March 28, 2024, 11:23:54 PM

Author Topic: Robbie Keane signs for Liverpool  (Read 7665 times)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Robbie Keane signs for Liverpool
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3879397,00.html

Liverpool have announced the signing of Robbie Keane from Tottenham.

The 28-year-old was on Merseyside on Monday for a medical and to discuss personal terms after Liverpool agreed a fee which could rise to £20.3million for the Irishman.

Liverpool have quickly concluded the deal and Keane has signed a four-year deal at Anfield to end his five seasons at White Hart Lane.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has been chasing Keane all summer as he sees him as the ideal partner for Fernando Torres in attack and the Republic of Ireland international will fill the void created by Peter Crouch's departure to Portsmouth.

Keane is Liverpool's fifth signing of the summer following the arrivals of Philipp Degen, Andrea Dossena, Diego Cavalieri and David Ngog.

Former Leeds and Coventry ace Keane could make his debut for his boyhood heroes in their pre-season friendly with Villarreal on Wednesday, a game that can be seen live on Sky Sports 1.

Liverpool's pursuit of Keane upset Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy with the club reporting Liverpool to the Premier League over their interest in the Irishman.

Spurs were unhappy with Benitez for publicly declaring his interest in Keane earlier this summer believing it unsettled the player.
Complaint withdrawn
Now the move has gone through Tottenham have announced they will not pursue their official complaint to the Premier League, but Levy did reveal Keane had handed in a transfer request in a bid to secure a move to Anfield.

"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect," Levy told the club's official website.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction. I don't regard it as a transfer deal - that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade - this is very much an enforced sale, for which we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation."

Tottenham also revealed the official complaint was withdrawn after an apology and a donation to the club's main charity, the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation were made by Liverpool.

A club statement read: "Liverpool FC has also acknowledged that the way its website reported comments of its manager, which were widely covered by the media, was inappropriate and in light of that acknowledgement has apologised and agreed to make a donation to our Club's main charity, the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

"Tottenham Hotspur has therefore agreed not to pursue its official complaint to the Premier League.

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Robbie Keane signs for Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:09:52 PM »
Levy full ah sh!t, first time you hearing how Robbie submitted a transfer request.....Ramos didnt want him anymore, he should talk to d coach first before opening he mouth.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
Levy full ah sh!t, first time you hearing how Robbie submitted a transfer request.....Ramos didnt want him anymore, he should talk to d coach first before opening he mouth.

Its not when they put the complaint in, they told everybody he had put in a transfer request / said he wanted to go which was over a week ago.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
Solid signing.  Good for 20 goals every season.  Knows the Prem.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
Big player and an excellent signing. Much respect to Liverpool for this master stroke
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »
Spurs have any more players?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:49:40 PM »
Good riddance!

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »
Good riddance!

come October ah hope yuh eh bawling like 10 big strong german bee-atches dat gettin some sticks in ah hotel somewey outside Frankfurt.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:58:52 PM by Tongue »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »
Spurs didn't have a choice.  Looks like de man was "tapped up" and he went and habded in a transfer request.  He basically strong-armed this move.  He's been a L'Pool fan since boyhood.  Their loss is our gain.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »
Good riddance!

come October ah hope yuh eh bawling like 10 big strong german bee-atches dat gettin some sticks in ah hotel somewey outside Frankfurt.  ;D

the fella have passion and skill, no doubt. What I didn't like last season was when his number got called for sub, the man show real disrespect for the coach by carrying orn like ah lile ghul. chamkaying off the field.

Liverpool fans.. who space will he take? he coming off the bench?

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
Spurs didn't have a choice.  Looks like de man was "tapped up" and he went and habded in a transfer request.  He basically strong-armed this move.  He's been a L'Pool fan since boyhood.  Their loss is our gain.

That was after or before he was a boyhood Celtic supporter can't remember which

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
Spurs didn't have a choice. Looks like de man was "tapped up" and he went and habded in a transfer request. He basically strong-armed this move. He's been a L'Pool fan since boyhood. Their loss is our gain.

That was after or before he was a boyhood Celtic supporter can't remember which

You know the special bond between the two teams. ;)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

In the league? or all competitions?

Not sure if Keane has ever scored as much as 20 league goals in a season....But with a better team (Liverpool) maybe- still kinda ambitious I think. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 02:34:18 PM »
This is a very good signing for Liverpool.  In the last 4 years Robbie has scored 15, 11, 16 and 11 goals.  While it doesn't put him with the top strikers it's still pretty consistent and add to that the goals he creates and you'll recognize his value.

I have to day that coupled with Berbatov's impending departure to ManU and the wholesale changes to the squad in general it's the first time in three seasons that less confident going into a season than I was the one before.

Robbie served the Spurs admirably in the years he's been here and I wish him all the best...just not when we play against him ;).

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
I like Keane, but I think £20m is a ridiculous fee.  :beermug:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
i think this signing makes Liverpool a legitimate contender for the EPL title this season.

now they finally have a 2nd forward who can actually score goals and create them, and now I expect Dirk Kuyt to be a firm fixture on the right wing.

Keane is a man scores goals anywhere he goes, even at Inter Milan. The only reason he had a few less goals last season is because his minutes was getting ration off steady to Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe and he was always first sub and Berbatov wasn't coming off for nothing.

I remember going to watch Keane play live a couple years ago against Fulham and I was amazed at this guy's touch and control, awareness and passing.  He was dropping back deep and controlling the game, everything was going through him.

excellent move by liverpool.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
Big player Big team...Liverpool just do a good piece of business dey.

Fantasy league go be interesting

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 03:21:25 PM »
big player yes. big team not really. liverpool is proof that having big players isnt all that is needed 4 a big team
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

giggsy11

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
Just means Liverpool will finish 15 points closer to United and battle Arsenal for 3rd, while the NEARLY MEN ( Chelski) hold on to second.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »
i think this signing makes Liverpool a legitimate contender for the EPL title this season.

now they finally have a 2nd forward who can actually score goals and create them, and now I expect Dirk Kuyt to be a firm fixture on the right wing.

Keane is a man scores goals anywhere he goes, even at Inter Milan. The only reason he had a few less goals last season is because his minutes was getting ration off steady to Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe and he was always first sub and Berbatov wasn't coming off for nothing.

I remember going to watch Keane play live a couple years ago against Fulham and I was amazed at this guy's touch and control, awareness and passing.  He was dropping back deep and controlling the game, everything was going through him.

excellent move by liverpool.

Agreed- very smart hard working player- good buy for most teams...but I don't think he managed a single goal at Inter (not that I remember).... Tardelli wasn't on him man at all....Loaned him out as soon as Lippi got the boot...might have been some politics involved there (or maybe just personal preferences)

Thing about Keane though is for all his talent and his experience, I feel like only in the last 2 seasons or so, he began to enjoy being a "franchise player" as opposed to someone trying to prove himself (got screwed at Inter, had to fight for a spot in his second season at Leeds, had to fight for spot for sometime at Hotspur).......I only hope that Benitez' rotation policy doesn't mean more of the same old frustration for him....because it would be a terrible waste, and he might have been better served staying at White Hart lane or playing with a team outside of the "big 4".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:15:02 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »
dey done say he is the man to replace crouch.......

.....on the bench :-\
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »
Very good signing.
Quality player with suberb finishing.
He desparately needs a season void of injury to show his goods.

Combination of Torres and Keane looks good on paper, hope it turns out well for Keane, always liked him.

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Dat news just make my day ;D.. :applause:

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
Big player Big team...Liverpool just do a good piece of business dey.

Fantasy league go be interesting

yes big player and big team...but in england the prices for players like this ridiculous yo. that is more than barca pay for henry i think, that is too much for keane...way too much. i'd ah find ah next pato or somebody young so for half d price...but good luck to dem...they still need more for a top 2 finish though.

As for fantasy....is ah judgement...all d options right about now will have men head spinnin....buy my side pick already and we ready to go. bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »
The man touch is one of the best I ever see intelligent lil busy body ...def a good buy

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »
robbie keane iz ah boss buy...it ent have much more quality in d premier league than him and he iz ah proven scorer..a little hefty price but yuh cant compete nowadays without forking out some change....alot better buy than gareth barry.... :beermug:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 09:57:08 PM »
Big player and an excellent signing. Much respect to Liverpool for this master stroke

Agreed... boss player.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 06:55:19 AM »

Not really.

He's done well at Spurs, but he won't be enough to make the vermin serious contenders. 18 million is still way too high, Spurzzzz must be laughing all the way to the bank. Keane is worth 9-10 million tops.

I reckon Keane is another typical Liverpool signing along the lines of Harry Kewell. He'll probably score 12 goals next season. Not disastrous, but not very good either. His performances for Ireland since the 2002 World Cup have been almost uniformly terrible.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 07:50:27 AM »

Not playing out on th ewing. Benitez is not playing Keane and Torres up front as a twosome.

Expect hime to be playing where Kuyt and Babel play most games, and only sometimes up top with Torres or replacing him when he is rested.

Very good player but no guarantee that Rafa will get the best out of him.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:35 AM »

Not really.

He's done well at Spurs, but he won't be enough to make the vermin serious contenders. 18 million is still way too high, Spurzzzz must be laughing all the way to the bank. Keane is worth 9-10 million tops.

I reckon Keane is another typical Liverpool signing along the lines of Harry Kewell. He'll probably score 12 goals next season. Not disastrous, but not very good either. His performances for Ireland since the 2002 World Cup have been almost uniformly terrible.

It could not in anyway have anything to do with the quality surrounding him at Ireland?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>