are all about pattern analysis," Patterson says. "We go over the corpus (Web pages) 12 times before we even index it."

DOES SIZE MATTER, ONCE AGAIN?

Cuil has indexed a whopping 120 billion Web pages, three times more than what they say Google now indexes, Patterson said, adding the company has spent just $5 million,

Google itself preemptively responded to Cuil's arrival with a blog post on Friday boasting of the growing scale of its own Web search operations.

Sullivan said he puts no stock in either company's boasts about the size of their indexes, since it has only an indirect effect on the ultimate success Web surfers have in searching. And Cuil's privacy virtues are exaggerated, he adds.

Founded in late 2006, the Menlo Park, California-based Cuil has raised $33 million in two separate rounds: The first, for $8 million from Greylock and Tugboat Ventures, and the second for $25 million by Madrone Capital Partners.

Initially, Cuil is optimized for American English. Later this year, the company plans to enable Cuil users to perform searches in major European languages, Patterson said. Eventually, Cuil plans to make money by running ads alongside search results, she said, but provided no further details.

Cuil is one of a number of start-ups that are looking to introduce new technology that can change the competitive dynamics of the Web search market that Google dominates.

Earlier in July, Microsoft bought Powerset, a San Francisco-based search start-up that enables consumers to use semantic techniques -- conversational phrasing instead of keywords -- to search the Web.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »
Yes I heard about this this morning. Also heard something else coming along soon.
Google getting lash front and back.....

stay tuned

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 10:18:34 AM »
everybody trying to take down the standard bearers

anybody remeber when for searchin google use to run neck & neck with  'ask jeeves' and a third search engine.. ah forget de next one name
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:43:51 PM »
everybody trying to take down the standard bearers

anybody remeber when for searchin google use to run neck & neck with  'ask jeeves' and a third search engine.. ah forget de next one name

There were a few -
altavista
Netscape
and AOL

Here's what happened after the bubble bust!

It took a few years but webmasters etc had to rethink their approach. The key was figuring out that "why write content" when you can get visitors to write the content.. thus web 2.0 was born. Get the users involved and they will not only create the content, share the content and buzz and monitor things. All for FREE!

youtube - user upload videos

facebook, myspace and other social networks - yes, users create the content and invite others to join in

currently Twitter is growing at alarming rate - why? again user content and you get to peek into the lives of others

Just look at how LARGE blogging is now - pretty soon I'll be paying all my house bills from blogging income - no joke and the big boys like John Chow etc is raking in over 34K a month just for writing 1 post a day.

Then we have sites like Digg,Furl, Propeller,Technorati and delicious ... get a post on digg and be sure your servers can handle the stress...

Web 2.0 is all about user participation and the people at google are masters at this... this can be huge.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »
Yes Altavista is what ah was thinking bout

but to hell wit dat...tell me more about making $34k a month just ritin...my englizh kinda decent..and me eh greedy I go wukk for half ah dat
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
I was just about to make a post about CUIL, luckily ah did ah SEARCH here first  ;D and bounce up this thread.

I did a little test with cuil, and yes I think it's cool  :D I like the layout of their search results, and it seems a liitle more comprehensive than google.

I did a seach of Soca Warriors, and before i could even finish typing "The Soca Warriors" pop up in the auto fill, and that was my first time using the search engine. When I campare the results with what I got from google, I was really impress with the results...it even had a drop down at the top right with more categories including a list of T&T players...funny Brent Sancho and Kelvin Jack made the list with 6 other WC players, DW and RL name was not there though  ???

Anyways, would love to get some other feedback from users who do a lot of searches and let me know what you think...Eman..WC...Andre(ah know you look for a lot of babes for your thread lol) and others... let me know.

Big Up!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:12:12 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »
I had disappointing results with CUIL

I compared the results of the search phrase "pecan soca warriors" in both engines.  CUIL did not return anything.  Google returned three links to posts from SW.NET

I also tried some other phrases and Google returned results while CUIL did not.

I suspect it will take a while longer for cuil to better populate its databases

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
CUIL- will have to come real good to convince people that they're better than the master - Google - the bridesmaid - Yahoo and the ugly friend msn. Google is well established and the money they generate from ad sales is enormous and not investment capital.

BTW, marketers strive to beat Google's algorithm on a daily basis. All challengers to google must give the true marketers (ones who push the internet) a reason to like them. I have about 13 or so keyword phrases listed in the top 3 in google and it accounts for over 75% of my total traffic... shows you just how powerful and big that beast is.

That said. As google rode into town a few years back, I'm sure another gringo will do the same soon.

1]; } ?>