June 04, 2024, 10:39:42 AM

Author Topic: After Bobby Sookram.  (Read 30896 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: After Bobby Sookram.
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2008, 07:06:42 AM »
who remember "slade" from montrose united and leeds united of the old TTFA?...he had a beard and a kinda afro back then though.

he was one time Central Footballer of the Year. still playing at age 51 with the Central Touring Team. look some pix from a work small side tournament he was in last november @ the WASA ground.

sorry bout the big pix. i eh know how to resize them for the msg board.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:28:04 AM by Andre »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2008, 07:32:55 AM »
Jeewan "Spannah" Boochoon

Palos, is dis de same Jeewan "Spannah" Boochoon who currently works at Republic Bank in T&T?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »
Ok, so you guys say it has nothing to do genetics..

just for the sake of argument.

Omar, we also don't see a world of Maori (or Samoans or Tongans) running out for New Zealand.

Indian football (as we have discussed elsewhere on the forum) does not have the roots that support the kinda influx to the EPL you suggest. Hence, I doh think dahis a fair call. (unless we expecting them to run in from Kenya or Uganda or elsewhere?)  Buh, ah sure if we ask Cyd whether he see any players in India that could flex in de Pro League he go bawl out YEH.

I hasten to add there is a difference between genetics and diet/dietetics.

asylum, how large of a subset of the world's population is Maori?

my point is, at the highest level of world football, you have visible representation from every other creed on the planet except indians.. you would be at great pains to see an indian baller outside Dhorasoo..

Not sure I agree with the grass roots explanation for indian football as an excuse. We saw a World Player of the Year from Liberia, i mean what infrastructure they have to produce a diamond in the rough like that?

The interest in football is strong on the subcontinent and this in turn drives the will to participate in the sport at some level, even if not as expansive as other more popular sports there like Cricket and field hockey. From what I've seen from the places I've been including at home in Trinidad, indians are some of the most avid football fans and most interested in playing the sport from a young age just like their contemporaries.

I just think that for a pool of how many billion people to be so under-represented on the global football stage, there has to be some other mitigating factors.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »
Wha bout they just not good

:devil: :devil: :devil: ;D ;D ;D

Is only exception to the rule alyuh men grasping at and in the scheme of things none of them ever light up any field they were all just as good as the next man of a different race on the side.

Is body shape, size and frame.

When last you see a Indian Track and Field athlete?....Is distance not the power events they participate in.

Any ever play NBA or stand out in college?

Any Swimmers out there?

Any Rugby or NFL Indians about?

Who besides Chopra (1/2 breed) playing in the EPL.

Indian players are a rare sight in colleges league. Then in comparison to their team mates the % that special or better than the rest are few if not far between.

If they not lighting up secondary schools league, PFL, the national team on the junior levels...how much Indian on the under 15,17,20,23  or signing contract to play abroad then how yuh could expect a Indian to appear on the national team.

I NOT SAYING THEY ENT HAVE GOOD INDIAN PLAYERS IN TT.  It is just for every "good" Indian player they have a equally good chinee or whiteboy and the number of mixed or Negro players exceeds them. Dat is all no science no kinda heights.

They had about 4 thread on this topic from Dhorasso,Level of Sweat, Athletic ability, options after school etc.

It is not a big deal..

The ones who could play not good enough in the scheme of things to be better than their Negro or Mixed counterparts. At the end of the day the best players are representing whatever team.

I think is genetics, culture, education, parental values and attitudes, stigma, bias, money and other opportunities available to them...which makes football a recreational thing or something not to be taken seriously. WHich is why it is not pursued past high school level seriously. Nuttin wrong with that!

Honestly though how much of alyuh watching that picture of Ryan Dipsingh and feeling intimidated of meeting him on a field?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
w.r.t. football in india, a short but interesting read from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_India

this catch me:

The national football team was also quite successful until the 1970s, qualifying for Olympic tournaments and the FIFA World Cup. The team qualified for the 1950 World Cup finals in Brazil, but could not appear as they still played in their bare feet at that time.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »
asylum, how large of a subset of the world's population is Maori?

I eh sure dahis de question yuh want to ask ...

Ah sense de more pertinent question is what's the % tage of Maori (and other sub-groups) relative to NZ's total population ...

If yuh want to extrapolate then yuh could ask about how many indigenous peoples kick ball globally anyway ...

All I saying is de barometer yuh used there isn't appropriate ...

And, come nah man ... ent you know how Weah buss?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:08:59 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »

Is only exception to the rule alyuh men grasping at and in the scheme of things none of them ever light up any field they were all just as good as the next man of a different race on the side.

When last you see a Indian Track and Field athlete?....Is distance not the power events they participate in.

Any Swimmers out there?

Indian players are a rare sight in colleges league. Then in comparison to their team mates the % that special or better than the rest are few if not far between.

If they not lighting up secondary schools league, PFL, the national team on the junior levels...how much Indian on the under 15,17,20,23  or signing contract to play abroad then how yuh could expect a Indian to appear on the national team.

I NOT SAYING THEY ENT HAVE GOOD INDIAN PLAYERS IN TT.  It is just for every "good" Indian player they have a equally good chinee or whiteboy and the number of mixed or Negro players exceeds them. Dat is all no science no kinda heights.

They had about 4 thread on this topic from Dhorasso,Level of Sweat, Athletic ability, options after school etc.

It is not a big deal..

The ones who could play not good enough in the scheme of things to be better than their Negro or Mixed counterparts. At the end of the day the best players are representing whatever team.

I think is genetics, culture, education, parental values and attitudes, stigma, bias, money and other opportunities available to them...which makes football a recreational thing or something not to be taken seriously. WHich is why it is not pursued past high school level seriously. Nuttin wrong with that!

Honestly though how much of alyuh watching that picture of Ryan Dipsingh and feeling intimidated of meeting him on a field?

True talk, Touches...fine leg cant hold up for football on a high level. ;D
Hart for president

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
Leh we say - given the population of Indians, Chinese etc ... after de appropriate investment and after a suitable period of time passes, if dey cyah buss then dey never will make de mark... buh ah cyah see how we could conclude all manner of genetics etc ... when de state of their game is what it is

I seeing plenty skill on display when ah see AFC highlights and club level ... Ah hadda believe there is hope ... why we treating Indians any different than say? Arabs! ... dem men eh exactly light de planet afire either ... buh who here go put dey neck on a chopping block to say ... YOW, dey cyah sweat.

And since we making distinctions between "douglas" and 100%s ... doh include no Arabs of mixed race or any of the black ones in trying to compare. ::)

De game is de game is de game.  Some South Americans short and wide buh dey handle dey stories. Some Europeans tall and wide buh dey handle dey stories. Wha Deeks say earlier? Size is an asset, but skill and speed are what matters. AMEN.

I jes cyah see how "we" can comfortably push ah genetics scene but would be offended if de same genetics were applied on say de question of intelligence.  ???

ANYWAY, this thread is really about the Trini context and the Trini context alone ... men already hit de high points ... it would be "lovely" to see a kaleidoscope on a T&T team buh if we gehhin that, leh we geh it in yachting and breadfruitpicking and mangostoning too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:14:44 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:32 AM »

I jes cyah see how we can comfortably push ah genetics scene but would be offended if de same genetics were applied on say de question of intelligence.  ???

lawd, now yuh gone and cross de fackin line!  >:(   ;D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
I went there reluctantly.

I jes cyah see how we can comfortably push ah genetics scene but would be offended if de same genetics were applied on say de question of intelligence.  ???

But, I did append a line after that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:18:23 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »

breds i just kicksing..

thats actually a valid point.  :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Jeewan "Spannah" Boochoon

Palos, is dis de same Jeewan "Spannah" Boochoon who currently works at Republic Bank in T&T?

One and de same.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2008, 11:06:30 AM »
Signal Hill's Frankie Mohammed.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »

breds i just kicksing..

thats actually a valid point.  :beermug:

Seen. And Read.

I jes din bother to puh a smiley after 'reluctantly' ...

The trajectory on that was parabolic ... ;)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »
VB go know dis one....

Lester Joseph

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »

Any Swimmers out there?

It is not a big deal..

True talk, Touches...fine leg cant hold up for football on a high level. ;D

weight training could take care of that ;)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:44 AM »
The Boodoo brothers lead by the eldest, Leslie (Texaco), Son Ramroop, Dr. Terry Ali (top of the line GK for Naparima), Hollick Emrit (deceased). There are fete match teams in T&T right now with all East Indian players who will give you a run fuh yuh money.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »
Ironically years later, an Indian GK from Fatima played for the national U-19 squad. Ah forget he name. But ah sure sammo remember.

VB

Chris Saga....boss keeper

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »
Sean Ramdoo was a decent Indian footballer for Fatima in the 80s, not sure why he did not go on to give it a try professionally, perhaps VB or other contemporaries of his may know. 

I also remember Caledonia AIA (of all clubs  ;D) having an Indian in their back four in the mid 80s, but perhaps he was not much to speak of.  They also had a white boy called Whiteside who had some touches.....

PS:  Honourable mention: The socalabourers have a wicked defensive midifielder called Monty alias Mohammed  ;D

If anybody know sean ramdoo is me,and he was also dougla,all the brothers were talented,kenneth,alister,spidey,alvin,but politics kept them out of reach.......     

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »
Sean Ramdoo was a decent Indian footballer for Fatima in the 80s, not sure why he did not go on to give it a try professionally, perhaps VB or other contemporaries of his may know. 

I also remember Caledonia AIA (of all clubs  ;D) having an Indian in their back four in the mid 80s, but perhaps he was not much to speak of.  They also had a white boy called Whiteside who had some touches.....

PS:  Honourable mention: The socalabourers have a wicked defensive midifielder called Monty alias Mohammed  ;D

If anybody know sean ramdoo is me,and he was also dougla,all the brothers were talented,kenneth,alister,spidey,alvin,but politics kept them out of reach.......     

What politics???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Ahmed Charles(player before  we times).Heard he was a good player. He payed for TT. The Sadaphal brothers(Vernon and Ellis). Ellis played for TT and Vernon was a boss mid-field player. Hashim Khan and Artie Arjoon(both keepers played for Tranquil). Hashim played for Paragon. Zafar Khan from St. James Played with me at QRC. Even Valentino Singh was a keeper at QRC. Zafar and Tino were Havard boys.

I remember Tesoro Palo Seco had a Indian/Dougla playing a defensive mid. He was rough. Short guy was quick and tackled hard. Coops might remeber him. DF and Tesoro used to clash pretty often in them times.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2008, 02:53:08 PM »
I believe indian players are naturally drawn to cricket, if they play more football then we may see more talented indian players, culture might be the main reason and not genetics for the lack of plenty talented indian players.  I have seen quite a few in south that played for pres, naps, benedicts, p town, point, fyzo, etc, you get my drift..they exist.

A few that came to mind are emile allahar (national under 17 reserve keeper...that national team was captained by avery john..allahar was also a national youth cricketer), vijay samaroo also another national youth player (mod sec, pres, p town), kevin mohammed (pres/capatin of pt fortin prior to transferring to pres).

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »
Ironically years later, an Indian GK from Fatima played for the national U-19 squad. Ah forget he name. But ah sure sammo remember.

VB

Ah make a mıstake, I believe it was actually the U-23 squad he played with.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »
All yuh help wid dis one, it was a very long time ago, what about Anthony Danoolal? Ah not sure about de correct name or de spelling, but ah think watching ball as ah yute back home, there was a a wicked Indian player from de green machine wid dat name. Dat boi was real good doh, ah not sure if he made de national team or if he did, how many games he played. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Wade and Beasley - De real deal

Large up de Alliance, especially de war lord and poor people governor, Bounty Killer and de war teacher Mavado. Guidance where ever you all may stand right now my breddahs. You all are de real big men in dat business, bless, bless.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:54:46 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »

VB

Ah make a mıstake, I believe it was actually the U-23 squad he played with.

VB

yeah he was on ah under 23 (olympic team)..he was also was one of the reserve keepers on ah under 19 squad (other reserve..warren steele), first choice keeper was neverson...i think this was 1988...

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
3 page of Indian Ballers and alyuh ent call the tallest, strongest, biggest and Rough Tackling one yet....Imagine a  darker, fitter version of Chris Garcia, long hair and all.

Our esteemed Under 20 and Under 23 Captain...Phillip Copeland.

He used to play stopper, he was a good player wonder what happened to him.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2008, 02:07:55 AM »
All yuh help wid dis one, it was a very long time ago, what about Anthony Danoolal? Ah not sure about de correct name or de spelling, but ah think watching ball as ah yute back home, there was a a wicked Indian player from de green machine wid dat name. Dat boi was real good doh, ah not sure if he made de national team or if he did, how many games he played. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Wade and Beasley - De real deal

Large up de Alliance, especially de war lord and poor people governor, Bounty Killer and de war teacher Mavado. Guidance where ever you all may stand right now my breddahs. You all are de real big men in dat business, bless, bless.

Supa yuh have to be careful how yuh calling and bigging up gansters around here yuh know star, these upper class ppl doh like to hear dat, best yuh send ah shout out to HRM ELIZEBETH the 2nd instead ah dem ghetto rats especially yardies, that would be ah much more suitable choice.

i just talk ah bit favorable about certin men who was in the life and they wanted to castrate meh, so word to the wise, watch who yuh big up on the key board.    :devil: :devil: ; ::) :beermug:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:33 AM »
I can't speak for what his chances or aspirations may have been to play for our national team, but, Shirvan Pragg, may he rest in peace, was one of the best indian footballers I have ever seen in T&T.  Bobby Sookram has a son, Geoffrey, that was very talented as well, but his interest in football seemed to have trailed off after Under-16.  Ramdoo from Fatima was a reallly good player in truth.  Jack he jacket.   Most of the posts are interesting.......

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »
3 page of Indian Ballers and alyuh ent call the tallest, strongest, biggest and Rough Tackling one yet....Imagine a  darker, fitter version of Chris Garcia, long hair and all.

Our esteemed Under 20 and Under 23 Captain...Phillip Copeland.

He used to play stopper, he was a good player wonder what happened to him.

Yeah Copeland was a strong son of a b****. I thought about him on this thread but forgot to mention..... He had a decent left foot. I've played against him before- very sturdy solid fella... Would be interesting to know what happened to him for real.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:05 PM »
I can't speak for what his chances or aspirations may have been to play for our national team, but, Shirvan Pragg, may he rest in peace, was one of the best indian footballers I have ever seen in T&T.  Bobby Sookram has a son, Geoffrey, that was very talented as well, but his interest in football seemed to have trailed off after Under-16.  Ramdoo from Fatima was a reallly good player in truth.  Jack he jacket.   Most of the posts are interesting.......
Thank yuh !
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>