April 28, 2024, 01:20:12 PM

Author Topic: Robbie Keane signs for Liverpool  (Read 7795 times)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Robbie Keane signs for Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »
If Benitez use his brain and learn that Gerrard and Torres must play, and stop the flipping rotation, Liverpool could be decent. I still maintain their bench is better than ManU and Arsenal but Benitez just doing nonsense.

I seeing the Keane buy being used to put keane just behind the striker and Gerrard will play where they wanted Barry to play. The Barry buy was to make Gerrard move further up the pitch because Alonso was not considered mobile enough to protect the middle.

So with Mascherano, Gerrard, Keane, Torres and two regular defenders, Liverpool could be consistent. But from the time he start to bench Torres to play Kuyt and giving Keane a sweat now and then, u will see them dropping silly points.

I cah figure out which way Spurs going though...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »
Good riddance!

come October ah hope yuh eh bawling like 10 big strong german bee-atches dat gettin some sticks in ah hotel somewey outside Frankfurt.  ;D

the fella have passion and skill, no doubt. What I didn't like last season was when his number got called for sub, the man show real disrespect for the coach by carrying orn like ah lile ghul. chamkaying off the field.

Liverpool fans.. who space will he take? he coming off the bench?

one lives and one learns.........so dais wha Keane used to be doing CHAMKAYING. :rotfl: :rotfl:
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
i think this signing makes Liverpool a legitimate contender for the EPL title this season.

Not really.

He's done well at Spurs, but he won't be enough to make the vermin serious contenders. 18 million is still way too high, Spurzzzz must be laughing all the way to the bank. Keane is worth 9-10 million tops.

I reckon Keane is another typical Liverpool signing along the lines of Harry Kewell. He'll probably score 12 goals next season. Not disastrous, but not very good either. His performances for Ireland since the 2002 World Cup have been almost uniformly terrible.

It could not in anyway have anything to do with the quality surrounding him at Ireland?

Finnan
Carr
Kilbane
McGeady
Given
O'Shea
S. Reid
Duff

The above are all Premiership players (except McGeady who plays for Celtic) and have played for Ireland on or since 2002 and are for the most part, regulars.

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
I still maintain their bench is better than ManU

Nurse!

He's gotten out of bed again!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »

Finnan- average
Carr- average
Kilbane- average
McGeady- can't comment but my guess is average
Given- good
O'Shea- average
S. Reid- avearge
Duff- good when fit...

The above are all Premiership players (except McGeady who plays for Celtic) and have played for Ireland on or since 2002 and are for the most part, regulars.

Pretty average crop if you ask me
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »
if Liverpool are not right there in the mix for the title in May next year, then it would just confirm what most already suspect in that Benitez is a coach incapable of winning the EPL title. They have no excuses dis rounds.

Look for Rafa to bench Keane and play Torres alone up front for games against top 4 opposition, then play for a 1-0 or 0-0.

Forgot that Rafa is a striker killer and Liverpool is ah shit side.

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »

Finnan- average
Carr- average
Kilbane- average
Given- good
O'Shea- average
S. Reid- avearge
Duff- good when fit...

Regardless of the fact that he plays for the vermin, Finnan is a pretty good full back. Unspectacular but very consistent.

Remember that United tried to get him before the vermin did.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »

Finnan- average
Carr- average
Kilbane- average
Given- good
O'Shea- average
S. Reid- avearge
Duff- good when fit...

Regardless of the fact that he plays for the vermin, Finnan is a pretty good full back. Unspectacular but very consistent.

lol @ the vermin  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »

Finnan- average
Carr- average
Kilbane- average
Given- good
O'Shea- average
S. Reid- avearge
Duff- good when fit...

lol @ the vermin  ;D

McGeady is a baller. Needs to test his mettle away from Celtic, cuz I think he have it in him to player in a bigger arena than the SPL.

Duff gone thru. He is a shodow of the player he used to be. Still has his touch, but no speed. No longer plays on the wing as he can no longer take men on. Maybe I not giving him enough chane to recover from an aweful string of injuries. But he prob. will never reach the heights he was destined to reach. The Damien Duff of WC 2002 was arguably the best winger in the world.

Given is a world class keeper

Doh care to comment on the rest

Keane to Liverpool is a great move. I think he will excel. Torres will probably have a hard year as all eyes will be on him. Someone like Keane should benefit from that

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
If Benitez use his brain and learn that Gerrard and Torres must play, and stop the flipping rotation, Liverpool could be decent. I still maintain their bench is better than ManU and Arsenal but Benitez just doing nonsense.

I seeing the Keane buy being used to put keane just behind the striker and Gerrard will play where they wanted Barry to play. The Barry buy was to make Gerrard move further up the pitch because Alonso was not considered mobile enough to protect the middle.

So with Mascherano, Gerrard, Keane, Torres and two regular defenders, Liverpool could be consistent. But from the time he start to bench Torres to play Kuyt and giving Keane a sweat now and then, u will see them dropping silly points.

Gerrard and Torres did not get rested that much last year and Liverpool was still nowhere. Rafa will try to keep Gerrard playing off Torres. Don't see him moving further back just to accomodate Keane. More likely Keane will get pushed out wide.

Liverpool problem is that they have no good players in wide positions either in midfield or defence. That is why they does play forwards like Kuyt and Babel in wide positions. Benyaoun is not a winger and Pennant sadly is not a big player.

None of their wingbacks are any good. This Dossens fella could be the new Traore, they trying to flog Finnan and done sell iise, Aurelio and Arbeloa very average. Bringing in Keane not changing that. I don't see Keane benching though, he is a better player than Kuyt.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »
Gerrard and Torres did not get rested that much last year and Liverpool was still nowhere. Rafa will try to keep Gerrard playing off Torres. Don't see him moving further back just to accomodate Keane. More likely Keane will get pushed out wide.

Liverpool problem is that they have no good players in wide positions either in midfield or defence. That is why they does play forwards like Kuyt and Babel in wide positions. Benyaoun is not a winger and Pennant sadly is not a big player.

None of their wingbacks are any good. This Dossens fella could be the new Traore, they trying to flog Finnan and done sell iise, Aurelio and Arbeloa very average. Bringing in Keane not changing that. I don't see Keane benching though, he is a better player than Kuyt.

Babel and Benayoun were always good wingers but they've not been given enough chances..

You say Gerrard and Torres were not rested that much and I have a feeling that is after reviewing the end of season stats, but I do remember them getting rested earlier in the season against mid table and lower competition with CL games pending in midweek. They drew or lost games they shouldve won at that time meaning they were out of it by xmas, and is only after that did the shuffling stop and the "fresh"players get a steady run in the 2nd half of the season.

The setta rotating and reshuffling does kill that shit side not to mention the pragmatism of the manager that could very well see Keane being farmed out to the right wing like you'll saying. Here is what Benitez had to say today about the Keane signing:

"Robbie is one of the very best forwards in the Premier League. He is settled and more than used to the requirements. He is a good professional with a solid mentality, obviously I am pleased he is here, other managers would say the same.

"Robbie can play alongside (Fernando) Torres and (Dirk) Kuyt, and also (Steven) Gerrard. He is clever and is the right kind of player.

"He can play on the right, he can play up front. If you have clever players it makes it easier for the manager."

He added: "If you play 4-4-2, Keane can play alongside Torres. If we play 4-2-3-1 he can play as a second striker or on the right.

"He is the kind of player who is adaptable, and can be used in different positions and will give you 100%.

"Robbie is intelligent, he can play on the right and he can adapt. He is a very positive signing.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »

Pennant always look good to me when he came on for Liverpool. Isn't Babel natural position out wide. dunno just asking. You take the words out of my mouth, the arrival of Robbie Keane is potentially an upgrade to Kuyt. Those two fighting to play basically the same role. Keane technically better..Kuyt have more battling qualities...but I doh think they spending that money to start Keane on the bench. BUt who knows

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
Good buy but $15m woulda been a better cost price.
I hope Keane had some assurances that he go be playing regularly and up front.

Babel more suited to a 4-3-3 where he plays the left forward who supposed to cut back in on his right foot...but me ent see we have the personnel to play that formation, maybe if we did get Barry, then we coulda had Barry, Mascherano and Gerrard with Keane/Kuyt playing right forward.

btw Benyaoun is not a winger period. He is just a regular midfielder.

It go be interesting as to what formation we will play and i sure we go be playing 4-5-1 against the big teams..steups

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>